• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Signature Pokemon of the Kanto region.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
What are "Signature Pokemon"? They are usually the Ace Pokemon, the strongest of the strong, the most well-known member of a characters team, very representative of their trainers. Usually there's only one signature Pokemon but in rare cases like Red, there can be more than one. Anyways the list is the Favorite Signature Pokemon of the Kanto region as in this is not really limited to just Gen 1. For example I've included the female protagonist Green in the list. Although she did appeared in Gen 1 artwork, she never appeared in the games until Gen 3's FireRed & LeafGreen. However she didn't get her signature Pokemon, Blastoise, until Pokemon Let's Go. Also keep in mind, this is based on only the games. No Pokemon Adventures manga, no Pokemon anime, just the games.

List of Known Signature Pokemon
Known Characters
  • Red's Pikachu
  • Red's Venusaur
  • Blue's/Green's (Rival) Eevee
  • Blue's/Green's (Rival) Charizard
  • Green's/Blue's (Fem Protag) Blastoise
  • Karate King Kiyo's Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee
  • Jessie's Arbok
  • James's Weezing
  • Trace's Jolteon/Raichu
Gym Leaders
  • Brock's Onix
  • Misty's Starmie
  • Surge's Raichu
  • Erika's Vileplume
  • Koga's Weezingm, Golbat, Venomoth
  • Sabrina's Alakazam
  • Blaine's Arcanine
  • Giovanni's Rhydon
Elite Four
  • Lorelei's Lapras
  • Bruno's Machamp
  • Agatha's Gengar
  • Lance's Dragonite
Anyone you think I missed? Also if you disagree with the list, that's fine. Feel free to express it as I just like to categorize this kind of stuff. If not, anyone here that are your favorites?

Last edited:

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
I'm pretty sure Koga's signature Pokémon is Weezing. And I always saw Green's signature Pokémon as being Pidgeot. It's the first Pokémon he caught and stays in his team to the very end, in both generations (same with Silver and Crobat).

As for my favorite, that's probably Giovanni's Rhydon.

shoz999

I'm pretty sure Koga's signature Pokémon is Weezing. And I always saw Green's signature Pokémon as being Pidgeot. It's the first Pokémon he caught and stays in his team to the very end, in both generations (same with Silver and Crobat).

As for my favorite, that's probably Giovanni's Rhydon.
Koga's pretty inconsistent in his appearances and he's the only Gym Leader never to make an appearance in the World Tournament. In his Kanto and Johto appearances it's usually Weezing, Golbat or Venomoth. Anyways, I've updated it as you do make a point but as for Green (Rival), I don't think Pidgeot would be consider his signature Pokemon. It's a very consistent one and started a bird trend with later rivals but it's not his ace Pokemon, his strongest or one of his memorable standouts. That would go to either Eevee who played as the rival's starter in Pokemon Yellow and as seen in the artwork or Charizard who is seen as Green's starter Pokemon in the artwork and is later established as his canon starter in Let's Go.

Last edited:

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
The rival's best Pokémon is the starter with type advantage opposite to the one chosen by the protagonist. Since it varies, I refer to the constant (i.e: signature) Pokémon with the highest level. In Green/Blue's case, in my opinion, that would be Pidgeot.

I see your point regarding Koga. I had forgotten that he didn't have a Weezing in GSC, but a Crobat instead. Personally, I happened to associate Weezing to him though.

shoz999

The rival's best Pokémon is the starter with type advantage opposite to the one chosen by the protagonist. Since it varies, I refer to the constant (i.e: signature) Pokémon with the highest level. In Green/Blue's case, in my opinion, that would be Pidgeot.

