• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Favourite Tales of Game??

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Vesperia is the one where combat never clicked for me, but that’s because they slow drip combat skills and make abilities more costly than they should be.

Xillia with the link arts and pair up is probably my favorite system

Xillia was too complicated for me, when using active systems like in Tales games I'm just barely above button-mashing skill, which is why I prefer the older, simpler systems. I know I'd have a much easier time with the game if I could properly understand and execute the combat, but just never could.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I actually like Star Ocean a bit more in that regard, as it’s about breaking equipment to fight rather than the fight itself

The Mega Champion

Well with only 3 left for me to find/get... those being Abyss 3DS and the 2 Xillia games... I can already tell they are going to be a barrel of fun to find. :rolleyes:

NPC

sleep researcher
I still need to play Vesperia and Abyss. For now, Symphonia would be my favorite.

MrJechgo

• I... ended up playing 4 times through Dawn of the World. Don't ask me why, I guess I just got hooked by the new characters and their chemistry.
  • Graces was a fun game, especially when I somehow cranked up the CC number to 30+, all by fusing cruystals over and over and over to some ridiculous levels XD
  • I actually love both Xillia games. The series tried a few things, such as 2 protagonists in Xillia 1 (Milla being best girl) and loads of branching paths in Xillia 2. Also, both have the best skits :p

The Mega Champion

View the 'what game are you currently playing' topic for my full thoughts/rant/discussion/whatever the hell you want to call it.

However... Tales of Zestiria wasn't as bad as most claim that it is. I recommend it. Just don't go in trying to compare it to Tales of Berseria and you'll like it.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
However... Tales of Zestiria wasn't as bad as most claim that it is. I recommend it. Just don't go in trying to compare it to Tales of Berseria and you'll like it.
The camera gets stuck in battles.

The party is more arbitrarily locked to one or two human characters. You can't ever have 3 party members when you clearly have like 5 total, but only Sorey can request the aid of another Seraph party member while the rest watches from the sidelines. Players deal with this issue a third of the game.

The story likes to put Alisha through the ringer, extending to gameplay as well. In fact, the story literally gets rid of her because she taxes Sorey's strength. In comparison, someone as strange as Rose laughs at the established rules (she can't ever be corrupted despite the fact she's a freaking cold-blooded assassin which she touts as a "noble assassin") and very easily excels at where Alisha failed. Oh, and the party likes Rose more than Alisha. Even Lailah agrees!

Also, the fact no one sees the Seraphs only makes them feel like living props from the peanut gallery unable to interact with other people outside of themselves. And if they do interact with others? Chances are those people are dying. (Imagine the relief people got in Tales of Asteria where Graces' Pascal immediately created a tool that allowed normal people to see them.)

Even if this wasn't compared to Berseria, Zestiria is disgusting by itself.

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

Apologies for the necro-post I guess.

So I've been play Tales of Vesperia (Definitive Edition for PS4) for about 50 hours now...

My opinion on it is pretty much the exact opposite of the mainstream opinion of it. Practically normal for me at this point. Most praise and like this game and some even have this as their favorite of the series.

Me? Not so much.

First of all... it takes way to long for the story to actually get good. Don't get me wrong. If you want to do the 'slow build' that's fine. But at least have it progressively get better. For this game, IMO, it just all of a sudden gets better and that's it. For me... the story didn't actually start getting good until around the 20+ hour mark. Which is way too long in my opinion. Still though... once the story gets good... it stays good.

The story is practically the only reason I keep playing this game now at this point.

The battles are too convoluted and difficult. Even regular random battles. In other words... the battle system is **** and it's probably the worst battle system I've come across in this series thus far. Over Limits are dumb. You get hit and ganged up on by enemies way too much (well I certainly did. Most regular random battles have the enemies gang up on the character I use, Yuri, about 80% of the time). You get interrupted constantly and can't use artes. I've had to guard way too much in this game, the most in any game in the series thus far. Attacks are inconsistent and don't hit at all. Which makes no god damn sense. You can't take advantage of the situation when enemies are 'knocked down' or 'stunned' unless they are flying enemies or are 'standing.' Yes I've tried everything. Not even left-stick down attacks hit. I've had to sit there and guard and/or wait for them to recover and get up before I could continue attacking. That's utterly ridiculous. This didn't happen in Berseria or Zestiria. The skill system doesn't make any god damn sense either. I learn everything I can but I never have the god damn skill points or whatever to equip anything and I don't know which ones I should have and equip and which ones should just be ignored so I just equip ones I think sound or seem good. Yep. Great system I swear (it's not)

