• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Feb 23rd: SM15 - Scratchmark Hill, Iwanko and Lugarugan!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Let's be real, All Out Pummelling looks weak af on the shrimpy crabrawler

dman_dustin

I'm going to bring up something I brought up much earlier, as it relates to Ash getting Rockruff.

Until the episode airs and proves me otherwise, I'm sticking with Rockruff is technically a wild Rockruff under Kukui's care, in that Ash will still need to "capture" it with the ball.

Like I said, Kukui comes off more as a caretaker than Rockruff's actual trainer. Like one night Kukui found Rockruff injured and took care of it, and offered Rockruff a place to stay, then Ash suddenly came to Alola region and BOOM here we are.

So I think Kukui would only be the de facto trainer (or guardian) of Rockruff but not the actual trainer that used a ball to capture it.

After all we have yet to see Rockruff's ball, and Rockruff has been out ever since we saw it. Kukui also did not participate with Rockruff in the Alolan Pancake Race unlike Sampson and Komala (though it was with him in the stands watching).

This all leads me to believe that Rockruff is wild and Kukui is merely the caretaker of Rockruff, giving it a home. In other words think of Melanie and Bulbasaur or Clara and Turtwig, or a person or people who take care of any Pokemon including wild Pokemon.

If I'm wrong, the only other thing I can think of is that Rockruff recently hatched under Kukui's care. Because I'm still having hard time believing Kukui actually caught Rockruff with a Poke ball, like say the other characters would.

Hopefully Rockruff's backstory will be revealed in this episode.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Sorry to go back to this subject, but I wanted to put my two cents in on the whole side characters topic.

While side characters usually are there to assist the main protagonist or add to the lore of a world, yes, developing them is necessary.

Think of any other popular anime out there. DBZ, One, Piece, Naruto, Bleach, FMA, Attack on Titan, etc. all have a large cast of supporting characters who, along with doing their jobs of adding to the lore and world building and assisting the main characteres with their goals, have their own dreams and aspirations that are (usually) addressed. Sure, they're not as grandiose as that if the main character or as integral to the plot, but that doesn't mean they're not worth focusing on. And I'm willing to bet that none of those anime would have been as popular as they were if the focus was on the main characters virtually all the time.

Focusing on the side characters adds to world building in a similar way as doing side quests in video games a the viewer can be more invested. If the main character helps out, it adds to their character as well. And I've always found that side characters are a lot easier to relate to because they're often not OP or have one-of-a-kind powewhatevsupee lofty goals or whatever. They're more like us and perhaps have problems more grounded in reality. And having a character that's easy to relate to gets us more invested in the anime.

Of course, I'm speaking more about writing in general rather than the Pokemon anime specifically, but who knows? It could apply.
---
On the subject of Olivia and Lycanroc, they could also just change her ace to Probopass just like how Hall's ace was changed to Hariyama. I think Probopass would be a boring ace personally but it doesn't really matter what I think.

Janovy

Banned
They could also just give Olivia a shiny Lycanroc.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Let's be real, All Out Pummelling looks weak af on the shrimpy crabrawler

This is the anime that makes a tanky Serperior piss-weak to a single not so effective move, and make Garchomp fly with just jumping. They can make a Crabrawler look extremely flashy, and even more so coming from a "gym leader" type.

They could also just give Olivia a shiny Lycanroc.

Other than someone saying "whoa!" at it, this anime constantly devalues Shiny Pokemon.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I'm going to bring up something I brought up much earlier, as it relates to Ash getting Rockruff.

Until the episode airs and proves me otherwise, I'm sticking with Rockruff is technically a wild Rockruff under Kukui's care, in that Ash will still need to "capture" it with the ball.

Like I said, Kukui comes off more as a caretaker than Rockruff's actual trainer. Like one night Kukui found Rockruff injured and took care of it, and offered Rockruff a place to stay, then Ash suddenly came to Alola region and BOOM here we are.

So I think Kukui would only be the de facto trainer (or guardian) of Rockruff but not the actual trainer that used a ball to capture it.

After all we have yet to see Rockruff's ball, and Rockruff has been out ever since we saw it. Kukui also did not participate with Rockruff in the Alolan Pancake Race unlike Sampson and Komala (though it was with him in the stands watching).

This all leads me to believe that Rockruff is wild and Kukui is merely the caretaker of Rockruff, giving it a home. In other words think of Melanie and Bulbasaur or Clara and Turtwig, or a person or people who take care of any Pokemon including wild Pokemon.

If I'm wrong, the only other thing I can think of is that Rockruff recently hatched under Kukui's care. Because I'm still having hard time believing Kukui actually caught Rockruff with a Poke ball, like say the other characters would.

Hopefully Rockruff's backstory will be revealed in this episode.

