• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favourite Episode Of Your Favourite Characters

DatsRight

Okay, you may have noticed I OBSESS over how character limelight is handled in the anime (and many many other shows for that matter) so let's delve into things, what episode is the highlight of a member of the Pokemon cast to you? Either because it defines their development and role, or maybe simply because it was an enjoyable moment from them.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I enjoyed Lillie's character development during the first year of SM and during the Aether arc and I enjoyed the episode where she battled her Butler and the Tyranitar.

DatsRight

I enjoyed Lillie's character development during the first year of SM and during the Aether arc and I enjoyed the episode where she battled her Butler and the Tyranitar.

To pinpoint one myself, I'd say the 'Effortful Lillie'/'Family Determination' episode is Lillie at her fullest. It's practically a character study for her, demonstrating nearly every key personality trait she has, which isn't a small package (probably why it feels a tad compressed).

* She's very neurotic, being meek and awkward (early on when Gladion ruins her poignant image change).
* She is not self confident, though tries to fake it with varying results.
* She is none the less assertive about getting her voice heard and sticking to a goal.
* She is empathetic towards others' flaws in spite of this, just let her get to understand them enough (when Ash puts his foot in his mouth on the ride home, Lillie quickly breaks from her mournful attitude to smile and assure him it's fine, she knows it's just Ash and he means well).
* In the Japanese version at least she is very formal and polite.
* She prefers a studious approach, but can make impulsive choices in a pressured situation.
* She is intellectual, but in a particular element. In other areas she is a niave buffoon (she has a moronically romanticised view of Poni ruins due to having 'read about these things in a book').
* She is sheltered, she isn't used to epic physical adventures, though will always try her best in spite of her nerves and clumsiness.
* She is not a strong trainer but she is a smart one.
* She is very affectionate. She loves her Pokemon in a gentle way, is loyal to her family in spite of arguments (beaming just from passive approval from her brother) and while trying to do things herself can be quickly convinced to accept her friends' help.

I love how the whole episode is a deconstruction of the 'determinator' trope as well. In most cases in the anime (and most other media for that matter) the "getting determined" moment is generally the key to winning, once the character has that epiphany they become unstoppable. Lillie...isn't quite as successful, there's clearly a lot more to it in her situation. She is the embodiment of a 'try hard'. I love how we see how so different yet so similar she is to Ash in this episode, being good in her area of expertise but screwing up and acting like a comical butt monkey out of it. It may not perfectly fit the serious stakes, but it sure gives Lillie tons of pathos, especially since the humiliation and feeling of being worthless makes her less capable of bouncing back like Ash.

There is a battle, and while it's not the most tense, it bothers to show Lillie's niche in the field a lot better than usual unofficial battles, which tend to just be quick by-the-numbers thrashings with little substance. Here however Lillie is in a vindication climax, stumbling for the first few moments but then using her strategic strengths to help Gladion when they lose the upper hand.

Despite his limited role I think this is a good moment for Ash as well. This is a very alien position for Ash at the start, he's within the tragic aftermath of a disaster happening, it being unknown if it can be solved and even being asked to not get involved and do his usual save the day routine. He is clearly not used at all to standing by and dealing with the heavier elements like these. He tries to put focus on caring for the Pokemon like he always does, but quickly realises this is completely inappropriate for the time (see above). However when he realises Lillie has gone into the thick of things alone, he gets back into his comfort zone instantly, leading the front. Even better since given SM's standstill premise, Ash has to actually form a route himself, making him feel more proactive, he seeks advise from Hala and makes a beeline to another island in the region. The fact he manages to so quickly catch up with the two in time to save them from debris falling is questionable, but it fits Ash's character here. Altruism is always his forte, and makes clear to Gladion he's helping whether he wants him to or not.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
Mallow's best ep just aired. Lana's best episode is all her episodes. Serena's best ep is the one she crossdressed as Ash. For Dawn I'd probably say the one she challenged Maylene. For May "The Bicker the Better." Misty probably the Princess festival ep in Kanto. Brock probably the Temacu ep in johto. Bonnie the finale of the Zygarde plot. I could go on but there's too much to list for all the other characters.

DatsRight

For Meowth the most likely choice is 'Go West Young Meowth'/'Nyasu's A-I-U-E-O' which has his backstory and charts nearly everything that turned Meowth into Meowth.

