1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Video Game Villains?

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by shoz999, Jan 31, 2020.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Discuss your favorite video game villains!

[​IMG]
    Kirby Villains

I'll kick things off. So if you had to ask me which Nintendo series perhaps has the most compelling lore and the creepiest villains, the Kirby series would be it. That's actually a consistent theme with Kirby's villains. The good guys are these cute adorable colorful happy go-lucky adventurers and the bad guys are these creepy Eldritch horrors, an interesting contrast don't you think? Kind of like Undertale actually. For most Kirby fans, the main antagonist of the Kirby series is none other than Dark Matter which is actually more of a collective term that refers to a species consisting of one eye and are the embodiment of darkness. They are possibly my favorite villain of the Kirby series, serving as the major antagonists of the Dark Matter Trilogy.

[​IMG]

You have the dark swordsman simply named Dark Matter in Kirby's Dreamland 2 who possessed King Dedede and later made a cameo in Kirby Planet Robobot which is even more interesting. A god-like machine that digitally cloned Dark Matter stated this was the most difficult enemy of Kirby to clone, stating that this was the only version it could analyze and even then, this being pushed the god-like machine to its very limits that the clone is imperfect. Yes, Dark Matter is so bizarre that even a god-like machine can't comprehend it.

[​IMG]

You have Zero from Kirby's Dreamland 3, a huge white ball with a bloody eye who can shoot blood at Kirby. He is believed to be the leader of Dark Matter and he is also infamously known for giving one last ditch suicide effort to defeat Kirby, breaking his bloody eyeball from his body.

[​IMG]

Then you have the much more creepier counterpart, Zero2 from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. If you thought the bloody eye was creepy enough, Zero2 starts out as six-winged angel with a big friendly face. Then it turns around and reveals it's true nature. A bloody eye that is leaking blood, making him appear more like a fallen angel.

And with that. Kirby 64 is the end of the Dark Matter Trilogy. Kirby has saved Dreamland from its most vile foe and thus, that was the last fans would ever see of Dark Matter...

FOR YOU SEE! In the Nintendo Switch title, Kirby Star Allies, we see the cult leader Hyness kill himself and his loyal subjects in order to revive the dark demonic being known as Void Termina! Void Termina you ask!? A dark god that threatens the entire universe, whose Japanese name can be interpreted as "Final Zero"! Kirby now has to not only save Dream Land but the entire universe from this dastardly evil, dodging his array of attacks from utilizing the Master Crown to throwing energy beams to rains of blood. Then it is secretly revealed that Void Termina's Soul true form is that of a being that looks suspiciously similar to Kirby only to be revealed in a SHOCKING TWIST that his true form also takes on the shape of Dark Matter! All of it suggesting that there may be a close connection between the Kirby and Dark Matter species then previously thought! And after 17 years of no legit Dark Matter, THAT is the last time that shocked fans of the Dark matter Trilogy would see Dark Matter...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    NeedsAName likes this.
  2. Auraninja

Auraninja Gre-nin-ja!

Hades (Kid Icarus Uprising) had funny dialogue and was such a tease.
    Deathborn (F-Zero GX) had cheesy dialogue, but I like his threatening aura and his awesome theme music.
    Petey Piranha (Super Mario) is a hilarious villain.
    -You could say the same thing about King Boo, Fawful, etc.
    Ridley (Metroid) because there is some intelligence behind a menacing exterior.
    King Dedede (Kirby) is more of an antagonist, but I just love him.
    Ed the Thinker (Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs) was probably my favorite Pokemon villain.
    -I also like Ein from Pokemon Colosseum, and I guess Lysandre is my favorite main series villain.
    -Zinnia was the secret main human antagonist in ORAS, but she isn't a villain.
    Psycho Mantis (Metal Gear Solid) was a threatening and messed up villain.
    -The Boss and The Pain were more situational antagonists.
    Dr. Eggman (Sonic) is smart and hilarious.
    Most Mega Man Robot Masters are situational antagonists, but
    Regal (Mega Man Battle Network 4/5) was pretty rad, he was so evil that even the Dr. Wily of that world condemned his actions.
    There was one guy from Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, who was more of a situational antagonist. He worked for the main villain.
    Metal Face (Xenoblade Chronicles) but only because I like his voice and I can mimic it. "Fancy meeting you here. Monado Boy."

And last but not least.

Barlowe, because he's so demented, yet hides it well for an awesome reveal. Plus, the music that plays is so great.

shoz999 likes this.
  3. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Vaas and Pagan from Far Cry. Vaas is insane and kinda wins as Jason turns into another version of him, and Pagan.... if Ajay listened and stayed put, Pagan would have given him what he wanted and that would be that. He was a man of his word
    Dmitri from GTA IV. Betrays you and actually makes you hate him from the acts he commits, he was brilliantly handled.
    Dutch and Edgar Ross from Red Dead.
    Eggman
    Ghetsis
    Fawful
    Dimentio
    Julius, Zinyak and Dane Vogel from Saints Row

shoz999 likes this.
  4. TheCharredDragon

TheCharredDragon I mean it when I say I'm an RPG nut

-sees thread, then looks at avatar-

Villains... Ah ha... Well, at this time, my favorite villain of all time also just happens to be one of the most base-breaking characters in Persona 5 with so many people either hating him, fine with him as a villain but don't necessarily like him, or loving him, partially from shipping him with Joker.

