• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

February 5th: XY059 - Ash and Serena's First Date!? The Vow Tree and the Presents!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau-Kun

Subs came out for the latest episode and the preview reveals that its Ash thats asks Serena to go find presents alone with her, and she is not sure if it's a date or not.

Makes more sense, but why did one of the synopsis say that Serena was the one who took Ash to the shopping? Isn't that a little contradictory?

mavyric

I understand that there are many fans of other ships, and indeed people who dislike shipping in general, but I must admit, for me this is the sole reason I’ve regained interest in the Pokemon anime and the franchise as a whole. (Of course, it also helps that I consider Serena to be the most interesting character of the franchise so far, but I digress)

Anyways, as an Amourshipper, this episode will be of much significance to me, and to Amourshipping in general. I took the time to follow the entire discussion thread, and it seems there are lots of unrealistic predictions or naysaying from both sides.

Now I obviously want Amourshipping to succeed, but it should be done in a logical and methodical way, not as an afterthought, and especially not done in a way that goes OOC for the show as a whole.

This means that any “confession” or “kiss” nonsense should not be happening here, nor the notion of them actually becoming a couple during this episode.

On the other hand, like it or not, Serena's crush IS part of her character development. It's part of her backstory, it's an integral part of why she's here now, and from what we can see so far, it's an important subplot of the XY series. Now whether or not there will be a good resolution at the end of the series is one thing, but you can't deny that with a subplot such as this paired with this being a Serena-centered episode, this episode will have meaningful Amourshipping moments. It's also illogical to say that Amourshipping will die with this episode. After all, Serena's backstory was given for a reason, and there is no sense at all in resolving this plot point this early in the series.

I've posted my prediction and thoughts on what this episode could logically hold on the shipping thread, but I'd like to see what opinion neutrals have on it.

--
1.On the term “first date”:
I think it should be fairly obvious that “date” here is more used in the term of having a one on one outing, and it should be as simple as that. I see a lot of people saying this is all Serena's disillusions or misunderstanding, and honestly I don't get why people are so quick to look down on Serena's intelligence. In all episodes shown up till now, Serena has established her presence as a calm, collected character, while also being the cleverest of the four. I mean, come on, do you really think Serena is stupid enough to think Ash just mysteriously started to like her and now wants to go on a romantic date? It's a one-on-one shopping outing with your crush. That's enough for her to treat it (and call it) as a date. You don’t have to be a couple to be on a date you know. At the end of the day, it’s what you DO during that date that actually matters. If you have a good time, with meaningful interactions and good in-depth discussions that allows you to know each other better, then that is a successful date, which will ultimately pave to way for more one-on-one interactions in the future. And frankly, that is what we need at this stage- more meaningful alone time between Ash and Serena.

Of course, bonus points if somebody else teases them about their little “date,” since it would be nice to get their reactions.

Best case scenario for me would be dialogue stating they had fun today and would like to do it again (initiated by either Ash or Serena)

If they really go down the route of Serena mistaking this as a romantic advance by Ash, then I will be seriously disappointed in the writers. You don't build up your character for almost 60 episodes only to throw it all away.

2. On what actually happens during the episode:
Now again, thinking back to what I just said above, Ash and Serena really need more deep bonding time like they had during the cliff episode in the summer camp arc. It would be nice if during this episode we can get the two to talk more about their past, as well as their dreams and goals. Especially for Serena, this would help with her character development even further.

I will also be pleased if Serena goes through her thought process on how she chooses costumes and accessories for her performance. It’s understandable that performances take a backseat from battles, but if you’re going to make performing the goal of the female lead, then there better be some more information about it!

Another important progress point is for Serena to actually show her affection towards Ash. Now we as viewers have already got many scenes and scenarios where it’s obvious Serena is crushing on Ash. People are quick to point out how dense Ash is in regards to matters like romance, or how he would never know if a girl actually likes him, but the fact remains that Serena has yet to directly show any of her affection towards Ash directly. For all intents and purposes, she has been relatively low-key around Ash, with most interactions being completely normal. The only times Serena has outwardly shown signs to Ash was during XY007 (where Ash was too busy scarfing down cookies) and during that cliff episode (and hey, Ash actually noticed something was off that time!)

We already see the try-for-hand-grab scene from the preview, but honestly that’s not enough. Blushing is cute and all, but ultimately meaningless if your crush does not see it. We need Serena to do something in front of Ash that could possibly hint of her affection towards him. It’s unfair to call Serena's cause hopeless or saying Ash is dense when he hasn’t even been given a chance to pick up on anything yet!

3. On the “promise”
Again, here I think it’s fairly obvious the wish/promise will be Pokemon Master-related for Ash, and Pokemon Performer-related for Serena. Any wish/promise towards Amourshipping will be OOC for the show as a whole. Well, ok, maybe Serena will make a love-related wish. That would still mostly be in character, but I highly doubt it will happen.

HOWEVER, wording is an important point here. I think for Amourshippers the best case scenario would be for their wish to be worded “I hope we can reach our goals together

That is the only scenario that would both make sense for the show AND give progress for Amourshipping

Realistically though, it's more probable they make the promise with their pokemon.

4. On the “present”
Now here is where the most interesting point of this episode will be for me.

With the wording of “THE present,” it’s highly probable that either Ash or Serena will give each other a present. I was originally leaning towards Serena, but judging from previews it seems more and more likely that it’s actually Ash who buys a present for Serena.