I'm tempted to also put in 'Jumping Rocket Ship'/'Chaotic Melee in Mio City!', yeah it's an over-the-top DP-era rehash of the 'Meowth pretends to turn good' formula, but it pretty much demonstrates Meowth's complexities, that he's a backstabbing self serving manipulative little wacko whose chronic lying can convince even his own ego, but in spite of this he has genuine talent that could make him fly big, but he throws that away for people he is loyal to. He can convince himself all he wants, but ultimately he cares about Team Rocket more than his own well being.

For Jessie, probably 'Ignorance Is Blissey'/'Happiness the Happy Nurse' is one of her most sympathetic, and humorous roles. She is at her nicest here, but it remains perfectly in character with her stroppy hammy self. I have a soft spot for some of her contest/showcase episodes though, despite her prima donna attitude, she did genuinely put her best efforts into most of them, it's easy to feel sorry for her losing so often and even root for her when she finally won some.

James has his own backstory episode 'Holy Matrimony' as a favourite, also 'The Fortune Hunters' for one of his most humorous. I also liked 'Facing the Grand Design'/'Calamanero vs Maaika' for showing the loyal bonds between him and his Pokemon at their finest however.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
All of Lana's episodes, of course. Baseball episode and Water Trial are of particular note.

Bonnie when she has Squishy, especially during the Flare climax (first companion to end someone themselves since DP was the Lake Trio's doing )

Any time Delia shows up.

The highlight of Brock is either the Mankey episode or Mewtwo Returns, you all know what for. I also enjoyed Zubat's evolution episode.

I know Brock coming back makes it lose its impact a bit, but the original farewell episode.

"Bye bye, Butterfree" for Ash & Butterfree.

James has "Holy Matrimony" as stated, and Jessie has "Ignorance is Blissey" and Meowth has "Go West, Young Meowth", but for the group as a whole, I'd go with the one where Arbok and Weezing are sent off.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Paul
-When Pokemon Worlds Collide
-Different Strokes for Different Blokes
-Shapes of Things to Come
-A Gruff Act to Follow
-Top-Down Training
-A Maze-ing Race
-Tag We're It
-Glory Blaze
-Smells Like Team Spirit
-Tears For Fears
-Riding the Winds of Change
-Chim Charred
-Aiding the Enemy
-Pursuing a Lofty Goal
-A Pyramiding Rage
-Pedal to the Mettle

-Evolving Strategies
-Fighting Ire with Fire
-Casting a Paul on Barry
-Familiarity Breeds Strategy
-A Real Rival Rouser

Utterly destroyed Ash in this one in their first full battle.Paul EV trained and planned ahead for his battle with Ash at Lake Acuity.#Competitive Play

Torterra

-Can change the direction of Stone Edge

Ursaring
-Bulk Up increases attack and defense power
-Guts increases attack power

Magmortar
-Uses Rock Tomb as a defensive wall
-Flame Body burns opponents on contact

Electabuzz
-Protect protects user from all attacks
-Light Screen reduces damage from special attacks and the move can carry over to the next pokemon sent out
-Static paralyzes opponents on contact

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ash: All of the episodes where he helps a Pokèmon train, the episode where he helped Chimchar get over its fear of Zangoose, the post Lake Acuity episode where he and his Pokèmon get their spirits back up, most important battles, him catching a Pokèmon (Pokèmon like Chimchar, Gligar, Krookodile, Goomy, & Torracat stick out the most), the episodes where he’d go back home and see his old Pokèmon
There’s a lot more but I’ll add on to it later

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Off the top of my head

- Siebold in the only episode he appears (ME 1)

- Ash in his gym battle vs Olympia

- Squirtle in the Island of the Giant Pokemon and the battle vs Rudy

DatsRight

The very first episode is likely considered the perennial Ash episode, though I love a lot of his SM limelight. "Lillie and Silvady"/"Mission: Total Recall" is probably one of my favourite moments from Ash (despite technically not even being his own episode) if largely because it is the key point he more or less becomes "Lillie's second big brother".

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Misty: The Misty Mermaid. Misty’s one of my favorites for sure but I prefer her small moments in each episode versus episodes focused soley on her. (Just lol’d rewatching the biker gang episode - Misty almost threw her bike at Psyduck to force a headache during battle.)

