• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Features you want/Don't want returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I'd just add a shop to Tapu Village and sell winter clothes there, in-universe for traversing the snow mountain.

Okay, yeah that would be pretty cool. :D

But overall, if anything needs to be fixed about the customization feature, those fixes are 1. Stop spitting in the face of the male characters and 2. Let us purchase and wear jewelry. And maybe expand the hairstyles option more.

Still hoping that Gen 8 is a colder region so that we can have more winter-themed customization options.

ItsMeBrandon

Let's see, what do I want from Ultra Sun and Moon...

Pokémon following you - This is definitely something I enjoyed back in HG/SS. It's not just for nostalgia's sake (I mean, HG/SS isn't really nostalgic to me anyway)- it makes the world feel a bit more real, and I feel more attached to my Pokémon that way.
Whether it can happen or not on the 3DS is something else- it might or might not make the 3DS chug. I'm sure the Switch can take it and I'd definitely like this mechanic on the Pokémon Switch game, whatever that is, but it might be possible on the 3DS given the data dump we saw months ago.

Move tutors - I've only been in the metagame for a few several months, but yeah, move tutors make a lot of sense. It'd open up a lot for Gen 7's metagame.
Frankly, the Battle Tree area looks like there could be so much more added to it anyway.

Touch screen mechanics from Gen 4/Gen 6 - At first I thought the RotomDex was a bit lame for the touch screen, but I realized how to access the map and Dex from it eventually. It's still not super intuitive, though, and I enjoyed using (some of) the apps from the Pokétch, as well as all the touch screen features from Gen 6 (DexNav, anyone?) Any amount of this would be great for me.

More varied Pokémon - Masuda-san technically touched on this in the Direct, and this might be a given, but I'd like the kinds of Pokémon we can find in Alola to be expanded upon, à la B2W2 (slightly different case, but you get what I mean). Possibly make some Pokémon a little easier to get, but I won't complain if they don't.

Keep the player's emotionless expression - I have a feeling Game Freak sees the player as outside the story looking in, as opposed to some players seeing their character get as involved in the story as any other character. These are 2 philosophies I see in game design a fair amount, and I personally prefer the former. Plus, I find it much more entertaining to see the player with their apathetic face than for them to get engaged in the story. Letting your character have a different face in some situations (such as starting a battle) would be fine with me, though.

Keep the nursery - This is kind of a given, but a must if it isn't. It's very useful for competitive breeding, in my experience. I don't know why they'd do away with it.

Possibly expand upon the inclusion of certain characters? - Remember when we saw Colress on Akala Island, or Grimsley on Ula'Ula Island? It was cool to see them back, but they did nothing except show up in the Battle Tree past that- I was okay with this, but it'd be nice to see these characters get a little more interaction in the main story. This is an "alternate take," after all, so maybe they (and/or other characters) could play a slightly bigger role.

New battle animations? - I had the idea that completely new animations for Pokémon in battle when they were at low health would be awesome and show some more personality of each Pokémon, but that's another 800+ animations to be done. I'd like it, but I won't count on it.
Also, for some reason I got a little disappointed to see no Trainer animation during Mega Evolution this Gen. I assume because Megas basically got relegated to competitive battling so no one would care, but I always liked seeing the animation in Gen 6. This isn't really needed, but I'd like to see it.

As for things I don't want to see...

Version-exclusive clothing - I was at least lucky to get Moon, since I like wearing cool colors over warm colors. Still, I feel like this mechanic wasn't done that well. Either make it easier, or just do away with it. More clothes would be cool, but I'd like this to be dealt with first.

Lillie's character not being constantly shoved down my throat - Look, I like Lillie's character enough, but I felt like the game was constantly shouting at me to love her character, when I just didn't care that much for her. Especially near the end, Lillie's personality felt a bit forced to the point it kind of hurt. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd like them to change what happens with Lillie so that maybe people like me can enjoy her more- I'd be down for her being a Trainer in these sequels from the very beginning.

Defending your title - I didn't like this at first. It felt wrong to not have an actual Champion to challenge despite battling Prof. Kukui at the end.
I came to like this idea more when I saw that other characters challenge you (that Youngster? Seriously?), but I still prefer things as they were done in previous generations.

Some things I'm not sure of...

