• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Unova gym leader

Favorite gym leader from Unova?

• Cilan/Chili/Cress

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Lenora/Cheren

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Burgh

• Elesa

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Clay

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Skyla

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Brycen

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Iris/Drayden

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Roxie

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Marlon

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Looking at the poll made me realize I like all of them really.

But if I did have to pick one though, it would have to be Lenora. I'll admit, it's partially because it's nice to see a Gym Leader and a Pokémon character in general that's married, but she also freakin' owns a museum. Which basically means she's pretty much interested in archaeology, anthropology, paleontology and mythology, all of which I'm interested in so that's pretty much why I like her. And well, as much as I like Dragon-types, I think Normal-types are underappreciated so it's nice to see one. Also, she doesn't mess around in battle. Sure, she's just the second Gym Leader, but don't take her seriously and she will take you down.

The others that stand out to me are for similar reasons. Iris and Drayden for being Dragon-type Gym Leaders, with the former for becoming Champion and the latter for usually being depicted as being able to stand toe-to-toe with Pokémon. Same with Brycen since he's an Ice-type martial artist, with the added caveat of the amusing fact that he's also an action movie star. Clay's also cool for me since, well, he's a business man and he's Gym Leader. Authority Equals Ass Kicking in my opinion. That and he looks like a cowboy.

I like Cheren in that we actually got to see a good bit of his journey to become a Gym Leader because he was our rival in BW. Admittedly, I only really like Cilan because, well, of the anime. Always did like his personality, personally. That and I like Simisage the most of the three monkeys. And lastly, Roxie. I like rock music, I like Poison-types and I love the fact that she's a rock star who uses Poison-types that's a girl. Too bad she's in Gen V otherwise I could've easily imagined Toxicitry would've been her "main".

The rest I like, but not quite as much as the ones mentioned.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I like Kamitsure (Elesa) the most because of how she intervened when Bel's (Bianca's) father got pushy with her. My second favorite Gen V Gym Leader would have to be Iris because of her bubbly personality.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I liked Elesa, both as a Gym Leader and for her Gym. I loved the rollercoaster Gym in BW, and the catwalk in B2/W2, which fits her being a fashion model. I like how she loves cracking bad puns when she's with Skyla, like "Don't you *cough* agree, Gus?" in that one flashback. :D

Burgh is another one, since he's an artist, and often struggles with artist's block. I think that's a more realistic portrayal of an artist than Mina in Gen 7 was, since she's always sketching and painting without stopping, and Burgh occasionally hits a creative wall.

I think Unova had some of the best Gym Leaders, actually. Lenora, Roxie, Drayden, Iris, Skyla, Brycen and Marlon are also honourable mentions.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:
Burgh is another one, since he's an artist, and often struggles with artist's block. I think that's a more realistic portrayal of an artist than Mina in Gen 7 was, since she's always sketching and painting without stopping, and Burgh occasionally hits a creative wall.

I absolutely loved his Gym's design in B2/W2, although I don't like him much as a character. I thought that his interest in art was a nice quirk, but his outfit and messy hair always bugged me [pun intended].

TwilightBlade

Elesa easily, as I love her design, her remixed Gym theme in the sequels, her fondness of bad puns and her role in Bianca's character development.

Elesa's gym's theme song in the Unova sequels is so hot. I like how her gym got changed to a fashion show kind of layout with an audience and Elesa got the best sequel redesign. She just looks so much better in those games than in the original Black & White.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Elesa's gym's theme song in the Unova sequels is so hot. I like how her gym got changed to a fashion show kind of layout with an audience and Elesa got the best sequel redesign. She just looks so much better in those games than in the original Black & White.

I loved the “Are you ready?” vocals that play when the models come up to you. Then when Elesa herself makes her grand entrance, it goes “GIVE ME WHAT I NEEEEEEEEEEEED!” :D

I think her B2/W2 gym fits Elesa more than her BW gym did, because she’s, you know, a fashion model and all that. I did like the rollercoaster in her BW gym, though. :)

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:
I loved the “Are you ready?” vocals that play when the models come up to you. Then when Elesa herself makes her grand entrance, it goes “GIVE ME WHAT I NEEEEEEEEEEEED!” :D

I think her B2/W2 gym fits Elesa more than her BW gym did, because she’s, you know, a fashion model and all that. I did like the rollercoaster in her BW gym, though. :)

I agree about her B2/W2 Gym being more fitting to her character since she was always meant to be a model. I don't understand what Game Freak was thinking when they designed Kamitsure's (Elesa's) B/W Gym to look like an indoor amusement park.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I agree about her B2/W2 Gym being more fitting to her character since she was always meant to be a model. I don't understand what Game Freak was thinking when they designed Kamitsure's (Elesa's) B/W Gym to look like an indoor amusement park.

Maybe because Nimbasa City is an amusement park kind of place and they wanted to incorporate that into her gym?

Monozu

この日、森の中・・・
... I like all of them, really. How am I meant to choose?

I would say Burgh, but in the end we don't see enough of him in the story for his personality to really be interesting. I agree that he's a nice take on the "artist" character, because he seems pretty intelligent and organised, unlike the usual airheads we see (nothing wrong with being an airhead, but you know). Also, his gym in BW was really fun.

(BW in general had some really fun gyms - remember Skyla's cannons? I loved that.)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Elesa and Burgh are my favorites. Elesa because her fashion catwalk gym is awesome and has good music, and Burgh because he had a wild look about him that I liked.

I always remember Elesa's catwalk music. "Are you ready?" :D

catzeye

Writer's Block
This was a hard choice honestly because the Gen 5 gym leaders are my favorite group of leaders (tied with the Gen 8). But honestly I have to go with Lenora and Cheren.

Lenora was such a welcome surprise for me on so many levels. She's smart, a gym as a museum is a cool concept, her team is tough for a second gym, she's happily married and she's a black woman on top of all that. It made me smile so much as a teenager to see her as positive representation for girls who look like me.

And Cheren, I loved Cheren and Bianca so much in the original BW games. Seeing their progressions in their respective professions was a nice touch. It felt like battling an old friend when I got to battle Cheren in BW2.

Honorable mentions go to Elesa, Skyla, and BW2 Drayden for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.