• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fear Factor Phony! (423)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I expected a huge Ghost versus Psychic showdown, but all we got was TR garbage...

I would've liked seeing more conflict between the pokemon here myself, tho I did enjoy how Jessie and James turned into ghosts during their motto at least hee hee. ^^

Leonhart

Imagineer
The town of Psychic-types seemed like a reference to Yamabuki City, and when Musashi's Soonansu gained a crush on that wild Kiruria, I was thinking that Soonansu was going to leave the Rocket-dan here, which would've been an interesting twist.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I remember the day this premiered on Cartoon Network and how I thought this would be a terrible episode, but it wasn't too bad for a first try. May's new voice did sound like her old 4Kids dub voice, which I thought was great. Max sounded a little more annoying, but Brock sounded better.

Alloutℯ

Banned
The giant Haunter was confusing. I couldn't tell if it was saying Ghost or Gastly. TR's voices took some getting used to, but I really enjoyed Meowth's reaction to Jesse's suggestion he battle the Haunter.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
and when Musashi's Soonansu gained a crush on that wild Kiruria, I was thinking that Soonansu was going to leave the Rocket-dan here, which would've been an interesting twist.

I didn't even consider the possibility that Jessie and Wobbuffet might separate here honestly cuz Wobbuffet liking Kirlia seemed like it was done for laughs and I didn't expect it to last. I'm glad that Wobbuffet didn't stay behind tho.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In retrospect, since Ghost-type Pokemon were prominently featured in this episode, I think it could've easily been set in Shion Town. Since we never did see the whole locale during OS, seeing it here would've been a nice bonus.

Zamin

This was a really heartwarming episode and had some really nice moments. This partially made up for the terrible new voice actors, why oh why did they all have to change? I know it is being dubbed by a different company but couldn't they have kept the actors as the new ones sound horrible.

Ash: This is just completely horrendous, not the Ash I grew up hearing and loving. It just sounds like a phony, maybe the episode title is true in more ways than one.

Brock: Again, this is atrocious, his voice has completely changed.

May: This is not even remotely similar, what have they done? At the start of the episode it was hard keeping up with the speech when you couldn't see the characters as the voices are all so different.

Max: This is really not his voice.

Jessie: Her new voice is completely horrendous. I miss the old Jessie, she sounded more psychotic and *****y and it suited the character more.

James: Just no, I miss the old one

Meowth: Oh my god, this was just completely horrendous.

So, all in all, not a bad episode but the new voice actors are horrible, now I have to put up with all these new ones for the next 12 seasons!

Leonhart

Imagineer
This partially made up for the terrible new voice actors, why oh why did they all have to change? I know it is being dubbed by a different company but couldn't they have kept the actors as the new ones sound horrible.

If I remember correctly, TPCi (named PUSA at the time) wanted to hire new, less expensive voice actors for their dub, which is why practically all of the 4Kids voice actors were let go. I'm just surprised that PUSA chose this filler episode to make the transition. It just wasn't particularly eventful.

Daizy

I call you honey
Heh we've never seen Wobbuffet fall in love before. The Wobbuffet and Kirlia scenes were funny and the town looked old fashioned and I thought it might've been Lavender Town.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Heh we've never seen Wobbuffet fall in love before. The Wobbuffet and Kirlia scenes were funny and the town looked old fashioned and I thought it might've been Lavender Town.

This episode didn't take place in Shion Town. The setting of the episode was merely an anime-exclusive location, although I can understand the confusion given all the Ghost-types present here.

Denko Sekka

Are you refering to the Pokemopolis episode from Season 1? That episode aired in 1998, this episode aired around late 2005, there was an almost decade gap between episodes, what's the problem?

That's like asking why they make a spooky mansion episode in every saga, or why we have two ping pong episodes, or why the writer repeat any other old story plots over again. Different kids watch different gens.

Well sure but I meant why did we get such a watered down version of a great episode when we could've gotten less filler-like and original and actually decent. AG had good filler ideas so it sucks how this one was a complete miss.

RetroPokeFan

Rewatching a bunch of random episodes because I'm Mr. Bored and Mr. Bored needs something to past the time so he can be un-bored and thus back to being Mr. Happy again.

Pretty forgettable start to the Battle Frontier series (ghost Pokemon vs ghost Pokemon? Oh joy!) and it's clear that the newer (or at least newer back in 2006 because well, they're not so new nowadays) VA's needed quite some time to adjust to their roles with how rough sounding some of the characters are.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Rewatching a bunch of random episodes because I'm Mr. Bored and Mr. Bored needs something to past the time so he can be un-bored and thus back to being Mr. Happy again.

Pretty forgettable start to the Battle Frontier series (ghost Pokemon vs ghost Pokemon? Oh joy!) and it's clear that the newer (or at least newer back in 2006 because well, they're not so new nowadays) VA's needed quite some time to adjust to their roles with how rough sounding some of the characters are.
Michele Knotz and James Carter still clearly need to work on that as they sound even worse now than they did back then and make the dub unwatchable for me.

RODGER PARSONS IS BACK!!!!!!!
mrw rodger parsons is back
Review of the new voices:
TRio sounds fine, this is the one I grew up with
The main cast sounds a bit soleless. You can see some traces of Natochenny in Ash, but she tries too much to emulate VT. Brock and Max sound okay. May sounds like Misty.
The episode was boring until Wobbuffet fell in love with Kirlia. I SHIP IT!!!!!! I love how Wobbuffet betrayed Team Rocket to save Kirlia and the Psychic Pokémon as they were his family.
Also grade A KISS reference

Last edited: