• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

FerrisWheelShipping - Touko & N <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, people compare Ferriswheelshipping to Twilight? I'd like to see an example of this...

Honestly, even though I love this pairing to pieces, I don't delve into the fanworks for it often aside from Japanese fanarts and one fanfiction, Eden, so I wouldn't know much about the Western fandom's portrayal of this pairing.

Really NxWhite fangirls? Twilight? Really?

spiderbrush

Woah, people compare Ferriswheelshipping to Twilight? I'd like to see an example of this...

Honestly, even though I love this pairing to pieces, I don't delve into the fanworks for it often aside from Japanese fanarts and one fanfiction, Eden, so I wouldn't know much about the Western fandom's portrayal of this pairing.

Well, I don't think you have to look very hard.xP

But Eden is a really nice FWS story. So is Alphabet Soup (although it's more about White's journey, it does have FWS moments, and the author portrays the characters fantastically.)

Kaiserin

please wake up...

Kameinu

Arooo!
There's a whole tag full of N/White, as it turns out.

Frankly, I enjoy the humor of the fanart over at Pivix more than anything else..xD

And that's good. Spare yourself the horror.

Also, Eden is actually pretty good. And so is Alphabet Soup.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Frankly, I enjoy the humor of the fanart over at Pivix more than anything else..xD

And that's good. Spare yourself the horror.

Also, Eden is actually pretty good. And so is Alphabet Soup.

Seconding all this! Pixiv's got some pretty pictures, but it also has some hilarious ones too. A lot of hilarious ones.

While as a rule, I don't enjoy fics with the same concept as Eden for a lot of reasons (i.e. White loses to N and becomes his queen or whatever), the least of which being that they're overdone as hell... Eden itself is very good, as a notable exception! It's well written, and I like it a lot. Ditto Alphabet Soup, though I haven't actually checked for updates on either in a while, so... perhaps I should do that.

starkiller

kawaii desu desu ne~
I'm down with this ship. Joinage? <3

PalmerDawn

True Beauty
After Months Of Nothing But School Work I'm Back! Your All Welcome To join!
*Forgive Me everyone school made it so hard to sign on & then I forgot my PW Big Mess*

Anyhow! I've read over all the comments & I have to Say I'm loving everything!
As for Comparing FerrisWheel Shipping To Twlight I'm not sure how it would work I'd also love to see an example of that.

If you had a say in How N & T Meet Would you change it?

Kaiserin

please wake up...
As for Comparing FerrisWheel Shipping To Twlight I'm not sure how it would work I'd also love to see an example of that.

It's not really that it exists in a fic so much as it's a seemingly fundamental principle in a lot of the fandom. Which... is kind of disgustingly inaccurate to me, because no matter how you interpret the protagonist, I can't fathom how N could wind up warped enough to basically be a knockoff of Edward Cullen.

Basically, with these fans, N/Touko really does end up an Edward/Bella knockoff, often completely with the abusive overtones that, like Stephenie Meyer herself, the fans themselves don't seem to realize are actually that messed up.

...Frankly, I think the fact they're technically in agreement with Meyer even without explicitly saying so says a lot about them as fans and creative individuals in their own right.

Personally, while I don't dislike the "lost childhood friend" trope, I like N/Touko better as two people who met and got closer after they hit their teenage years. I feel like having them meet before Touko starts out, along with not really agreeing with N's backstory in the first place (we have no idea if he even grew up in Unova proper, and if he did, he sure as hell didn't have any human friends to make an impression on him that weren't deliberately placed), sort of cheapens any romantic relationship that could come from their meeting.

I mean, N meets Touko and, after a while of getting closer to her in his own weird way, realizes she's changing him in unexpected ways. And the same could probably be said vice-versa, too, depending on how you see it. I think it's a great concept on its own without the addition of long-lost friends, because that would make it feel a little too... predestined, I guess? Not that I have a problem with predestined romance, but love should never be that easy.

Just my two cents, though.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
Add me to the list, please. (Curse me for forgetting to say that in my other post... >_<)

Eh, that's hard for me. On one hand, I do like the idea of a "long lost childhood friend", if deployed right. On the other hand, the whole "understanding differences" thing was very well-played, and I'm afraid that I'd ruin the perfect recipe by substituting it with another not-so-perfect one. Meeting a peculiar boy that's not very connected to humans seems to be efficient, yet curious fodder for the start of something special.

I really can see this pairing as Twilight with everyone replaced by Pokémon characters. IT BE SCARY.

Kameinu

Arooo!

Type FerrisWheelShipping on Deviantart. Some good examples will show up.

Badboy!N comes to mind.

The Twilight comparisson is pointing out the bad fandom portrayal of the couple.

