• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Shoujo Manga

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Discuss your favorite shoujo titles, and please give a brief description what you like about them.

One of my current favorites is Skip Beat! by Yoshiki Nakamura.
It's about a girl named Kyoko who dropped out of school and moved to Tokyo with her "true love", Sho, who wants to become a singer. She pretty much just supports him and cleans up after him, but then she finds out that he was just using her as a maid. Kyoko loses it and swears to get revenge on Sho by becoming a bigger celebrity than him.

I didn't like it too much when I read the preview in Shojo Beat. I didn't like the art style, and I didn't think it was very funny either. But I ended up reading it at Borders, and after getting through the first volume, I was hooked. I got used to the art style, and actually, I think it fits the characters' personalities well. Plus it's hilarious once you get toward the end of the first volume. I think Kyoko is a pretty relateable character, and the way she acts out her emotions is so funny, and so are her fantasy ideals about life. Romance is pretty good too, once you get to volume 4. It's hilarious, sweet, and original. One of the best shojo I've ever read.

zonic the hedgehog

HUR HUR USER TITLE
Hana Yori Dango is so classic. :3

Makino is one of my favorite female characters, although Nodame is more original personality-wise than her.

I'm also really like Nodame Cantabile, but that's actually josei and not shoujo (although I usually can't tell the difference).

I like to read shoujo for all the fluff moments, cuz' if I ever have a hard day of work, it's always good to read something fluffy and cute.

I also like Penguin Revolution and Cat Street because I like main characters who are/were also things like singers/actors. I think it's an interesting concept that's not used too often compared to fantasy-oriented series.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Uh, not shoujo/josei straddlers like Nodame Cantabile, right?

Probably either Nana or Mars. They're both soap operas, yeah, but they're addictive, well-written soap operas that are well above the cut-and-paste trash that you so frequently see.

Please Save My Earth is another very good shoujo.

Definitely NANA, though I have a pet peeve about manga being about music when you can't actually hear any of said music.

Really, Shoujo just doesn't seem to have much to offer. Josei, on the other hand, is awesome.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Definitely NANA, though I have a pet peeve about manga being about music when you can't actually hear any of said music.

Nana is about music?

I only pay attention to the lurv, sex, and lulz. Oh, and the purdy art (that isn't typical shoujo-deformation!).

Really, Shoujo just doesn't seem to have much to offer. Josei, on the other hand, is awesome.

Kiriko Nanan and Kyoko Okazaki are awesome.

Nana is about music?

I only pay attention to the lurv, sex, and lulz. Oh, and the purdy art (that isn't typical shoujo-deformation!).

I guess it isn't really a 'music manga' in a sense that it isn't the full of the story, but it still features it, and the music is one of the reasons why I personally enjoy the anime more due to the fact that it's, well, there for me to listen to.

But yes, those things certainly are nice.

Kiriko Nanan and Kyoko Okazaki are awesome.

Looked them up... interesting. Really need to check them out.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Looked them up... interesting. Really need to check them out.

Nanan's Blue and Okazaki's Helter Skelter and River's Edge should be mandatory reading for manga snobs who with access to scanlations.

Though Nanan's Blue is actually available by Fanfare/Ponent Mon in English. Hard to find because Fanfare's literally run by one man, but it's a masterpiece.

I'm not big shoujo guy even though I have some.

I did like HOME

Cain Saga pretty cool.

some others i'm forgetting.

Josei is neat.

Oh yea one of my college class actually had an shoujo manga ka over toalk to us. Her name is Mena Nakai. Showed us some of her original works which is neat to see.

She was also surprise how much I know about anime/manga. Because I'm THAT awesome!

Anzua2

I'm sad to say I can't find very many decent Shoujo. The only thing I can truthfully say I've read is CCS, and even then I was just skimming.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Nanan's Blue and Okazaki's Helter Skelter and River's Edge should be mandatory reading for manga snobs who with access to scanlations.

Though Nanan's Blue is actually available by Fanfare/Ponent Mon in English. Hard to find because Fanfare's literally run by one man, but it's a masterpiece.

I'm searching with all my spirit. It shall be mine!

This it?

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I read that in the library. Pretty good if ya ask

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Perhaps the same could be said of all genres!

Demographics. Shoujo, shounen, seinen, josei are demographics.

But same difference. Most shoujo are crappy. Most shounen are crappy. You get the idea.

Anzua2

It's far easier to find a good Shonen/Mecha than it is to find a good Shoujo/Magical Girl.

Or at least, that's been my experience.

zonic the hedgehog

HUR HUR USER TITLE
I guess it isn't really a 'music manga' in a sense that it isn't the full of the story, but it still features it, and the music is one of the reasons why I personally enjoy the anime more due to the fact that it's, well, there for me to listen to.

But yes, those things certainly are nice.

I'd say the same for BECK and Nodame Cantabile (although you can just look-up the music for the latter, since it's all classic music), but that doesn't make them any less interesting.

I read them for the story and characters mostly, but the music is a great complement to the story.
I've actually learned more of about classical music reading Nodame Cantabile. The mangaka is incredible doing all this research (or maybe she knows a lot of this already?).

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
The only Shoujo I've read is Card Captor Sakura. Yeah... I don't read much manga.