1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Signature Pokemon of the Johto region (and Gen 2 Kanto changes)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by shoz999, Apr 5, 2019.

1. shoz999

shoz999 The Legend of Mudkip

What are "Signature Pokemon"? They are usually the Ace Pokemon, the strongest of the strong, the most well-known member of a characters team, very representative of their trainers. Usually there's only one signature Pokemon but in rare cases like Jasmine, they can be more than one. Anyways the list is the Favorite Signature Pokemon of the Johto region as in this is not really limited to just Gen 2. For example, Archer & his fellow admins are here even though they didn't officially appear until Gen 4. Also keep in mind, this is based on only the games. No Pokemon Adventures manga, no Pokemon anime, just the games.

Known Characters of Johto & Kanto
    • Li's Bellsprout
    • Eusine's Electrode
    • Karate King Kaiyo's Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Tyrogue
    • Red's Pikachu
    • Silver's Crobat
    Kimono Girls
    • Naoko's Flareon
    • Kuni's Vaporeon
    • Miki's Jolteon
    • Sayo's Espeon
    • Zuki's Umbreon
    Team Rocket
    • Proton's Weezing
    • Petrel's Weezing
    • Ariana's Murkrow
    • Archer's Houndoom
    Johto Gym Leaders
    • Falkner's Pidgeotto
    • Bugsy's Scyther
    • Whitney's Miltank
    • Morty's Gengar
    • Chuck's Poliwrath
    • Jasmine's Steelix & Ampharos
    • Pryce's Piloswine
    • Clair's Kingdra
    Elite Four & Champion
    • Will's Xatu
    • Koga's Crobat
    • Bruno's Machamp
    • Karen's Houndoom
    • Lance's Dragonite
    Kanto Gym Leaders
    • Brock's Onix
    • Misty's Starmie
    • Surge's Raichu
    • Erika's Bellossom
    • Janine's Venomoth
    • Sabrina's Alakazam
    • Blaine's Rapidash
    Anyone you think I missed? Also if you disagree with the list, that's fine. Feel free to express it as I just like to categorize this kind of stuff. If not, anyone here that are your favorites?

As for my personal categorization, Johto's a bit tough. I originally planned to exclude Gen 2 changes to the Kanto Gym Leaders to the Kanto list. Erika gets Bellossom, Blaine gets Rapidash but then there's Janine who is a character of Gen 2 which is associated with Johto. I thought about it and decided to just add her to the Kanto list but then it hit me. The Elite Four, which includes Will & Karen, are also based in Kanto and most fans normally associate them to Johto than Kanto and it would be strange for a Johto list not to have it's own Elite Four portion, at least for me. So Johto is definitely a tough one. Honestly I'm thinking of retitling this "Gen 2 and remakes", especially since Archer isn't named until Gen 4.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Fushiki likes this.
  2. LusoTrainer

LusoTrainer Retro Trainer

Silver's Crobat. It was his first legitimate Pokémon, it stays with him throughout his journey, it's his highest level Pokémon (aside from the stolen starter) and its final evolution reflects the character's change of heart, since it can only be achieved through its happiness/friendship. Also, like Silver was introduced in Gen II and has a connection to the previous generation (through Giovanni), the same applies to Crobat, an evolution introduced in Gen II linked to a Gen I species (Zubat).

Leonhart, BTS_fan and shoz999 like this.
  3. Ignition

Ignition Praise Wooloo or persish

I hate how many Johto trainers have Kanto aces

My favorite is Pyrce & Piloswine + Karen & Houndoom. They fit their trainers well and these are in my top 10 Johto Pokèmon

shoz999 likes this.
  4. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

Kingdra, it is actually a Generation II Pokemon, unlike things like Gengar and Poliwrath. I also like its elegant looks and typing.

5. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

As odd as this may sound given its bad reputation, I will admit to liking Akane's Miltank. Even though it's awful to fight, I think Miltank is pretty cool.

shoz999 likes this.
  6. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Blackpink

Red's Pikachu which I always viewed as the games' version of Ash's Pikachu. Hell, Red's whole team was an Ash reference right?

Leonhart and FullmetalJackie like this.
  7. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I always kind of assumed that Red's team in G/S/C was more of a reference to Pokemon Special. Either way, his Pikachu was the highest leveled Pokemon in Gold and Silver I believe.

8. LusoTrainer

LusoTrainer Retro Trainer

No, it was a reference to the game storyline.

FullmetalJackie likes this.
  9. FullmetalJackie

FullmetalJackie Red & Green

Clair's Kingdra since Kingdra was Gen 2's only new dragon type Pokemon so it felt more exotic than some of the other ace Pokemon that the other Gym Leaders used.

Leonhart and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  10. Fushiki

Fushiki Golden Orchid

Clair's Kingdra, Karen's Houndoom and Erika's Bellossom.
    Kingdra and Houndoom because I used these two during the whole adventure on Pokémon Gold, while Bellossom is one of the most adorable Pokémon in existence.

WishIhadaManafi5 and Leonhart like this.
  11. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Kingdra sticks in my mind as well if only because every time that I battled it in G/S/C, I had no Dragon-type on my team, so I had to battle Kingdra without being able to use type advantage against it. Its type combination made it really challenging to beat.

Fushiki likes this.