Pfft. My headcanon for FWS is already different from most. In my mind Hilda isn't the dragon hero, Hilbert is. She's just a Battle Subway junkie that finds herself somehow tied up in the Plasma mess at some points of Hilbert's journey. And since I see Hilbert to caught up with his ambitions, Hilda comes of as someone who doesn't ask for much and see things for what they are.

a) Battle Subway Junkie= Pretty content with what they have.

b) Aims to be League Champion= Keeps pursuing more.

a) Truth.

b) Ideals.

N needs someone to show him reality, someone who can be more grounded. IMO Hilda is that (despite being energetic and insane sometimes).

This idea on the protagonists also bounces of their portrayal in Special.

ilovedragonites said:
I really can see this pairing as Twilight with everyone replaced by Pokémon characters. IT BE SCARY.

http://i43.*******.com/syb3no.png

I can see it too actually. But I find it hilarious.

LevyathanShadows

Pokémon Veteran
Please add me! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that noticed this in the game.

I must admit that I think I fell for N myself part way through the game (what can I say, I fall for the troubled semi-villainous types) and since I play as the female character it kinda became fixed in my mind. As a few mentioned earlier I like how the game hints through the dialogue how much N cares for Touko, if not romantically, at least as someone who was a positive impact on his life he will never forget. Now I can only hope they expand their future together further in the next game >:D

^THIS. I'm really hopeless like that. I remember when I learned he was the King of Team Plasma I told my friend "If he weren't evil, I'd marry him." While obviously exaggerated, you can imagine how happy I was to notice he didn't at all seem as bad as he was supposed to be.

Now, I haven't actually finished the game yet, but I'm working my way to my seventh badge and I'm finding myself itching to continue in order to see how their relationship will develop. I think there's really a lot of potential there, because it seems like N has sort of started using Touko as his anchor to human society, I guess. I mean, he had the Shadow Triad bring her to him in the Chargestone Cave, and then he just randomly visited after the 6th Gym just to talk. Like I said, potential.

Also, am I the only one to find the way N just blurts out huge pieces of dialogue and then randomly walks off before anyone has a chance to reply rather hilarious?

Kaiserin

please wake up...
No. You're not the only one. Then again...I find everything about N rather hilarious. <.<

Aw, come on, he just has a very... unique definition of tact. :C And I mean, stomping off is the best way to not allow someone to reply and therefore have the upper hand in a conversation, am I right?

Jolty

Can I join? I came to like Ferriswheelshipping for a number of reasons/hints throughout the game, but here’s some of them (warning, I am about to ramble a LOT since I just played through the game again xD) --

The main thing I have to say overall, in addition to what people have said about Hilda being the one that changes N’s worldview (and could potentially teach him more as a sympathetic friend/love interest) is that throughout the game, while this big argument is going on between Team Plasma and the Gym Leaders and Cheren and other characters, there was this private dialogue between N and Hilda (or the male player character, but for this thread let’s say Hilda. N/Hilbert works too but I like Hilbert with Bianca, I think.) As the game progressed, yes, they were part of this larger debate too, but as things went on I began to feel that to the two of them, the answer that mattered most in this debate was the other person’s.

N desperately wanted Hilda to understand him and wished to test his beliefs against hers, as she was someone he came to respect and care about towards the end. Hilda wanted to help him and sway him away from his well-intentioned but misguided path because I think she recognized something special about him. While Team Plasma is clashing with Clay and Alder and other characters, N is taking Hilda away for one-on-one talks because she has become someone significant for him. There’s plenty o’ shipping material right there.

N obviously is going to be different and important from the start of the game. You see him aside from the crowd during Ghetsis’ speech in Accumula Town. He has a black baseball cap and the player has a white one—ying and yang theme much? Both become the heroes of the dragons and seem to be on opposing sides—yet Drayden and Iris say the dragons used to be a single pokemon and that they naturally get along. That seems to imply another sort of connection between N and Hilda as the chosen heroes of these two pokemon. Are they also meant to get along? Both with hearts kind to pokemon? Two of a kind? (Not to mention pink/red and green are complementary colors. Pink's just a lighter tint of red, and N's hair is a pretty light green at that. Hilda's hat, shoes, and bag have pink on them. x3 But anywho.)

I have to admit I didn’t find the actual ferris wheel scene that shippy. Don’t get me wrong, I think it was important for N—he was beginning to feel Hilda was significant, that she was different from the others, and sort of comes clean to her in that scene, admitting his true goals and allegiances. He doesn’t do that with any other character. But I’d say for Hilda, at least in my shoes, after he admits he’s Plasma’s King I began worrying I was going to be ambushed by Plasma grunts once we got to the bottom, or kidnapped by them for their plans. Yet I didn’t think for a second that N himself would harm Hilda. In fact, after that scene and the battle after, he never actually tries to get in Hilda’s way at all. He mostly encourages you, prompting you to try to follow after him if your convictions are true (and maybe he doesn't realize it, but I think he's trying to give you the chance to change him before he goes too far.)

