• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Features you want/Don't want returning

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that kinda sucked with the character customization was how Gen 7 added some stuff, then took some stuff away. I can understand that because Alola is a tropical region, that it wouldn't really be practical (unless you are in certain parts of Ula Ula) to have heavier clothing, but for the sake of style I still wanted an option to wear coats and pants that go past your ankles. That was one reason I didn't spend a lot of money on clothing, as unlike Kalos, a lot of the options didn't appeal to me quite as much.

Also, can we get some more hairstyles for the men? I've seen people mention the afro and mohawk, but what about straight hair? And dreadlocks!

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Celebi was released during the 10th anniversary event, but that's neither here or there.

Kind of my point. Celebi was released then, but not in Europe where I live, it was only in US, Taiwan, and Japan. If you don't live in one of those countries you simply don't get Celebi. It's unfair but that's the way it is. Here in the Netherlands we didn't get Celebi until the 2014 Bank distribution.

Kalosian

So long
I more or less posted this in another thread, but now that we do have an actual thread dedicated to what we want and don't want in the games, I'll repost here and expand on my thoughts a bit.

I should say that most of those are hopes, not expectations. Even if I'm looking forward to US/UM, I'm going to have low expectations on them since I don't want to be disappointed. S/M were sort of a disappointment for me in some areas even if I had rather low expectations on them. But I still liked them. Anyway...

First of all, two major things:

- Better training spots. My biggest issue with S/M and it really needs to be addressed. Pokemon just isn't as fun if there aren't any good training spots. The training spots in S/M doesn't even get close to the epicness of Gen 5/6 when they could and should. This alone would make US/UM more fun than their predecessors.
- Bring back the National Dex in the actual games. This is my second biggest issue with S/M, I have always liked completing the National Dex in the games (except in HG/SS, but that's for another discussion) and I really miss it in S/M. It exists as a part of Bank but that's really not the same thing. I want it back in the games as well, there's no reason it can exist both in the games and on Bank.

Those are my biggest wants. Next up are things that are more on a minor level but I still want to see, in no particular order.

- Move Tutors. Very likely since they have been skipped in all first pairs but appeared in all third versions (except Yellow), sequels and remakes.
- New features. All previous third versions and sequels have had this in some kind of form, so I'm expecting it to happen.
- Most if not all features from S/M returning, hopefully some will be improved upon as well.
- More content in general. Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and B2/W2 had more to do than their first pairs, I'm hoping US/UM will follow in their footsteps. They don't need to live up to the epic levels of say, B2/W2 or Platinum, but having more content than X/Y, OR/AS and S/M would be very welcome.
- New Z-moves. Since they are the new toy of this generation and they are quite cool and useful, I would like to see more of them. What I kind of want are special Z-moves that are tied to the move rather than a specific Pokemon so that more Pokemon can use special Z-moves... which would make them less special, but I don't really mind that.
- New Alola Forms. Another great concept, but it feels like they were just beta testing them in S/M to see how the fandom would react. More of them is welcome since I felt like there weren't enough of them in S/M. I also hope they won't be limited to just Kanto Pokemon this time around. Though I'm actually okay with if they would give more Alola Forms to Kanto Pokemon as long as they aren't limited to only Kanto Pokemon once more.
- Changed story. I'm not sure how much they will do, I wouldn't think too highly of the "alternate world" they have advertised it as so far. I'm expecting Emerald/Platinum-level changes at the lowest and be happy if they decide to go above that.
- New characters. Something previous third versions have had (again, not Yellow) so that's something I expect here as well. Also changes to old characters and maybe new roles to some of them as well.
- Regional Dex expansion/revamp. Platinum and B2/W2 both had dex expansions, so why not one for US/UM too? This might also fix the problem S/M had with some Pokemon being way too common and appearing almost everywhere, as well as addressing the Johto syndrome S/M suffered from - making several Alola Pokemon more common in their own region would be a good change.
- Changed wild Pokemon distribution. Kind of goes hand in hand with the above. All previous third versions and sequels have done this, so yeah.
- New Battle Facilities. I'm expecting them to keep the Battle Tree as the "standard" facility (maybe they'll expand on the rooster of "special" trainers as well as change some opposing Pokemon movesets) and that there will be something more to accompany it. Crystal introduced the very first Battle Tower ever, Emerald and Platinum had Battle Frontiers while B2/W2 had the PWT and Black Tower/White Treehollow. I'm definitely expecting something from US/UM here. Maybe they'll expand on/do something more with the Battle Royal Dome as well.
- A bigger post-game in terms of areas to explore. Something like what we had in FRLG/DPP/BW/B2W2 would be great. I doubt it will happen though, considering how Alola is constructed and designed. There doesn't seem to be a lot of areas they can expand on or add to the region, and adding new islands doesn't make a whole lot of sense in terms of lore and world-building.
- New Mega Evolutions. While I don't think this will happen, I certainly want it to. But yeah, very unlikely. I'll keep dreaming until it happens, hopefully before the X/Y remakes.
- Finally, something that's not completely related to the games. I expect there to be an animated trailer for the games. There was one for B2/W2 and then one for OR/AS. Both of them were the second (and last) game pairs of their generation. US/UM are the second game pair of their generation, so I think they will get one too.
- Lastly, a very minor and unnecessary thing, but I want them to rename the Hau'oli Marina to the Pri-Marina. It is an excellent opportunity for a Pokepun and they shouldn't let it pass by.

