• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Festivities in Unova

Hello dear reader! So firstly I’m gonna apologise for not updating my other fics because I have no motivation ;_;. But I do have something! I decided I’d make a little festive spiel for the season, focusing on Unova. It’s less one huge fic and more several mostly disconnected sketches, if you will. It’s a little cheesy and maybe not my best work, but I was in the mood for cheesy festive interactions! I just kinda want to make people feel what I like to call “festive fuzzies” with this piece, so yeah, it’s not that emotional or anything, but just some light fun! If you want a time stamp for this piece, I like to think it happens a little over a year after BW and about six months before B2W2. So I uhh hope you enjoy!

Festivities in Unova

- - - - - - - - - -

The evening has settled around Unova. The vivid, indigo sky suspends all the stars in the air, and together they make the bitter cold night beautiful. Somewhere, deep in the Giant Chasm, a small Pokemon lifts his head from a deep slumber. Slowly, he shifts onto his feet, careful to remain quiet so that he doesn’t disturb any of its brethren.

The Giant Chasm is disturbingly eerie around this time of day. The murky darkness has emerged from the shadows in the cave areas, and only the nocturnal Zubats make noise - a disturbing, high-pitched whine that only adds to the atmosphere. But the Pokemon doesn’t care that much. He’s done this walk many times before, and he isn’t going to stop anytime soon. The Pokemon’s light footfall disturbs nobody, to the Pokemon’s relief, as he reaches the exit to the cave.

Somewhere, a Murkrow is singing to call her mate over, but aside from that and the occasional rustling of grass, the outside is just as quiet as indoors. The Pokemon smiles gently to himself, holding his sack with one of his wings.

It’s time for the Delibird to give all the Pokemon in Unova the presents they deserve.

- - - - - - - - - -

A young girl stands in Nimbasa City’s theatre, a beam on her face as she looks down at her Mincinno. With a tilt of the head she remarks “oh, Mine! You look so pretty in that bow, don’t you think? Here, look in this mirror!”

The grey Normal Type stares at her own reflection, where she can see a hand-sewn bow made to mimic some holly. She runs to give her owner a warm embrace, where the two of them hold each other with smiles on their faces. The girl turns suddenly as a man walks through the reception. “Anyone taking part in today’s Christmas musical, please may you make your way to the changing rooms!”

The girl stares back down at her Pokemon. “Oh! It’s us! Come on, Mine! We’re gonna show Mum and Dad how well we can do this! Yeah, nobody can stop us!”

- - - - - - - - - - -

Striaton City is abuzz with life. Pokemon trainers set to make their best Christmas gift a badge from the gym, local civilians visiting each other’s houses to give small presents as signs of gratitude, and most importantly, the restaurant is packed with people eager to try the Christmas Yule log special.

The triplets who own both the gym and the restaurant finally have a moment to take a break, and in the kitchen they collectively sigh. Cress frowns under his dark blue hair. “How are we supposed to keep up this effort for the next several hours? I thought that Christmas this year would be simple and calm like it always has been, but now both my potions store and pantry have been completely exhausted.”

Cilan just shrugs. Chili perks up, although not by much. “I dunno. It was our choice to run two popular buildings simultaneously. Maybe we can close early today?”

A small pause, before Cilan murmurs something. “Sounds good. I feel like I’m about to fall over. And I bet I have at least five star cookies from various neighbours this year. They’ll go stale quick if I don’t eat them soon and they’re left in their packing in the letterbox.”

Cress grins as Cilan give a little smile. “That’s because you want the food, isn’t it? Nevermind, I feel ya. Let’s get these last orders out and then relax for Christmas this year.”

- - - - - - - - - - - -

“And that concludes our Christmas special! Christoph-“

“And Nancy-“

“Signing off!”

The man behind the camera fiddles with one of the buttons, before giving the thumbs up that they were off air. The two teens relax their muscles, both glad they won’t have to stand in the freezing cold any longer. UnovaTV had decided to take their two most bankable presenters to the colossal Christmas tree in Castelia City’s town square for a special on the cultural influence Christmas has had on the city, before an interview with the Gym Leader of said city on his views on the holiday. While it had been fun to take a visit to the Castelia museum and then the gym, both Curtis and Yancy were completely exhausted.

The former combed his fingers through his hair as he walked past the cameraman. “Brilliant. Let’s pack up for today. Once that’s done, if the producer doesn’t mind, Yancy and I will go to my place for the evening together.”

