• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favourite Game of 2013?

GOTY 2013?

• Pokemon X and Y

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • The Last of Us

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Super Mario 3D World

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • BioShock Infinite

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Tomb Raider

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gone Home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Assassin's Creed Black Flag

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 22 24.4%

• Total voters

Necro101

I chose, The Last of Us!
The Last of Us was such a great game. I did not play it until about August, because I was not sure if I would like it since I dislike Zombie games usually. I dislike them because of the repetition and the poor story lines (my opinion). But The Last of Us was not repetitive nor it had a poor story line. Au contraire, the story line was incredible! The best story line in video game history (again my opinion).

Story Line and the Emersion

The Story Line was filled with emotions. Sometimes I wasn't even sure how to feel. SPOILER [wen Tess died, was I suppose to be sad, she was a great character, but at the same time she was infected... Thus she needed to leave the group. I was sad, happy and relieved at the same time] SPOILER ENDS. It's then I realized, why am I getting attached to this video game, why am I treating it like real life? The Last of Us was the "second" title to immerse me this much in the world. The Elder Scrolls series has immersed me in all of their games, but I had to try and I had to role play. In the Last of Us, I did not even have to try to get immersed. It just happened....

The Music

The Music... It was incredible. Flawless, Gustavo Santaolalla did a great job on the music. It sounded perfect for the theme and the emotions of the characters in the video game. It was dark music thus it went vet well with the darker/sad theme. It also added a lot to the experience. Without the music, the Last of Us would not be the same game. When I listen to the music in video games, I treat it like if it was the graphics. They're either bad or incredible. This leads me to my next point graphics.

The Graphics

The graphics, they where incredible. The lighting, the shadows, the plants, the buildings, everything from the grass to the huge universities looked great. There is really not much to say other than this, it was the perfect game to end the PS3 before the next gen games came out.

I could write a full out 15 page review covering every aspect in detail and giving examples, but that won't do much. If you've never seen the game and have a PS3, it's a must buy.

If you want to see the trailer;
http://youtu.be/W01L70IGBgE
Sorta a trailer: http://youtu.be/b5DQ6mzFNyE

Sony/Play Station also posted episodes describing how the Last of Us was made;
The music: http://youtu.be/Ejdjcun2Jo4
The graphics: http://youtu.be/-ZJ2C6wAVpg
The infected: http://youtu.be/-ICRQYIoORg

RAWK ON

Edit; this post might be filled with mistakes and typos, but I'm writing this on my phone so it's a bit hard xD ill correct and revise this post on a computer later.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I've been wanting to try Infinite for a while now, but I don't have a particularly good relationship with FPS games. I'm not sure what it is; I find it more difficult to enjoy them compared to when I can see my character. I did enjoy Borderlands 2, even though I consider it to be merely an above average game, so I should give Infinite a chance. I'll attempt to borrow it from my friend.

I'm usually awful at FPS'. Ask any of my friends. But I wasn't bad at Infinite. Not because the gameplay is easy but because they allow you to use a wide range of combos that you can adapt to.

CptDrDigi

Chickity China
My game of the year, without a doubt, is The Last Of Us.

It was just a mind blowing game, the visuals, the story, the smaller notes, it was just near perfection.

The story was just an amazing adventure through beautiful locales, the story was so good, that, I wanted to play Bioshock Infinite again, seeing how both games had a rather similar basis, Troy Baker and protecting a young female character, and how at the beginning of the year, it was my choice for GOTY, and I just couldn't do it. I played Infinite for about half an hour, and just, it all seemed so much worse compared to TLOU. Don't get me wrong, BI was amazing, but, once I had the superior game, I just couldn't go back to amazing.

The story itself, did feel a bit like a mix and match of other things, mostly The Walking Dead, Uncharted, and BI, but those are all amazing, so no complaints really.

The gameplay was just breathtaking as well. The mixture of stealth, and survival horror, and action, was just the perfect combo. It's been a long time since a game, actually made me fill chills for a reason other than jumpscares.

I could list another thousand reasons why The Last Of Us is amazing, but I don't have the time currently, so, just take my word for it, The Last Of Us is amazing. It mixes so great things from other games, that it's just the perfect combo.

My other games that create my top three, are Grand Theft Auto V, and Fire Emblem Awakening. Each have their own faults, but are amazing games, and are just pinnacles of the respective series. They are also two of the few games that I can pick up for 30 minutes, play, and have an amazing time for every second.

GTAV's story wasn't as amazing as other games, but still passable. But it's fun doesn't come from that, it comes from gazing in wonder at the beautiful world, and the chaotic fun you can make doing anything you want to.

FEA is the opposite really, it's story isn't that amazing, that second arc was just meh, but it's so mentally challenging, like a game of chess, and you can just pay that for however long you want to, and have amazing fun with that.

But all in all, 2013 was an amazing year for games. Arguably the best since 2010.

Last edited:

Mister_SGG

I really liked Grand Theft Auto V's story mode. I found all three main characters likable, and the conversations between them were the highlight of the game for me.