- Pokemon following the trainer like in HG/SS. I know most others will disagree with me about this since a large chunk of the fandom practically worships this feature. I didn't like it though. In fact, it is my least favorite feature in the entire series. I could write a very long post about everything I didn't like about it, but I'll skip that since I don't think anyone cares. Just some short thoughts instead. About it making me feel closer to my Pokemon, no. It does not. We already have Pokemon Refresh and it does that a thousand times better than this crap. Nostalgia? I don't care much for nostalgia (a bittersweet lesson learned by playing HG/SS) and I really don't want them to shove in more nostalgia appeal than they already do. I'd take fun and good gameplay over nostalgia any day. Being forced to have a Pokemon following me all the time does nothing good in terms of gameplay. In HG/SS, it just felt so pointless and annoying, not to mention it suffered from a downright awful execution and slowed down the games quite a bit. So yeah, this is the number one thing I absolutely don't want to see in these games, and my biggest worry until it has been confirmed whether it returns or not. That said, I'll be fine with it if it is optional, but even so, I'd much rather see them focus on something that's actually useful and contributes to the games rather than just being a completely useless as well as vastly overhyped and overrated garbage gimmick. Reading through this thread, I'm very happy that I'm not the only one who doesn't want this feature to come back. Everyone else who doesn't want this back, you rock!
- Two regions. Basically, another region alongside Alola. I thought this was really poorly done regarding Kanto in the Johto games so I really don't want to see them do something similar again since it seems like they have no idea how to do it and do it well. I can work if they actually put some effort into it, but I don't think they will so I don't want to see it at all. Besides, it wouldn't make any sense to go back to any of the older regions from Alola since they are all so far away from it.
- Non-linearity or "open world". I strongly dislike the idea of an open world Pokemon game. Once again, if we use Kanto in the Johto games as an example to see how it could be, it was really poorly executed since there was no story, level curve, balance or challenge to speak of whatsoever. I don't think Game Freak knows how to properly make a game like that so they shouldn't. Then I'm personally not a huge fan of games that are too open world either.
- Fan pandering to fans of Kanto and Gen 1. They have already given too much of the spotlight to Kanto in both X/Y and S/M, they should let it lay low for a while now. I feel like I have had enough Kanto pandering and references for many years forward at this moment. Besides, the 20th anniversary is over so they have no reason to continue with it. I'd rather see them give the spotlight to Alola. Or if they now need to pander to any older region, anything but Kanto is fine with me. Giving all the old regions an equal amount of attention would be okay too.
That was what I could think of right now, might post more later... but I don't think so.

Evanibble

Things I would like to see:

-Pokemon following you again
-National Dex. I completed the Alola Dex and didn't really know what else to do after that. I'd like to have the satisfaction of actually catching them all!
-Alola forms, but maybe not restricted to just Kanto.
-Maybe new mega forms?
-More post-game features, maybe battle frontier?
-I'd be fine with more trials, actually. Maybe give Mina a fairy trial?
-Better victory road.

Can't think of anything that I wouldn't want to see. I was pretty satisfied with most of SM's features, and I thought the trials were pretty cool.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
- Two regions. Basically, another region alongside Alola. I thought this was really poorly done regarding Kanto in the Johto games so I really don't want to see them do something similar again since it seems like they have no idea how to do it and do it well. I can work if they actually put some effort into it, but I don't think they will so I don't want to see it at all. Besides, it wouldn't make any sense to go back to any of the older regions from Alola since they are all so far away from it.
- Non-linearity or "open world". I strongly dislike the idea of an open world Pokemon game. Once again, if we use Kanto in the Johto games as an example to see how it could be, it was really poorly executed since there was no story, level curve, balance or challenge to speak of whatsoever. I don't think Game Freak knows how to properly make a game like that so they shouldn't. Then I'm personally not a huge fan of games that are too open world either.