Gyms/Trials? - Some people want Gyms back, others want Trials to stay. I'd like both if we can somehow do that, but if it has to be one or the other, I'm not sure.
If Trials came back but were totally revamped, and we got a new Trial, I'd be happy with them. Otherwise, I'd be happy seeing Gyms come back- it'd make sense given those empty spaces in Alola.

Festival Plaza? - I don't know what it is about the Plaza, but I hear from a lot of people that don't really like it.
Personally, I like the Plaza as it is, but I can see some improvements they should make- for one, I think it'd be smart if you were able to just upgrade shops instead of hope the next shop you can get is just a better version. Whatever they can do to make the Plaza better, I'll be down with.

Last edited:

.Aerodactyl.

I actually like th championship title defense thing. Makes way more sense :), plus I you're grinding I'm the league it adds a little variety at the end.

I thought of another thing I want to see...

More secret gift Mon and eggs. I don't want like, twenty, but I do miss exploring in Gen 1 and all of a sudden finding an Eevee, which you couldn't get anywhere else! Or Lapras. It felt rewarding to have that cool Pokémon that you could totally pass by if you weren't looking. I also love getting that gift egg every game :). I love hatching that baby, especially when they make it a new Pokémon with like, three different possibilities so it's luck of the draw. Makes replaying the game more varied.

One thing I don't want to return though, is the bloated post credit scene XD. I actually LOVED the story and loved finding out all that information, but after besting the champion it took me literally over a half hour to get through all of that so I could save and turn off my game. Heck, even if they just added some save points so I could come back to it would be nice. I liked it, just didn't have the time to sit through it.

MoonSong

Frosty the Ninetales
Wants:
-Walking Pokémon. Who doesn't want it back?

-Move Tutors: But instead of being in the after-game, put them mid-game with the selection of moves available to be taught improving throughout the game. For instance, during the main story, the tutors would teach moves such as the elemental punches at first, then after a certain point has been reached, they teach moves with higher power such as Sludge Wave and Rock Slide. Then after beating the Champion, the tutors teach moves like Gravity and Fake Out, moves that see a lot of competitive use.

-DexNav+PSS+RotomDex: A combination of the three. PSS replaces Plaza and DexNav is a feature of the RotomDex, like an expanded version of Island Scan. For example, you could do the regular Island Scan or you could do a DexNav scan for the same Pokémon that you can SOS.

-Improvements to SOS Battles: Simple enough. Increase call rates for some Pokémon and reduce the call rates for others. Chaining a Magby is horrifically tedious especially since it (and the other babies) will tend to call for help every turn. Change it so they start calling only when affected by the Adrenaline Orb or when at 1 HP.

-Buff to Hail: So far, Hail is the worst weather out of the four (seven if counting the Primal Weathers + Delta Stream). Every other weather has some sort of unique effect to it (Sand boosts Sp. Def of Rocks, buffs Shore Up, Rain makes Thunder/Hurricane perfectly accurate, reduced Moonlight/Morning Sun/Synthesis healing and halves Solar Beam's power; and Sun increases Moonlight/Morning Sun/Synthesis healing, eliminates Solar Beam/Solar Blade charge, buffs Harvest, activates Forecast/Flower Gift, prevents freezing, lowers Thunder/Hurricane's accuracy) but Hail only buffs one move and allows Aurora Veil to be used. Possible buffs: increase defence of Ice-types, half Thunder/Hurricane/Solar Beam/Solar Blade power, and increase the power of Ice-type moves by 50% (1.5x).

-All Megas available. Without distributions. Enough said.

That's it, really.

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
There are some stuff I really want for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. I'll start with the things I want to see return.

Want

Trainer Customization - I definitely really enjoyed playing around with the clothing options in SM. I'm pretty sure it will return in USUM but I want more of a clothing selection for the girl. I was throughly disappointed with her clothing selection and I want more options in USUM.

Bicycle - I honestly loved the bike and I really hope it returns. I love listening to the bike theme while breeding in Pokemon XY and I really hope to do that in USUM.

Ride Pokemon - Who doesn't want this to return? I'm so glad they did away with HM's. It was such a hassle to teach a Pokemon a move just so you could proceed. It was really annoying and ridiculous, especially since most of the time you had the move deleter get rid of the move as soon as a humanly possible. Some HM moves were nice, like surf and fly, but others are just so useless. I, for one, hope this change stays throughout future games.