To be honest, I don't think it matters if Prof. Kukui is Rockruff's official Trainer who has ownership of its Pokéball, if Rockruff is akin to Kukui's pet/companion who happens to battle, or if Rockruff is a technical wild Pokémon living in Kukui's house. All that matters is that Kukui is Rockruff's caretaker and/or guardian, and in that sense, Rockruff "belongs" to Kukui.

But none of this has any affect on Ash getting Rockruff, since even if Rockruff does belong to Kukui, clearly the professor is going to give the puppy to Ash.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Sorry to go back to this subject, but I wanted to put my two cents in on the whole side characters topic.

While side characters usually are there to assist the main protagonist or add to the lore of a world, yes, developing them is necessary.

Think of any other popular anime out there. DBZ, One, Piece, Naruto, Bleach, FMA, Attack on Titan, etc. all have a large cast of supporting characters who, along with doing their jobs of adding to the lore and world building and assisting the main characteres with their goals, have their own dreams and aspirations that are (usually) addressed. Sure, they're not as grandiose as that if the main character or as integral to the plot, but that doesn't mean they're not worth focusing on. And I'm willing to bet that none of those anime would have been as popular as they were if the focus was on the main characters virtually all the time.

Focusing on the side characters adds to world building in a similar way as doing side quests in video games a the viewer can be more invested. If the main character helps out, it adds to their character as well. And I've always found that side characters are a lot easier to relate to because they're often not OP or have one-of-a-kind powewhatevsupee lofty goals or whatever. They're more like us and perhaps have problems more grounded in reality. And having a character that's easy to relate to gets us more invested in the anime.

Of course, I'm speaking more about writing in general rather than the Pokemon anime specifically, but who knows? It could apply.
---
On the subject of Olivia and Lycanroc, they could also just change her ace to Probopass just like how Hall's ace was changed to Hariyama. I think Probopass would be a boring ace personally but it doesn't really matter what I think.

Actually this is true to a certain extent, but regarding the side characters, this isn't true when it comes to the Pokemon Anime.

Actually this is true to a certain extent, but regarding the side characters, this isn't true when it comes to the Pokemon Anime.

Well if it isn't true now, why don't we try and make it true? There's no harm in improving something, after all.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Well if it isn't true now, why don't we try and make it true? There's no harm in improving something, after all.

Well, we aren't the writers of the Pokemon Anime, so we can't change it lol. Plus, if you judge the way the Pokemon Anime is, that actually seems more appropriate.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Well, we aren't the writers of the Pokemon Anime, so we can't change it lol. Plus, if you judge the way the Pokemon Anime is, that actually seems more appropriate.

How is it more appropriate for the main supporting characters not to get development and/or focus? Why should they be shafted or sidelined, just because they aren't the protagonist or deuteragonist?

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I don't see why Ash should get Midday Lycanroc just beasue Olivia has a Midnight Lycanroc in the games.

Midnight Lycanroc is Olivia's ace, and it seems a lot of fans want to see a Midday Lycanroc vs. Midnight Lycanroc battle (which would be pretty cool). Personally, I think Midday Lycanroc suits Ash more than Midnight Lycanroc does--not its appearance, but its description--and that's why I want Rockruff to evolve into Midday Lycanroc (assuming, of course, Rockruff evolves at all).

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
How is it more appropriate for the main supporting characters not to get development and/or focus? Why should they be shafted or sidelined, just because they aren't the protagonist or deuteragonist?

Well, that's why I said, judging from the way the Pokemon Anime is. The protagonist and the dueteragonist get more focus and the others get shafted. Similarly, as you guys are complaining about this, I can also complain about Ash always losing the League, just because they want to shift Ash to the next region. This is another bad aspect of the Pokemon Anime, just like any other character than the protagonist and the dueteragonist get shafted. It's time to move on.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Well, that's why I said, judging from the way the Pokemon Anime is. The protagonist and the dueteragonist get more focus and the others get shafted. Similarly, as you guys are complaining about this, I can also complain about Ash always losing the League, just because they want to shift Ash to the next region. This is another bad aspect of the Pokemon Anime, just like any other character than the protagonist and the dueteragonist get shafted. It's time to move on.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. How does this being the Pokémon anime make it appropriate for characters who aren't the protagonist (Ash) or the deuteragonist (Lillie, it appears so far) to not receive development or focus? That is, why should Pokémon get a pass in this regard?

