• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Signature Pokemon of the Johto region (and Gen 2 Kanto changes)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
What are "Signature Pokemon"? They are usually the Ace Pokemon, the strongest of the strong, the most well-known member of a characters team, very representative of their trainers. Usually there's only one signature Pokemon but in rare cases like Jasmine, they can be more than one. Anyways the list is the Favorite Signature Pokemon of the Johto region as in this is not really limited to just Gen 2. For example, Archer & his fellow admins are here even though they didn't officially appear until Gen 4. Also keep in mind, this is based on only the games. No Pokemon Adventures manga, no Pokemon anime, just the games.

Known Characters of Johto & Kanto
  • Li's Bellsprout
  • Eusine's Electrode
  • Karate King Kaiyo's Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Tyrogue
  • Red's Pikachu
  • Silver's Crobat
Kimono Girls
  • Naoko's Flareon
  • Kuni's Vaporeon
  • Miki's Jolteon
  • Sayo's Espeon
  • Zuki's Umbreon
Team Rocket
  • Proton's Weezing
  • Petrel's Weezing
  • Ariana's Murkrow
  • Archer's Houndoom
Johto Gym Leaders
  • Falkner's Pidgeotto
  • Bugsy's Scyther
  • Whitney's Miltank
  • Morty's Gengar
  • Chuck's Poliwrath
  • Jasmine's Steelix & Ampharos
  • Pryce's Piloswine
  • Clair's Kingdra
Elite Four & Champion
  • Will's Xatu
  • Koga's Crobat
  • Bruno's Machamp
  • Karen's Houndoom
  • Lance's Dragonite
Kanto Gym Leaders
  • Brock's Onix
  • Misty's Starmie
  • Surge's Raichu
  • Erika's Bellossom
  • Janine's Venomoth
  • Sabrina's Alakazam
  • Blaine's Rapidash
Anyone you think I missed? Also if you disagree with the list, that's fine. Feel free to express it as I just like to categorize this kind of stuff. If not, anyone here that are your favorites?

As for my personal categorization, Johto's a bit tough. I originally planned to exclude Gen 2 changes to the Kanto Gym Leaders to the Kanto list. Erika gets Bellossom, Blaine gets Rapidash but then there's Janine who is a character of Gen 2 which is associated with Johto. I thought about it and decided to just add her to the Kanto list but then it hit me. The Elite Four, which includes Will & Karen, are also based in Kanto and most fans normally associate them to Johto than Kanto and it would be strange for a Johto list not to have it's own Elite Four portion, at least for me. So Johto is definitely a tough one. Honestly I'm thinking of retitling this "Gen 2 and remakes", especially since Archer isn't named until Gen 4.

Last edited:

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
Silver's Crobat. It was his first legitimate Pokémon, it stays with him throughout his journey, it's his highest level Pokémon (aside from the stolen starter) and its final evolution reflects the character's change of heart, since it can only be achieved through its happiness/friendship. Also, like Silver was introduced in Gen II and has a connection to the previous generation (through Giovanni), the same applies to Crobat, an evolution introduced in Gen II linked to a Gen I species (Zubat).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I hate how many Johto trainers have Kanto aces

My favorite is Pyrce & Piloswine + Karen & Houndoom. They fit their trainers well and these are in my top 10 Johto Pokèmon

Leonhart

Imagineer
I always kind of assumed that Red's team in G/S/C was more of a reference to Pokemon Special. Either way, his Pikachu was the highest leveled Pokemon in Gold and Silver I believe.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kingdra sticks in my mind as well if only because every time that I battled it in G/S/C, I had no Dragon-type on my team, so I had to battle Kingdra without being able to use type advantage against it. Its type combination made it really challenging to beat.

MockingJ

Banned
Pryce's Piloswine although it's due to how the anime made me sympathize with it. Clair's Kingdra was also memorable because it was so tough to beat, and Whitney's Miltank is up there too.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
When GS came out I was a huge fan of Steel Pokemon so I always liked Jasmine's Steelix. I know that Ampharos might also be considered her mascot Pokemon since she keeps one at the lighthouse but I think little of it because she never battled with it in GS.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I know that Ampharos might also be considered her mascot Pokemon since she keeps one at the lighthouse but I think little of it because she never battled with it in GS.

I personally don't think that Akari-chan (Amphy) should count as her ace Pokemon since she only ever used it in battle in the Pokemon Special manga, but not in any of the games if I recall correctly.

jaden767

Amphetamine
Even though it was a hell of a Pokemon to face in the gym match I still consider Whitney's Miltank to be the most memorable signature Pokemon in the Gen 2 games. Clair's Kingdra is a close 2nd.

Sakuyamon

Lance's Dragonite and by that I mean his Lv 50 one which I'm guessing is his main Pokemon and was the one that he used to attack the Team Rocket member inside the shop at Mahogany Town.

Venomshock

I liked Whitney's Miltank even though it was the devil in disguise. It seemed like such a weird mon for Whitney to own but it ended up being the most iconic Gen 2 Pokemon that a gym leader owned.