• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Feedback and Suggestions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zincspider

My Bloody
I think there might be somthing like that, but I am not completely sure.

I was thinking of a "RPG Commercials" Thread, like the one in FanFiction.

THat way you can advertise your RPG with what it will be like, and not based on the name like most people do. I notice that it is fandom games that get all of the people to join... not that it is always good. Alot of newbs are running aroun (maybe me included... I'm not sure).

I just think we need it to show people somthing other than Digimon can be good and diferent.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
That's up to you to make, not us.

angrycaterpie

Gaze upon the slayer
For some stupid reason, I'm unable to post in the RPG Ideas & Wishes Thread.

Is this thread for feedback and suggestions on RPG's, too? Or am I asking a silly question again?

NPC

sleep researcher
Holy crap, AC.

The problem with RPing in SPPf as I see it is that new people will be constantly, almost undoubtedly turned down from games written by experienced players, because nobody wants an idiot running around what they have spent days or weeks formulating, typing out and trying to sell to the Serebii public. In their constant rejection from high-profile, well-written RPGs, these novices tend to lose their motivation for role-playing, which doesn't help the already small population of the forum. Eventually these novices join the only RPGs where they are accepted: flimsy, rushed games made by other novices which will almost certainly die or spiral out of control within the first few pages. Eventually the newbie learns and becomes more experienced (given that he/she continues to role-play), but the process takes time and many failed attempts as well as rejections, which is bound to turn many away from RPGs in general.

What we need is a place where these people can post without fear of being turned down instantly and work their RPG skills out in an environment that will encourage them to keep posting. In the past, mods have had various newbie-teaching 'schools' where they could RP and be told what they're doing wrong and right. It worked, but I think that in this instance we should have RPGs with simple (but well-thought-out) plots, preferably regarding major franchises that lots of people will want to join (Pokémon, Digimon, etc.), and classify them as Training RPGs or something to that effect. They should be short RPGs with simple adventure-boss-triumph story cycles where players will be able to grow and establish character relationships while doing what they like to do best in RPGs. Letting them learn this way is much more effective than turning them down eternally or letting them RP only with others of their same level. Those who are motivated will eventually become competent RPers either way, but one way is much faster.

Unlikely, but if you need someone to run something like this, I could do it once things in my RP settle a bit.

tl;dr bring back RPG school threads, but with actual adventurous plots.

Peter Quill

star-lord
Can we have a RPG Awards? You know, somewhat like the one in the fanfiction forum, but for RPGs.

Elementman-Novapoke

Hello...

Right, with formalities out of the way, I'd like to present my idea. Well, really, it's an idea from another sub-forum, and I'm just stealing it.

In the Club section, when you first post your club, you have to (or it could be had to; I don't know how things have changed since my sudden disappearing act, which was followed by my recent return) wait for it to be approved basically, until it becomes public, right?

Well, why can't we do this for the RPG SU threads? Y'know, have the RPG mods (well, it'd only take one, really) check if they're within all rules before accepting them, and allowing them to go into public view.

Or, you could ignore me.
I appreciate that it would add to the Mod's busy workload.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
The problem with having Sign Ups be moderated is that it's black and white, with no grey area. Where do we draw the line at what's accepted or not? If the plot has 400 words then it's the bare minimum asked for by the rules, so we should allow it. It might be terrible, full of loopholes and have no form to it. Likewise it could be an amazing plot but the character form be small and so should be closed.

Moderated threads can't be opened up for discussion, which is what we try to do here, letting people know what's wrong with their RPGs and where to add and improve things. If we just said NO and killed the topic, then the person posting it will never learn how to do it better. I can see where you're coming from with the suggestion, it would make things easier in the short run, but in the long run there'd be no signs of improvement and then we'd just get the same RPGs from the same people all the time.

On another note, I'm in the process of revamping the rules for the first time in 3 years. So soon there'll be a new Rules topic that covers all three forums.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
I noticed this was similar to the idea on the top of this page, but I'll post it anyhow...

Could we have a thread for on-going RPGs to list openings, like in the Sign-Up area? Basically, most people only check the new Sign-up threads and only a few think to check into on-going threads. And when you do check into older sign-up threads, you run the risk of finding a nice one where the main thread has unfortunately died or the GM has given up on it. Or finding a thread that the GM wants no more sign-ups for.

But then GMs also have the problem of once their RPG gets going, those who still hold reserves tend to drop them entirely. Maybe they were busy anyhow, or maybe the reserves thought they couldn't get in because the RPG started. And I've had the problem personally of having players drop out and no one new comes in to fill the void. A single thread for recruitments might slow the death-rate of RPGs.

I'd be willing to make something like that, but I wanted to check first.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Sorry for the late response Ysavvryl (One day I'll be able to spell your username without having to copy it off the screen), I didn't notice the topic had a new reply. As for your suggestion, I like it. I've a pretty good idea of how a topic would be set up, so I'll make something along the lines and put it in the Sign Up Forums ASAP.

Dragoness

*Ebil grin*
RPG Contest

Inspired by the Artist/Avatar/Signature/Writer/Poem of the week contests I see, I present the following suggestion:

Let's make a contest for RPG of the week. Or, rather, RPG sign-up of the week. It would not just be your idea of a good RP, but your finished, polished sign-up that you would present to fellow RPers in the sign-up forum.

Here Is How It Would Work:

Me, or Razor, or another mod, would post a quote, or song, or a short poem (or something creative along those lines) once a week. Then the members of the RPG forum would have seven days to create a plot (a "plot sheet") based on that quote/poem/song/ect.

Their work would be PM'ed to the designated contest director and then would be posted for a public vote. In order to avoid bias, they would have to keep which RP is their own quiet and the names of the contestants would not be released until after the voting is done (seven days for the voting period).

Also, the contestants would have to do a short explanation outlining how they leap frog'ed from idea to idea to get their whole plot.

What Would Be Included In the Plot Sheet?

• Your plot, of course!
  • A sign-up sheet for potential RPers
  • Your RP's name
  • Your RP's rules.
  • Any additional information that potential RPers would find useful
  • Any special effects that are not against the contest rules

Among the Things To Be Ironed Out Is...:

Once a week seems a little too much. Maybe once every two weeks? So twice a month the contest would run.

Also, would banners be allowed? As in, a banner for the top of the contestants RP. Since they can't go asking the Graphics Shops on Serebii for a banner to be made and not everyone is a decent graphics artist, I'm not sure if banners should be allowed or not.

And who would run this?

Psychout

I feel like this is a major bump, but...

Is there any thought about splitting the RPG forum? I was thinking if you split it into Pokemon RP's and then Other RP's that could help reduce clutter and keep better organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.