• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fear Factor Phony! (423)

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was good. The intro theme was ok, but the Advanced Battle theme was better. Call me crazy, but Ash, May, Max, Brock, Meowth, and Jessie still sound the same JUST a little. Can't say the same for James. Glad to see that Pikachu and Wobbuffet still have the same voice since others like Seviper and Cacnea have different ones ESPECIALLY Abra. Kinda stinks that there's no TC. It was funny when Wobbuffet ran out on its own, saw Kirlia, and had its heart cam out of its mouth as well as Wobbuffet busting open the cage with its head and the psychic pokemon trampling it. Also, Wobbuffet actually was awesome in this episode.

Last edited:

Bassman456

Rioru Lucario Fan
Overal I give the dub a 8/10 They still need to work one the voices and James really sounds like he had somekind of a cold

Jonouchi

Chibi-cario
I didn't catch most of this episode, so I can't say fully on how I liked it.

The voices were MUCH better right now. The only one I had a problem with was James. It just didn't seem right to me.

Other than that, they were pretty decent. I think I can survive with these.

Cartoonami

To know the unkown
Here we are, at season 9. The only voice I didn't like was Meowth's, as it sounds way too much like Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Weevil Underwood. And don't worry about the other voices. They were a little rough here, but I pray they get better with time. I watched the show with my 15 year old female cousin, who does not care for Pokemon. But that availible house had cable. Oh well, I'll be tuned in for 'Sweet Baby James'.;355;

rubyrulez

Beginning Trainer
I really enjoyed it. The voices were OK, but I'll get used to it.

I never saw the Japanese version of the episode, so I can't really tell if the music was kept, but it was still enjoyable. Horray for the original music when the episode title is read :D

8/10.

CHeSHiRe-CaT

A Curious Breed
I thought Max, Jessie, James, and Meowth were more developed than they had been before. I still feel uneasy with Ash, May sounds like an alto, and Brock isn't quite there yet.

The writers seem like they're slacking off a bit to me; I didn't feel what I usually did when I watched the older episodes; that feeling of familiarity, depth, etc. It just felt sort of out of place, I think. The Abra thing was sad, and sort of left me a little sensitive about it, because even afterward when it used Safeguard to keep the sound in, I was like, "Well, what if it keeps having nightmares about those mining people?" XD But heh, it's just an anime, so yaw... I just wish these writers had a better sense of humor and had a way of weaving the words into the scene without making it sound out of place, like I said before.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Glad to see that Pikachu and Wobbuffet still have the same voice since others like Seviper and Cacnea have different ones ESPECIALLY Abra
I couldn't hear a difference in Seviper and Cacnea. Then again, I don't watch the English anime much anymore...and Abra's voice sounded exactly like its JP one to me, if my memory's serving me correctly. The voice of the Haunter-like ghost at the beginning(and end) sounded the same as the JP version too, IIRC.

So they replaced whatever they were dancing to in the original with a instrument-only version of the Dance of the Bellossom(or whatever it's called). The music in general was good, although my memory's rusty so I don't know if they kept the original music or not.

Jessie sounds vaguely like a valley girl(probably the higher pitch), James is still snobby, Meowth was okay, I still can't tell the difference between New!Max and Old!Max, May sounds much better, and Ash sounds somewhat less generic.

As for my opinion on the ep itself, you can find it he...bwah? This must have been before I started doing weekly summaries of doom. Oh well. (that reminds me, I STILL have to do the one for the second most recent ep...) And yes, Wobba's awesome in both versions. :D

Cartoonami

To know the unkown
Horray for the original music when the episode title is read :D

8/10.

It was?! That's cool to know. Did you fans also know that Pokemon is now a three-act show, as opposed to two primary acts? And there was no real eye catch this time.

DragonSage

Dragon Type Trainer
The episode was good. The only issue I have with it is Meowth and James's voices. Meowth does sound a lot like Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Weevil Underwood, Cartoonami and James.....well.....he sounds like he's a bit too snobby. It will take me a while to get used to the voice changes though.

