• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favourite Pokemon Chemistries

DatsRight

I've seen a lot of human character chemistry threads so I thought I'd ask about this area. Pokemon interactions are more understated but do tend to make some of the most fun and endearing moments in the show.

So what are some of your favourite dynamics between Pokemon in past episodes?

Red and Blue

Rowlet and Melmetal's bond was pretty strong. Especially when you consider that both of them were the first and last Pokemon of Gen 7

DatsRight

Rowlet and Melmetal's bond was pretty strong. Especially when you consider that both of them were the first and last Pokemon of Gen 7

That's.....a pretty clever nod there actually.

SM was pretty good for Pokemon double acts and establishing all the teams as like adopted siblings. Turtonator and Marowak, and Rockruff/Lycanroc and Litten/Torracat/Incineroar were other good cases, though I did enjoy them sneaking in lots of quick subtle moments with other ones like Togedemaru and Charjabug/Vikavolt. I think the only ones that were kind of a let down were Charizard and Primarina (despite getting a handful of moments with Sandy as Popplio).

Pikachu of course is probably the KING of Pokemon chemistries. There's of course his first big brother bond with Togepi, the OS starter trio and the SM team (especially Popplio/Naganadel).

I also like whenever his friendly enemy dynamic with Meowth perks up. He's so skeptical to Meowth's tricks but he does keep falling into pally moments with him (one of my favourites is the first XY forest split up episode where, after some conscience moments from Froakie and Chespin, he decides against his better judgement to let Meowth tag along, even patting his back supportively. He REALLY wants to believe he will change).

Meowth and Wobbuffet was a cute bond that quietly developed throughout the show as well.

Last edited:

Cradily19

I don't remember Ash's DP pokemon having any friendships with each other much besides the generic interactions during picnic scenes or whatever.

In XY we had Hawlucha looking after Noibat, and in SM Rowlett and Litten/Torracat had a funny dynamic that went on through the show. Of course Bulbasaur/Squirtle and to a lesser extent Charizard

squashthatapple

Azalea Town Resident
Pikachu and Piplup had one of the closest friendships as Pokémon to Pokémon in the series, personally. They just seemed like great pals and always together through any hardships. It was really cute and personally my favorite!

Sceptile (as a grovyle) and Corphish had a weird little connection, and quite a few funny moments between them. Axew and Scraggy, as younger Pokémon, had a cool brotherly connection as well. Iconic Pikachu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Charizard combo is iconic. And the Johto trio has had their moments which I like as well.

DatsRight

I always sort of liked how Yancham and Harimaron interacted. I know that they weren't friends in the usual sense, but there was something very amusing and adorable about their rivalry.

I did like the odd moments they still had a mutual ground or shown they still had a 'bro code'. The actual fighting between them got overdone a bit too much, but I think that was because so many Pokemon in XY were evolved by the end of the series, and before SM, generally when a Pokemon got big/evolved it meant their chemistries and screentime diminished for the animator's sake.

I think this is why Turtonator and Marowak's bickering didn't get stale, they weren't left holding the spotlight like Pancham and Chespin eventually were.

DatsRight

Popplio and Eevee

I remember Popplio and Sandy being one of the most cathartic since, in spite of the Youtube hellfire about Sandy not going to Ash, I was just happy Popplio finally had a team mate to bounce off of and gain more of personality from like the other Alola signatures.

And then just a few episodes after Popplio evolved and went back to being a satellite character for Lana. Which was annoying since SM had otherwise avoided demoting the bigger Pokemon from interaction scenes (even Tsareena got some gentler big sister moments around Shaymin, and she had fully evolved long before Mallow even got Shaymin).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Pokémon interactions are my favorite part of the show next to the battles so I have a lot that I like:

Pikachu & Togepi/Piplup/Axew/Togedemaru/Buneary: the typical big brother/role model and little brother dynamic

*Ash’s original 6 4 (especially Bulbasaur and Squirtle): They give off the impression of old friends who’ve been through a lot together perfectly

*Bulbasaur and Heracross: The sap gag is one of the few that never gets old

*Treecko/Grovyle and Corphish: A small rivalry between 2 big egos

*Pikachu and Bayleef/Aipom/Oshawott: Jealously from the latter 3 for Ash’s attention

*All of Ash’s Sinnoh Pokémon, while not the closest team, felt they supported each other through a lot of their roadblocks

*Sudowoodo and Happiny: The former had experience as a baby so it protects Happiny as a big brother

*Ash’s Unova starters: Tepig and Oshawott were always bickering while Snivy had to break it up. Was adorable especially in that Bouffalant episode

*Axew and Scraggy: 2 weak Pokémon who formed a bond over it. Shame we never got Scrafty vs Haxorus in Gym Battle

*Emolga and Snivy: I like how Snivy was the only one who saw through Emolga’ bs.

*Pikachu and Krookodile: I miss when Krookodile followed Ash solely to fight Pikachu. Once it was caught, it just vanished.

*Froakie and Fletchling: They has this pseudo rivalry early on in XY but it faded out over time.

*Hawlucha and Noibat/Noivern: Easily the best bromance in the show. Also showed a soft side to Hawlucha.

*Sylveon and Bunnelby: I always liked how Bunnelby was helping a Eevee ease its shyness with its straight main personality

*Litten and Rockruff: A unique twist on the classic dog vs cat trope with them being friendly rivals. Wish we saw more of them in their final forms

*Turtonator and Marowak: always liked how Marowak tried to rile him up

Leonhart

Imagineer
BabaVanga said:
Bulbasaur and Squirtle
Pikachu and Togepi
Snivy and Emolga
Bunnelby and Eevee
Pancham and Chespin
Litten/Torracat and Rockruff/Lycanroc
Pikachu and Togedemaru
Popplio and Eevee

I forgot about Pikachu and Togedemaru. I remember thinking at one point that their interactions would turn into another Mimirol-type romance subplot, but I'm glad that it didn't.

SerenaRulez

I forgot about Pikachu and Togedemaru. I remember thinking at one point that their interactions would turn into another Mimirol-type romance subplot, but I'm glad that it didn't.

I always wondered why the writers don't do more shipping stuff with the cast members Pokemon. It was funny when Buneary had a crush on Pikachu and when Oshawott loved Emolga and she rejected him.

Fairy King

I really liked how Snivy interacted with most of the pokemon cast in BW but especially with Emolga. Emolga was adorable and I liked the lazy squirrel but Snivy made sure she never got too obnoxiously manipulative. I also enjoyed most of the SM pokemon relationships as well but especially Popplio/Sandy, Lycanroc/Incineroar, and Rowlet/everyone else. In XY I thought Pancham and Braixen had a good Big sister/Little brother dynamic.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RafaSceptile said:
DP: Pikachu & Piplup

I thought that they had a few funny scenes here and there, such as in the episode where they were attracted to each other, but I personally felt that their friendship was minor and not really showcased as often as I would've liked to have seen.