• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favourite Regional Variants

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Generation VII introduced the concept of regional variants, which are known as Alolan Forms in the Alola region. Did you like the idea? Which Alolan Forms appealed to you the most? Please remember not to spam and explain your choice(s) a bit.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
My favourites would be Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales because they're so cute and elegant. I also like the idea of an ice Vulpix and Ninetales as well also I like Alolan Ninetales's Fairy typing.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I like Vulpix and Ninetales for their coloration which suits them quite nicely, Marowak for how creative GF was with its design particularly with lighting the bone weapon on fire, Sandshrew and Sandslash for their unique type combo and coloration, And Raichu for how it uses its own tail to move around.

M.P.

Retired
I like Alolan Marowak the most: I feel it was the most creative one. I also like Alolan Golem (Used one on my team plus I like the design and typing), Ninetales (looks really nice) and Sandslash (unique type comibination).

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Regional variants are one of the few things I enjoyed about Generation 7. It gave Pokemon I've never used before a second chance.

A. Raichu - I never really had an interest in the original design of Raichu. This regional variant was more appealing and the surfer design fit the Hawaiian theme.

A. Marowak
- Definitely the most interesting design out of them all. Being Fire/Ghost is quite the departure from its original typing.

A. Sandshrew/Sandslash
- Great design and type combination for both of them.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Alolan Marowak, Sandshrew/Sandslash, Raichu, Golem, and Vulpix/Ninetales are among my favorites. Diglett/Dugtrio are beyond disappointing. Exeggutor is just derpy and I can't bring myself to like it. Meowth looks nice but dear god is Persian just... ugly. Rattata/Raticate are just meh overall. I like Grimer/Muk, but I feel like it was a missed opportunity for a Poison/Ground pile of quicksand.

Was really hoping we'd get a Water Snake variation for Ekans/Arbok and a Manatee variation for Seel/Dewgong, but I'll take what we got.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I think my favourites would have to be:

026-a.png
Raichu
038-a.png
Ninetales

I like their type combinations, but what I like most about them is their designs - Raichu is adorable, Ninetales looks beautiful with the icy blue colouring.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I would have to go with Ninetales. The Alola form makes Ninetales everything that it was meant to be. It makes a great addition to any in game team with the unique movepool it has. The ice/fairy typing is unique to just it. As far as competitive battling it has access to Snow Warning and Aurora Veil. Fastest weather setter. And as an added bonus the updated design is absolutely perfect.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Alolan Marowak, Sandshrew/Sandslash, Raichu, Golem, and Vulpix/Ninetales are among my favorites. Diglett/Dugtrio are beyond disappointing. Exeggutor is just derpy and I can't bring myself to like it. Meowth looks nice but dear god is Persian just... ugly. Rattata/Raticate are just meh overall. I like Grimer/Muk, but I feel like it was a missed opportunity for a Poison/Ground pile of quicksand.

Was really hoping we'd get a Water Snake variation for Ekans/Arbok and a Manatee variation for Seel/Dewgong, but I'll take what we got.
I was hoping for an aquatic Ekans and Arbok as well. I would have also loved to have seen a tropical Bellossom, Shuckle inside a coconut, Octillery turning a brighter orange with blue highlights and becoming part Poison to be similar to the blue ringed octopus, a Tropius with hibiscus flowers growing from the side of its head and much larger neck fruit, and a Chatot that looked similar to a macaw parrot. All missed opportunities if you ask me.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Although I've never used them, my favorite variants are Alolan Vulpix line and Alolan Raichu, They are just so cute and cool design wise. I would love to get a shiny Alolan Raichu as he looks like chocolate.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Ninetales, its design is just gorgeous and I like its typing and Snow Warning. Sandslash, Marowak and Raichu are good, too. I only really dislike Persian, Raticate and Dugtrio, though.

raichu27

I would probably say Alolan Raichu, I really like the Electric/Psychic type combo. I also like Alolan Dugtrio, Alolan Muk(it's got some cool colors.), Alolan Ninetales, and Alolan Marowak.

Last edited:

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
I’m going to go over my opinion on every single line of Alolan formes in one post. Here goes.

Alolan Diglett/Dugtrio: What the hell is this? I get the origin, and therefore I get the typing, but this hair thing just looks stupid. Tangling Hair is a terrible ability, the design doesn’t appeal to me, it’s objectively worse than its Kantonian counterpart and probably my least favourite of the bunch. Diglett and Dugtrio were never favourites of mine anyway but they were always passable for me. These things on the other hand, not so much.