Not to be unfair or unduly target you above others, but I found your lists interesting and just wanted to briefly comment on these two points. While I understand your reservations and your reasons for having them, I think we need to give GF a little credit if they choose to pursue these. HGSS were only remakes, and even then they're 7 year old DS games at that; and to boot, they're based on games that are now 17 years old and almost couldn't even fit the second region on in their physical memory because a relatively static world that huge just wasn't common on GBC technology. I don't expect to sere either of these things, but I would welcome them and encourage everyone to be cautious rather than excluding the possibility.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
every proposed idea sucks unless it's implemented well in which case it was a necessary innovation, unless you believe the opposite

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I don't want to see only being able to fish in specific spots again. I miss being able to fish where ever I wanted to :(.

xEryChan

Demon Child

I agree with you completely. I thought the idea of being to travel two regions was a really great idea but it was executed very poorly. I felt they did it very poorly and if they were to bring it back, it would be done very poorly. If they can find a way to bring it back and actually make it enjoyable than I'd be all for it but I have very little faith in Game Freak already as it is.

Forgot to mention this in my first post but there are a couple more things I'm going to add.

First is the DexNav. I just loved that it showed us what Pokemon were in the area. Plus, I loved that they showed when all Pokemon in that area were captured. Plus, I loved Trainer Eye. I loved being able to rematch trainers that I already battled, it definitely made training for the Pokemon League a lot easier. That was definitely my favorite feature from ORAS and I would be so happy if I came back.

The second is better training spots. I don't have too many complaints about the Sun & Moon games as it is but, honestly, one of them was the horrible training spots. Part of the reason why I loved the 5th Gen games was it was so easy to level up my Pokemon. I always felt I was underleveled and it took long time level up my Pokemon just to be on par with all the nearby trainers. Part of the reason why I want the DexNav back is for Trainer Eye so we can rematch trainers. I definitely hope they make it easier to train in USUM so grinding doesn't take forever.

Those are really the only things I want to see come back for now. If I think of any more, I'll edit this post and add them.

Kalosian

So long
-Better victory road.
I agree with this. The Victory Road in S/M was the most lackluster one in the series since the Johto games, and I thought it was quite a big disappointment after the great Victory Roads we got in Gen 5 & 6. Making it larger and adding actual trainers besides your rivals would help a lot in making it better.

Not to be unfair or unduly target you above others, but I found your lists interesting and just wanted to briefly comment on these two points. While I understand your reservations and your reasons for having them, I think we need to give GF a little credit if they choose to pursue these. HGSS were only remakes, and even then they're 7 year old DS games at that; and to boot, they're based on games that are now 17 years old and almost couldn't even fit the second region on in their physical memory because a relatively static world that huge just wasn't common on GBC technology. I don't expect to sere either of these things, but I would welcome them and encourage everyone to be cautious rather than excluding the possibility.
There's nothing unfair about doing that, forums are meant for discussion after all. I can understand why you want me to be catious but it is not only because of how they failed with these things in the past, but also due to personal preference as well. I'd like to see them do things and do them really well, but I think there are other features and things that have more potential and are better suited for that compared to 2 regions or a non-linear game.

First is the DexNav. I just loved that it showed us what Pokemon were in the area. Plus, I loved that they showed when all Pokemon in that area were captured. Plus, I loved Trainer Eye. I loved being able to rematch trainers that I already battled, it definitely made training for the Pokemon League a lot easier. That was definitely my favorite feature from ORAS and I would be so happy if I came back.
I would also like to see the DexNav come back. It is one of my favorite OR/AS features too and I definitely prefered it over the SOS chaining mechanics in S/M.

JLK2707

Yeah, after all there's just no point having no trainers for your character player to compete against.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
The one thing that I would really like for US/UM is a randomized system for your challengers' Pokemon when defending your title. Just use the same method as they use for the battle tree but with full teams. I got tired pretty quick with defending my title to the same teams. Also, I think it would be cool if you lost to someone when defending your title, you'd have to go through the elite four again and at the end you have to defeat the trainer that beat you to reclaim your title. Give out awards for consecutive title defenses and such.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I think everybody would want a Battle Frontier to actually have interesting battles post-League. I'd consider myself lucky if we get a PWT, which I thoroughly enjoyed in B2W2.

As for what else, DexNav was awesome, Friend Safari was useful, And something that lets you rebattle trainers on the fly with improved teams, regular and gymleaders/trialcaptains/kahuna's.

Maybe more diversity in the PokéScan-feature?

As for what I could do without?

More Mega's, they're a tired concept at this point. And more PC-customizing, I find it not important quite honestly, but I get that people want their own touches here and there, but I just don't find it necessary to enjoy the game at all - I get that from selecting pokémon, not clothes.