Defending Your Title - I thought that was awesome from SM and I really hope it makes a comeback in these games.

Fishing - I missed the old fishing method. I got so sick and tired of getting Magikarp's everytime I fished. I really wish they'd bring back the okd ways of fishing.

Not Want

Pokemon Following You - I feel I'm the only one who doesn't want that. I never liked having my Pokemon following me and I don't want that to come back in USUM. If it does come back, I rather it be optional that mandatory. This was one of my least favorite features from HGSS and anyone who knows me knows I really disliked those games and that just added to it.

SOS Battles - I think they should at least add some changes to this. It was ridiculous when it seemed like every single Pokemon was calling for help, especially the baby Pokemon. At least make it so the only way a Pokemon can call for help is to use an Adrenline Orb and the only Pokemon who can call for help are Totems.

Stoutland Search - I'm all for one Ride Pokemon returning but I honestly missed the dowsing machine in these games. I hope they do away with just the Stoutland Search ride.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
There are some stuff I really want for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. I'll start with the things I want to see return.

Want

Trainer Customization - I definitely really enjoyed playing around with the clothing options in SM. I'm pretty sure it will return in USUM but I want more of a clothing selection for the girl. I was throughly disappointed with her clothing selection and I want more options in USUM.

Bicycle - I honestly loved the bike and I really hope it returns. I love listening to the bike theme while breeding in Pokemon XY and I really hope to do that in USUM.

Ride Pokemon - Who doesn't want this to return? I'm so glad they did away with HM's. It was such a hassle to teach a Pokemon a move just so you could proceed. It was really annoying and ridiculous, especially since most of the time you had the move deleter get rid of the move as soon as a humanly possible. Some HM moves were nice, like surf and fly, but others are just so useless. I, for one, hope this change stays throughout future games.

Defending Your Title - I thought that was awesome from SM and I really hope it makes a comeback in these games.

Fishing - I missed the old fishing method. I got so sick and tired of getting Magikarp's everytime I fished. I really wish they'd bring back the okd ways of fishing.

Not Want

Pokemon Following You - I feel I'm the only one who doesn't want that. I never liked having my Pokemon following me and I don't want that to come back in USUM. If it does come back, I rather it be optional that mandatory. This was one of my least favorite features from HGSS and anyone who knows me knows I really disliked those games and that just added to it.

SOS Battles - I think they should at least add some changes to this. It was ridiculous when it seemed like every single Pokemon was calling for help, especially the baby Pokemon. At least make it so the only way a Pokemon can call for help is to use an Adrenline Orb and the only Pokemon who can call for help are Totems.

Stoutland Search - I'm all for one Ride Pokemon returning but I honestly missed the dowsing machine in these games. I hope they do away with just the Stoutland Search ride.

I agree with you about missing the bike and missing the traditional way of fishing. The new way is so bland and boring. I like being able to fish where I want to.

Last edited:

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I'd really like to see a much wider range of hair colours, including more non-natural ones such as blue, pink and green. The wine red, which was more of a purple, was a good start but I'd like to see much more options. If you look at past NPCs a lot of them had non-natural colours so I'd like for us to have that option too. And for them to bring back the ginger colour from XY. Why they took that out when it's a perfectly normal colour is beyond me.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'd really like to see a much wider range of hair colours, including more non-natural ones such as blue, pink and green. The wine red, which was more of a purple, was a good start but I'd like to see much more options. If you look at past NPCs a lot of them had non-natural colours so I'd like for us to have that option too. And for them to bring back the ginger colour from XY. Why they took that out when it's a perfectly normal colour is beyond me.

Yea it would be nice if they had more selection.

I'd hope they'd bring back Friend Safaris from X and Y alongside the regular Safari Zone.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Yea it would be nice if they had more selection.

I'd hope they'd bring back Friend Safaris from X and Y alongside the regular Safari Zone.

I'd like that too plus new hairstyles such as afros and Mohawks. A spikier hairstyle for guys similar to Sora from Kingdom Hearts or regular Goku would be also nice.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.

Want

While I always welcome new additions to the customization feature, I think the guys need a better and more extensive selection more than the girls do. :p I think the girls' options are relatively decent. Then again, if one's character is like my cute little Ayla, you can make all kinds of things work. :D

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
While I always welcome new additions to the customization feature, I think the guys need a better and more extensive selection more than the girls do. :p I think the girls' options are relatively decent. Then again, if one's character is like my cute little Ayla, you can make all kinds of things work. :D

I wouldn't say no to more customization options. But I would like the hairstyles be all available from the start (as well hair colors).

