• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favourite Sinnoh Gym Leader?

Who is your favourite Sinnoh Gym Leader?

• Roark

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Gardenia

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Fantina

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Maylene

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Crasher Wake

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Byron

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Candice

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Volkner

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:
Candice also had a Medicham in the anime, which isn't an Ice type. I guess Gym Leaders don't always have to stick with their type. Or maybe Maylene gave it to her, since they're friends with each other?

I assumed that she had one in the anime because she used her entire D/P roster in that Gym battle episode, so to me it seemed like a case of the writers trying hard to make her anime team the same as her in-game team. Still, that random Fighting-type on her D/P team has always bugged me.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I assumed that she had one in the anime because she used her entire D/P roster in that Gym battle episode, so to me it seemed like a case of the writers trying hard to make her anime team the same as her in-game team. Still, that random Fighting-type on her D/P team has always bugged me.

D/P just had a lot of weird teams in general (Steelix on Flint's team, anyone?) Luckily, they became a bit more sensible in Platinum.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I liked Byron although my opinion of him is based on his anime persona which made him more likable. I think Gardenia is the second-best Sinnoh gym leader based on the anime too.

I feel like he's probably the most underappreciated Gen IV Gym Leader. I liked that he was related to another Shinou Gym Leader though, and he was only the second Steel-type Gym Leader in the franchise when D/P were first released, which made him seem quite special. Another memorable thing about him was his anime counterpart, who was full of energy and kind of insane but in a good way.

DawnLuv

I love al of them but I'd say Roark is my favorite. He has geeky cute boy energy and I love him. Plus the Cranidos line are my favorite rock type pokemon.

I will explain why I love each of the others, though.

Gardenia- Elegant Lady. She was my favorite as a kid because I loved grass types.
Maylene- Cute girl who can kick your ass. She also introduced me to Lucario who, to this day, is my absolute favorite pokemon. A close second just behind Roark.
Crasher Wake- Really fun character and I love that he's a wrestler.
Fantina- Very Flamboyant and also French. Plus she's Purple and I love Purple (Not to mention she's damn tough)
Byron- Idk if it's just me but in the games I always got the impression that he is a calm and brooding tough guy.... His anime portrayal really shocked me but I love it tho He's such a meme (Wish I loved life as much as he loves Bastiodon... and Steel... and Defense... You get my point) I also love that he’s Roark’s dad.
Candice- Love her cheerful persona and character design! Cute schoolgirl with fiery spirit.
Volkner- He's just so done with life and I love that lol

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Umm...design-wise, Volkner is my favourite. But personality-wise, I believe Crasher Wake is my favourite because he is a powerful, cheerful guy. But I believe gym leaders in Sinnoh weren't given much of a personality...?

Apart from Wake and Candice, maybe. Those two probably stand out the most personality-wise out of the whole Sinnoh lot.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Candice is my favorite one because she looks attractive. I thought her Diamond and Pearl team was god awful but her Platinum team fixed that.

A lot of the Gym Leaders and Elite 4 in DP had weird teams. Who remembers when Volkner had an Octillery and Ambipom, and when Flint had a Steelix? :rolleyes:o_O

Nebbygetinthebag

Volkner and Candice are my favorites, Volkner because his personality is cool and I like his interaction with Flint and Candice cause her cheerful personality and a great design.

A lot of the Gym Leaders and Elite 4 in DP had weird teams. Who remembers when Volkner had an Octillery and Ambipom, and when Flint had a Steelix? :rolleyes:o_O
Yeah it was weird but then again they weren't that many electric and fire type in the DP dex, so it would be repetitive of them having same pokemon species in their team like Glacia thankfully Platinum fixed that issue.

Last edited:

Shinruna

Rose of Fire
Gardenia...! I enjoy how she looks a bit messed up yet joyful all of the time and, in addition to that, her gyms' schematics both in Pearl and Platinum are amazing: you have this entertaining prairie on the former, which may make you think about a labyrinth, while on the second there's this huge clock whose aesthetics are as beautiful as a flower (indeed). Also, her apparent fear of ghosts is rather interesting.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Also, her apparent fear of ghosts is rather interesting.

It's also interesting how she says she fears the possibility of a Grass/Ghost-type Pokémon... and in subsequent generations, Pumpkaboo, Phantump, Decidueye and Dhelmise were introduced.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I think my favorites would probably be Gardenia, Byron, & Candice because of their personalities in the anime, though Maylene would be an honorable mention since she was the hardest gym leader for me in the games & I loved how the dub brought Rachel Lillis back to voice her

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Maylene would be an honorable mention since she was the hardest gym leader for me in the games & I loved how the dub brought Rachel Lillis back to voice her

Maylene wasn't too hard for me when I played Platinum, but that was probably just because I had Staravia (or maybe it was Staraptor at that point, I don't remember) and Infernape for Lucario.