JLK2707

I want more alola forms and more mega evolutions. I would also like to have 8 gyms like the previous regions. I would also just like to see extra islands, but then that would mean extra tapu Pokemon, and I think that is quite unlikely given they've already shown all the Pokemon which will appear in this generation. But I would like to see a better victory road as well. What do you think?

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
For Victory Road, a better VR would be great. At the very least, I want to see an actual map header for it. I want to know for sure we're in Victory Road, not pretend that Vast Poni Canyon is one.

Also, for customization, as I'm playing as female trainer, I want to see the midriff halter from X/Y making it into Alola. I'm puzzled why it was not available in Alola, considering the tropical region setting. And add more variations, X/Y only had two different midriff halters.

Color is also an important part of customization, and I want to see dye shop having colors that match the available clothing that GF gave to us. Compare the red from the S/M female PC hat, with the red from the dye shop. None matched. It's either too soft, too bright, or too dark.
And we should have just one dye shop for all colors. With less berries needed, please. Having to get 18 Maranga Berries just for dyeing is stupid, considering the rarity of that berry and the time it takes to grow that berry.

And hair. All hairstyle should be able to wear any hat and any hair accessory. I can wear a hat along with a twintails in X/Y, why I can't do the same in S/M?
Also, more colors for hair. I'd like to see a regular Brown (also, remove that weird-looking Pink Brown while we're on it) and Orange.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I'm kinda surprised those midriff halter tops were even a thing; they were kinda revealing. If they eliminated them because of this I don't blame them. And I also sort of understand why those certain hairstyles couldn't allow for hats to also be worn. The twintails are a bit high, and the romantic tuck would sort of be hidden under the hat. Especially with beach hats.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
battle tree. they should remove it and bring in something else that makes it more fun

I agree cuz the facility didn't turn out as great as I had anticipated, so I hope Ultra Sun/Moon get something new similar to the PWT perhaps. I would've said something like a new BF, tho I don't expect Gamefreak to ever give us a Battle Frontier again. :[

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Things to ditch:
-Festival Plaza
-Fishing Spots
-Shiny Locks in general
-Island Scan
-SOS exclusive Pokemon
-Battle Tree

Things that need to return:
-PSS
-Regular fishing
-Friend Safari(Or some adaptation of it)
-Legendary spots(Like in ORAS)
-National Dex
-New Mega Evolutions
-PWT

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Well I'd honestly think that the National Dex upgrade should return for USUM. Limiting the dex in SM to Pokémon found in Alola was underwhelming especially for a shallow postgame. I'd be very thrilled if the Battle Frontier/PWT returns too (wider battling options). Finally it would be much better if the Razor Claw and the Razor Fang finally became purchasable in-game so that I won't have to keep KOing and catching Jangmo-o's so that I can get a Weavile.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Features I want :
1. More Megas
2. Battle Frontier / PWT
3. DexNav
4. A Hard mode equivalent to BW2
5. PSS
6. National Dex
7. Horde Battles
8. Fishing Anywhere
9. Expanded Victory Road
10. Better Training Spots
11. More convenient route to hatch eggs, like Lumiose City
12. Gym Leader / Kahuna Rematches, or stronger trainers in general post game
13. Ways to get HA starters like Friend Safari
14. Soaring

Things I don't want:
1. Battle Tree
2. Festival Plaza
3. SOS battles
4. Island Scan
5. Shiny Locks
6. Limited Fishing Spots
7. RotomDex telling you where to go

Last edited:

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Features I want :
1. More Megas
2. Battle Frontier / PWT
3. DexNav
4. A Hard mode equivalent to BW2
5. PSS
6. National Dex
7. Horde Battles
8. Fishing Anywhere
9. Expanded Victory Road
10. Better Training Spots
11. More convenient route to hatch eggs, like Lumiose City
12. Gym Leader / Kahuna Rematches, or stronger trainers in general post game
13. Ways to get HA starters like Friend Safari
14. Soaring

Things I don't want:
1. Battle Tree
2. Festival Plaza
3. SOS battles
4. Island Scan
5. Shiny Locks
6. Limited Fishing Spots
7. RotomDex telling you where to go

You pretty much nailed my list too except for the Battle Tree not returning. I don't mind it returning as long as they change it so that regular battles are easier for early BP farming (like the Maison was) and they bring back Triples and Rotation battles.

I'd also like to see better filters on the GTS. Scrolling through a bunch of different Pokemon, I saw the exact same player had put up obvious hacks (lv100 shiny, Pokemon without names, events, etc) asking for impossible Pokemon (ie male versions of female exclusive Pokemon and vice versa, asking for genderless Pokemon with genders and that sort of thing). I'd rather these not appear in my game at all as they just clog up the GTS when I'm looking for proper trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.