• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Saga/Series, V4

Which saga has been your favorite so far?

• Original Series (Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto)

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • Advanced Generation (Hoenn, Kanto [Battle Frontier])

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Diamond & Pearl (Sinnoh)

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Black & White / Best Wishes (Unova, Decolore Islands)

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • XY (Kalos)

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Sun & Moon (Alola)

Votes: 18 15.4%

• Total voters

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Best series are still Battle Frontier, Kanto&Orange Islands, and DP for me. Everything else is mediocre at best to plain awful imo.

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
OS to me is the best. I’m not all about battles like it seems the majority of the people watching Pokemon are, so the bad battles don’t affect me as much. Everyone had deep backstories &/or characters, even CotDs. It was the only time where I can go back and laugh at some of the jokes it did when later on I don’t, & there are a lot of deep touching moments as well as dark moments here that are missing after OS.

After OS: DP > Hoenn > Alola > Kalos > Journeys > Isshu

RafaSceptile

Damn, the hate is still visible. I think I should be a bit more benevolent with my previous rankings:

1. SM - 8.2/10:
    Thanks Journeys for that episode in Alola, showing continuity and consistency with the end of the series
  2. DP - 8.0/10: Especially after rewatching some episodes and looking that even the fillers were not bad for 10 years of the same formula. Also I'm valuing Ash and Paul's rivalry a bit more)
  3. AG Battle Frontier - 7.7/10, the same as before
  4. JN - 7.0/10: This is still a very confident rank, but I think the overall episodes in the series are good (Except some fillers). If JN was better as a whole series instead of individual episodes, its ranking could be higher.
  5. XY - 6.8/10: After rewatching some episodes, I don't feel the same rewatched value that other regions had like DP, probably because the hype was gone especially during XYZ.
  6. OS Orange Islands 6.7/10: I still think this is probably the most underrated season in the anime. Also I'm valuing Ash VS Drake better than before, for the first full battle in the anime, it was very good.
  7. AG Hoenn League: 6/10, the same as before
  8. BW Unova League 5.9/10, previously I said that it feels like OS Kanto League again, but certainly it made things better, also I enjoyed the tounrmantes during this series.
  9. OS Kanto League 5.7/10, the same as before
  10. OS Johto League 5.5/10, the same as before
  11. BW Decolora Islands 2.5/10: Ok I was a bit unfair with this ranking before.
So far everything about this remains, probably Journeys and XY a bit lower as they really aged not as good as the other series

just my opinion but I really think XY has aged quite well, there's a reason people still have a lot of her in mind and look forward to anything from Kalos, On the contrary, when something from Unova or Alola comes back, it doesn't generate hype in majority of people, I think.

RafaSceptile

just my opinion but I really think XY has aged quite well, there's a reason people still have a lot of her in mind and look forward to anything from Kalos, On the contrary, when something from Unova or Alola comes back, it doesn't generate hype in majority of people, I think.
So far I saw a lot more interest for Iris' return than Korrina, and Korrina was very popular during the XY days, probably more than Iris during the BW days

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
BW

The openings were bops in the dub and sub
Champion queen Iris being the best poke girl only tied with Lillie and Dawn
They dynamic between the group felt organic and each of them had their own chemistry with each other besides just following Ash
Gave us our first poke girl thats fully battle oriented and competent
All of the gang had rivals (albeit terrible rivals) and the banter between them was funny and entertaining like Burgundy's and Georgia's relationship during the Junior Club
Besides Ash's terrible reset, the anime had some interesting moments like Mewoth faking like he was kicked out of team rocket, the true reason Iris was avoiding opelucid city etc
The tournaments were interesting and a great way for the rivals to interact.

