• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favorite Video Game Mysteries. Solved or Unsolved.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
As the title says. What was your favorite video game mystery? And of course. Since these are mysteries... SPOILERS EVERYWHERE.

A Murder Mystery in a Nintendo game!
I'll choose a recent one I've been playing, a murder mystery in a Nintendo game lol. Yes, an actual murder mystery and it's none other than Metroid Other M. I was a little surprised that a Nintendo game, no matter how mature the Metroid series is, had a murder mystery. Metroid Other M is a game that's not looked too favorably by the Metroid fans but you have to admit the story about trying to find out who is the killer among Platoon 7, the man working for a secret group within the Galactic Federation attempting to get rid of the evidence including killing his own team members was one of the more interesting parts of Metroid Other M. And guess what? The game never actually confirms who is the killer, only leaves behind hints on who it is and a lot of the hints points to James Pierce, the most obvious one being that the assassin confronts MB, attempting to kill her only it's hinted later that the assassin was the one who gets killed through the fact that you find James Pierce's corpse where MB was last seen. Now interestingly the game never confirms this but apparently it's officially confirmed that James Pierce is the killer according to a Japanese strategy guide.

*Professor Layton spoilers follow I guess*

Well these are all solved mysteries, but for the most part I enjoy the mystery solving in the Layton series (Mystery Room included). Lost Future and Spectre’s Call took it a bit too far and Azran Legacy didn’t really flesh out its mysteries that much (it wasn’t the point of the game though so I’ll let it slide), but the rest of the games did them brilliantly. Pandora’s Box revealed its mysteries in such a way that not only worked in the story, but leaves a little bit of “could it really be magic” in there that adds to the enchanting atmosphere of the game. Curious Village was a little crazy but it worked as a wham plot twist for the first game in the series. Miracle Mask, minus a small bit at the end, was actually entirely sensible and the mystery was also told in a great way using both flashbacks and present day. I could go into all the great mysteries in Mystery Room but there are so many. And even then, we still have unanswered questions that I can’t wait to get answers for! What did Descole do after Azran Legacy? If Layton is missing in the new series, how can Barton (during Mystery Room) contact him? Will Level 5 ever acknowledge Alfendi ever again? (That last one is a joke but still applies)

For as much as the Professor Layton series has one or two problems, they always know how to keep you enticed, through characters, setting or just pure good storytelling.