And do we really need walking Pokémon back? It doesn't add much to the gameplay and gets tiring after a while. If it returns (unlikely), I hope it's optional.

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director

I honestly prefered the boy's clothing selection to the girl's but that's just me. Calem barely had much of selection in XY and in SM, Sun had so many better options. I felt Moon's clothing selection was so underwhelming compared to Serena's and they could have done so much better but it was just a missed opportunity. I guess it's because I'm a girl myself and a lot of my friends would describe me as a fashionista.

And do we really need walking Pokémon back? It doesn't add much to the gameplay and gets tiring after a while. If it returns (unlikely), I hope it's optional.

I wouldn't mind it one bit, and I'll get used to it like I would in HGSS.

Though, making it optional would be nice for those that don't like it. And for those that do, I'd personally like to see having the choice of which Pokemon follows me rather than it being only the lead Pokemon in the party.

I'm really starting to become wholly disinterested in the Festival Plaza. I've taken to calling it the Festivus Plaza, because there's so much wrong with it that it's just one grievance after the next. I wish it could've been more like Join Avenue, in which directing visitors to shops levelled up the shop, instead of having to wait for someone to join my Plaza from online who has the shop I want at the rank I need. Which takes FOREVER because almost NO ONE levels up their Plaza enough to have decent shops for sale. Even players with high guest rankings and lots of really good records have one-star noob shops for sale. I can handle the fact that you need to go there to communicate online, tho; it sort of reminds me of the olden days of having to go to the GTS building to trade online.

I think it goes without saying that Move Tutors are 99.99999% guaranteed to make a return, but anything could happen, I suppose. The only thing I wish is that they're not locked behind Battle Tree BP, even tho you know they will be. I am so bad at post-game battle facilities, and the Battle Tree is way more brutal than the Battle Maison was. In the Battle Tree, I can barely make it past the first trainer, only to watch helplessly as the second trainer rips me a new one, while in the Maison, I can easily make it to Chatelaine Nita, and barring any proc hax or poor type matchups, I can usually beat her fairly quickly. If the Battle Tree does return in USUM, make it easier for non-expert trainers to at least clear a regular line. Super lines can be for those elitist no-lifers, who burn hundreds of hours perfectly breeding and EV-training their OU-tier, world championships-level Pokemon (that always seem to be shiny, as well. But that's none of my business... *sips tea*)

As for all this talk about having Pokemon follow you like in Yellow and HGSS, just, why? It's thematically appropriate in HGSS, considering Elm asks you to do it for his research into the emotions of Pokemon, and it's also thematically appropriate in Yellow because it loosely follows the anime's story. Not only do I not see how it could fit into Gen 7's story, I also don't see how it'd function in a fully-3D, non-grid movement system. Don't get me wrong, if they can shoehorn it in to HGSS, I'm sure they'd be able to finnagle it into USUM's movement tech, too. I just don't see it becoming a thing, realistically. (Watch me be absolutely freaking BODIED when I'm inevitably wrong.)

I'm sure I'll have more to add to this post later on, but for now, I'm done.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Things I Want

• Bicycle ~ I miss the bike. I guess the saying you never know what you had till its gone could not be accurate in this case. I really missed the bike feature and I really hope they bring it back.
  • Fishing ~ I miss the old way of fishing. I swear nothing got more annoying than when I was searching for other Pokemon to catch by fishing and all I got was Magikarp. If they keep the new of fishing, just make it so Magikarp doesn't appear in the bubbling water spots.
  • Trainer Customization ~ Do I need to explain? This was something I really looked forward to and it definitely did not disappoint. I don't see why they would not bring it back but still, I hope they keep this feature.
  • Ride Pokemon ~ is there anyone who loved not having to deal with HM's? It was so annoying to teach a Pokemon an HM move that I would delete as soon as I was able to just to proceed. I sure as heck will be more than happy if they bring this feature back. Well, all except for Stoutland Search, that was a bad substitute for the Dowsing Machine, IMO.
  • Poke Pelago ~ I really did enjoy this feature while playing through Moon and I always found myself checking back every single day.

