• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

February 6: XY015 - Chespin VS Delphox! A Weight Loss Battle!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Delphox is perfectly able to use Psychic attacks? Sounds cool. At least all of our concerns won't be focused on the stronger Fire attacks.

The old couple has battles against each other?! Marital issues... :p

If the battle winds up being unresolved because of the old man's back, I'm gonna laugh out SO LOUD. Probably the funniest way to end a battle ever. XD

Judging by the translations of the scans Dephender offered to us, it seems like Chespin somehow strays away from the group, probably after smelling some macarons, and met the old woman.

Still looking forward to this. I'd like to see what happens with this strange battle.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
If by "interesting" you mean more deus ex machina, then I agree. :p I don't think Overgrow coming to Chespin's rescue is as bad as him snatching Delphox's wand and rendering it useless, but it's still a convenient way to give Chespin a power-up and I feel that we're extremely lucky that the battle will apparently end without a clear winner.
Again? How is Overgrow DEM? Overgrow is an inherent ability that has always been latent within Chespin, as has it in Treecko, Bulbasaur, Chikorita and Snivy-users Pokemon as well. I don't see the harm in it activating, the "in a pinch" part is very much played up and likely alluding to the fact that Flamethrower is super-effective against the agile Grass-type. So it's natural that adrenaline would activate within Clemont's Pokemon. Chespin isn't winning with anything it doesn't have or hasn't worked for so how does the context of it all make Overgow DEM? You can call it convenient all you want but calling it a deus ex machina is inaccurate. Overgrow isn't treated like the end-all be-all anyway, it doesn't finish the battle with ease and solve all of Chespin's problems.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Again? How is Overgrow DEM? Overgrow is an inherent ability that has always been latent within Chespin, as has it in Treecko, Bulbasaur, Chikorita and Snivy-users Pokemon as well. I don't see the harm in it activating, the "in a pinch" part is very much played up and likely alluding to the fact that Flamethrower is super-effective against the agile Grass-type. So it's naturally that adrenaline would activate within Clemont's Pokemon. Chespin isn't winning with anything it doesn't have or hasn't worked for so how does the context of it all make Overgow DEM. You can call it convenient all you want but calling it DEM is a big reach. Overgrow isn't treated like the end-all be-all anyway, it doesn't finish the battle with ease and solve all of Chespin's problems.

It's extremely convenient that Chespin is activating Overgrow when many Pokemon before it with similar abilities like Torrent or Blaze haven't had the chance to do it. The writers are incredibly inconsistent with abilities and in this case it seems pointless for Chespin to activate Overgrow when he's also done training. I mean why have him resort to that ability instead of giving him a new move or at least some new strategy that could turn the tables on Delphox? But as always, the writers go for the most contrived scenario possible. Smh.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
It's extremely convenient that Chespin is activating Overgrow when many Pokemon before it with similar abilities like Torrent or Blaze haven't had the chance to do it. The writers are incredibly inconsistent with abilities and in this case it seems pointless for Chespin to activate Overgrow when he's also done training. I mean why have him resort to that ability instead of giving him a new move or at least some new strategy that could turn the tables on Delphox? But as always, the writers go for the most contrived scenario possible. Smh.

I honestly prefer Overgrow over a new move, this battle is gonna showcase Chespin's growth in strength well enough and it already has a pretty decent moveset anyway so it's a win-win either way and I'd prefer if Fennekin caught up to Chespin/Froakie before they both get full movesets. They can save a new move for later. But yeah, the writers are inconsistent with the starters' abilities, I'm guessing because they would lose their shock factor and amazement if they activated too often.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Chespin tying with Delphox (more or less)... Still more impressive then Froakie's been lately

Which is also one of my issues with the whole Overgrow thing. I mean Froakie has to train to learn Quick Attack and possibly Double Team, meanwhile Chespin just trains to lose weight and gets to use its ability to battle on par with Delphox, a fully-evolved Pokemon? It just seems so unfair to me. The writers may as well have given Chespin to Ash imo.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
hich is also one of my issues with the whole Overgrow thing. I mean Froakie has to train to learn Quick Attack and possibly Double Team, meanwhile Chespin just trains to lose weight and gets to use its ability to battle on par with Delphox, a fully-evolved Pokemon? It just seems so unfair to me. The writers may as well have given Chespin to Ash imo.
In before Lizardon comes ranting Clemont needs to trade Chespin to Ash XD.