Plus I liked how they did Reflect with Kirlia. That was some neat computer animation there. ^_^

Last edited:
-Though half it's usual length, the new opening was good. The ending was the first Mirage Pokémon special opening, and I've never minded it. Too bad the stupid Fridays gang spoiled it.:(

-Original score...for the...f'ing WIN(especially that remix of one of the battle themes. 'Twas very kakkoii)! But they did slip in some dub music...I think. Was the Bellossom Dance score original? But I love that BGM anyway, nya.

-I didn't mind any of the voices this time around. Surprised that the giant manga Haunter got to keep its 'GHOOOSTOO~' voice(that was revealed in the preview). Same with Abra, whose voice also didn't get changed.:eek:

-Aw...Wobbuffet's in love.<3 How sweet that he risked his loyalty to TR to set Kirlia free...

Overall, I thought this was a great start for the new dub and season: 8/10. Keep it up, Nintendo!

Ampris

Slip slidin'
This was really a nice episode, very sad and cute. I felt sorry for both sides of pokemon; the Ghosts had their home invaded, taken away, and excavated, and then when the good-for-nothing humans couldn't use the mine anymore, they ditched the Psychics who had helped them.

That Abra was one sad little fox-thing, it was left heartbroken and nobody cared. It's no wonder the Psychics trampled poor Wobby after he helped them, they were distrustful or something. And the Wobbufet and Kirlia thing was definitely sweet, even if it left my favorite Wobb-ship floundering helplessly before all but dying in the next episode. Bah, this is a good start for the season, anyway.

Better than that stupid watermelon ep I had to watch five stinking times last year.

And as for the voices....

Ash's voice quality was about the same as before; there wasn't anything wrong like sounding too high-pitched or too Richie, so the only problem here is that it's different. Though it'll definitely take getting used to.:(

Brock, and I wasn't expecting this, but his voice was literally miles better that that MMOMP prevert-growl, and at times he sounded so much like Eric stuart that it was uncanny. There were still nasally moments that could use work, but overall it was fine. Good job, NewBrock.

James voice, sadly, fails. But...it does sound slightly less like Barney now, so I guess it could get more tolerable. Probably not fast enough for the next episode, though. D:

Jessie...gah, her voice was hard to place. The first lines were dead on, it could have been Lillis, but after that it went from being normal to being horribly screechy to Valley Girl and back again, but mostly screechy. Ehhh, there were lines that sounded good, and lines I couldn't stand, but it just didn't sound right overall. (And I'll admit I'm kinda biased, but this voice in particular was important to me.)

Max apparently assumed the role of Richie when people complained about Ash's voice>>

Granted, it *is* a younger Richie, but it's still bad.

May sounded SO much better than the apathetic thirty-something from before, and there's not much to complain about here. Maybe a little low-pitched at points, but it's mostly alright.

Meowth just didn't fit. The voice wasn't too awful, but the accent sounded very forced and unnatural and that killed it for me.

Wobbuffet...shouldn't really be mentioned here, but didn't it seem like Kazie Rogers was having an off-day or something? I dunno, maybe it was just me.

Last edited:

Akane

I think this was a pretty good episode. I really like the new voices, they sure improved from the special. They did fine. ^^

I loved how Ash and co. helped the Psyhic Pokemon and Team Rocket helped the Ghost Pokemon. It was great. Yeah it was sad when Abra was dreaming about his family leaving him and his other friends. :( But it was cute that Wobbuffet got a crush. XD

But anyway this episode is great! What a great start from the team of PUSA.

I was happy when they kept the original music of the title card. That was a shock to me! I was like...YAY! They kept the music in! And the background music sounded like the Japanese version too in some scenes.

ok i just saw the dub that was also the 1st time PUSA was in charge and i gotta say that i'm very happy with the way they handled it, cause they kept all the BGM intact, even the title screen music! horay for PUSA! and to those who hate the new voices rest assured that the good BGM should be enough to make up for it