Don't Want

• SOS Battles ~ I swear nothing got more annoying than when I was trying to catch a Pokemon and all it did was keep calling for help. Finally got to the point where I got fed up and just knocked it out. I definitely would not mind if they made it so the only ways SOS Battles can happen is if you use an Adrenaline Orbs. Otherwise, it's just so annoying and unnecessary.
  • Festival Plaza ~ It just honestly seems like such a useless feature to me and I would more than happy if they replace it with the PSS.
  • Pokemon Following Player ~ This has always been on one of my least features from HGSS. I just found it super annoying and pointless. All I wanted to do was find a way to put the Pokemon back in its Pokeball while playing. I've been seeing a lot of people wanting this feature to come back and I feel I'm one of the few who doesn't. But if it comes back, I will be perfectly okay with it being an optional feature so that I don't have to play through the game with a Pokemon following me.
I really hope they move the Move Reminder person so they're not at Mount Lanakila. Why have it at the end of the game when a lot of could use a lot earlier in the game? They could have put them at the Tapu Village and I would have been okay with that but at the place right before you take on the Elite Four seems a bit ridiculous to me.

That's all I can think of now.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't want to fight Tapu Koko when I already went through the league and no shortage of cutscene.

Thank God I got a Timid one (no Synchronize) first try.

04n70n10

I don't want to fight Tapu Koko when I already went through the league and no shortage of cutscene.

Thank God I got a Timid one (no Synchronize) first try.

Well, even if you defeated tapu koko after all the cutscenes, he would reappeared again, so you have another chance.

But i also agree, all have some doubts and fear in that moment.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Well, even if you defeated tapu koko after all the cutscenes, he would reappeared again, so you have another chance.

But i also agree, all have some doubts and fear in that moment.
It's not that so much as it is the set nature and IVs.

I was extremely lucky, but I think I got Naive, not Timid as I stated earlier.

It was close enough.

Deadeye

H(a)unting...
Want:

Following Pokémon again! I know it's useless, I don't even need the whole item pickup thing that HGSS did. I just want the dream of walking with my Pokémon.
That would look pretty cool, but considering there are over 800 Pokemon how would using those 3D models in such way affect the game performance? Would be cute having my starter of choice walk behind me, but I laughed imagining my trainer taking a huge-mon such as Wailmer or Groudon for a walk. :)

Battle Frontier. The post game would be incredible!
Yes plx!

The National Dex.
Another yes! I want to see all Mega evolution entries! :/

Refresh/Amie. I can't get enough...it's honestly made me fill the Dex just to raise them from infancy and pet their little cheeks :')
I'd rather say, I'm gonna throw an outrage if this feature is ever removed. :'D

Safari Zone. Nostalgic and shakes up the catching system, but gone without before and sometimes it's frustrating.
It would be refreshing to have it, I didn't care much about the Kalos safari but the older gen style just becase it was fun trying to catch that one pretty rare bastard which could flee at any moment. Less efficient but more adventurous style.

Seasons. They were just overrated in my opinion. It was frustrating having to time my get to get places because of snow and what not.
Considering the tropical atmosphere of Alola, I don't think seasons would be fitting, but having a changing weather would liven things up a bit!

oarfish said:
Move Tutors
We are perhaps supposed to transfer our "tutored" Pokemon from ORAS but... /want!

One thing worth mentioning I want is that the new Lunala and Solgaleo fused with Necrozma forms wouldn't have the similar idea to "shadow Pokemon". I love how Pokemon furthers the ideas of friendship, compassion, helping those in need and equality between dualities but sometimes I would find it refreshing that not have a story about shadow being purged as 'corrupt' or 'hurt' but sometimes letting the 'mon to adapt into the new, perhaps more powerful form of living - accepting oneself as what they have become? Although I'm not sure if that'll even be relevant regarding to the story in Ultra S/M.
I just want a good story!

I hope mega evolutions have also come to stay.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
That would look pretty cool, but considering there are over 800 Pokemon how would using those 3D models in such way affect the game performance? Would be cute having my starter of choice walk behind me, but I laughed imagining my trainer taking a huge-mon such as Wailmer or Groudon for a walk. :)

The thing is, it doesn't matter how many pokémon there are in the game. All that matters for the performance when it comes to FPS and lag is how much it is actually loading at a time. As long as you only have a single pokémon following you it's just one overworld model it needs to render and load.

Status
Not open for further replies.