The protagonist and deuteragonist will inevitably get the most focus, of course--that's only to be expected--but that does not mean the other main characters have to get shafted. And so far, the other main characters in SM have not been completely shafted. Lana, Kiawe, and Sophocles have each gotten a focus episode, and Mallow is about to get a focus episode. Team Rocket got a focus episode. Even Rotomdex is being fleshed out a character, rather than just serving as Floating Exposition. One thing I like about SM is that we are learning more about the supporting characters. These characters are here to support Ash's journey through Alola, so they need to be fleshed out.

dman_dustin

To be honest, I don't think it matters if Prof. Kukui is Rockruff's official Trainer who has ownership of its Pokéball, if Rockruff is akin to Kukui's pet/companion who happens to battle, or if Rockruff is a technical wild Pokémon living in Kukui's house. All that matters is that Kukui is Rockruff's caretaker and/or guardian, and in that sense, Rockruff "belongs" to Kukui.

But none of this has any affect on Ash getting Rockruff, since even if Rockruff does belong to Kukui, clearly the professor is going to give the puppy to Ash.

Not my point.

My point is whether or not Ash actually throws a Poke ball at Rockruff, or rather Kukui gives Rockruff's Poke ball.

Because that will determine Rockruff's story. If Ash catches Rockruff then it would have to be stated that Rockruff was a wild Pokemon being taken care of by Kukui. Like Bulbasaur/Turtwig.

While if Kukui gives Rockruff the Poke ball then truly in that instance Kukui would be gifting Rockruff to Ash like with Dawn's Togekiss or Casey's Beedrill.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Perhaps I should have been more specific. How does this being the Pokémon anime make it appropriate for characters who aren't the protagonist (Ash) or the deuteragonist (Lillie, it appears so far) to not receive development or focus? [/B]That is, why should Pokémon get a pass in this regard?[/B]
Similarly, why should the Pokemon Anime get a pass in regarding making all the main characters fail in reaching their goals(which is reflected by Ash always failing to win the League)? So, this is the way the Pokemon Anime is. So as I said earlier, it's time to move on. The other side characters getting less focus is also a pattern of the show like that.
The protagonist and deuteragonist will inevitably get the most focus, of course--that's only to be expected--but that does not mean the other main characters have to get shafted. And so far, the other main characters in SM have not been completely shafted. Lana, Kiawe, and Sophocles have each gotten a focus episode, and Mallow is about to get a focus episode. Team Rocket got a focus episode. Even Rotomdex is being fleshed out a character, rather than just serving as Floating Exposition. One thing I like about SM is that we are learning more about the supporting characters. These characters are here to support Ash's journey through Alola, so they need to be fleshed out.

The characters other than the protagonist and the deuteragonist get shafted comparatively in this show, and I honestly don't think it will be any different in this saga.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Not my point.

My point is whether or not Ash actually throws a Poke ball at Rockruff, or rather Kukui gives Rockruff's Poke ball.

Because that will determine Rockruff's story. If Ash catches Rockruff then it would have to be stated that Rockruff was a wild Pokemon being taken care of by Kukui. Like Bulbasaur/Turtwig.

While if Kukui gives Rockruff the Poke ball then truly in that instance Kukui would be gifting Rockruff to Ash like with Dawn's Togekiss or Casey's Beedrill.

IMHO, it will mean a little more if Rockruff actually belongs to Prof. Kukui--as in, Kukui has Rockruff's Pokéball--and Kukui is gifting Ash his Rockruff. It would show that Kukui really does believe Ash is the right Trainer to bring out Rockruff's true potential. There's greater potential for an emotional moment there.

Similarly, why should the Pokemon Anime get a pass in regarding making all the main characters fail in reaching their goals(which is reflected by Ash always failing to win the League)? So, this is the way the Pokemon Anime is. So as I said earlier, it's time to move on. The other side characters getting less focus is also a pattern of the show like that.

But that doesn't make it appropriate. That's all I'm trying to say. You said it was appropriate that characters other than the protagonist and deuteragonist get shafted, and I was asking you why you felt it was appropriate. That's different from saying this is the way it has always been.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Ash not winning the League has nothing to do with him shifting to another region. He'll just decline being the Champion like he did with being a Battle Frontier Brain. There's more characters to focus on and develop than just Ash and Lillie and you know it.

Ash not winning the league and characters not getting development are two completely different things. Development is what makes someone enjoy a person's character, and if it is left absent then a character will feel extremely one-noted and boring, and thus development is key in making an outstanding story that people will want to follow every step of. Development is required as a desperate need in a plot, no matter how important the character is. If we look at the anime as it is now, it appears that people can still enjoy the plot and enjoy Ash's character, even when he loses leagues every time. It's not a pivotal point in his personality, it's one of the troubles he has to go through. People can still enjoy a character even if something bad happens to them, but they can't enojoy a character if they have no reason to - and that the main difference.

The characters other than the protagonist and the deuteragonist get shafted comparatively in this show, and I honestly don't think it will be any different in this saga.

But can't we hope they don't get shafted? And it doesn't even look like your prediction is right this time - every major recurring character, with the only exceptions being Kukui and Samson, have gotten their own focus episode that gave them a starting place for their character development.

Status
Not open for further replies.