• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favourite Dark-type Pokémon?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
There are loads of threads for "Favourite Pokémon of a certain type", though I wasn't sure if there was one for Dark-type Pokémon, unless it's buried in one of the pages far back, so I decided to create one.

The title pretty much explains everything - what are your favourite Dark-type Pokémon? I'm going with the top 10 format for my favourites:

1. Umbreon
  2. Absol
  3. Houndoom
  4. Incineroar
  5. Sneasel
  6. Sableye
  7. Crawdaunt
  8. Hydreigon
  9. Greninja
  10. Pangoro
Honorable mentions:

• Mega Gyarados
  • Mightyena
  • Morpeko
  • Obstagoon
  • Grimmsnarl
  • Yveltal
  • Zoroark
  • Krookodile
  • Darkrai
  • Spiritomb
  • Sharpedo
  • Shiftry
  • Tyranitar
(A little bit of trivia - Gen 5 introduced the most new Dark type Pokémon (16), while Gen 7 only introduced two.)

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Despite not having it as one of my favorite Types, so many of my favorites are Dark Types. In fact, both my current and former favorite Pokémon are Dark Types.

Honorable mentions: Urshifu Single Strike, Spiritomb, Hoopa Unbound, Drapion
10) Cacturne: I love the scarecrow and cactus motifs. The yellow eyes fit the idea of it stalking you late at night in the desert. Wish it was better (give it Sand Rush!)
9) Greninja: I know people hate this thing for how much focus its gotten since its inception but I still like it. The tongue being the bridge to connect the frog and ninja parts of its design is pretty creative. I like how it was showcased in both the anime and Smash. Plus it’s a competitive menace. Also I think Ash Greninja is a cool concept.
8) Pangoro: I love pandas and the Japanese delinquent inspirations is a cool touch. The idea of a mischievous yet innocent Pancham being influenced by its Dark environment as it evolves is interesting. Even though it looks malicious, it still stands up to bullies which is always a cool thing.
7) Yveltal: It’s simple yet so interesting. It being based on several bird of prey due to its connotation with death and destruction is cool. The name is also really cool and gives a sense of an ominous godly figure. I like how most media makes sure to acknowledge that it’s only destructive out of habit and not for any malicious intent.
6) Obstagoon: I never really cared for the Hoennian/“original” Zigzagoon line but I liked the modern take on them being based on punks albeit it’s a bit disappointing we got another Dark type regional rodent. But Obstagoon was worth the repetition. Having it based on obstruction from its stance to its signature move was a nice twist to its pre egos being about rushing towards their opponents. I also love how menacing it looks even if the tongue can be a little goofy. It was definitely the best regional evolution and one of my favorites from SwSh. Guts is so fun to run through teams with.
5) Malamar: This is arguably the best case of a Pokémon showing off its gimmick well. Everything about Inkay flips when it evolves: the game, its personality, its body. It having hypnotic powers fits its inspiration to a T. Contrary Superpower is fun.
4) Alolan Muk: When Alola forms were first revealed, I wasn’t feeling them. Alola Raichu was cool but I had already settled on Vikavolt for my team. Same with Marowak and Litten. A. Muk changed that though. Oil spills being the basis for its design is a neat concept. I also like the subtle differences between it and Kantoian Muk. Unfortunately, a certain cat evolved into a Dark type but I ended up using it in my US run.
3) Grimmsnarl: I always had my eyes on Impidimp ever since it’s unofficial reveal at E3. A lot of people criticized its bobble head or how uneven its proportions in general were but I knew it’d have potential. Grimmsnarl was definitely worth the wait. I love witches and their connection to their hair. It having the strength to KO Machamp with ease is impressive. Prankster is a fun ability. It got two signature moves, a sick GMax form, the title of ace for Marnie, and a equally as cool counterpart in Hatterene. Also really dig the shiny. Easily my favorite Gen 8 Pokémon.
2) Krookodile: Already detailed this in the Ground thread but I’ll give a brief summary of it. It used to be my favorite Pokémon because of the color scheme, its role in the anime, how strong it is with Moxie, and it being my first Shiny.
1) Incineroar: To the surprise of literally no one, my favorite Dark Type is my favorite overall. I like how much it fits the heel wrestler personality in all of its appearances from the anime to the games to Smash to even irl with leaks.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
6) Obstagoon: I never really cared for the Hoennian/“original” Zigzagoon line but I liked the modern take on them being based on punks albeit it’s a bit disappointing we got another Dark type regional rodent. But Obstagoon was worth the repetition. Having it based on obstruction from its stance to its signature move was a nice twist to its pre egos being about rushing towards their opponents. I also love how menacing it looks even if the tongue can be a little goofy. It was definitely the best regional evolution and one of my favorites from SwSh. Guts is so fun to run through teams with.

Some people also noticed that G-Zigzagoon and its evolutions look like members of Kiss, or maybe the Rolling Stones with their stuck-out tongues. :p

5) Malamar: This is arguably the best case of a Pokémon showing off its gimmick well. Everything about Inkay flips when it evolves: the game, its personality, its body. It having hypnotic powers fits its inspiration to a T. Contrary Superpower is fun.

Malamar in the anime is probably one of the few Pokémon that is outright evil, being used by Team Flare to attempt to destroy Ash and his friends. (In Japanese, the Dark type is called the "Evil" type.)

Scrafty for some reason. It's ugly, but also cute. It's ugly cute.