Alolan Exeggutor: Ever since I saw that Pokémon card with a long necked Exeggutor, I wanted it to exist. I know it’s a massive meme but that’s half the reason I enjoy this design. There’s a reddit page that exists to specifically to allow you to upvote your favourite fan created memetic sections of its neck further up the giant neck formed by the posted images. Also Dragon / Grass is intriguing. I’d say I like it slightly more than its Kantonian counterpart. Not my favourite, but welcome.

Alolan Geodude/Graveler/Golem: Now we’re talking. This to me was a really boring line of Pokémon before, but the electric type, honestly clever origin, goofy iron filing facial hair and Golem’s bloody rail gun absolutely make this into a line I’m not going to forget for a while. Definitely a success. Possibly the most improved design. Still not my favourite.

Alolan Grimer/Muk: I’d say this is a pretty notable improvement too. Less so design this time (I mean, it’s a bit more interesting) but more on actual gameplay. Poison Dark is a lot more workable and interesting than pure Poison. So I’d say this gets a pass from me too. Definitely better than Dugtrio.

Alolan Marowak: Another very welcome edition. Take Marowak, a concept I already like, give it a really interesting typing and new spin on the original concept and bam, you get a really appealing design with considerable competitive viability too. Still not the best improvement since I liked Marowak anyway but definitely a big step up from what it used to be. My 3rd favourite of the bunch.

Alolan Meowth/Persian: Say what you will about these but they’re honestly my favourite. Meowth-A looks like a smug muppet with its iconic shrugging pose, and I love the character it has as a result. Dark typing is fitting for a selfish arrogant cat. Persian’s fat head makes sense as a visual pun (big headed), is true to the cat it is based on (a British blue, being my favourite variety of domestic cat), and a feature I honestly find adorable, not ugly like most others. Massive fan of this one.

Alolan Raichu: Raichu was never different enough from Pikachu for me, but now it is. I love how it surfs, literally looks like an edible snack, has the psychic typing and has a gorgeous shiny. Another big improvement that definitely gets a pass from me.

Alolan Rattata/Raticate: These capture the rat like design a lot better than the originals in my opinion. Perhaps the dark typing and how fat they are is why. I don’t have much else to say other than I think they’re an improvement. Passable.

Alolan Sandshrew/Sandslash: Okay so first of all the igloo design is really adorable. The latter looks a bit too much like Sonic for my liking but I think it’s a perfectly fine and reasonably creative design in isolation (this is literally the last thing I would expect them to do with Sandslash) and I would give it a definite pass along with its prevolution.

Alolan Vulpix/Nintetales: Extremely adorable and majestic Pokémon respectively. The latter is my second favourite fairy type and my second favourite ice type to date. That’s quite an accomplishment, and it is also a massive change of pace compared to the original, which was already impressive. They somehow made the transition from fire to ice work extremely well. It’s also the best user of Aurora Veil and that’s definitely a good thing, the ice type needed a massive buff to hail this generation and it got two (the other being slush rush) which is really welcome. My second favourite Alolan Formes of the bunch.

To summarise, here is my order from favourite to least favourite:

Meowth/Persian
Vulpix/Ninetales
Marowak
Geodude/Graveler/Golem
Exeggutor
Raichu
Sandshrew/Sandslash
Grimer/Muk
Rattata/Raticate
Diglett/Dugtrio

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My favorite would probably be Alolan Muk. I love the oil spill design, it's very creative for what's essentially just a blob of muck, and Poison/Dark is a very useful type combination

My most favorites would be Alolan Vulpix and Alolan Ninetales, really love the typings and design

Also Alolan Meowth and the Alolan Persian, they look so adorable, and love their typing too

Archedra

Fossil Pokemon Trainer
I actually really like Alolan Rattata! I have a soft spot for the little guy, and seeing the new color palette and details got me really excited for Sun!
Other than that, I also adore Alolan Muk and Marowak.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I love them so much! I loved this concept idea.

To be honest, the only one I didn't like was Diglett/Dugtrio, they felt lazy to me, and I was hoping they were Ground/Fire.

My only wish is that they maybe helped them differientate a little bit more. Like Alola Muk for example. Love the design, and Poison/Dark is amazing, but maybe they could have altered its stats a little but more so it isn't just an outright better/Muk with Dark type.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedJirachi said:
My favorite would probably be Alolan Muk. I love the oil spill design, it's very creative for what's essentially just a blob of muck, and Poison/Dark is a very useful type combination

Alolan Betbeton (Muk) does look pretty spiffy with that iridescent color pattern, although I wasn't a big fan of the Dark-type addition. I wish it had been some other type combination like Poison/Psychic.