1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite moments of XY(Z)

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by TheScentedApple, Jul 16, 2016.

1. EvanUn0

EvanUn0 Active Member

Oh boy, I have so many that I can list! But I'll try to keep it as condensed as possible.
    -Ash being a more respectable, more intelligent character again
    -Giving Serena more importance that being just another "Female player character" so to speak
    -Clemont is adorable!
    -Amazing battles
    -The Ash-Greninja arc
    -Ash putting his quest for the 8th badge on hold, just so Serena can partake in the master class
    -Even though Ash only really has 2 true rivals, I like them a lot more than most of the BW ones.

2. Alexander18

Alexander18 Banned

Ash catching Goomy and evolving.
    Ash catching Noibat, evolving and taking on Zapdos.
    Frogadier evolving into Greninja.
    Fletchinder evolving to Talonflame and taking on Moltres.

3. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Korrina's Arc
    All the episodes with Senpai
    Goodra's development and return
    Hawlucha's moments with Noibat
    Noibat evolving against Zapdos
    Pumpkaboo's evolution episode
    James and Inkay's development during Malamar episodes
    James putting on the same bland disguise but helping Serena with Braixen's problem.
    The moment where one of my favorite Pokemon joined the cast after years...... and his occasional use. Should be obvious who I'm talking about.
    Jessie winning a key
    Miette teasing Serena and getting to dance with Ash
    Serena's faces
    Pancham getting caught
    Everytime Ash pwned Sawyer
    Nene losing first round of Master Class

4. riceant

riceant Well-Known Member

My fav is the rock n roll shipping episode :p so funny

5. Lionel_B

Lionel_B Well-Known Member

Goodra developpment
    Relation Hawlucha/Noivern

And many times about Alan's Adventure...

As Kyogre Primal VS Groudon Primal VS Mega Rayquaza <3

6. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko 3 Days Until SwSh!!! :D

Ash and Korrina interactions (such a kawaii ship idea!)
    Some Amourshipping moments (even though I've come to borderline hate the ship)
    XY060
    The Kalos League

I'll edit this as I think of more :)

7. Dax

Dax R.I.P Dax

Serena cutting her hair has probably been the most symbolic and beautiful moment I've seen recently on the series, so that's my favorite. I enjoyed her development and how her personality has always been calm and mature.

Fletchinder's evolution was also a great moment in the series.

Hawlucha and Noibat's moments brought back the things I enjoyed the most from Pokemon: when everyone feels like a family instead of Ash's pokemon.

8. Shneak

Shneak totem lurantis is the hardest boss

- The gym battles for the most part were great. Vs Viola, Vs Viola Rematch, Vs Korrina, Vs Clemont, Vs Diantha, and Vs Wulfric had some amazing animations and strategy.
    - The Team Flare arc being dispersed throughout the latter-end of the series.
    - Ash no longer having reserves.
    - Team Rocket actually caring for their Pokemon.
    - Better companions with chemistry.

9. Vivieeeeeee

Vivieeeeeee Active Member

The Goodra storyline

10. JD

JD .

• Anything involving Hawlucha.
    • Anything involving Froakie/Frogadier/Greninja
    • Ash vs Olympia

11. Locormus

Locormus Can we please get the old forum back?

When Ash lost the league final..

12. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

One of my favorite moments were the Pikachu Dreams of Squishy episode. We finally heard Puni chan talk for the first time (and what a majestic voice) and the whole episode was a hilarious ride. It was nice to see how all the Pokémon would speak outside of saying their name. I guess Pikachu missed that bullet.

Ash vs Alan Round 2. An intense battle filled with excitement from both sides. I was also scared for Ash when he fainted after synchronizing with Gekouga and not being able to handle any more damage.

The Mirror personalities of the protagonists. Mirror!Ash was so cute! Also I laughed out loud when Mirror!Clemont stomped on Meowth nonchalantly.

Bonnie giving back Flabebe instead of keeping it. The episode showed how mature she is for her age and she's more than just a carefree girl who loves cute things and marrying off her brother. Also that small blurb when she told a girl, who actually wanted Clemont, that he likes it when an Arbok is wrapped around his body while he sleeps.

EDIT: Goodra arc
    Ash-Greeninja arc
    Ash going into a (short) depression
    Ash & Clemont bromance
    Jessie's Tripokalon Performance
    The Mega Evolution Specials
    Pikachu vs Meowth in the Pokeball episode
    Hahayakoma's evolution, Ash risking his life for it, and it getting a hit on Moltres
    Goodra returning and entering the League with Ash!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  13. NeoDude-5000

NeoDude-5000 Well-Known Member

Everything with Ash-Greninja
    Super-Ancient Pokemon clash 2.0 (done right this time)
    Every Gym Battle (Valerie didn't really impress)
    The Kalos League (Mega's everywhere and epic battles)
    Mega Evolution
    Zygarde
    Character development (best compared to previous series)
    Froakie breaking the Water type starter curse
    Alain's story arc

14. cam24t

cam24t Master

Greninja pwning Megas.

