• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

February 13: XY016 - Dedenne is Pichu and Pichu is Dedenne...!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
So many excuses.

She might as well just donate fennekin to a better cause if all it does is play with its fur.

I love Fennekin and it would be better in Ash's hands if she were to give it away like that. I doubt she would just because she's not using it as much as she could be.

dman_dustin

Not looking forward to this episode, because I'm seriously failing to see the point of this episode.

I think this episode should have been replaced by an episode revolving around Serena and Fennekin.

This episode should have been moved maybe right after the gym battle with Grant.

Maybe that would've been a better place to put this episode.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
Not looking forward to this episode, because I'm seriously failing to see the point of this episode.

I think this episode should have been replaced by an episode revolving around Serena and Fennekin.

This episode should have been moved maybe right after the gym battle with Grant.

Speaking of Grant, I cant wait for more info on that. I hope that in this episode Ash can get his pokemon some more battle experience before the gym.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

I agree whole-heartedly. I thought the Chespin episode should've been devoted to Serena as well, but it wasn't. I personally don't see why we need yet another Bonnie themed episode since we got the Espurr one recently. I just don't see the point of Dedenne getting lost and Bonnie having to track it down; it sounds so redundant imo and at best I hope that Dedenne suddenly learns a new move out of the blue for no reason at all. At least that would give this episode more purpose imo. And I actually wish Team Rocket was in this episode.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Yay, a swarm of mean beedrill again.

I've lost track of how often we've seen swarms of angry Beedrill in the anime. :p

The COTD looks so cute and Dedenne looked adorable in the previews. I still only see this episode as more electric rodent Pokemon promotion though. We have Dedenne and Pichu as the stars and it seems like even Pikachu will get some screen-time since he was shown interacting with Pichu. I'm surprised that the writers didn't throw in Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu and Emolga into this episode too.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
I doubt it's anything to look into, but I wonder if Dedenne knows Substitute, kind of looked like it disappeared after taking a hit from Beedrill.

Pokememes

I am the pokémaster!

KKS-Lapras

I agree whole-heartedly. I thought the Chespin episode should've been devoted to Serena as well, but it wasn't. I personally don't see why we need yet another Bonnie themed episode since we got the Espurr one recently. I just don't see the point of Dedenne getting lost and Bonnie having to track it down; it sounds so redundant imo and at best I hope that Dedenne suddenly learns a new move out of the blue for no reason at all. At least that would give this episode more purpose imo. And I actually wish Team Rocket was in this episode.

Consider this, Iris received quite a decent amount of development episodes in BW, Cilan received very few. In AG, Max's development or focus episodes were few and far between, May had a decent amount, and Brock had very few. Maybe that's why I don't mind the fact that the balance has shifted away from the girl. That, and I'm realistic enough to know that Serena will get focused on in due time. Every time I see someone come back to the Serena isn't getting development/Serena isn't doing anything with Fennekin/Serena still doesn't have a goal posts, I just laugh, because at this point, it's gone way beyond being slightly amusing, now it's just flat stupid. I'm sorry, but there's no other word to describe the constant fall back option that is Serena's lack of "insert various topic here".

Take this episode for what it is, it's an episode in which Dedenne will likely get to do something other then be cute and play in its bag with Bonnie, whom will also get development. This episode will also be development for the group as a whole.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Consider this, Iris received quite a decent amount of development episodes in BW, Cilan received very few. In AG, Max's development or focus episodes were few and far between, May had a decent amount, and Brock had very few. Maybe that's why I don't mind the fact that the balance has shifted away from the girl. That, and I'm realistic enough to know that Serena will get focused on in due time. Every time I see someone come back to the Serena isn't getting development/Serena isn't doing anything with Fennekin/Serena still doesn't have a goal posts, I just laugh, because at this point, it's gone way beyond being slightly amusing, now it's just flat stupid. I'm sorry, but there's no other word to describe the constant fall back option that is Serena's lack of "insert various topic here".

Take this episode for what it is, it's an episode in which Dedenne will likely get to do something other then be cute and play in its bag with Bonnie, whom will also get development. This episode will also be development for the group as a whole.

Serena has had very little focus on her, outside of introducing the character to the viewers and the others.

But none of the focus has been about both her and Fennekin.

However everyone else has had at least something in that department.

Fennekin has only used one attack, and is barely used.

She's more important than Bonnie is, not saying Bonnie shouldn't have focus, but this episode seems completely and utterly pointless, just because Bonnie has to do something cute.

I honestly cannot understand what the hell was going on with the writers when they wrote this episode:

- Right after Bonnie and Espurr, and Clemont and Chespin, let's go BACK to Bonnie and make a story about how Dedenne gets swapped with a Pichu of all Pokemon (I guess because they are similar).

Compare this to the subjective fact that Serena and Fennekin have the least emphasized bond of all the "important" Pokemon.

Ash has a good bond with Froakie, Clemont with Chespin, and Bonnie with Dedenne.

Fennekin and Serena are just THERE, there may have been some good moments, but really there's been absolutely nothing of importance, outside of Fennekin protecting Serena.

Sure I get that might change with the whole Serena uses Fennekin to battle scene in the new year's preview we got, but otherwise there's no confirmation of an episode revolving around them.

It's just infuriating that we are already at the 16th episode, and Serena is just there with her Fennekin. And most of Serena is just a characterization of her. She doesn't like camping, she likes camping, she likes this, she doesn't like this, etc, etc, etc.