It got so ridiculous that I had to actually grind in the game for 2+ hours which I utterly LOATH doing and also didn't have to do in either Berseria or Zestiria. I also ended up being FORCED to turn the difficulty down to Easy because I just got sick of the BS crap. Yeah. That's ridiculous. I'll admit things are better now and it helped. But it's just the fact that I had to do that at all.

Also... the trophies in this game are BS. ALL OF THEM. Not just one or two or three or four but practically ALL OF THEM. Especially the Secret Mission ones. Those are practically impossible ridiculous BS. So I was once again FORCED to abandon trophies in general in this game. I haven't gotten a trophy in it now for over a week. Once again ridiculous.

So yeah. The only reason I keep playing now is the story. Well that and Repede because he's best doggo.

I'm not saying this can't and won't change but considering I'm practically at mid-game and potentially near endgame at this point... I doubt it will. So I'm about 80% sure this is going to end up being my least favorite and worst Tales of game I've played in the series thus far. It's very unfortunate and I'm extremely disappointed after hearing so much praise about it. But I'm also not surprised either. I VASTLY overestimated how much I would like this one.

So yeah. Sorry for the rant I guess. TL;DR... I don't like Vesperia.

please let Graces f, Xillia and Abyss 3DS be better

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Apologies for the necro-post I guess.

So I've been play Tales of Vesperia (Definitive Edition for PS4) for about 50 hours now...

My opinion on it is pretty much the exact opposite of the mainstream opinion of it. Practically normal for me at this point. Most praise and like this game and some even have this as their favorite of the series.

Me? Not so much.

First of all... it takes way to long for the story to actually get good. Don't get me wrong. If you want to do the 'slow build' that's fine. But at least have it progressively get better. For this game, IMO, it just all of a sudden gets better and that's it. For me... the story didn't actually start getting good until around the 20+ hour mark. Which is way too long in my opinion. Still though... once the story gets good... it stays good.

The story is practically the only reason I keep playing this game now at this point.

The battles are too convoluted and difficult. Even regular random battles. In other words... the battle system is **** and it's probably the worst battle system I've come across in this series thus far. Over Limits are dumb. You get hit and ganged up on by enemies way too much (well I certainly did. Most regular random battles have the enemies gang up on the character I use, Yuri, about 80% of the time). You get interrupted constantly and can't use artes. I've had to guard way too much in this game, the most in any game in the series thus far. Attacks are inconsistent and don't hit at all. Which makes no god damn sense. You can't take advantage of the situation when enemies are 'knocked down' or 'stunned' unless they are flying enemies or are 'standing.' Yes I've tried everything. Not even left-stick down attacks hit. I've had to sit there and guard and/or wait for them to recover and get up before I could continue attacking. That's utterly ridiculous. This didn't happen in Berseria or Zestiria. The skill system doesn't make any god damn sense either. I learn everything I can but I never have the god damn skill points or whatever to equip anything and I don't know which ones I should have and equip and which ones should just be ignored so I just equip ones I think sound or seem good. Yep. Great system I swear (it's not)

It got so ridiculous that I had to actually grind in the game for 2+ hours which I utterly LOATH doing and also didn't have to do in either Berseria or Zestiria. I also ended up being FORCED to turn the difficulty down to Easy because I just got sick of the BS crap. Yeah. That's ridiculous. I'll admit things are better now and it helped. But it's just the fact that I had to do that at all.

Also... the trophies in this game are BS. ALL OF THEM. Not just one or two or three or four but practically ALL OF THEM. Especially the Secret Mission ones. Those are practically impossible ridiculous BS. So I was once again FORCED to abandon trophies in general in this game. I haven't gotten a trophy in it now for over a week. Once again ridiculous.

So yeah. The only reason I keep playing now is the story. Well that and Repede because he's best doggo.