15. nickdt

nickdt Well-Known Member

Greninja didn't. Ash-Greninja did, thats a difference.

16. ShinyCharyZard

ShinyCharyZard Honesty=Infractions

It's the same Pokemon..

17. Rapiido

Rapiido Well-Known Member

The animation. It was almost on par with the movies.
    Development for all of Ash's team members/only having a "main" 5 Pokemon to evenly distribute focus/battles.
    A bird that isn't Pidgeotto 6.0
    Serena's development
    Siblings who act like siblings
    Ash not being a complete idiot
    All the gym battles

18. hydrosharp_98

hydrosharp_98 27/02/96

Quite simply, the battle animation made the real difference this time around. It's a "small" change in the context of the series, but it makes a world of difference when you've seen nothing but different colour backgrounds and Microsoft PowerPoint themes used as backgrounds for the animation.

19. Locormus

Locormus Can we please get the old forum back?

The animation is only close to on par with the movies, and that's only selected episodes.

Talonflame hasn't really gotten much development at all, aside from evolving and getting frequent gym battle wins.

There hasn't been a bird that has been a Pidgeotto 5.0 even, they're all different. Also, I'm getting the feeling that you think that Pidgeotto wasn't a great bird, though it had participated in quite a few gym battles for which people don't give it credit.
    - Noctowl: Had Psychic-type moves and its shinyness sets it apart from Pidgeotto by miles.
    - Swellow: It had a more physical fighting style, whereas Pidgeotto mixed it up with Gust and Double Edge for example.
    - Staraptor: Pidgeotto wouldn't even dare dream of Close Combat and Brave Bird. Pidgeotto couldn't fight melee, but Staraptor had the tools to do such. *Swellow's brawn let it fight melee as well.
    - Unfezant: Probably the most like Pidgeotto. Mixed attacks and didn't really have a finishing move. Also perceived as not a capable fighter (though Pidgeotto most certainly was, as Ash used it often).
    - Talonflame: Type diversity sets it apart obviousy, but in terms of battling style, it isn't actually too different. Again, moves aren't exactly the same, but there's a certain similarity there.
    1. A move that's about wind: Gust (compared to Razor Wind).
    2. A move that's a recoil dealing STAB: Double Edge (compared to Brave Bird).
    3. A move that's about increased speed: Quick Attack (compared to Flame Charge).
    4. A generic wing based clash move: Wing Attack (compared to Steel Wing).

So Unfezant pretty much is Pidgeotto 2.0, while Talonflame could be seen as Pidgeotto 3.0.

I agree with Serena's development, from the getgo, to the moment she confides to Palermo that she was just looking for an excuse to leave home, to finding out what her purpose was. Very well done.

I think that May and Max acted like siblings. An elder brother/younger sister dynamic is very different then an older sister/younger brother-dynamic. But Clemont and Bonnie when they do have that bond on screen are a joy to watch.

Ash isn't a complete idiot, but he's turned into classical shonen at this point, which isn't too great either.

Agreed on the gym battles, there isn't one "Nimbasa" among them. People are still sort of ignoring vs. Grant, as it was a 3 vs. 2 when there was no need for such, but in all honesty, I liked the fight, though Fletchling joining the fray was kinda pointless, but I liked that Grant wanted to see what Ash's entire team was about. We've seen plenty of regions where there's one or even two critters who always gets the lower end of gym appearances (think Squirtle in Kanto/Totodile and even Bayleef/Taillow pre-evolution/Torkoal), and this just gave extra spotlight to the one that wasn't a starter. You can criticize Fletchling for not getting a win against Tyrunt, but then again, you can also criticize other series for not giving Totodile a chance to get a solo win in a gym. Then again, we can still criticize XY for not including that Amaura.. I would've taken a Steel Wing vs. Icy Wind tie.

20. Billybo10K

Billybo10K Silent Trainer

I've got two main standouts from the season.

My first is Jessie as a character. She's come a long way in her Performer sub-plot and was entertaining and mature (When not bragging) throughout her showcases. I absolutely adore cheering James, such as when he failed to whistle in the Masterclass, made me chuckle. But seeing Jessie not get upset but acknowledge how far she had come at the end of the Masterclass, that just really stood out to me for some reason. She may not be Kalos Queen but she's definitely Team Rocket's Queen.

My favourite aspect of the anime though, Ash-Greninja all the way. As someone who was skeptical and against it from the start, I was so pleasantly surprised with how they handled the growth between the pair that it quickly helped to boost Greninja right up there with Sceptile and Pikachu in terms of memorability from Ash's Pokemon.

Although, I head a lot of people didn't like the Depression Arc, and while they could have done a tiny bit more, for Pokemon, what they did with Ash and Greninja really stuck out to me. It showed just how far the show has come to both break the status quo and provide character development on a mature scale. Plus, this is the first powerhouse Water type started Ash has had and it hasn't disappointed (Not including Squirtle or Oshawott since, let's be real, they may be awesome, but they're still unevolved).