• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

February 13: XY016 - Dedenne is Pichu and Pichu is Dedenne...!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I wasn't too excited for this episode before and now having seen the preview......... I'm still not excited for this episode. The cute interactions with the Pokémon look fun, though and I'm curious to see how the characters are handled.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
It's kind of funny, some mention that Serena should get more focus but can't stand it when Clemont's Pokemon get screentime and activate their abilities thus Bonnie's should be axed for Serena's sake. No, just get rid of a few of the Ash episodes and things would be more balanced. This is Bonnie's episode and no one else's and I don't see why she should give it up, besides a future episode shows Fennekin hurt and roughed up. I think she's battling the Parfum Princess. Since I can see the Blonde Brigade getting episode focus back-to-back.

Clemont has gotten way more development than he needs in the first 15 episodes though. I like him, but he shouldn't be getting all that screen-time while Serena has only gotten one episode to herself that barely showed any development at all imo. And Ash is the main character, so he shouldn't have to give up his screen-time. I just don't understand why Bonnie - who has no real purpose on the show other than to be funny - should get yet another episode that honestly seems like another filler to me like the Espurr episode. If Dedenne managed to learn a new move or something here then I could understand the need for this episode, but as I don't expect a battle to happen given the circumstances, I can't even see that happening. I'm just tired of fillers in general.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Clemont has gotten way more development than he needs in the first 15 episodes though. I like him, but he shouldn't be getting all that screen-time while Serena has only gotten one episode to herself that barely showed any development at all imo. And Ash is the main character, so he shouldn't have to give up his screen-time. I just don't understand why Bonnie - who has no real purpose on the show other than to be funny - should get yet another episode that honestly seems like another filler to me like the Espurr episode. If Dedenne managed to learn a new move or something here then I could understand the need for this episode, but as I don't expect a battle to happen given the circumstances, I can't even see that happening. I'm just tired of fillers in general.
Clemont learned some strong lessons about being a gym leader, grew to be a braver individual and that's mainly it thus far. Serena in the Rhyhorn episode changed her view upon on Rhyhorn racing a bit, learned to camp out and get over her earlier behavior and that's it. Serena's character development in that Rhyhorn ep feels forced/less-investing because half of it comes at the cost of her personality and has something to do with Ash unfortunately, this problem could have easily been avoided but the writers chose to make her ship fodder at some moments.

Really great CD for Serena would be her getting over Ash, realizing he's dense, learning though she went on the journey for Ash she's grown to love Pokemon and battling, those would be great. But that's not how the writers are writing Serena's character. As for Ash, his character has gotten zero development since AG. Ash's character doesn't change anymore these days, he just becomes a better trainer and it gets erased at times. Ash is a dynamic character who I expect development from, he's just a sport's hero. Improving in skill with no character change.

The writers can easily do something, they just aren't and it really has nothing to do with Clemont. At this point I'm hoping for a rival for her, a Georgia/Iris, Drew/May, Nando/Zoey rivalry would do her a lot of good imo.

As for Bonnie getting an episode, I'm glad, filler doesn't mean bad, something this forum has engraved in its mind. Simply having Bonnie be entertaining, maybe utilize Dedenne in battle and show some more ways to her will be more than enough for this episode. And that's to be expected from a character in her role.

Sephora

yes I'm back
I am actually looking forward to this episode because I really like Bonnie. Even though she recently had a focus in the Espurr episode, I don't mind that this is airing so soon after. At least we will get this out of the way so later on the focus can go towards Serena or Ash (his next gym battle might be soon).
But anyway, this episode seems quite interesting. And I love the COTD's design so that's another positive point. I am liking the designs for the COTDs in general in XY. They are very well drawn/designed.

It's only been 16 episodes for the series, I'm still not yet worried about Serena's future. She's been dire as of late but I think she'll get her chance soon.

I am on the same page as you.

Really great CD for Serena would be her getting over Ash
No

PokeMaster366

No, Serena and Fennekin's amount of screentime, not even 20 episodes into more then 100 episode series, is not a problem. It's an obsession for some, but it's not a problem.

