• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Feraligatr [Discussion]

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Spr_5b_160.png
Spr_b_5b_160.png

~ Feraligatr ~

This thread is here to discuss Feraligatr both now in the current OU
metagame and in the future when it gets its Dream World ability,
Sheer Force. Feel free to talk about Feraligatr, share you own sets,
and share counters.

Feraligatr has been around since the 2nd Generation, G/S/C. In this long stretch of time it has found itself outclassed by the likes of other boosting physical water types, mainly Gyarados. With the coming of the 5th Generation bringing all new threats and the Dream World granting new abilities Feraligatr has much potential this generation. The set I am most looking forward to using involves Feraligatr's Dream World ability in Sheer Force. Imagine the power of a STAB, Rain Boosted, Sheer Force Boosted, Life-Orb (w/ no recoil damage), Waterfall. Now that's scary. Feraligatr also gets Dragon Dance, patching its lack-luster speed stat and also boosting its attack, and damage output from that huge Waterfall. Feraligatr also has a niche over Gyarados in that it can defeat Ferrothorn + Jellicent Combo w/ the combination of Superpower and Crunch.​

Offensive Attacking Options:

~ Aqua Jet
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch
~ Return
~ SuperPower
~ Waterfall

Support / Boosting Options:

~ Agility
~ Dragon Dance
~ Swords Dance

Example Sets:

(Dream World * Currently Unreleased *)
Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Sheer Force | Jolly
4 HP / 252 atk / 252 spe
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- SuperPower

This Feraligatr is made for the rain. Once it is realeased it will unleash its fury. The immense power and no recoil damage from Waterfall will make many Pokemon think twice about switching in. This Feraligatr can beat down even the best of the physical walls under rain, such as Skarmory. Crunch also gets a Sheer Force boost which it enjoys. This also allows it to reliably hit Celebi, Lati@s, and Jellicent (note the 3 former will require a DD boost to outspeed and avoid being KO'd)

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Torrent | Adamant
252 HP / 252 atk / 4 def
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch
- SuperPower

This is currently one of the best / only Feraligatr's to use in the current OU metagame as Sheer Force is not released. Feraligatr forgoes speed for some excellent bulk. After a SD Feraligatr's attack becomes sky high and with a STAB and possible Rain Boosted priority move... watch out. Ice Punch allows you to beat Dragonite and other Dragons effectively. SuperPower gives you a way to beat Ferrothorn.

Checks / Counters:

Rotom - W : Can take Feraligatr's STAB and hits hard with a SE STAB.

Not_A_Cyberbully

Claimed Gabite
Wow. Nice pokemon choice John. I love feraligatr. I think that feraligatr's best counter is pokemon like lanturn. It takes a water attack and then fires back the fatal Thunder[bolt]

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
Yeah, but Feraligatr can just OHKO Lanturn the next turn after Lanturn switches in with Earthquake.

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
You do have a point there, but it is an option, albeit a rare one.

If Feraligatr does not carry EQ then it is pretty much dead against a Lanturn. But on the flip side, how often do you see Lanturn?

Not_A_Cyberbully

Claimed Gabite
You do have a point there, but it is an option, albeit a rare one.

If Feraligatr does not carry EQ then it is pretty much dead against a Lanturn. But on the flip side, how often do you see Lanturn?

On water monos or in lower tiers, a fair bit.

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
Well since Feraligatr is UU using it in lower tiers such as RU and NU is not allowed, and Lanturn is pretty rare in UU. However, it is a threat that a team using Feraligatr should check, or any Water type that doesn't have a ground subtype.

Not_A_Cyberbully

Claimed Gabite
Well since Feraligatr is UU using it in lower tiers such as RU and NU is not allowed, and Lanturn is pretty rare in UU. However, it is a threat that a team using Feraligatr should check, or any Water type that doesn't have a ground subtype.

You've got good points here. How about this. Lanturn, although a huge counter to any feraligatr not carrying Earthquake, is a counter not seen often.

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
That sums it up just about perfectly.

Uh, guys? Feraligatr is RU, not UU, Earthquake is used on a little more than one of every four Feraligatrs in RU, and Lanturn has more usage than Gatr; about 8%. So yeah, there's that.

Anyhow, Feraligatr is pretty nice in RU. It's got good power with great boosting moves, useful priority, and good bulk for a sweeper. What it really needs is for Sheer Force to hurry up and get released. A set of Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Crunch/Ice Punch OR Superpower will be great, kinda like in the OP. Feraligatr's problem before used to be that Gyarados pulled off Dragon Dance better, but now it'll have more power with Sheer Force and will be immune to Life Orb recoil for most moves.

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
Uh, guys? Feraligatr is RU, not UU, Earthquake is used on a little more than one of every four Feraligatrs in RU, and Lanturn has more usage than Gatr; about 8%. So yeah, there's that.

Anyhow, Feraligatr is pretty nice in RU. It's got good power with great boosting moves, useful priority, and good bulk for a sweeper. What it really needs is for Sheer Force to hurry up and get released. A set of Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Crunch/Ice Punch OR Superpower will be great, kinda like in the OP. Feraligatr's problem before used to be that Gyarados pulled off Dragon Dance better, but now it'll have more power with Sheer Force and will be immune to Life Orb recoil for most moves.

Oops, I was going off of 4th gen. when I said Gatr was UU. But I would not be surprised if Gatr goes up to UU again once it gets Sheer Force.

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
Feraligatr would be an offensive monster if it could get egg moves and sheer force. It would probably even become OU if Gyarados didn't exist.

Not_A_Cyberbully

Claimed Gabite
Feraligatr would be an offensive monster if it could get egg moves and sheer force. It would probably even become OU if Gyarados didn't exist.

Probably. Imagine. And if they found a way to get D-Dance, Aqua Jet and Ice punch on one set. Imagine the power!

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
Let's just say that Gyarados' mouth would still be gaping. However, it would be gaping in shock of how strong its little cousin Feraligatr has become.

Not_A_Cyberbully

Claimed Gabite
Let's just say that Gyarados' mouth would still be gaping. However, it would be gaping in shock of how strong its little cousin Feraligatr has become.

Yeah. Feraligatr will always have a place in my heart because it was the first pokemon I successfully EV Trained. Plus, he opened my eyes to Egg Moves!

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
In my first play through of Soul Silver I chose Totodile. Plus Feraligatr's design is wicked cool.

In my first play through of Soul Silver I chose Totodile. Plus Feraligatr's design is wicked cool.

That's great, but it's also completely irrelevant to the point of this thread. Anyway, once Sheer Force is released, it'll be a great boost for Feraligatr, since it has a excellent Sheer Force movepool. The Dragon Dance set will probably become its most popular set, since it helps alleviate its average speed, and the Sheer Force + LO boost perfectly complements the attack raise from Dragon Dance.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Everyone quit ******* spamming

I thought I would just add some info about checks and counters to Feraligatr. Feraligatr could become very dangerous and versatile, hard to work around. When you first think of Feraligatr ferrothirn and jelliven both come up in the mind as good counters. However because of Feraligatr's last slot coverage move the choice could be difficult. For Feraligatr to run crunch or superpower are both very viable. This causes it to be difficult to know how to check that Feraligatr as each move could wreck your ferrothorn/jellicent making you have to think about what it's carrying. Other pokemon can be in the same boat such as starmie. If Feraligatr is using crunch starmie is scared but if not it wrecks him.