1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite moments of XY(Z)

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by TheScentedApple, Jul 16, 2016.

1. johno1995

johno1995 Well-Known Member

The animation in general was absolutely lovely in this series
    The moments of levity in certain episodes (the Pikachu special was a fun one)
    The battles were well-executed for the most part (gyms in particular)
    Clemont/Ash relationship/bromance was fun to watch develop
    Ash having a fully-evolved team was great to see
    XY for the most part was incredibly well-paced and written
    The Team Flare arc

2. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

pickaxe mizu shuriken was pretty good

3. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Tsundere Girl

Yeah this moment was epic

4. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

And then they got completely shown up by the two Zs doing their job with ease. :p

5. Pokegirl Fan~

With Bonnie encouraging them lmao

6. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Bonnie with the straight up murder command

To be fair, Core Enforcer was amazing to look at.

7. mystic9899

mystic9899 Pokemon fan

i really liked hawlucha. definitely my favorite pokemon from the main cast (aside from pikachu).

8. Pokegirl Fan~

Hawlucha is probably my favorite of Ash's Pokemon. I also like Braixen, Sylveon, Pancham, and Chespin as well.

9. DatsRight

I will admit to really liking TR's Kalos roster, even if they sadly got reduced to jobbers by XYZ, Inkay and Gourgeist did at least get a few moments to shine and bounced off the others very well.

10. ThePokemonmaster11

ThePokemonmaster11 Well-Known Member

By far the best moment(s) of XY was the Team Flare showdown, I really liked that the gym leaders and champions got involved rather than just leaving the protagonists to handle it on their own. It just makes for a more realistic story.

I also liked Ash's progression with Froakie which culminated in his Bond Phenomenon Greninja, if only the writers hadn't screwed them over in the Kalos League finals.

11. Daniel31

Daniel31 HopingGaryReturns

Only 9 more pages and we'll catch up to the Worst Moments thread!

Not sure if this was mentioned and all Amourshipping aside, but I liked those private conversations between Ash and Serena. At the summer camp when they fell down into the canyon (talking about dreams), the night at the end of the Master Class, and recently XYZ45 when they battled each other. Some genuine moments even if don't ship them.

12. Janovy

Janovy Banned

If Ash and Serena had more of those moments, perhaps I would have shipped them as well.

Sadly, these genuine moments were quite rare and for that reason I feel like even the Ash/Serena friendship wasn't as developed as it might have been.

13. The only negative thing I can say about the Team Flare arc was how DEM 100% Zygarde was.

The rest of the Team Flare arc was amazing. Animation, inclusion of characters (except Manon), giving the arc a very BW feel by bringing the gym leaders in, giving Ash that one inspiring quote, all those awesome scenes which turned me on, etc. I loved it.

14. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

How??? That is not what a DEM is lol

15. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Oh, are you not familiar with the meaning of DEM in PAD?

DEM = Didn't Enjoy Much

16. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

Overall pros:

1. Unova/BW Ash completely felt out of place in terms of character and trainer skill from the OS>AG>DP progression. Even though XY didn't have any major continuity, at least XY Ash resembled[/s] a potential post-DP Ash.

2. Delightful animation, especially in the battles and Serena's Free Performances. The gym battles and two league full battles are easily rewatchable.

3. Clemont was one of the best sidekicks during the first year of episodes.

4. Serena's overall character was inferior to that of May's, Misty's, and Dawn's, but when she did shine, it came through (first seven episodes; cliff/river scene with Ash in the camp; episode 53 where she rides Rhyhorn and challenges her mom; episode 60/debut/haircut scene; snowball scene with Ash).

5. Pikachu/IKUZEfrog/Lucha/Smogonbird were handled relatively well in their own ways. Pikachu wasn't overly inconsistent, and ended up the MVP at the league. IKUZEfrog had a heroic arc that is at least commendable in its attempt. Lucha was comical yet far from a butt monkey, and had a great dynamic with Mr. Big and Reliable. Smogonbird was used prolifically, even if it wasn't the best bird.

6. Chespin/Bunnelby, and Braixen/Pancham/Sylveon were handed relatively well too.

7. "Zettai Akiramenai" Based XY&Z song is based. The instrumental remixes were also based. Volt was pretty good when not overplayed. Overall, the BGM was quality as expected.

8. Alain was a surprisingly complicated character, and added depth. Alain X Manon = best ship.

9. Mega Evolution specials and the Team Flare arc (including that five episode climax) were fantastic in terms of scope and tonality. ME ACT III was easily the best episode in the entire series.

10. Last but not least, it was fun to watch. It was a series full of potential, with often only mediocre to decent execution, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Never did I feel like quitting.

17. noakai

noakai Well-Known Member

I have to agree on the music. This season's music has been my favorite to date - all of the OPs and most of the EDs were really awesome and I loved them, but the use of good background music added so much to the battles. I'm actually grateful people pointed out how much changing the music in the dub wrecked the feel of battles because it made me appreciate the actual bgm used even more.

18. DatsRight

DEM may not have been the right term. They could have shown Zygarde at least remotely struggling against the Megalith to suggest why there was any real reluctance transforming BEFORE everyone nearly killed themselves against it though. Why not do it right away if it was THAT DAMN EASY?

And concerning music, I admit to loving DoriDori and Rocket-dan Danka and being incredibly disappointed neither were translated (though the dub at least used some instrumentals of the latter).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  19. I agree with you entirely with both these factors. ME III was, for a Hoennbaby like me, a huge explosion of trumpets and parental Rayquayquay and surfing and goddamn rocks, plus PR and ME to give it that modern ORAS feel. Plus in it we have my personal dap virile anime trio; Alan, Manon and Daigo. Only thing I can really say that I dislike about ME III was how they completely ignored Wallace. There could've been a perfect bro moment, plus Wallace needed more bad**s screentime he didn't get.

20. DatsRight

For what it's worth, as dull as XY Ash could sometimes be in action, there is one thing I found quite intriguing and cathartic about him this series, and thats how they lampshaded how much effect his travelling ends up having on everyone he meets. Fans complain that he accidentally set up for his own loss but, unlike other series, at least that was the intended point, he kept putting others first, and it had a domino effect. Nearly everyone in Kalos has benefitted from him being around in some way, and while that has came at the expense of his own goals, it does make him feel very accomplished.