And that character is Goro Akechi.

So, just in case someone here is an Akechi hater...and me going to mention P5/P5R spoilers...I'm just gonna put my opinion in spoilers. Warning: it's about six paragraphs long.

He is, by far, one of my favorite characters from Persona 5, equal to Joker and Morgana (yes Morgana, but that's another opinion for a different kind of topic). I will readily admit though that my opinion is partially affected by a fic that I love to bits, but really I would've still liked him anyway.

I will start off that I love him as a villain, particularly when he absolutely cracks. His voice acting, particularly his English one, is just amazing and I just love how insane he sounds. I love his Black Mask design just as much, if not more, than his Phantom Thief outfit. Then there's the implication that he's powerful enough that the entire team was needed to finish him off...twice. I just have a thing for insane characters. Which was why I was so happy to know he was playable for P5R after November/December. Though I'm partially upset that my suspicions on Akechi appearing in the third semester in the first place were right...

But what I really love about him is well...I know this is about villains so this is ironic but...his character and his potential of being good. That the biggest reason he became a villain was because he thought it was the only way. That nothing else mattered.

Now I'm not saying I condone or brush off his actions entirely... He still killed people, maybe even hundreds considering the train accident in the beginning of the game, but I've always been a sucker for redemption and happy endings. And with his backstory, I could never hate him, because I feel like I wouldn't have been much better off if I was in his place. And besides, there have been others who've done worse and yet have been redeemed later and/or are like a lot (Kratos comes to mind and yes, you could argue he's a "hero" but that's my point. The line between what can be forgiven and why as opposed to what can't can be blurred).

And that's the thing I like about him so much. Sure, he went about it wrong, but I empathize with Goro Akechi. I empathize with the odd kid who's really smart and acts as polite as can be to try to have someone like them, when they're nothing like that and they're hiding what they really feel. I can empathize with the feeling of feeling like absolutely nothing despite how everything around me seems good because when you get yourself in a pit, it's hard to see out of it, which makes all your problems seem greater than everyone else's.

So, in short, I empathize with him and as much as I think he's awesome as a villain, I wished he could've had a chance to be redeemed though I had expected what happened in P5R in regards to him to happen.

As for other villains... Well, I love making fun of King Garon from Fates. He's just so terribly written and hammy that I can't bring myself to properly hate him. Speaking of villains, Arvis and Edelgard are interesting too for, well...spoilers but let's just say most FE fans know before they even touch their respective games. Well, more in Arvis's case but still.

In terms of villains I "like" as in they're good villains because I can properly hate them, it would be Ghetsis.

There's probaby others but those are the ones I can think of right now.

Dragalge and shoz999 like this.
  5. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

I like the ones that you really didn't see it coming and that make you either hate them a lot or feel sorry for them.

Like Airy from Bravely Default (that f***king piece of sh**t).

Clive Dovan from Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (i feel bad for him...).

And Nuzleaf from Super Mystery Dungeon (although he was technically being controlled, he still was a great villain for the time being, since he was your caretaker throughout the gamer, so for him to be plotting against you was really disburting, like your father or mother trying to kill you).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Ignition and shoz999 like this.
  6. AgentKallus

AgentKallus Whovian

GLaDOS (Portal Series) has got to be my favourite video game villain. She really is the heart and soul of the portal games.

TheCharredDragon and shoz999 like this.
  7. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

Susie from Kirby:planet Robobot
    Talon from Overwatch
    Wolf O'Donnell from Star Fox
    GLaDOS from Portal
    Final Fantasy Villains(EXCEPT XANDE)
    King K. Rool
    Dr. Coyle from ARMS
    Queen of Blades from Starcraft
    Miror B.
    Goldman from House of the Dead
    Bowser
    Fawful
    M. Bison and Juri Han from Street Fighter
    D'Vorrah, Shao Kahn, Kira, Chameleon, Tanya, Noob Saibot, Rain and Kano from Mortal Kombat
    Wesker from Resident Evil
    Carmen Sandiego

I could go on...

shoz999 likes this.
  8. Shinehollow

Shinehollow Turning that frown all the way down

Dagoth Ur from Morrowind's my top, but The Master from Fallout 1, GLaDOS from Portal (specifically Portal 2 but she's not really the villain), and Bowser are all up there.

shoz999 likes this.
  9. Aduro

Aduro Mt.BtlMaster

Pagan Min from Far Cry 4. If a Bond movie had made a villain half as interesting as him, they would have fired someone important for threatening to make Bond movie that was actually interesting and good.

Dr. Bumby from Alice: Madness Returns. That presentation game was so great in general. Bumby was a perfect stand-in for the kind of abuse women went through in Victorian asylums. Never been more satisfied to see a villain get his comeuppance.

shoz999 likes this.