• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Signature Pokemon of the Sinnoh region

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
What are "Signature Pokemon"? They are the Ace Pokemon, the strongest of the strong, the most well-known team member, the representation of their trainers. Usually there's only one signature Pokemon but in rare cases like Volkner's team, there can be more than one. Anyways the list is the Favorite Signature Pokemon of the Sinnoh region. Also keep in mind, signature Pokemon are based on only the games. No Pokemon Adventures manga, no Pokemon anime, just the games.

The list below is my personal categorization of what I think are the signature Pokemon of each trainers. Feel free to disagree or point out anything you feel missing. The Sinnoh Frontier Brains were excluded due to lack anything that resembled a Signature Pokemon.

Known Characters of Sinnoh
  • Looker's Croagunk
  • Johanna's Kangaskhan
  • Roxy & Oli's Magnezone & Gardevoir
Stat Trainers
  • Cheryl's Chansey
  • Mira's Kadabra
  • Riley's Lucario
  • Marley's Arcanine
  • Buck's Claydol
Team Galactic
  • Cyrus's Crobat & Weavile
  • Mars's Purugly
  • Jupter's Skunktank
  • Saturn's Toxicroak
Sinnoh Gym Leaders
  • Roark's Rampardos
  • Gardenia's Roserade
  • Maylene's Lucario
  • Crasher Wake's Floatzel
  • Fantina's Mismagius
  • Byron's Bastiodon
  • Candice's Abomasnow
  • Volkner's Luxray & Electivire
Elite Four & Champion
  • Aaron's Vespiqueen & Drapion
  • Bertha's Hippowdon & Rhypherior
  • Flint's Infernape & Magmortar
  • Lucian's Bronzong & Gallade
  • Cynthia's Garchomp

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Roserade, it is very elegant yet hits hard and has a good movepool.
Weavile, since it is one of very few Ice-types that is a glass cannon. I love its design, too.
Floatzel, I like mustelid Pokemon in general, and it is very quick for a Water-type.
I also like Lucario, Mismaguis, Garchomp and Luxray. I decided to not include Arcanine, since its moveset when you team up with Marley is horrendous (she is in a cave environment, yet Arcanine has no attacks that hit Rock-types decently hard).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
This is going to be a hard one. Also I think Bertha’s ace was Rhyperior, Lucian’s was Gallade, & Flint’s Magmortar in Platnium.

This is tough. I like Saturn’s Toxicroak, basically all the Gym Leaders but Volkner’s my all time favorite with both of his aces, and Flint’s Magmortar. Cynthia’s Garchomp is a given lol

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
This is going to be a hard one. Also I think Bertha’s ace was Rhyperior, Lucian’s was Gallade, & Flint’s Magmortar in Platnium.

This is tough. I like Saturn’s Toxicroak, basically all the Gym Leaders but Volkner’s my all time favorite with both of his aces, and Flint’s Magmortar. Cynthia’s Garchomp is a given lol
Was kind of debating myself whether to include the Platinum changes because they already had aces previously. Weird seeing an Elite Four member have another Ace. Now I've decided, wynaut?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Gen's (Riley's) Lucario is my pick. I know that it didn't do much other than serve as Gen's ace, yet along with Gen himself, it was a nice callback to the 8th Pokemon movie.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Boss1991 said:
Garchomp.

I have a love-hate relationship with it since it was definitely one of Gen IV's more memorable signature Pokemon, yet for bad reasons. Even to this day whenever I restart the Shinou games and play all over again, I dread facing Shirona (Cynthia) since I always fear that my Pokemon won't be able to defeat her Gablias (Garchomp).

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I have a love-hate relationship with it since it was definitely one of Gen IV's more memorable signature Pokemon, yet for bad reasons. Even to this day whenever I restart the Shinou games and play all over again, I dread facing Shirona (Cynthia) since I always fear that my Pokemon won't be able to defeat her Gablias (Garchomp).

Whenever I read these kind of posts, I always think: but Ice Beam exists?!? Even Ice Fang on Floatzel does a lot of damage to it.

Unless you're doing a challenge-run, there's literally nothing witholding you from getting a Water-type and giving it Ice Beam.

Currently I'm doing a Fighting-type run. Normally this wouldn't be too bad. But considering that Infernape, Toxicroak and Lucario are all weak to Earthquake, I'm kinda left with Gallade to do most of the damage (and burning it) and finishing it off with Lucario's Dragon Pulse. But that still leaves so much of the rest of her team as a problem.. Between Spiritomb, Togekiss and Milotic, there's a lot to fear..

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I dunno why, but Volkner's Luxray sticks in my mind because of the anime mostly. I also wonder why he didn't have a Pachirisu in D/P when that would've fit his team more than Octillery or Ambipom.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Locormus said:
Whenever I read these kind of posts, I always think: but Ice Beam exists?!? Even Ice Fang on Floatzel does a lot of damage to it.

When I first played Diamond and Pearl I missed the location of the Ice Beam TM, so it wasn't an option when I battled Shirona (Cynthia). I suppose that Ice Fang could've worked as an alternative back then, but I've always disliked using moves that don't have 100% accuracy, so none of my Pokemon knew that attack. As for my most recent playthroughs, I hardly use Pokemon that can learn Ice-type attacks, so I don't usually have an easy time against Gablias (Garchomp).