Scraggy is also pretty cute, in a derpish way. I loved Ash's Scraggy in the anime and how it headbutted everyone as a greeting. :D

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
430.png
Honchkrow - I used this badass birb in HeartGold and it pulled miracles on that team, and it's a mob boss themed crow! Have you seen its defeated animation in Battle Revolution? It's so cool. It hits hard, looks the best out of any of the Dark/Flying types and I love it so very much.

197.png
Umbreon - My favourite Eeveelution! I also used it in HeartGold on a team that is near and dear to my heart (RIP the save file) but it's tanky and has a superb design, I like using it a lot even if it doesn't hit too hard. No other Eeveelution has come close to my love for Umbreon, and I'm even planning to get a tattoo of one once this virus eases up a bit.

635.png
Hydreigon - I got wrecked by Ghetsis in White thanks to this dragon, and even though it knew no Dark type moves it was still a pain in the rear to deal with. I like the hydra theme, they're a great beast to design a Pokemon on and it is up there as one of my favourite pseudo legendaries, so... yeah.

675.png
Pangoro - I dig pandas, and Pangoro has a cool design with the cape and the leaf. It feels powerful as a Fighting type should be, with a bit of menace befitting a Dark type too. As someone said above the delinquent theme is a pretty good concept as well, so this is a very solid Pokemon.

861.png
Grimmsnarl - I adore Impidimp with it's mischievous personality and being based on an imp, and whilst Morgrem wasn't my cup of tea Grimmsnarl definitely was. It's tough, it's wicked and it honestly seems like it would fit in with the barbaroi from Vampire Hunter D (and folklore in general). Dark/Fairy is such a cool typing and it got a wide array of cool moves, I like it.

Red and Blue

Gen 2:Tyranitar
Gen 3: Absol
Gen 4: Darkrai
Gen 5: Zoroark, Zorua, Bisharp.
Gen 6: Pangoro, Greninja
Gen 7: Incineroar.
Gen 8: Galarian Zigzagoon line, Grimmsnarl, Nickit, Thievul

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
197.png
Umbreon - My favourite Eeveelution! I also used it in HeartGold on a team that is near and dear to my heart (RIP the save file) but it's tanky and has a superb design, I like using it a lot even if it doesn't hit too hard. No other Eeveelution has come close to my love for Umbreon, and I'm even planning to get a tattoo of one once this virus eases up a bit.

I also have an Umbreon, but on SoulSilver. It really saved me in my Gym battle against Clair, since her Kingdra kept spamming Smokescreen, but luckily Feint (Faint) Attack always hits no matter what. :D

635.png
Hydreigon - I got wrecked by Ghetsis in White thanks to this dragon, and even though it knew no Dark type moves it was still a pain in the rear to deal with. I like the hydra theme, they're a great beast to design a Pokemon on and it is up there as one of my favourite pseudo legendaries, so... yeah.

Hydreigon being Ghetsis's toughest Pokémon possibly fits with the myth of the Hydra and Hercules's battle with it, where every time he chopped off one of its heads, another one would grow. Battling Ghetsis's Hydreigon kind of feels like that. :p

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Favorites per generation
  • Gen I: If we count regional variants, Alolan Muk definitely. A creative renewal of this classic Pokemon
  • Gen II: ...Tyranitar, of course. They did a good job at copying Godzilla
  • Gen III: Sableye. It always struck me due to how much personality it had, and there's the fact until Fairy types it had no weaknesses.
  • Gen IV: Darkrai, who is probably the mythical of that generation that's my favorite(Arceus being a close second)
  • Gen V: Difficult to pick from, but ultimately while it took a while to get Hydreigon was super-rewarding
  • Gen VI: Ultimately my favorite starter of Greninja
  • Gen VII: Incineroar is my favorite starter of this gen too, for the sheer personality it shows
  • Gen VIII: Another tough one. If we count cross-gen evolutions, Obstagoon for its rock star personality, making the Zigzagoon line interesting in general. If not, I'd go with Grimmsnarl

Monox D. I-Fly

For me it's the Carvanha line. I remember when my brother was surprised after me telling him that the shark Pokemon didn't evolve from the remora Pokemon but the piranha Pokemon instead. When he asked me if it made sense, I answer "Yeah, it makes sense. Piranhas are what most people think when we say about a predator freshwater fish while sharks do the same for seawater".

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Hydreigon and Umbreon are cool. Still shocks me that Umbreon was originally planned to be Poison typed rather than Dark typed.

Some of Umbreon's Dex entries mention that it exudes poisonous sweat when in danger, which could be a reference to this. I think they went with Dark rather than Poison at the end because it was a new type at the time and they wanted a Dark-type Eeveelution to counter Espeon's Psychic.

Gen VII: Incineroar is my favorite starter of this gen too, for the sheer personality it shows

Incineroar and Guzzlord were the only Dark types in Gen 7 (not counting Alolan forms), so it's a pretty easy choice. :D

For me it's the Carvanha line. I remember when my brother was surprised after me telling him that the shark Pokemon didn't evolve from the remora Pokemon but the piranha Pokemon instead. When he asked me if it made sense, I answer "Yeah, it makes sense. Piranhas are what most people think when we say about a predator freshwater fish while sharks do the same for seawater".

And the remora evolves into an octopus. o_O

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Absol - has a sad backstory, a cool design and a good movepool. I'v also grown to like its Mega.

Absol doesn't cause disasters, it just warns people of them. I think it's like the Cassandra myth made into a Pokémon.