It's only going to be a problem if the writers use Serena's lack of a goal as an excuse to not do any episodes devoted to developing her character. At the very least, she has a 2-dimensional personality, but I don't really see any inherent flaws in her yet. She's a bit too "perfect" for my tastes right now.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
I'd at least like to see Serena interact with Fennekin more like when she was traveling to find Ash. It is a bit odd to give Bonnie more focus when Serena hasn't really got anything besides the Rhyhorn racing. Clemont is DEFINITELY good for a while, take a rest and make some more funny inventions.

Not trying to draw any May comparisons, but even May was more interested in getting to know her Torchic when all she wanted to do was travel.

Also, I hope after this episode things start to pick up. With a combo of the couple breaks we had and slower episodes(although we had a few good ones), that's why it feels a bit odd to place this episode here and not after some Serena focus or the Battle Chateau/Gym battle. Although I totally get why because of the large gap ingame which a handful of users predicted on here

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
As far as the episode goes, it looks fun. It would be cool if a small battle with bonnie and whoever takes place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lorde

She's a bit too "perfect" for my tastes right now.

The fact that she hasn't done much of anything implies the opposite imo, which is an issue as well. She seems to be hanging out with Bonnie a bit in this episode, but as I don't see this an important episode anyway, I can't see Serena doing much here either tbh. Bonnie's Dedenne shouldn't have gotten switched with Pichu, at least not this early in the saga. It just seems like a forced "fun" episode even though we've gotten episodes like that quite recently already.

PokeMaster366

The fact that she hasn't done much of anything implies the opposite imo, which is an issue as well. She seems to be hanging out with Bonnie a bit in this episode, but as I don't see this an important episode anyway, I can't see Serena doing much here either tbh. Bonnie's Dedenne shouldn't have gotten switched with Pichu, at least not this early in the saga. It just seems like a forced "fun" episode even though we've gotten episodes like that quite recently already.

Well, Bonnie's and the COTD's bags did look extremely similar. Maybe they didn't look inside beforehand.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
So this is about Bonnie or did the thread get handed over to Serena yet again? I hope that when the next gym doesn't come that people will over ride the thread with whatever Serena is lacking at the time. As far as the episode goes, it looks fun. It would be cool if a small battle with bonnie and whoever takes place.

No, the gym battle threads have prayer circles in hopes that Pikachu won't be used, and then rage. Serena talk is reserved for every other type of episode.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️

How so, feel free to elaborate. Because having a female character stand around as ship bait for Ash with no agency of her own isn't a curse I'd wish on my worst enemy. Having Serena realize that she went on her journey for Ash, but continues it not just for Ash, but her friends, Pokemon and goal she's finally found would be splendid character development for her and her ultimately getting over Ash since it's obviously not going to lead anywhere would be for the best and a great way to develop her.

KKS-Lapras

It's only going to be a problem if the writers use Serena's lack of a goal as an excuse to not do any episodes devoted to developing her character. At the very least, she has a 2-dimensional personality, but I don't really see any inherent flaws in her yet. She's a bit too "perfect" for my tastes right now.

So calm, collected, caring, a bit shy, and the other features in Serena's personality are 2-dimensional, hmm..., I now know that my own personality could be considered "2-dimensional" in real life. Seriously, not everyone needs to be hyper, overtly confident, constantly outspoken, overly humorous, etc to be "3-dimensional" or interesting.

PokeMaster366

So calm, collected, caring, a bit shy, and the other features in Serena's personality are 2-dimensional, hmm..., I now know that my own personality could be considered "2-dimensional" in real life. Seriously, not everyone needs to be hyper, overtly confident, constantly outspoken, overly humorous, etc to be "3-dimensional" or interesting.

Can you name any decent character off the top of your that hasn't been through at least some degree of internal conflict that isn't resolved simply with the clap of hands or the breaking of bones? It's one thing for a character to have quirks, but when a character isn't at least struggling with an inherent flaw within them when a conflict revolving around them arises, it's hard to buy the idea that their conflict, both external and internal, is real. I'm still holding out for that Serena focus episode, but as things stand right now, I don't see a reason to get that invested in her character.

