• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Features from Let's Go you'd like to see return in Gen 8?

DSDark

Breeder
I disagree with having a box available to the player at all times. It would make the game too easy and ruins any sense of strategy in that moment. Isn't it better to realize what Pokemon your opponent has and try to overcome the type disadvantage with a strategy?

I agree, however you could just not use it.

I found the box most useful when trying to evolve pokemon for the dex. It was so nice to not have to leave cerulean cave, go to the pc change my team, go back evolve a pokemon and then repeat over and over again. Being able to just switch pokemon in and out on the fly was so nice. Maybe in pokemon 2019 they lock the box during e4 and once you go into a gym.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
If mobile PC is gonna become a normal thing, might as well just get rid of the team of six too.

Maybe cap your possible Pokemon to use 6, but but might as well use what ever you want in the middle of battle.

In all serioiserio though, please out the PC back in PokeCenter. There was a nice convenience sure, but ultimately it just feels like it breaks the strategy.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
If mobile PC is gonna become a normal thing, might as well just get rid of the team of six too.

Maybe cap your possible Pokemon to use 6, but but might as well use what ever you want in the middle of battle.

In all serioiserio though, please out the PC back in PokeCenter. There was a nice convenience sure, but ultimately it just feels like it breaks the strategy.
Or have it be optional. Let people choose which path they want to take.

I hope that the graphics stay the same in the new games.

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
I agree, however you could just not use it.

I found the box most useful when trying to evolve pokemon for the dex. It was so nice to not have to leave cerulean cave, go to the pc change my team, go back evolve a pokemon and then repeat over and over again. Being able to just switch pokemon in and out on the fly was so nice. Maybe in pokemon 2019 they lock the box during e4 and once you go into a gym.

I think having access to the Pokemon Box at all times is the Pokemon equivalent of fast travel. For so many the eternal argument revolves around two stances:

1) Fast travel essentially ruins the experience of the game by allowing you to not have to account for certain aspects of your journey. It has to be removed, because gamers experience the game as it is made, and having it available means it will be used.

2) Fast travel is entirely optional! If you do not wish to use it, then do not. Problem solved, everyone wins.

Obviously, not a direct correlation, but I see those two basic arguments being present here. I am sympathetic to both positions personally. I use fast travel in games that have it all the time, but, when playing BotW or Skyrim for instance, I mostly forego using it, because I am after a certain kind of experience.

For me the solution is a no brainer... just make the box something you have to unlock. I like the idea for getting it after the E4, so you have to experience your journey with a bit of challenge, but after that, there should be some event or some task (locking it behind a big monetary wall does NOT appeal to me at all), just make us earn it, and then we can have box access consistently. Given how technology in the Pokemon games has evolved (sorry) with the times, it makes sense that this could be treated like some new discovery that you now have access too.

Since they just threw it into these last games without much adieu, I have a feeling that it will just be a constant feature now, which is far from a deal breaker, but I think it does take away slightly from the original experience, ESPECIALLY if they bring back battling Pokemon to weaken them before capture. If we are just going to use Go mechanics for capturing, I do not even see why it matters.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I'd like to see the concept of Secret Techniques to be expanded upon and become more like Field Abilities for every Pokemon that looks like it can use them, not just the starters (and Sea Skim and Sky Dash look incredibly unnatural when used by Pikachu/Eevee) and include the abilities to smash rocks, scale rocky walls, waterfalls, cross whirlpools, and dive. Maybe even combine them with following/riding Pokemon.
Other than that, Madame Celadon was helpful because there was no breeding in LGPE, but since it is probably a given the Generation VIII games will feature breeding, I don't care if she returns. Even in Generation III (in the Hoenn games, at least) you could attract Pokemon of certain natures with Pokeblocks, albeit only in the Safari Zone, shame it didn't return for the Great Marsh (with Poffins instead of Pokeblocks).

Orphalesion

For me the solution is a no brainer... just make the box something you have to unlock. I like the idea for getting it after the E4,

Getting access to feature after the main portion of the game is concluded is extraordinarily useless. It's like locking the difficulty setting behind finishing the game.