BUT THIS episode is just a cute Pokemon swapping episode that serves little to no purpose. It doesn't debut anyone know, and it just puts more emphasis on Bonnie and Dedenne's bond.

KKS-Lapras

Serena has had very little focus on her, outside of introducing the character to the viewers and the others.

But none of the focus has been about both her and Fennekin.

However everyone else has had at least something in that department.

Fennekin has only used one attack, and is barely used.

She's more important than Bonnie is, not saying Bonnie shouldn't have focus, but this episode seems completely and utterly pointless, just because Bonnie has to do something cute.

I honestly cannot understand what the hell was going on with the writers when they wrote this episode:

- Right after Bonnie and Espurr, and Clemont and Chespin, let's go BACK to Bonnie and make a story about how Dedenne gets swapped with a Pichu of all Pokemon (I guess because they are similar).

Compare this to the subjective fact that Serena and Fennekin have the least emphasized bond of all the "important" Pokemon.

Ash has a good bond with Froakie, Clemont with Chespin, and Bonnie with Dedenne.

Fennekin and Serena are just THERE, there may have been some good moments, but really there's been absolutely nothing of importance, outside of Fennekin protecting Serena.

Sure I get that might change with the whole Serena uses Fennekin to battle scene in the new year's preview we got, but otherwise there's no confirmation of an episode revolving around them.

It's just infuriating that we are already at the 16th episode, and Serena is just there with her Fennekin. And most of Serena is just a characterization of her. She doesn't like camping, she likes camping, she likes this, she doesn't like this, etc, etc, etc.

BUT THIS episode is just a cute Pokemon swapping episode that serves little to no purpose. It doesn't debut anyone know, and it just puts more emphasis on Bonnie and Dedenne's bond.

So what if nothing new debuts, considering there's less Pokemon to debut this gen, what is the big deal if they don't reveal something new in every episode in a series that is over 100 episodes long. Bonnie is in the main group, like it or not, that makes her important, so she will get focus. Serena will get focus at some point, when the writers feel it's time.

PokeMaster366

You forgot to mention that, in the context of the story, Serena doesn't know which direction she wants to go in. Her adventure is chiefly one of self-discovery as opposed to fulfilling a goal such as collecting all of the badges or becoming a more competent gym leader in order to push challengers further past their limits. This should actually be a breath of fresh air since we rarely ever see a main character go on a journey for the journey itself rather than the destination it leads up to. It's like finding a game whose core concept doesn't revolve around combat of some kind.

KKS-Lapras

You forgot to mention that, in the context of the story, Serena doesn't know which direction she wants to go in. Her adventure is chiefly one of self-discovery as opposed to fulfilling a goal such as collecting all of the badges or becoming a more competent gym leader in order to push challengers further past their limits. This should actually be a breath of fresh air since we rarely ever see a main character go on a journey for the journey itself rather than the destination it leads up to. It's like finding a game whose core concept doesn't revolve around combat of some kind.

I agree, and if that ends up being the case, it is refreshing. The only issue is that many people won't accept that for a character, because, it's not "action driven" enough. I actually like Serena because she is passive, she acts when necessary, is supportive, and there is a drive, but it subtle. The fact is, she represents a personality that exists in real life. Not everyone is bombastic personality. Serena will get her episodes of pure development, but even little subtle scenes, like when she appears to push Bonnie out of the way of the Beedrill, those little things are just as important.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
It's kind of funny, some mention that Serena should get more focus but can't stand it when Clemont's Pokemon get screentime and activate their abilities thus Bonnie's should be axed for Serena's sake. No, just get rid of a few of the Ash episodes and things would be more balanced. This is Bonnie's episode and no one else's and I don't see why she should give it up, besides a future episode shows Fennekin hurt and roughed up. I think she's battling the Parfum Princess. Since I can see the Blonde Brigade getting episode focus back-to-back.

KKS-Lapras

It's kind of funny, some mention that Serena should get more focus but can't stand it when Clemont's Pokemon get screentime and activate their abilities thus Bonnie's should be axed for Serena's sake. No, just get rid of a few of the Ash episodes and things would be more balanced. This is Bonnie's episode and no one else's and I don't see why she should give it up, besides a future episode shows Fennekin hurt and roughed up. I think she's battling the Parfum Princess. Since I can see the Blonde Brigade getting episode focus back-to-back.

I agree, Bonnie is a part of the main group, it's not just a group of 3 this time around. Especially since Bonnie does have a Pokemon that she "carries" as her own, she's technically got more to work with then Max did back in Hoenn. Although, I do think Ash needs the bulk of the attention in all series, he is the main protagonist.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.

I used to hate Citron, but not anymore. I thinkt hat Citron needs a rest and Serena needs screentime. Serena's screentime (and specially, and i'm being honest, Fennekin's screentime) is a problem for this show.

KKS-Lapras

I used to hate Citron, but not anymore. I thinkt hat Citron needs a rest and Serena needs screentime. Serena's screentime (and specially, and i'm being honest, Fennekin's screentime) is a problem for this show.

No, Serena and Fennekin's amount of screentime, not even 20 episodes into more then 100 episode series, is not a problem. It's an obsession for some, but it's not a problem.

johno1995

It's only been 16 episodes for the series, I'm still not yet worried about Serena's future. She's been dire as of late but I think she'll get her chance soon.

Not exactly looking forward to this episode, though I'm hoping for a few comical moments here and there and maybe some more of Ash, who has also been downplayed quite a bit lately (more AmourShipping hints? :p).

Status
Not open for further replies.