1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

February 16th: PM2019 013: Satoshi VS Dande! The Path to Power!!

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Jan 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decidueye23

Decidueye23 Well-Known Member

Idk... pteviously the whole point of showing ash battle a champion was to show that he had a long way to go. Now he is battling the p9kenon world championship champion this early on. I mean leon is probably going to be the end game in this arc. And ash will probably beat leon. The writers have now figured out how to integrate the new region even after ash wins without doing away with him.

Also i do think leon is gomna tell ash to challenge the galar gyms so that he qualifies for the championship. Much like the games.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  2. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Ugh, let's not have Ash losing to a Charizard yet again.
    It was bad enough(And shitty writing at that) the first time.

Ash should win, if he beats Leon in the Galar League he technically doesn't take the "World Champion" title.

3. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

I think Ash will lose to Leon, not horribly though. Leon will tell Ash to challenge the Galar gyms to get stronger and Ash will do it when he has time in between his research missions. After Ash completes the Galar league to get stronger, he can enter the World Championship and it can get even more intense. I think he'll do this because I doubt the world championships will start up right away again when they are just ending, and with Ash losing to Leon, he'll know he has to do something to get stronger to be a threat in the World Championships against Leon, such as beat the Galar gyms between his research missions. When the World Championships come around too, having the research missions in other regions will be helpful too in between Galar's gyms. I really want to see Ash take on the Galar gyms but I don't want to go back to like him and two companions just traveling a region.

They really set up this anime nicely, the writers have complete freedom with fillers now, Ash can do a gym challenge without being in the region the whole time, and the cast has like complete freedom for catching any pokemon. Gou will catch a bunch of pokemon to show off the goal of completing a pokedex, while Ash completes the goal of raising strong pokemon and going through the leagues/championships. This way they can show off all regions, all the pokemon, the main goals in pokemon games.

4. Besides which path to which kind of Power? Dynamax?

5. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Well if he indeed gonna challenge the Galar gyms then I agree withyou that this world travel idea is neat. Otherwise tho..
    I'm still optimistic=]

6. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I think Pikachu will be able to land a few inconsequential hits, but ultimately fail to inflict a noteworthy amount of damage on Dande's Lizardon. I don't know if that'd be considered a horrible loss for Satoshi, but I don't think that the battle will lost long, regardless.

mehmeh1 likes this.
  7. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: Let's GO home!

Well, half of Ash's league losses happened because of Charizard, be it his own or from others.
    Also, 5/7 of the anime leagues had a Charizard in some way, even if Ash didn't face all(like Kiawe's)

RLC, wolf jani, Dragalge and 2 others like this.
  8. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

You know what I noticed, Leon is actually pretty meh in terms of strength when he's not using Gigantamax. When he was battling Lance, he only really posed a threat when he went to Gigantamax otherwise Gyarados was holding it down. I think a similar thing might happen here. Ash and Pikachu will do decently until he Gigantamaxes and since Ash is new to Dynamaxing, he'll get pwned.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  9. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

...there's a CONSIDERABLE difference between "winning a regional league" and "becoming world champion".

10. game3524

game3524 Well-Known Member

Tournaments.

The staff could really have fun with this. They can play around with the settings (ex. Maybe have a tournament on Mt. Coronet or one on top of Mt. Chimney). It also allows them to bring back older characters and even characters who didn't debut in the series before like Karen or Grimsley.

11. Cptnmac1

Cptnmac1 Well-Known Member

That would get boring really quickly. The saga would have no real flow. It would just be random tournaments with no real sense of progress with a world tournament slapped on at the end that there's no real reason ash would even qualify for in the first place

12. game3524

game3524 Well-Known Member

They wouldn't have to be random tournaments. They can literally serve as a way for Ash to qualify for the World Tournament. Also, IMO it flows a lot better then Ash hopping back to Kanto after a gym match in Galar (which the viewers would have to suspend their disbelief since it doesn't make much sense for Ash to go back home after completing a gym challenge).

13. Rohanator

Rohanator Well-Known Member

I mean he was battling another champion tier trainer (sure fine he's an "Elite 4" in current canon but he got to the finals of this tourney so clearly he's champion material) so I wouldn't call him "meh" in any case, it was a fairly even fight till the G-max, and if anything Gyarados doing better probably wasn't meant to signal us that Dande is weak but to make the viewer think Wataru/Lance had a chance before pulling the rug from under him. I'd be surprised if Dande doesn't toy with Satoshi the entire time, at most he'll probably be surprised by Pikachu's strength/tenacity once or twice like Flint/Ohba back in DP.

But the question was "Why would they make a world championship if they are going to do nothing with it?", it's specifically about the writer's intentions so you can't use "GS ball syndrome" as an example unless you believe the writers have big intentions for the world tournament that they intend to not follow through with lol, if they simply DON't have big intentions it's not the same.

14. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

Sorry but Charizard only seemed like a threat to me when he gigantamaxed tbh. Otherwise he seemed pretty average.

15. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

That's amusing, but it just reinforces why I dislike Lizardon as much as I do. I've been tolerant of Dande's Lizardon simply because I like Dande as a character and he's still somewhat of a novelty this early in the series, but if he were anyone else I'd be exasperated by the tiresome Lizardon marketing that he's part of.

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  16. Egakor

Egakor Well-Known Member

That electric clash between Pikachu and Charizard looks good. I hope the non-Dynamax actions in this episode will also be good.

[​IMG]
    Preview images for this episode
    https://cho-animedia.jp/anime/156708/

17. I find it impressive that Pikachu can push Charizard into Gigantamaxing

18. Egakor

Egakor Well-Known Member

Yeah, from the PV, it seems Charizard's Flamethrower has overwhelmed Pikachu's Thunderbolt. I'm also surprise that Ash & Pikachu make Leon & Charizard resort to Gigantamax.

mehmeh1 and KenzeyEevee like this.
  19. Konja7

Konja7 Well-Known Member

I feel similar when I see the battle between Leon and Lance.

Leon is very arrogant about his abilities, but the only reason he could win is due to the Gigantamax.

1rkhachatryan likes this.
  20. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Gaganga, Keeper of the Gates Impartial

Leon isn't arrogant, he's just a show-off.

wolf jani likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.