• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

February 20: XY017 - Froakie VS Frogadier! Ninja Battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I think I just laughed just now. Are you serious that that's the reason why they are doing this? I mean look at Corphish. It had almost the same kind of design as Clauncher and it was a pretty good battler on Ash's team.
If Froakie were learning Water Pulse, you'd might have a point... but only Froakie's line are fast Water types in Kalos (as in the only Kalos Pokemon)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm just glad that Froakie's getting some training at least, even if it seems kind of redundant for him to train to learn Quick Attack. He didn't get any training when Ash was in Santalune City so this is essentially a chance for him to get some redemption, not to mention that he lost his first official battle and needs a chance to get stronger.

dman_dustin

Gotta blame GameFreak for this one... only 69 species of Kalos Pokemon (not including the hidden legends and including the trio main legends). Clauncher and Skelp don't suit Froakie's battle style

If Froakie were learning Water Pulse, you'd might have a point... but only Froakie's line are fast Water types in Kalos (as in the only Kalos Pokemon)

I'm not sure what you are trying to argue here or what's being argued here period, but the Froakie line isn't the only one that can learn quick attack in 6th generation let alone the other generations Pokemon.

No one forced the writers to use Frogadier to teach quick attack to Froakie, it could've been any other Pokemon (that doesn't fly), and they could've changed it so Froakie suddenly uses quick attack, and Ash wants to use it the way that other Pokemon does.

And also Caseydia's post is confusing me, suggesting that Ash should have gotten Clauncher instead of Froakie.

Regardless, I think I'm all around confusing.

Still think Smokescreen should've been the move to be learned instead.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
And also Caseydia's post is confusing me, suggesting that Ash should have gotten Clauncher instead of Froakie.

You are confused because that is not what I was suggesting. All I was stating was that it doesn't matter what other water pokemon Froakie battles with as long as something positive should come out of it. I rather another water pokemon than one of Froakie's evolutions.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
New summary:
While Satoshi and Keromatsu are training, they meet the Ninja Trainer Sanpei and the "Bubble Frog Pokémon" Gekogashira. Satoshi challenges Sanpei to a Pokémon battle, but ends up beaten. So in order to teach Keromatsu "Quick Attack", which Gekogashira used during the battle, he decides to learn the essence of fighting from Sanpei. Learning this essence requires stern training, so Satoshi and Keromatsu immediately start training alongside Sanpei and Gekogashira.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
New summary:
While Satoshi and Keromatsu are training, they meet the Ninja Trainer Sanpei and the "Bubble Frog Pokémon" Gekogashira. Satoshi challenges Sanpei to a Pokémon battle, but ends up beaten. So in order to teach Keromatsu "Quick Attack", which Gekogashira used during the battle, he decides to learn the essence of fighting from Sanpei. Learning this essence requires stern training, so Satoshi and Keromatsu immediately start training alongside Sanpei and Gekogashira.

Guess it's like the Mr Mime and Buizel episode from Sinnoh. But with Quick Attack... Well, hopefully the battles are good.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I'm not sure what you are trying to argue here or what's being argued here period, but the Froakie line isn't the only one that can learn quick attack in 6th generation let alone the other generations Pokemon.
Caseydia is stating Froakie should be battling a different Water type, I'm stating there are no other Water types except Froakie's line that battles just like him and are from Kalos. Clauncher is not designed for Speed and Skrelp likely can't battle on land at all.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
Caseydia is stating Froakie should be battling a different Water type, I'm stating there are no other Water types except Froakie's line that battles just like him and are from Kalos. Clauncher is not designed for Speed and Skrelp likely can't battle on land at all.

I hope they don't end up using a bunch of older gen water pokemon we've seen a million time before just based off what you said. I don't mind Froakie battling it's evolution but having an episode like that right after the Delphox one is a tad much. Hopefully Chespin's last evolution doesn't have to battle Serena's Fennekin to have a normal battle scene.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
i know this a very fragile topic but does this not sound like froakie isnt going to evolve? and by that i mean does this not sound like the typical "im going to train to beat my evolved form to prove that i dont have to evolve to be a good battler" which in turn leads to ash's pokemon not evolving?

if froakie loses to frogadier again AFTER learning quick attack, then i'll hold on to my hopes of ash with a frogadier/greninja. also if he struggles to learn quick attack within the episode, i will also hold on to my hopes as that sometimes ends up with the pokemon evolving and mastering the move immediately. ala snorunt and ice beam, and gligar and x-scissor.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
i know this a very fragile topic but does this not sound like froakie isnt going to evolve? and by that i mean does this not sound like the typical "im going to train to beat my evolved form to prove that i dont have to evolve to be a good battler" which in turn leads to ash's pokemon not evolving?

Sounds more like the typical "Pokemon gets training from its evolved form" episode, which has led to the Pokemon later evolving in both instances I can remember (AG41, DP100).

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Gligar actually just had a fear of heights...
Yes but he struggled with x-scissor and mastered it upon evolution which is what i meant.

Sounds more like the typical "Pokemon gets training from its evolved form" episode, which has led to the Pokemon later evolving in both instances I can remember (AG41, DP100).

well i definitely hope this is the case again. i forgot about the pokemon that got training from their evolved forms and later evolved.

Lorde

New summary:

So Froakie does lose against Frogadier. Not surprised. I'm glad that the summary mentioned "stern training" though. Hopefully that implies that Ash and Sanpei won't suddenly become friends and that Sanpei is only helping Ash because they both own members of the Froakie line. I'm still cackling at the Quick Attack thing though. It's like we've taken two steps back.

nuzamaki90

New summary:

I'm positive Pound is going to be the move to get the boot when Froakie learns Quick Attack. So with the addition of Double Team, he'll have two Water moves and two Normal moves.

Still kind of sad Froakie loses again, I'll be disappointed if he doesn't actually get a win until the Cyllage Gym

LizardonX

Banned
So I guess froakie still has a chance since it lost. However if they rematch and froakie wins then he still may end up being the next mijumaru.

KKS-Lapras

So I guess froakie still has a chance since it lost. However if they rematch and froakie wins then he still may end up being the next mijumaru.

No, no, no, no, Froakie will evolve down the road. It is the only starter Ash has to focus on. It would make absolutely not sense for it not to evolve at least once.

Lorde

No, no, no, no, Froakie will evolve down the road. It is the only starter Ash has to focus on. It would make absolutely not sense for it not to evolve at least once.

To be fair, there's no confirmation that Froakie will evolve though. This episode doesn't really seem integral to Froakie's evolution anyway unless I missed something that was mentioned in a summary? This is just a training episode from the look of it and nothing more imo.

Last edited:

KKS-Lapras

There's no confirmation that Froakie will evolve and I'm not sure why people are trying to justify it happening. This episode doesn't really seem integral to Froakie's evolution anyway unless I missed something. This is just a training episode and nothing more imo.

You're right, there's no confirmation, however, if Froakie doesn't evolve, even in many Japanese Pokemon fan forums, you might want to steer clear if Froakie doesn't evolve once.

That being said, many people just hope it fits in with the "Beats evolved form means it won't evolve, loses to it means it will evolve" theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.