Imho it's simply, nobody is forced to use a feature and "I can't help using it if it's available" is not a good argument in my opinion.

I suppose now that I've mentioned difficulty settings, a mobile box could be tied to the difficulty setting? Normal Mode activates it, Hard Mode locks it.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
So here's something that Let's go did that I want. And they kinda did it in USUM.

Make us battle and beat (and in USUM's case battle a powered up version of) legendaries before you can capture them.

It just makes more sense when you think about these legendary powerful creatures, that they would want to test us and have us prove ourselves before they allow for us to capture them.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
So here's something that Let's go did that I want. And they kinda did it in USUM.

Make us battle and beat (and in USUM's case battle a powered up version of) legendaries before you can capture them.

It just makes more sense when you think about these legendary powerful creatures, that they would want to test us and have us prove ourselves before they allow for us to capture them.
Though they have to be reasonable with the buffs as almost all ways I have heard of people beating Ultra Necrozma pretty boils down to abusing the AI or the old “use Toxic and stall until they expire from Toxic damage”. Steel and Poison-types are not safe thanks to Corrosion (and Focus Sash) being a thing.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Getting access to feature after the main portion of the game is concluded is extraordinarily useless. It's like locking the difficulty setting behind finishing the game.

Imho it's simply, nobody is forced to use a feature and "I can't help using it if it's available" is not a good argument in my opinion.

I suppose now that I've mentioned difficulty settings, a mobile box could be tied to the difficulty setting? Normal Mode activates it, Hard Mode locks it.

Some people hate grinding, so they should add the option to manually adjust options. Luckily it wouldn't be required to use so you can grind the normal way if you want.

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer

I respect that opinion, but I think it is only an issue for people who are swapping out their team Pokemon so frequently leading up to the E4 that not having access to your box 24/7 would be a major detriment. I can't speak for everyone obviously, but most fans I've ever spoken to know the team they want well before the game even launches, and are just hunting those Pokemon down. Someone made a comment about how having constant box access made completing the dex really easy, and that was the biggest draw of the feature to me, in the post-game when I was finishing off my checklist ha ha. So, if that holds true for most players (and I don't see why it is a poor assumption) then it seems to me that having it unlocked post E4 would be perfect.

Also, I did make the argument you said, but I meant it in service to a greater point, namely at what point do QoL improvements start to remove any sense of accomplishment. Pokemon is already a game woefully scarce where challenge is concerned, and it would be nice if that improved, but I do not need it to become a Dark Souls impersonator. I always enjoyed team building to fight my friends and just experiencing the world and whatever story was enough. The exploration element of Pokemon was always so critical and with the welcome changes to HMs and other traversal improvements, I think GF would just be wise to ask themselves: "how do we retain the joy of exploring and catching Pokemon"? I think having limitation is critical to that, because where you used to be isolated with whoever was in your team at the moment, the ability to now grab whatever you need - even just rotate bodies endlessly like some kind of coach with an infinite roster lol - kind of impoverishes the experience.

Like I said before though, I do not see it changing, just gave my two cents. I really like that idea of locking it behind a difficulty mode.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Though they have to be reasonable with the buffs as almost all ways I have heard of people beating Ultra Necrozma pretty boils down to abusing the AI or the old “use Toxic and stall until they expire from Toxic damage”. Steel and Poison-types are not safe thanks to Corrosion (and Focus Sash) being a thing.

Yeah they need to make sure there is the right balance.

I also think it be interesting if they made it so it's not just a matter of beating them to open the chance to capture, but doing it under certain conditions.

Like for instance Zekrom may want to challenge you to beating it with an electric type before it will allow itself to be captured.

Or Regigigas wants to battle with the other Regi's, so your team needs to be just the three of them.

Then once you've beaten them under thier conditions you can return to capture them, or try right away.

M.P.

Retired
Pokemon appearing in the overworld is the only feature Let's Go introduced I'd like to return. Wild Pokemon could still appear in tall grass as well, though.