• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favourite Gift Pokemon in the Anime.

Favourite Gift Pokemon

• Brock's Vulpix

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Dawn's Togekiss

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Iris' Dragonite

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Lillie's Vulpix/"Snowy"

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Sophocles' Vikavolt

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

DatsRight

Okay let's go for something REALLY divisive around here. Out of all the Pokemon that were handed out to a trainer rather than properly caught, which did you think was most handled well?

I added an 'Other' entry not only if I missed any but because the actual stipulations for 'gift' Pokemon and earned ones aren't very clear in the anime.

Kintaro

Banned
Well I guess the two Vulpix's, because they don't really actually do much and don't feel cheap....lol. Problem is the Vulpix's just don't get much screentime especially Brock's which did nothing.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I guess maybe Lillie's Vulpix, but tbh I don't think it really counts as a gift Pokemon since she bonded with her as an egg before catching it.

Iris' Dragonite wasn't really a gift Pokemon either since she worked hard bonding with it. Dawn's Togekiss was definitely the cheapest gift Pokemon out of all the options though imo.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I guess maybe Lillie's Vulpix.

Iris' Dragonite wasn't really a gift Pokemon since she worked hard bonding with it. Dawn's Togekiss was definitely the cheapest gift Pokemon out of all the options though imo.

Well I don't really use the term 'gift Pokemon' in relation to that cheapness but the fact they were gifts, just I made this thread because I know gift Pokemon are often criticised for being related to such cheapness, some of them are seen as mere commodities to make the trainer more powerful without actually working for it, but not always, some in fact instigate more development for the trainer.

But yeah, people forget Iris' Dragonite was a deconstruction of that whole issue, it was an OP Pokemon she didn't train for, but that was the whole point, it won fights but it never listened to her and was out of her control, and her opponents called her out on that, it was never treated as some sign of her credibility until she tamed it and learned to use it properly.

Kintaro

Banned
Togekiss itself wasn't a bad pokemon, but getting it only 2 eps before the Grand Festival and used in her main rivals (Zoey) big battle of the saga did feel very odd. Since it didn't win the battle people aren't too hard on it, but it seems strange the writers would give Dawn a fully evolved pokemon she never had to train in her most important Contest battle.

DatsRight

I kinda lean towards Sophocles' Vikavolt for my personal choice. It was a rather endearing way to set about a gift Pokemon, since it was Ash that actually caught it for him, developing their friendship a little. Also not only was Charjabug not conveniently powerful to begin with, but it was thankfully caught pretty early in SM (the first non-Ash secondary in fact) so we still got plenty of time with it bonding with Sophocles and Togedemaru and taking part in their gadgetry antics. We actually saw more activity and development from Sophocles through Charjabug than Togedemaru. It definitely cemented itself as Sophocles' Pokemon.

The rush build up to the league may leave Vikavolt on a slightly wary stance right now, though I think it's fair to assume that any farce that could occur between now and then would hardly be down to it being a gift Pokemon.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Brock's Vulpix will always be the most memorable of the lot.
Shame they got rid of her before she could do anything, like Misty's Horsea

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
How does that make Vulpix memorable again? =p

Because it's a classic
And didn't feel cheap like Dragonite and Togekiss did, Vulpix was a way to help Brock with his Breeder goal without being an easy ticket. Togekiss gets a pass as it was obvious the writer's thought they had more time, like with Noivern's rushed evolution. Dragonite as no valid excuse whatsoever

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
Brock's Vulpix literally got 2 eps of screentime, it's debut episode and it's farewell ep in Johto.

LMAO, all the pokemon in the OS era beside Psyduck and the Kanto starters were handled horribly. Most of the time people would forget Misty/Brock even had Pokemon.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
How the heck was Iris's Dragonite a gift Pokemon when she legitimately caught it unlike Charjabug, Vulpix, and Togekiss which were passed down from person to person? Anyways, I vote Togekiss since it helped Dawn greatly at the Sinnoh GF.

DatsRight

How the heck was Iris's Dragonite a gift Pokemon when she legitimately caught it unlike Charjabug, Vulpix, and Togekiss which were passed down from person to person? Anyways, I vote Togekiss since it helped Dawn greatly at the Sinnoh GF.

I admit to partially putting Dragonite in to heat up the conversation, though really Ash's Rockruff belongs in here under the same technicality.

Kintaro

Banned

A fully evolved dragon powerhouse is a gift no matter how she got it. The writers could have given her a Dratini earlier in the series and it evolve twice, but instead they just quickly slapped Dragonite on her, likely because they realized they weren't going to evolve Axew and were struggling to find a way to show her develop with a strong dragon pokemon.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I know Dawn’s Togekiss gets a lot of flak for being rushed and an unnecessary replacement of Ambipom bring Ambipom back you cowards but I enjoyed the mother role it played and it did look fitting next to Piplup at the finale (I do think Mamoswine would’ve fit better though as he’s arguably the Pokèmon she put the most effort into raising)

Hanto

Water Addiction
Why the heck everybody likes the cheap Togekiss while Dragonite at least had its story arc, proper battles, character development and cool personality

Kintaro

Banned
Why the heck everybody likes the cheap Togekiss while Dragonite at least had its story arc, proper battles, character development and cool personality

Togekiss at least lost the only important battle it was in, so it's not like it gave Dawn a cheap rode to victory to beat Zoey. Dragonite had some development, but it's whole thing was to give Iris a quick and easy powerhouse dragon.

nickdt

I personally feel you cannot count Brocks Vulpix because it was temporary (And as such was not a gift). Now, Ash's Phanpy on the other hand.

DatsRight

I personally feel you cannot count Brocks Vulpix because it was temporary (And as such was not a gift). Now, Ash's Phanpy on the other hand.

From what I remember it was intended to be a gift from a girl he (rather predictably) crushed on. When she reappeared and was revealed to be in love with someone else, Brock decided he didn't want Vulpix anymore, which in hindsight, comes off as rather callous. He only appreciated the poor thing as a romantic gesture.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Togekiss at least lost the only important battle it was in, so it's not like it gave Dawn a cheap rode to victory to beat Zoey. Dragonite had some development, but it's whole thing was to give Iris a quick and easy powerhouse dragon.
Dragonite didn't do much winning after the 2 junior cup wins (and even then, iris was called out on her wins), heck I don't know if it even won a single non-TR battle afterwards, from the top of my head, it lost to drayden's dragonite, was being creamed by ash's charizard before N interrupted the fight, and helped a bit against TP, maybe it KO'd a few of their pokemon, but I can't remember if it did even that