• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favourite Hoenn Gym Leader?

Who is your favourite Hoenn Gym Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Brawly

• Wattson

• Flannery

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Norman

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Winona

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Tate & Liza

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Wallace

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Juan

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
If we're going by the games, it'd be Norman because of his relationship with the player and how he gives the impression of both a strong trainer & a wise mentor.

If we're going by the anime, it'd be Tate & Liza because of their sibling dynamic and their match with Ash was pretty good (whether or not you take Thunder Armor into consideration)

If we're going by the Adventures manga, it'd be Roxanne because I love how it portrays her as a stuck up honor student who only accepts challengers that pass her written test. It fits perfectly with her gimmick & puts a unique spin on a classic anime trope.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
No-one in Hoenn are any favorites of mine in particular. But Flannery with her fiery personality and my favorite fire element makes her a easy standout choice.....and she's sexy too.

She is even in my top 10 for hottest pokemon girls.

Shinruna

Rose of Fire
150px-VSFlannery.png

Being my most appreciated character in Pokémon, Flannery is certainly the gym leader I'm going for here. I find her hairstyle to be freaking amazing first of all, as it makes me think about a red painted star; her gym, despite its "brain teaser" which I guess for most people can be a bit annoying, is a fantastic place since it's located on the site of a thermal spring; and at last, I like this character because of her all around messed up personality.

On a side note - her signature Pokémon(s) are Camerupt and Torkoal, both of which I happen to make use quite a lot... and it's been since Ruby, my first ever Pokémon game, that I've always dreamed about one thing: being able to walk through the various Pokémon regions with her sprite (let's say just up to Gen. V at least, when the main character couldn't be customized) -
Flannery_OD.png

Ryker101

Norman for me as well. Your battle with him was built up from the start and he’s the main obstacle till that point. He’s also literally the only dad we’ve seen from a player character. He’s reasonably challenging too, especially back then when I didn’t know how truant worked so couldn’t exploit it.

Jolteon_Kal

Pokemon Master
Gym #7: Mossdeep City - Tate & Liza

Double Pokémon battle was epic at the time the game came out

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
It’s a toss up between Liza and Tate and Norman. All of them are interesting and I like the backstory behind them. The twins are interesting because of the urban myth that twins can read each other’s mind and in Emerald, they pretty much cover their Aces’ weaknesses pretty well and utilize the Double Battle mechanic very well while not being a hinderance to each other at the same time. It’s pretty surprising that a Double Gym Battle would not happen again until Raihan in SwSh. Norman is very intriguing as he is currently the only player character father to ever be seen in the games and you can actually battle him. I like how his Gym really doesn’t have a traditional Gym puzzle and the real test is to see how well you can adapt and overcome any single stat being altered by an item. You actually need to think outside of the box when facing the Gym trainers. And then Norman’s Slaking will definitely throw you off course by having Facade on both of them in RS and Counter in Emerald which both can hit hard under the right circumstances. And in ORAS it’s even worse since Slaking has Retaliate on all of his Pokémon which will severely hurt you as Vigoroth and the other Slaking will immediately use it as soon as they are sent out.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Roxanne - I like her design and characterization in the anime. Her ace Nosepass is cool and it’s design has an interesting backround.

treatyofversigh

I like Flannery! I've always been able to relate to how it seems like she's really just out here doing her best, but she doesn't quite know what she's doing. I've always liked her gym, too. I also like Winona, but that's more just because I like her design.

Rune Knight

Woaw-where am I?

Norman, I think that the idea of having one of the gym leaders be directly related to the MC was genius. I was thinking that in a future game, the Champion could be someone like the MC's grandfather/grandmother.

Alessei9

Norman because he's the player's dad so that was one of the most special gym battles in the Hoenn games. His team was tough to beat too which I liked. :)

Xuxuba

I think Winona's team was one of the most balaced and her stance brings her design to life, but personality wise i feel like Flannery had more to bring to the table. Norman is also more important when it comes to the plot.

Still, i'd pick Winona as my favorite, because i feel like a gym leader should offer at least a tiny bit of a challenge (which Flannery doesn't) and Norman is incredibly boring despite being the MC's father, his design and dialogue were so bland that you could almost mistake him for a random npc.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Let's not bump threads that are older than 60 days. Exceptions being anything pinned, fan art, fan fic. Double check the rules in each section just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.