I see your point regarding Koga. I had forgotten that he didn't have a Weezing in GSC, but a Crobat instead. Personally, I happened to associate Weezing to him though.
Yeah but his Pidgeot isn't always consistent, it's mostly consistent. For example he has no Pidgeot in Pokemon Yellow, no Pidgeot in the BW2 games and no Pidgeot in your first battle against Green in SM (but he does later in the Battle Tree) and has no Pidgeot in the Let's Go games. In fact judging by this inconsistency, it seems like the guys behind Green had no real clue what Green's signature Pokemon was after Eevee was gone and that Red had all three starters at the time. I disagree with Pidgeot but I still admit it's an interesting choice to name Pidgeot as Green's signature Pokemon as you do have some good reasoning behind it.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
Well, Yellow was an anime tie-in based on RGB, Let's GO is its own thing based on the anime tie-in (Yellow) and Pokémon GO. I can't speak for the rest since I'm not that familiar. I suppose they dropped Pidgeot because it's not that powerful or they wanted more type coverage. But as far as the first two generations go, Pidgeot is what I would call his signature Pokémon. The one he first caught, the one that has always been with him, the one that doesn't change for some sort of game mechanics or gameplay purposes, and it's the highest level one aside from the regional starters or its equivalents.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’m glad @shoz999 can always make threads about the little aspects of Pokèmon games that I enjoy. Hope you’re doing these for the other gens

Honestly my favorites are the first 3 gyms. I don’t know why but I think it’s mainly because they have the most exposure and memorable moments for me.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Arcanine, it is easily my favourite Generation I Pokemon of all time. It is incredibly majestic and graceful with a good movepool, including Close Combat, Wild Charge and Dragon Pulse.
Starmie is second, as it is quick and versatile. Shame Misty used it so little in the show (I think she should have caught it as a Staryu and eventually got a Water Stone to make it evolve).

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Brock's Onix and Misty's Starmie mostly because the cartoon made me like them more. Out of all the Gym Leader's signature Pokemon I felt like Sabrina's Alakazam was the toughest one to beat.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness

Yeah but his Pidgeot isn't always consistent, it's mostly consistent. For example he has no Pidgeot in Pokemon Yellow, no Pidgeot in the BW2 games and no Pidgeot in your first battle against Green in SM (but he does later in the Battle Tree) and has no Pidgeot in the Let's Go games. In fact judging by this inconsistency, it seems like the guys behind Green had no real clue what Green's signature Pokemon was after Eevee was gone and that Red had all three starters at the time. I disagree with Pidgeot but I still admit it's an interesting choice to name Pidgeot as Green's signature Pokemon as you do have some good reasoning behind it.

Well, Yellow was an anime tie-in based on RGB, Let's GO is its own thing based on the anime tie-in (Yellow) and Pokémon GO. I can't speak for the rest since I'm not that familiar. I suppose they dropped Pidgeot because it's not that powerful or they wanted more type coverage. But as far as the first two generations go, Pidgeot is what I would call his signature Pokémon. The one he first caught, the one that has always been with him, the one that doesn't change for some sort of game mechanics or gameplay purposes, and it's the highest level one aside from the regional starters or its equivalents.

Ironically the Pokemon appearing most on Blue's team is no other than Exeggutor. He Has it in 2/3 of RB Team, all Yellow final Teams, 4/6 of his FRLG Teams, both GSC and HGSS Teams, his B2W2 Team, SM/USUM teams and during both battles in LGPE. So I think this is at least Champion Blue's siganature Pokemon:). I think Alakazam comes second but later it often switches with Machamp...

Also applying this logic do you consider Swellow as May/Brendan signature, Staraptor Barry's, Unfeazant Hue's, Liepard Cheren's and Stautlant Bianca's?

I can see (Mega) Pidgeot as Trace's Ace as it's his mega. On the other hand, does it make Absol Calem's/Serena's Ace?

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
Ironically the Pokemon appearing most on Blue's team is no other than Exeggutor. He Has it in 2/3 of RB Team, all Yellow final Teams, 4/6 of his FRLG Teams, both GSC and HGSS Teams, his B2W2 Team, SM/USUM teams and during both battles in LGPE. So I think this is at least Champion Blue's siganature Pokemon:). I think Alakazam comes second but later it often switches with Machamp...

That's ignoring the logic behind it all. Exeggutor is as much Blue's signature Pokémon as Gyarados and Arcanine. They are the replacements for the starters. This applies to RBG/GSC/FRLG/HGSS and probably beyond.