I'm not saying this can't and won't change but considering I'm practically at mid-game and potentially near endgame at this point... I doubt it will. So I'm about 80% sure this is going to end up being my least favorite and worst Tales of game I've played in the series thus far. It's very unfortunate and I'm extremely disappointed after hearing so much praise about it. But I'm also not surprised either. I VASTLY overestimated how much I would like this one.

So yeah. Sorry for the rant I guess. TL;DR... I don't like Vesperia.

please let Graces f, Xillia and Abyss 3DS be better

Graces F really changes up the battle system, they do away with TP entirely which took some getting used to, but I enjoyed the game. Abyss was released before Vesperia, if you've played Symphonia then the battle system is kind of a mix between Symphonia and Vesperia. As for story, takes a while to get good in my opinion, but that's pretty typical of Tales games. I have nothing good to say about Xillia but a lot of people like it.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I think I'd rank the ones I've played:
Vesperia
Symphonia
Berseria
Graces (f)
Zestiria
Legendia
Xillia
Phantasia
Xillia 2
Dawn of the New World

Really, though, they're more in tiers. I feel like Vesperia is my clear favorite (albeit, it's been a while since I've played it; I bought the remaster, which I need to get around to), and Symphonia to Legendia are all games I really like, so there isn't much difference between them. Xillia is really up-and-down for me, since I like some parts and hate others, and Phantasia is low more on account of its age. Xillia 2 is similar to Xillia, except the dumb parts are even dumber, and Dawn of the New World is similar (except its combat is also bogged down for stupid reasons).

I'm actually just starting a 2nd playthrough of Zestiria, which I haven't touched since it came out, having just watched the anime adaption. Really ****ing bizarre adaption, btw -- do not recommend unless you like flashy fight sequences with little substance, and thought the games really needed a lot more Alisha and Mikleo.

[long post]
Your opinions are weird. Are Zestiria, Berseria, and Vesperia the only ones you've played? That kind of explains it, but also not really?

Even though I like Vesperia a lot, I do kinda wonder if there isn't some fanboy sentiment behind its reputation, with it being a bought-out XBOX 360 exclusive -- I know it's 90% of the reason I even own that system (worth it!), and it seems like segments of video game fanbases really try to hold up exclusive games. I remember being on the fence about buying a Vita, and it really sounded like Persona 4 Golden could walk on water (probably the most overrated game I've ever played. It's still really good, so to still be overrated just shows how insanely overhyped it was by its fanbase).
Graces F really changes up the battle system, they do away with TP entirely which took some getting used to, but I enjoyed the game. Abyss was released before Vesperia, if you've played Symphonia then the battle system is kind of a mix between Symphonia and Vesperia. As for story, takes a while to get good in my opinion, but that's pretty typical of Tales games. I have nothing good to say about Xillia but a lot of people like it.
I like both battle systems, but I think I prefer the TP-based ones... although it seems that's gone to the wayside, now. Xillia actually might be my favorite combat system overall, but yeah, the game on the whole is dragged down by Milla being, like, the worst character ever, and the whole plot revolves around her. Plus it's basically a deconstruction of your typical Tales plot, which is kind of weird to play through.

The Mega Champion

Your opinions are weird. Are Zestiria, Berseria, and Vesperia the only ones you've played? That kind of explains it, but also not really?

Even though I like Vesperia a lot, I do kinda wonder if there isn't some fanboy sentiment behind its reputation, with it being a bought-out XBOX 360 exclusive -- I know it's 90% of the reason I even own that system (worth it!), and it seems like segments of video game fanbases really try to hold up exclusive games. I remember being on the fence about buying a Vita, and it really sounded like Persona 4 Golden could walk on water (probably the most overrated game I've ever played. It's still really good, so to still be overrated just shows how insanely overhyped it was by its fanbase).

No I've played Symphonia and the sequel everyone hated (again except for me) as well. It was my very first Tales of exposure and then I stopped playing the series for whatever stupid reason. This was more than over a decade ago though. I'll be replaying both though as I bought the Chronicles PS3 version.

My main problem is that the battle system in Vesperia is just bad and you can't really take advantage of downed or stunned enemies and have to just sit there and guard constantly and wait for them to recover before continue attacking. This has been my experience though only clearly. I've tried everything at this point as well and the game practically FORCED me to switch to Easy difficulty just so I would stop struggling so much with the battles and enemies ganging up on the character I mainly control and being interrupted from attacks and artes constantly. Over Limits are just stupid and attaching the Mystic Artes to them just make it worse.