Rain Dance

It's Raining Again..
As much as Pokemon X and Y was perfect for me, Bioshock Infinite left me wanting more. Can't wait for the next part of Burial at Sea.

( trust me, this was hard, I've put 600+ hours into X )

Angello

I didn't play Pokémon X/Y (I know, kill me please), but I played GTA V and this game is really interestig and funny. The mysteries of the game are the best part.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I'm usually awful at FPS'. Ask any of my friends. But I wasn't bad at Infinite. Not because the gameplay is easy but because they allow you to use a wide range of combos that you can adapt to.

BioShock Infinite is pretty easy, though. Well, when you have Elizabeth, anyway. When you're by yourself, it takes a steep rise. The game has serious difficulty curve issues. But to be fair, it did encourage Vigor combos more than BS1 did with Plasmids at all. (Honestly, most of the Plasmids in BS1 aren't that useful outside exploration. I mean, I didn't use the Vigors much in BSI anyway, because they're not nearly as useful as most of the weapons except against certain enemies, but there feels like a real reason to use more than one of them past the first phase of the game.)

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
The Last of Us is the GOTY for me.

GTAV might have been, but the game broke on me after making my GTAO character. The game just whited out Michael after, so I couldn't continue the story anymore. Was around 65%, and even after deleting my data, and uninstalling and re-installing, nothing still worked. I did start a new game, but I just remembered the really boring missions, and what a drag they were... So I just stopped there.

Pokémon was also a contender, but the Hoenn games are still my favorite. The story in XY, IMO, is very weak. Team Magma/Aqua's goals are stupid, but Flare is even worse. It took quite a while before the first Flare Grunt fight, the executives didn't do much, and Lysandre was just horrible. Team Flare was VERY UNDERDEVELOPED. What was their goal again? To make only the beautiful people stay or something? I thought you were just going through the motion. Another Pokémon game, another story about young heroes fighting Gym Leaders, beating the evil baddies, and becoming the Champion. I can't wait for other third version, which I hope will expand a lot more on Team Flare's backstory, and maybe Lysandre's relations with Sycamore and Diantha. Also, Rhyhorn Race mini game.

As for The Last of Us, I don't think I can say more than what reviewers are already saying about it. But the multiplayer is something I can comment by my own. TLOU's multiplayer is EXCELLENT. The mechanics from the story is brought into multiplayer. It's intense, exhilarating, and unique. It's 4v4, and that might seem small compared COD, and ANT-LIKE compared to BF4, but it's perfect for TLOU's smaller maps. Even bigger maps like Downtown and the snowy map still does well with only 8 players. When all 8 players are trying to take control of a room, it gets absolutely chaotic. What's best about it is one of those rare moments where you throw a Molotov into an area, and you burn all 4 enemies. You get so much gears and cans, and you just feel a sense of accomplishment. Plus, having that many kills at once would most likely put you up a number in that match leaderboard.

Fenix

Tremulant
I played 4 games that were relesead this year, and none of them are on the poll..

Starcraft 2: HotS, Zeno Clash II, Rogue Legacy and Fez (PC version).

My game of the year is definitely Save the Date though. Judging by the replies to this thread I am highly skeptical any of you could even begin to enjoy it, but I threw the link in anyway because you never know.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Pokemon X/Y by a long shot. Put nearly 300 hours into it so far and this is the first gen that I'm really getting into the online battling aspect of the game. Animal Crossing: New Leaf would be my second choice; I didn't put it down for those few months before X and Y came out. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is also a solid game, but I only just got it for Christmas and I'm maybe halfway through it so I don't think I can make a fair judgment about it compared to the other two.

Wolfaotic

send smeargles
My favourite games of 2013 are: Assassin's creed black flag, GTA V, X and Y, Super Mario 3D world and legend of Zelda Link between worlds.

Abstinence Pistols

I just realized I really played very few games that were actually released this year.

Anyway, Europa Universalis IV, anyone? The DLC in the game was pretty annoying, but the game itself is quite fun. It's probably the most accessible Paradox game, and the new Monarch points system is a big change from EU3 but doesn't really change it for the worse at all.

MrFreaky

Kingdom Hearts Nerd
If HD remakes count it would be Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix becuse Kingdom hearts is the best game series ever created. If HD remakes don't count the it would be Bioshock Infinte or Pokemon X & Y can't really decide, both of the were really awesome games

UnitRico

I just realized I really played very few games that were actually released this year.

Anyway, Europa Universalis IV, anyone? The DLC in the game was pretty annoying, but the game itself is quite fun. It's probably the most accessible Paradox game, and the new Monarch points system is a big change from EU3 but doesn't really change it for the worse at all.

Couldn't agree with you more. Sure, Paradox releases more and more visual DLC that don't really change the game, but the amazing support and expansions coupled with the sheer insane amount of hours I'm still going to put in that game more than makes up for it: The CK2 converter, the observer modes the devs put in because they wanted one for their own multiplayer sessions and now the New World Randomiser are just a few reasons as to why this just blows every other game released in 2013 out of the water to me.

Serebii!

I feel sad that I haven't played any of these not even XY so I choose other and am going to say my favourite is Cookie Clicker