• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite version of the Team Rocket trio

Favorite version of the Team Rocket trio

• Total voters

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Kanto Team Rocket followed by Sun and Moon Team Rocket. I loved when Jessie and James would crossdress so that's why I'm a fan of how they acted in Kanto. :D

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
OS no question, they were fresh new (well everything was new) and they had great sense of humour the only thing missing was meowth's boss fantasies which were brought in late OS.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
OS easily, the humor of their antics and banter they would give the twerps always made me laugh (GOD I missed the days everyone (especially Ash) were just almost always savage to eachother can we please bring that back???) and I loved their frequent appearance there compared to XY and such. Unlike XY they never got stale for me there with their constant popping up. I don't exactly mind them being goofballs after the SS. Anna arc because I feel like they shine better as comic relief than not.
Such is why BW Trio really lost their charm in my eyes until later when they were much less serious again. I mean sure I would've loved to have seen the end of that arc in early BW with the Team Plasma thing but that was probably all they had going for them there. I know lots loved their more serious evil on their job side but I prefer them more morally grey ambiguous like they should be and silly and just... you know, fun. They lost their true personality and were just generic insensitive villains, the opposite of what they are. They can be serious sure, I love me some complexity, but keep what makes them charming to begin with. *Ducks under table*

Second VERY close one is SM TRio, something about them there was very charming and made me fall in love with them much more, and I feel like it handled them well. It was nice seeing their comedic chaotic selves really fit in a more light and gag-filled series like SM and I love how they got even a whole episode to themselves in their Z-Ring episode, which I don't think has happened before? Idk, as far as I know anyways, usually you have the twerps be a Side A or B part of the plot. The Z-Ring episode only had Ash for a second. I'd like more episodes like that, it was so satisfying to see them really WIN something all together, and with a fricking honest battle at that instead of the usual "Let's Steal it!" gig. Although I LOVED the Dark Z-Crystal epi with Team Skull too. Also they were practically more of a family in this series than all the rest I think, what with their relationship with Bewear a.k.a JoJo bear mama. Literal overbearing mother and they love her and also mesh well with Stufful too. And the same goes with the relationship with their Pokemon here, which really shine and I think I've gotten rather attached to them like I have Weezing and Arbok, the dynamics between them are solid, and the casual disobedience with Mareanie and Mimikyu is actually rather funny to me unlike Charizard.
I think the only problem with SM TRio is they're very much a "third wheel" there with their frequency dialed down, and as someone who really likes them I feel I have to scrounge epis with them involved, even more in PJ I think. Not to the frequency of XY, not unless they can make them like Kanto and properly involve them every episode, but I'm starved for them GDI. Which is why they aren't my first despite my stronger opinion on 'em.
(Yeah I'm aware another epi focused on them is planned for PJ but then the Pandemic attacked)

Last edited:

jaden767

Amphetamine
I liked how Team Rocket acted in Johto like when they had conflicts with Butch & Cassidy.

I liked that one episode where Jessie had a feud with one of Giovanni's secretaries and I wish she had been a permanent character instead of her being replaced by that Matori gal later.

DatsRight

I liked that one episode where Jessie had a feud with one of Giovanni's secretaries and I wish she had been a permanent character instead of her being replaced by that Matori gal later.

OS vs SM is a weird case in that area, since while OS was generally much better for rivalries and depiction of the organisation outside the TRio, I think the SM dynamic is more fleshed out and amusing in laying it out.

In OS the TRio are flunkies, Giovanni treats them like crap and the other members like Butch and Cassidy are essentially just one note bullies in this dynamic rubbing their success in their faces. Seeing them go at it (and TRio for once usually coming out on top) is fun but it's more predictable.

In SM Giovanni is now fully convinced that the TRio are competent and they are left desperately trying to keep it that way. Matori works well enough as the sane one among this, a suspicious straight man who keeps pressure on them, but she's not really provocative enough to be a rival outright. She just wants goals met.

I feel like a lot of the OS rivals would work perfectly in the newer dynamic since they have a solid reason to resent the TRio, they are still flunks, but their boss regards them highly and while they work hard, the TRio more or less lie their way into his good books. You could see Domino or especially Biff loathing them for getting more respect through dupes and dumb luck than they do through better contributions to the organisation and desperately trying to expose them for the fraudulent imbeciles they are. A real Frank Grimes type dynamic.

DatsRight

BW is creditable for setting up a key status quo change for TR, in that they've actually climbed up in their workforce and are on good terms with their boss. Before SM changed things up for Ash, this was one of the first changes up in the main cast dynamic that has stuck, if a minor one.

Granted compared to their behaviour in BW, the way it originated and how they're trying to maintain it remains characteristically hapless of the TRio however. I think that was something that was kinda needed in that series. Sure let them pull stuff off for once, but make that work heavily against their usual personalities and buffoonery. That's why say, the contests or showcases they won tended to be entertaining, since they still had to cover up their usual clowning and oversights to avoid it going wrong (or in some cases turn it around into a strength).

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Definitely OS-AG. That was their prime, they were lowest of the low and constantly getting fired or having conflict with Butch/Cassidy and Delibird(Stupid Pelipper stole his job...). Money was also an issue which is why they took jobs but now they just pull mechas out their ass without the problem getting brought up!

SM TRio was nice too, they finally got back their personalities and character. The only drawback was they still got very few episodes or character moments, heck the entire middle of the saga was basically non-existent of it!

BW was cool but it came at the sacrifice of their personality which winded up sticking until SM brought it back. XY TRio is dirt bottom, they were little more than plot devices and had barely any character moments at all! Outside of their select few episodes in XY they were walking plot devices! I watch the show for Team Rocket primarily so I often binged through episodes rather than keeping up thanks to the **** performance, that whole saga was just an overrated mess! At least the BW TRio did stuff...

2019 Rocket is okay atm. I still hate the gacha machine but I love their performance as characters so far, all it really needs is for James to get a personal Pokemon(Cramorant pls) and for there to be some interaction with the organization seeing as majority of the episodes are on Rocket turf, there's really no excuse for them not meeting other Rocket members for an extended amount of time, I hope the upcoming Rocket episode will fix some of the issues with James getting something and Team Rocket organization becoming more recurring antagonists afterwards. Also why the **** did it take them nearly 20 episodes to establish their (awesome) homebase?! -_-

DatsRight

Money was also an issue which is why they took jobs but now they just pull mechas out their ass without the problem getting brought up!

Money was brought up again in SM in fact. Their side jobs were brought back, and they tended to make note of their needed work load to pay for their gadgetry (I'm pretty sure they mention their profits from the food stand during the league being put into their mecha they use in the Guzzlord face-off). It's just that in that series they weren't in poverty outright, likely because Bewear was providing them food and shelter to manage.

XY TRio really werre overdone as a plot device (and unlike the classic era series there was no excuse since they were no longer mandated to appear every episode), though I admit to kinda liking their Pokemon in that series, especially early on when they could be halfway menacing and even Wobbuffet was more active. It took a bit too long to get into actual bonding moments with them and Jessie and James, but at least we did get them, compared to BW. Again, TR's characters were still undergoing recovery at the time, and didn't really fully regain them until SM.

Last edited:

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
The only part of OS in which TR was awesome is in the Indigo League season. OS Johto TR was quite dull tbh.

raichu27

I would say the OS. I miss their Arbok and Weezing. It would've been cool to see them have another opportunity to visit Hoenn to be able to get them back.