KKS-Lapras

Can you name any decent character off the top of your that hasn't been through at least some degree of internal conflict that isn't resolved simply with the clap of hands or the breaking of bones? It's one thing for a character to have quirks, but when a character isn't at least struggling with an inherent flaw within them when a conflict revolving around them arises, it's hard to buy the idea that their conflict, both external and internal, is real. I'm still holding out for that Serena focus episode, but as things stand right now, I don't see a reason to get that invested in her character.

Serena has internal struggles, her lack of knowing what she wants to do as a goal, and I'm sure other things will be developed in time, but what's gotten out of hand is this absolutely bonkers mentality that Serena needs to have everything revealed right now, or in some quick manner of time. It's not necessary at all. I, and many others like Serena, and we're willing to wait and give writers the benefit of the doubt. The constant return to the "issues" with Serena gets old.

Lorde

I still pray that Bonnie gets some development in this episode. I don't care if it's just her learning not to leave her pachette or whatever it's called unattended or whatever, but she should at least learn something in this episode. And I'm still cackling at the Beedrill chase scene. It's like the writers can't think of anything more original than a swarm of angry Beedrill.

Haunter ゴースト

I'm looking forward to the episode even if it's clearly going to be filler.

We haven't seen Pichu in a long time so the interaction between Pikachu and it will be cool as well as Dedenne and Pichu which is bound to happen.

Only thing i'm getting a bit annoyed with is how the Beedrill chase scene is happening all the time now, it was nice to see it return in DA! for one episode but to have it two more times in XY in the space of 30?ish episodes is killing the humour and intensity of it.

When it happened in EP003 it was really cool to see but now it's getting run to the ground by the writers, regardless it will probably still be a good scene.

Sephora

yes I'm back
How so, feel free to elaborate. Because having a female character stand around as ship bait for Ash with no agency of her own isn't a curse I'd wish on my worst enemy. Having Serena realize that she went on her journey for Ash, but continues it not just for Ash, but her friends, Pokemon and goal she's finally found would be splendid character development for her and her ultimately getting over Ash since it's obviously not going to lead anywhere would be for the best and a great way to develop her.

I want Serena to develop and find a goal, don't get me wrong, but I don't necessarily think she needs to "get over" Ash for that to happen. I am a sucker for romance so I think it's cute that she has a crush on him. Having said that, I would love for Serena to grow to love pokemon and battling, for sure! I just don't see how she needs to stop crushing over Ash for that to happen. The writers can easily still incorporate a good storyline for Serena despite her crush, but for some reason, they haven't thus far. *sigh* Because for her to only be shipping bait would be ridiculous imo. I want the shipping + CD for Serena. Not one or the other, do you know what I mean? :p I still have faith that something is going to happen to Serena down the road and I refuse to believe otherwise. And no, Serena getting over her crush on Ash is not a good solution imo.

EXACTLY.

Personally, I have no problem with Serena's personality. I just have a problem with her lack of goal and pro-activeness.

Well, Bonnie's and the COTD's bags did look extremely similar. Maybe they didn't look inside beforehand.

That's what I am thinking happens. Dedenne is known to fall asleep often so maybe Bonnie thought he was sleeping and just assumed he was there when she picked up the bag without having to double check.

Lorde

i'm guessing bonnie will probably learn a lesson to always keep an eye on her belonging and that belonging is actually her pokemon dedenne.

I hope she actually retains that knowledge in the future if it's really the lesson of the episode for her. If she learns a lesson and then loses Dedenne again in some future episode anyway, then this episode will have been for nothing imo. So I'll try to stay optimistic, but the odds are against Bonnie tbh.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Smash Preview
- Pichu pops out of Bonni's bag.
- Ash and co. search for Dedenne.
- Clemont revelas another invention.

Status
Not open for further replies.