May: Who, What, Where, Wynaut. You would think I would have chose a more contest focused episode since I really enjoyed contests in the anime, but I adore this episode and it was one of my over all favorites in the AG saga. Plus I love the May/Drew dynamic.

Dawn: This one’s tricky because most Dawn focused episodes are good but I’ll go with following A Maiden’s Voyage. Dawn had one of the best first episodes right behind Ash. Don’t @ me. No, but seriously, I knew I would adore DP as soon as I watched this episode when it first aired.

Ash: Ash Catches a Pokemon! One of my all time favorite episodes and one of the best in the whole series. This episode really establishes who Ash is and really shows his true love for Pokemon. Also, Primeape Goes Bananas I guess because of his determination to catch it but mostly because this episode was hilarious.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Ash- First episode, his bonding episodes with his pokemon like charizard, infernape, greninja, sceptile, all his capture episodes, his gym battles in sinnoh and kalos, ash of BF season, his matches in kalos league and sinnoh league, greninja depression arc, his AG focus episodes were all good.

Dawn- Her debut episode, her depression episodes, her first contest and contest win, episode where she tamed her mamoswine, princess and dawn episode, wallace cup arc, grand festival

Serena- Her first 2 episodes where she was sassy towards her mother, the mirror episode, whole summer camp arc, pancham capture episode, skiddo race with her mother, showcase debut where she cut her hair, fennekin evolution episode, her first showcase win, eevee capture episode, the ash crossdressing episode, last episode

Lillie- The whole aether arc, alolan sandslash episode where she got a z crystal, snowy debut episode, episode where she dressed up as hero

May- Bulbasaur and squirtle capture, Episodes of her bonding with max, her contest debut with drew, may in BF was also great, kant grand festival, the least focus episode where she decide to go to johto

Brock- All his episodes in kanto where he was funny, brock vs kiawe in SM and brock vs olympia episode, special after DP series where his brother battled nurse joy and latias, DP episode doc brock.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Jessie: Ignorance is Blissey
James: Sweet Baby James
Meowth: Go West, Young Meowth
Team Rocket as a whole: Dues and Don'ts
Brock: The Heartbreak of Brock

Barry Hernandez

Dawn- The episode where she beat Ursula in the Sinnoh Grand Festival.

May- When she beat Drew in the Hoenn Grand Festival.

Brock- All the episodes in AG where he was quite funny.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
The Clair special if that counts as an episode was my favorite since Iris visited Johto and got Gible and even saw Rayquaza. Her losing against Clair didn't even feel bad since Iris still had a long way to go.

Kintaro

Banned
The best Bonnie ep is either the one with Tyrantrum or the one she sings to Squishy as Zygarde in the Flare arc. A lot of great Bonnie moments generally happen in Clemont eps though, or some funny scenes in random fillers.

Honestly the only Bonnie ep I remember disliking was the Lapras filler because it felt like a condensed version of the Orange Islands ep with Lapras into one episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Takeshi: the "Ghost of Maiden's Peak" episode, because it was one of the first memorable episodes that Takeshi got in early OS, and it had some pretty hilarious moments involving Takeshi's crush on the ghost.

Kasumi: the "Misty Mermaid" episode since there was just something amusing about seeing her play the part of a mermaid at the Hanada Gym. I also really liked her interactions with her sisters.

Hikari: the first DP episode since it made Hikari seem really naive, yet that was endearing. I still chuckle when I remember how she wanted to take all her clothes with her on her journey.

Dent: the episode where we were introduced to Cabernet, because Dent showed exactly why he deserved to be ranked higher than her as a Pokemon Sommelier. He was a class act.

Kintaro

Banned
While I'm not that big a fan of Mallow (I mostly just like her design, she's just an ok character otherwise), the episode where she lost her mother is probably one of the best episodes in the entire 22 year history of the anime. Even more ironic that such a "dark and serious episode" happened in the lighthearted and silly SM saga of all things. Someone losing their mother to cancer (or any disease in general), and not being able to apologize to them or see them one last time is heartbreaking and something people experience in real life.

I can't believe they pulled it off so well. If every SM episode was like that, this would have been the best saga of all time.

MockingJ

Banned
My favorite character is Meowth and he has a lot of really good episodes including the A Purrfect Hero one where Jessie and James tricked him into pretending he was a wild Meowth and then of course the Go West Young Meowth episode since we learned about his past in that episode.