Now I say this is interesting because for this XY generation, it’s my hunch that the writers are more focusing on the emotional bond between the lead male and female instead of direct support such as cheering or training. Again, think back to gym 1 and gym 3, where both times Ash got his breakthrough because of words that Serena said to him. Now I love Serena to death, but no one should be delusional as to think she’s a great battler. Same goes for Ash and his fashion/beauty sense. Since it’s harder for to two to support each other directly, I think the writers decided to go with this indirect route of emotional support (and hey, it actually makes logical sense and fits with the whole “crush” theme)

So I think it’s a very high possibility that this “present” will be the catalyst for either Ash or Serena’s victory in one of their future battles/performances.
---

So there we go, the above are my thoughts and predictions on what could happen during the episode that benefits Amourshipping and still stay realistically within character of the show.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Maybe there's a flashback scene with Ash and Serena promising to each they will marry when they are older.

But it probably won't happen...

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
4. On the “present”
Now here is where the most interesting point of this episode will be for me.

With the wording of “THE present,” it’s highly probable that either Ash or Serena will give each other a present. I was originally leaning towards Serena, but judging from previews it seems more and more likely that it’s actually Ash who buys a present for Serena.

Now I say this is interesting because for this XY generation, it’s my hunch that the writers are more focusing on the emotional bond between the lead male and female instead of direct support such as cheering or training. Again, think back to gym 1 and gym 3, where both times Ash got his breakthrough because of words that Serena said to him. Now I love Serena to death, but no one should be delusional as to think she’s a great battler. Same goes for Ash and his fashion/beauty sense. Since it’s harder for to two to support each other directly, I think the writers decided to go with this indirect route of emotional support (and hey, it actually makes logical sense and fits with the whole “crush” theme)

So I think it’s a very high possibility that this “present” will be the catalyst for either Ash or Serena’s victory in one of their future battles/performances.

See
Japanese doesn't have plural forms the same way English does. The usage of the singular "present" is just guesswork, it can just as easily be plural.

The title translation got changed to plural "presents" a while ago after it was made clear there were indeed multiple presents involved.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
About time this episode is finally going to be over.
Top Bantz when based writers decide to send the fandom by announcing Ash and Serena's 2nd Date just for kicks. But for real this reminds me of right before the Korrina Gym Battle where evryone just wanted it to be done with to end all the arguments and "debates"

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
About time this episode is finally going to be over.

I'm honestly surprised we've gone 91 pages arguing over shipping canon which more than half of it shoulda gone to the armorshipping thread.

'twas a good run and a good laugh while it lasted.

jason0597

Still, I wonder about this.
What does it mean? Why is he smiling like that, and why would Serena suddenly have a surprised look on her face?
Did he say something that she did not expect? Cause Ash has an interesting expression on his face.
The ususal argument would be that Serena will interpret whatever Ash says as Shippy, but I don't think it will be that stupid.

Last edited:

Jiffunk

the vow ash makes is that if he wins the kalos league, he will marry serena. trust me, i'm a scientist

phanpycross

God-king
Let's talk about something other than the shipping because we've spent 72 pages talking about it and at this point this is Amourshipping Thread 3.0.

Maybe what might Ash get for his Pokemon, what will the Lemons be doing, or what's in that f****** yellow gift?

We spent one half gushing over rocky helmet....

And hot diggity is it hard to find good internet on bad london hotels lol.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
We spent one half gushing over rocky helmet....

And hot diggity is it hard to find good internet on bad london hotels lol.
Just get on a bus tour. Free wifi.

Anti luring

Reigning Champ
Views: 222,470 - dayum. Hope this episode doesn't be what we don't want it to turn out to be, that would be a shame. For those that haven't watched it yet here's KGPrestige discussion video on the up-coming date episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbu_Ua1fj-U

Last edited:

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Wow, isn't this the highest viewed preview thread since the Charizard episode back in Episode N? I can't wait for the actual discussion post-ep thread if only for the shipper wars.

Personally i'm expecting a cute shopping date with only Serena fantasizing about love while Ash talks about friendship and Pokémon, not even expecting a blush from him honestly.

Mau-Kun

Still, I wonder about this.
What does it mean? Why is he smiling like that, and why would Serena suddenly have a surprised look on her face?
Did he say something that she did not expect? Cause Ash has an interesting expression on his face.
The ususal argument would be that Serena will interpret whatever Ash says as Shippy, but I don't think it will be that stupid.

Ash looks so relaxed while saying it so I don't think it's something like "I like you", he's probably thanking her for something.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Wow, isn't this the highest viewed preview thread since the Charizard episode back in Episode N?

We passed that a while ago. The only preview threads that have had more views were BW Season 2 episode 19 (the first league episode), BW Season 2 episode 24 (the final league episode) and the BW85-86 double episode finale.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
*sighs*...are people still hyping this one sided train wreck??

Ash doesn't remember what romance means after Johto ended remember people?? Go watch the Cottonee episode if you don't believe me.

jason0597

*sighs*...are people still hyping this one sided train wreck??

Ash doesn't remember what romance means after Johto ended remember people?? Go watch the Cottonee episode if you don't believe me.
Why does no one give them a chance?
If we bring patterns into consideration, let's also lock both threads! I mean, what's the point of hoping for something new if we already know the disappointing outcome?
It's because of the "What if" that I come here and discuss, otherwise it would make for a pretty boring season if you ask me ("yeah yeah, let's not think that he may have aged, he's still 10, he'll get all 8 badges and fail, move to next gen, dump the current girl, rinse and repeat")

Status
Not open for further replies.