N’s need to always talk to the player and sort of justify his feelings to her was a big hint along the way. He doesn’t feel compelled to do that with any other—just this kindred spirit he feels in Hilda. When he tells you his heart breaks a little, not just in general for kind trainers, but for ones specifically like you, I think I really began to think “okay, this guy likes her, even if he doesn’t really understand that he does.” In his own socially-unadjusted way. x3 You really begin to see that he means well, and even if he doesn’t really know how to talk to you, he wants to tell you how he feels in your one-on-one conversations.

Then in his Castle, I’d say his childhood room is a stronger moment for Hilda. She feels compassion and sympathy for him and maybe even anger on his behalf there, anger at Ghetsis for what he’s done to him. She wants to free him, let him see the good side of humans and the world. N tells you to heal up before you see him—and who are you healed by? Anthea, who tells you N knows in his heart by then that Plasma is wrong, but feels so conflicted that he must work out his feelings in battle with you. N sends you to her, perhaps not even knowing that she could tell you how he feels more clearly than he can.

The ending of the Plasma story clinches this shipping for me. Even though Plasma has “won” with N’s defeat of Alder, he goes against Ghetsis’ real wishes and allows you (and encourages you) to get the other dragon and come to meet him. Ghetsis doesn’t even believe the player CAN. N believes it strongly, saying he saw it in the future. He’s disappointed when you don’t have the dragon at first and don’t seem to be who he believed you were, and feels relieved when the dragon does appear (he also says he likes you a bit there, for added hints.) Having that battle with you was important to him. He needed to work that conflict out with you, with you as the only person who could help him see the truth. Alder's words to him fall on deaf ears, but you are the light that manages to break through and sway his feelings and beliefs for the better.

Then there’s also the part at the end where he encourages you to pursue your dreams, saying he believes if anyone could make their wishes come true, it’d be you. (What other “villain” cares what your dreams are?) He specifically asks her to wait after the Ghetsis battle so that they can speak alone (he also calls out her name in distress when Ghetsis said he was going to eliminate her, as if worried even though he is powerless to stop it when his pokemon are all fainted.) It’s pretty clear he really admires and cares for Hilda by then and wants her to have a good future. I don’t think he’s savvy enough with people to think that Hilda might want him to be any part of that future though (as a friend or eventually more), and probably doesn’t see himself as part of it despite liking her. It makes for a pretty tragic ending to Black/White. The fact that Hilda seeks out the sages after this, and that Looker tells her N is alive and well and was seen somewhere faraway as if it’s some sort of consolation to her, I think, also supports this. The sages say similar things when captured, implying in their statements that Hilda was special to N and changed him, etc.

Hilda, all in all, is the one person who was able to change his life and touched him more deeply with her connection to pokemon, and I think, her eventual connection to him. She saves him from being Ghetsis’ puppet king and allows him to see there is good out there. This all happens above the other characters’ heads—Hilda’s friends wonder who the heck N is, and Ghetsis thinks he can just use the player as a pawn, until the end when he’s shocked and angered that N encouraged/allowed them to get the dragon when their plans were almost complete. The two know they are special to one another in a rather subtle way that I was surprised to find in a pokemon game. It’s probably the best interaction/relationship/etc. that they’ve ever written in these games (and N probably the most developed character.)

[/end essay] xD

ShadowSinger777

Seer Of Truth
Hey, Can I join?
This is my absolute favorite shipping. I'm even writing my own fanfic for it.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7706513/1/Other_Half
Watch out people, it's going to be long. I past a new chapter every Monday.

What drew you to this shipping?
What? My weird working mind. I wanted to keep this game a surprise, so before it came out, I forbid myself from learning anything about the game. So when I arrived in Accumula and this green haired kid walks up, I'm like,
*jaw drop* So this the rival...
I see those things pretty fast.
Another thing my strange mind does really fast is to start seeing a rival shipping very fast. The shipping itself though, really clicked when he said farewell. See, music always gets me. And it seemed as if he was actually spilling his guts, opening up. Not to mention I'm a succer for Romeo & Juliet type things along with love-hate relationships and sob stories. Not to mention you could portray each of them in many different ways.
N being so inocent he doesn't know what a kiss is, to him being dark and cunning.
White being serious and headstrong, to gentle and knidly.
You could see it go so many ways...

Freed

Hoenn lover
Maximum support for this shipping.

I love how they unconsciously love each other u.u The end of game was so "NOW KISS", but didn't happen (FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF..)

but one day, Touko/White will find N again and both gonna marry and I will be there in the wedding, eating all the cake =D

Kameinu

Arooo!
Maximum support for this shipping.

I love how they unconsciously love each other u.u The end of game was so "NOW KISS", but didn't happen (FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF..)

but one day, Touko/White will find N again and both gonna marry and I will be there in the wedding, eating all the cake =D

Sarcasm, amirite? Amirite? =D

If not..well. Let's say I'd rather have Kyurem freeze the world and eat N as a popsicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.