So far I saw a lot more interest for Iris' return than Korrina, and Korrina was very popular during the XY days, probably more than Iris during the BW days
that's like comparing serena with some unova leader

I always see that people, mostly outside the fandom, have as much esteem for XY as they do for DP and even more, I don't see that happening with other series, in fact, fans of AG and SM almost always say that their seasons are underrated and that XY is overrated, which may be true but still makes me more right because because most people love series like OS or XY, although I really don't know if DP is called overrated all the time but still is very loved but that's just me

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

that's like comparing serena with some unova leader

I always see that people, mostly outside the fandom, have as much esteem for XY as they do for DP and even more, I don't see that happening with other series, in fact, fans of AG and SM almost always say that their seasons are underrated and that XY is overrated, which may be true but still makes me more right because because most people love series like OS or XY, although I really don't know if DP is called overrated all the time but still is very loved but that's just me
I mean most people love DP and a decent part of them also agree than XY is overrated, particulary in the Spanish fandom. So it is not like it is exclusive to AG or SM fans

I mean most people love DP and a decent part of them also agree than XY is overrated, particulary in the Spanish fandom. So it is not like it is exclusive to AG or SM fans
My favorite series is XY and I think it’s overrated

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I think XYZ is overrated
XY's first two seasons and the first three Mega evolutions deserve a lot of praise imo and rightfully get it a lot of the time
Sure there were still missteps for me like Serena and Goodra, but overall the first 2 seasons were great and none of those issues would have mattered if third season aka XYZ delivered properly. Unfortunately I found it rushed af, more hype then substance and ultimately unsatisfying
I'd also controversially say AG, minus the BF aspect is overrated as well. May's rivals were a highlight but don't do that much when imo their best moments come in BF anyway and contests + Mays arc imo sucked. It was funny at times though that I'd say

I think XYZ is overrated
XY's first two seasons and the first three Mega evolutions deserve a lot of praise imo and rightfully get it a lot of the time
Sure there were still missteps for me like Serena and Goodra, but overall the first 2 seasons were great and none of those issues would have mattered if third season aka XYZ delivered properly. Unfortunately I found it rushed af, more hype then substance and ultimately unsatisfying
I'd also controversially say AG, minus the BF aspect is overrated as well. May's rivals were a highlight but don't do that much when imo their best moments come in BF anyway and contests + Mays arc imo sucked. It was funny at times though that I'd say
I agree that XYZ is overrated (focused way to much on Greninja and the league sucked)
I was hyped for AG but found all of it (minus the first season) mediocre. Some of the BF battles were good though
Sinnoh League Victors and Diamond and Pearl have been my favorite seasons that I’ve watched so far

I know, but these are subjective opinions and I am not defending that it is not overrated, I'm just saying that the fact that it is so loved (overrated or not) gives me the reason that it evolved well over time, this pattern is more noticeable when you ask people who are not inside the fandom. Just look at the IGN poll for an example, XYZ came in first place with much difference.

I understand that due to its extreme popularity people called it overrated, and I could agree on some things, but again, I'm not arguing that, I'm just arguing which series is still relevant in otaku or general culture to this day, and for me that is good evolution, beyond your own opinions about the plot.

I also think that this is precisely why a return of XY or something related to Kalos is so requested by the fandom, something that does not happen with BW and even SM in my opinion

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Something that’s always bothered me is when people bring up the fact that Serena and Clemont only talked every dozen episodes unless pertaining to Ash, people have this weird obsession claiming that the DP trio’s group dynamic was bad because Dawn and Brock weren’t particularly that close. Dawn brought up Brock twice during her appearances in each saga and they clearly had dynamics beyond Ash. I’m not sure why people bring this up instead of just admitting that the XY group had the worse interaction dynamic in the history of Pokémon.

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
Something that’s always bothered me is when people bring up the fact that Serena and Clemont only talked every dozen episodes unless pertaining to Ash, people have this weird obsession claiming that the DP trio’s group dynamic was bad because Dawn and Brock weren’t particularly that close. Dawn brought up Brock twice during her appearances in each saga and they clearly had dynamics beyond Ash. I’m not sure why people bring this up instead of just admitting that the XY group had the worse interaction dynamic in the history of Pokémon.
I wholeheartedly agree

That was a great thing about the Alola gang.