Yellow, like I said, is an anime tie-in. A lot in that version is changed and doesn't really reflect the main entries.

Also applying this logic do you consider Swellow as May/Brendan signature, Staraptor Barry's, Unfeazant Hue's, Liepard Cheren's and Stautlant Bianca's?

Probably, I don't know. I don't really keep up or care about anything past Kanto and Johto.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
That's ignoring the logic behind it all. Exeggutor is as much Blue's signature Pokémon as Gyarados and Arcanine. They are the replacements for the starters. This applies to RBG/GSC/FRLG/HGSS and probably beyond.

Yellow, like I said, is an anime tie-in. A lot in that version is changed and doesn't really reflect the main entries.

Probably, I don't know. I don't really keep up or care about anything past Kanto and Johto.

I think up till LGPE many considered Arcanine as his Ace due to the following 3 reasons:
1. It was his lead in PWT in B2W2 (as any other Trainer's Ace).
2. Gary had one
3. It's a strong and cool looking Pokemon.

Most of those people considered Blastoise as the "Canon Starter" for him (Also mostly due to the Anime and Pokemon Origins miniseries)

Still, it was missing the Yellow and LGPE games, something Exeggutor does not have against it.

We can always believe that Exeggutor is not as popular as the other few:)

shoz999

Pokemon Yellow counts since it does reflect the main series and it's changes are made to enhance the previous Gen 1 games, not to feel like a completely different game. To say Yellow doesn't reflect the main entries based on the grounds that it is an anime tie-in is to completely ignore it's most major and obvious contribution to the main series, Red's Pokemon team before LGPE. In other words, your logic for Pokemon Yellow doesn't add up.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
Pokemon Yellow counts since it does reflect the main series and it's changes are made to enhance the previous Gen 1 games, not to feel like a completely different game.

Pokémon Blue is the enhanced version of Red/Green, and used as a basis for the international release.

Yellow was an adaptation of Red/Blue to tie-in with the anime.

To say Yellow doesn't reflect the main entries based on the grounds that it is an anime tie-in is to completely ignore it's most major and obvious contribution to the main series, Red's Pokemon team before LGPE. In other words, your logic for Pokemon Yellow doesn't add up.

Nobody is ignoring the game's contributions to the series by acknowledging it for what it is and was meant to be. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Red's team is meant to reflect every player's adventure on Kanto. And that includes Yellow because that aspect of the game remained virtually unchanged (i.e: those who played Yellow can still follow the storyline of GSC).

shoz999

Pokémon Blue is the enhanced version of Red/Green, and used as a basis for the international release.

Yellow was an adaptation of Red/Blue to tie-in with the anime.

Nobody is ignoring the game's contributions to the series by acknowledging it for what it is and was meant to be. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Red's team is meant to reflect every player's adventure on Kanto. And that includes Yellow because that aspect of the game remained virtually unchanged (i.e: those who played Yellow can still follow the storyline of GSC).
True but you often bring up Yellow as an anime tie-in because if I recall, that you believe it shouldn't be taken into account that much because it's simply an anime tie-in. I'm sure your aware what I mean by Red's Pokemon in that every Pokemon he has is a Pokemon he can obtain in Yellow by receiving it from other trainers rather than catching them. Red does reflect every player's adventure on Kanto but only Red as the player, not the character. As the character, the NPC who awaits you in Mt. Silver, Pokemon Yellow is now taken into more consideration among the fanbase. Even if you disagree and remain vigilant that you think your correct, you have nothing to offer to show that this anime tie-in shouldn't be taken into account when talking about the larger main series continuity and instead have admitted it has consistency with previous main series games before and after, that it rarely interferes with the continuity. Based on these grounds, the changes it does offer, important or not, should definitely be considered as more of an enhanced version than an anime tie-in. In other words, my point still stands that your logic doesn't add up. I'm not saying your ignoring Pokemon Yellow's contributions but you are ignoring how important they could be based on the blind use of "this is an anime tie-in". It shouldn't be ignored that Pokemon Yellow is an anime tie-in but neither that it's an enhanced version of previous main series that ties into future games in some ways.