But again clearly just me and my experience and just clearly me being **** at the game I guess. I'm practically near the end of mid-game and things haven't improved for me with the battles. So they won't be ever for the rest of the game and it's practically ruined my experience with the game. The only reason I even keep playing is because the story is really good right now and I really like it.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
My hot take is Dawn of the New World's combat isn't bad, just really boring. Which I guess is bad in it's own way.

Even on the hardest difficulty it's super easy to stunlock an enemy and just hit them until they die.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
No I've played Symphonia and the sequel everyone hated (again except for me) as well. It was my very first Tales of exposure and then I stopped playing the series for whatever stupid reason. This was more than over a decade ago though. I'll be replaying both though as I bought the Chronicles PS3 version.

My main problem is that the battle system in Vesperia is just bad and you can't really take advantage of downed or stunned enemies and have to just sit there and guard constantly and wait for them to recover before continue attacking. This has been my experience though only clearly. I've tried everything at this point as well and the game practically FORCED me to switch to Easy difficulty just so I would stop struggling so much with the battles and enemies ganging up on the character I mainly control and being interrupted from attacks and artes constantly. Over Limits are just stupid and attaching the Mystic Artes to them just make it worse.

But again clearly just me and my experience and just clearly me being **** at the game I guess. I'm practically near the end of mid-game and things haven't improved for me with the battles. So they won't be ever for the rest of the game and it's practically ruined my experience with the game. The only reason I even keep playing is because the story is really good right now and I really like it.
I do feel like the older TP-based systems like Vesperia ARE slower, where you do want to keep your guard up and wait for the right timing to counterattack out of that with standard attacks, which I can see as an adjustment if you're used to playing the more dynamic Graces/Zestiria type systems where you don't have to manage TP long term so can attack more indiscriminately. But the original Symphonia is very much similar to Vesperia in this regard, so idk. I do remember being able to string some very long combos together just with Yuri, but that's probably more towards the endgame when you can get a bunch of combo plus skills (iirc... it really has been a while).
My hot take is Dawn of the New World's combat isn't bad, just really boring. Which I guess is bad in it's own way.

Even on the hardest difficulty it's super easy to stunlock an enemy and just hit them until they die.
I actually do agree with this -- I remember being tickled that you could free run in it, and the stunlock makes the combat methodical, which I do like. I said it was bogged down more due to the fact that the old Symphonia cast aren't really characters, so you have only two real characters to choose from, and need to use monsters if you want to customize your party or get to high levels. I mean, who thought that was ever a good idea?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

I do feel like the older TP-based systems like Vesperia ARE slower, where you do want to keep your guard up and wait for the right timing to counterattack out of that with standard attacks, which I can see as an adjustment if you're used to playing the more dynamic Graces/Zestiria type systems where you don't have to manage TP long term so can attack more indiscriminately. But the original Symphonia is very much similar to Vesperia in this regard, so idk. I do remember being able to string some very long combos together just with Yuri, but that's probably more towards the endgame when you can get a bunch of combo plus skills (iirc... it really has been a while).

I actually do agree with this -- I remember being tickled that you could free run in it, and the stunlock makes the combat methodical, which I do like. I said it was bogged down more due to the fact that the old Symphonia cast aren't really characters, so you have only two real characters to choose from, and need to use monsters if you want to customize your party or get to high levels. I mean, who thought that was ever a good idea?

I think Vesperia, as the sort of culmination of the classic Tales battle system, really requires you to master that battle system to be good. So if you're not too great at fighting games or the Tales battle system it kind of blows. I played through all of Vesperia on Easy for that reason, I've never been assed to figure out the nuances of any of the battle systems.

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

Well I finished Vesperia Monday night. My opinion on it is basically the same. See the 'game you are currently playing' thread for full final thoughts.

I'll be taking a very long and probably much needed and deserved break/hiatus from this franchise now. At least until I get to all of the old PS3 games of this franchise I bought. Which will start with the one game that I actually played. But it's been well over a decade since I've done so. Tales of Symphonia Chronicles.