But seriously, I'm assuming it's to hype Clemonts Gym status, regardless if he uses Chespin to fight Ash or not

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Which is also one of my issues with the whole Overgrow thing. I mean Froakie has to train to learn Quick Attack and possibly Double Team, meanwhile Chespin just trains to lose weight and gets to use its ability to battle on par with Delphox, a fully-evolved Pokemon? It just seems so unfair to me. The writers may as well have given Chespin to Ash imo.

I can actually agree with this. I mean, Clemont only got Chespin five episodes prior to this one and it's already doing things like this? Against a fully evolved Pokémon? Seriously?! But there's nothing we can do about it, so...

After seeing those new scans, still really looking forward to this episode. The old man's actions look like they will be amusing to watch and I get to see one of my favourite Pokémon of this generation animated.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Again, Froakie isn't in a "huge" pinch thus Torrent isn't going to activate. Chespin is getting hit badly by Delphox's fire, Infernape got shocked without mercy by Electivire. The Pokemon obviously has to barely be hanging on to activate its ability. It's not an ability that has to be trained for, no ability has to be trained for. I don't see the point in giving Chespin to Ash, Froakie's doing perfectly okay under Ash's care.

Illusio

No words, only rage
So instead Overgrow's getting showcased, Personally I think I would've preferred a move since I think that would have more of a long term effect but oh well, hopefully the battle showcases it well.

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
Is it just me, or does the old granny kind of gives me that Hansel and Gretel vibe? XD;;

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
All that and some awesome guest voice actors too.

Tadashi Miyazawa? That's Yugi's grandpa.

And Yukiji?
The Samurai. From episode 4.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Whoa, you aren't kidding. They really pulled out all the stops on this one.

Has Miyazawa ever played a role on this show before? Accordingly, was that the only role Yukiji ever had until now?

Janovy

Banned
I am now really excited about this episode. It's been a while since we've last seen Overgrow and I am excited to see it again. Hopefully Chespin learns a new move as well.

Dedenne battling? Hell yeah.

And the old married couple looks amusing. Can't wait, much more excited for this than the Froakie episode, sadly. Now all we need is amazing animation. :D

Soniman

Break the Limit
No Team Rocket, Denenen battling, and some possible character development for good ol' Chespin? Sounds like a good time.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Overgrow, ha. Cool, it really souped up Vine Whip. Clemont's Kalos starter is having the best start off battling career wise imo, I think I like Chespin more than Froakie now. But this episode will decide it completely. I'm so happy they're doing so much with Clemont and his Chespin right off the bat. Battle looks really cool and dynamic and that epic roar while being consumed in that green aura. I'm really glad to see Chespin and Clemont are having an epic moment like this and that weight loss should have sped up Chespin a good bit to aid in evading Delphox's attacks. Which reminds me, with Overgrow activated I wonder if this is the scene where Bonnie and Dedenne are cheering happily in the preview for this episode?

It also reminds me that Chespin getting up and roaring courageously like a fighter/knight/warrior(Which the Chespin line is based off.) reminds me that one of Clemont's aspirations was to gain more courage while on his journey.

Certainly does show that fans shouldn't use patterns to base the treatment of a starter, in other words just because Brock's Mudkip wasn't handled very great in screentime does not mean Chespin is doomed to follow the same fate at least not in the beginning. This episode proves it.

Certainly shows that fans shouldn't copy paste expectation based on a previous series onto a different series.. The whole XY = AG-thing is proving to be wronged at every step...

Eevee-Sylveon, thanks for the scans! So it is Overgrow, and an unresolved battle. That's fine. It sets a good precedent for Froakie and Fennekin using their abilities eventually, without it looking too contrived (ChimBlaze)- even if the writers tend to be incredibly circumstantial with Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent/Swarm...

Though it makes you wonder, if Froakie will be getting similar access to Torrent, would that inhibit its chances of evolving? Because he'll be getting that power boost through Torrent?

IcySealeo

I think you set your hopes too much high over this Dedenne battling thing. I'm sure it just attacks Chespin one time or twice and make it faint, without any official battle or an intense battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.