Yancy joins him at his side. “He said it. Our families are having a joint celebration since my house is still under renovations.”

The producer, a lean woman with a sharp smile, nods. “Sounds good to me. Curtis, you go with Dean to help with the camera. Yancy, you can give me a hand with the ringlight.”

The two nod, but before they get to work they pull two packages each out of their pockets. Yancy speaks for them. “Oh, I almost forgot. The two of us got some small presents for each of you. As part of rounding up our first year working together and all.”

The woman blinks for a second, only to beam. “Why, thank you! You two really are kind.”

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Nacrene City is peaceful at this time of evening. One or two straggling tourists are being gently shooed out of the Unova Geological History Museum, but other than them, the normal humdrum is all but absent.

As Lenora politely waves goodbye to the final tourist, she makes to close the door, but a voice calling her names makes her pause. A man comes running to the door, a small package in his arms. “Lenora, wait! Keep the door open.”

She raises an eyebrow. “What is it, Burgh? Make sure it’s worth it or I may have to treat you like those tourists just now.”

He slows down as he reaches her, exhaustion clear in his body posture. “I came to deliver my present for you. I know I could’ve delivered it in the post, but the Castelia postal service had a sudden lockdown and I couldn’t do that so I had to rush here after an interview. And yes, I know I said it’d be a picture, but I had another Artist’s Block and couldn’t think of anything-“

“Hey, calm down.” Lenora holds out a hand. “Come on, you look shattered. You don’t need to worry about the present, and you can stay overnight at my place if it’s too much for you to get back to Castelia in the dark and the snow. I even picked up a chocolate Yule log from the triplets in Striaton earlier if you want to have a piece of that.”

Burgh gives a tired smile, and accepts her open hand with his own. “You’re too kind, Lenora.”

- - - - - - - - - - -

Skyla is sitting in the theatre’s VIP box as she stares out. She has deliberately arranged her cargo schedule today so that she both has time to watch this musical and so she has time later to celebrate Christmas, and right now she is doing the former.

The crowd applaud the young girl with her Mincinno who has just performed the lead part in a song called “Delibird is Coming to Town”. As her and the other performers leave the stage for the next act to happen, Skyla holds her breath in excitement. This is why she’s here, after all.

The stage lights go out, only for a deep bass to begin playing to an upbeat rhythm. The lights switch back on as the melody kicks in to reveal a woman and a man that cause the whole audience, Skyla included, to cheer. Elesa and Brycen, two of Skyla’s closest friends and the most popular gym leaders in all of Unova, are standing side-by-side in gold and silver outfits. They stare at each other and nod, before beginning their segment with such phenomenal skills that it blows Skyla back completely. Skyla knows that Brycen was the one who taught Elesa, who is normally just a model, how to do this complex musical piece under her request, but Skyla had no idea she’d pick it up this fast.

Skyla watches the performance and gives her loudest applause once it is over, and swears she can see Elesa give her a little wink before she and Brycen make their way off stage. After some time the two of them join her in the VIP box as the rest of the musical happens, and they spend the time non-stop talking in excitement. Skyla’s incredibly happy, and she’s sure that Elesa and Brycen are too.

- - - - - - - - - - -

“Oh, grandfather! It’s a dragon pendant! Thank you so much!”

Drayden smiles at his adoptive granddaughter, though she can’t tell from his thick beard. “It’s nothing, Iris. You deserve it after becoming champion a few months ago. And you especially deserve it after you gave me that Star Piece!”

The two smile for a moment, only for a sharp knock to interrupt them. Iris jumps to the door. “I’ll get it!”

She opens it up, only to find Caitlin and Shauntal, her fellow Elite Four members, at the door. Caitlin politely waves while keeping her other arm behind her back, while Shauntal smiles and speaks. “Merry Christmas, Iris! We thought we’d pop by to say hello, and give you something from us!”

Caitlin produces what she was hiding - a firm package which Iris recognises the shape of. “Wait, is this...?”

She opens the wrapping to find a book, titled “Truth and Ideals: The Clash of Opposites”. Iris looks back at her friends, a smile on her face. “Shauntal’s new book,” Caitlin explains, “with cover illustration by me. You get it for free, a good couple of weeks before release.”

Iris’ smile has become a beam. “Oh, you guys! I can’t believe it! Thanks so much!”

Drayden looks at the three girls from his position, glad Iris was happy. He never particularly celebrated Christmas before Iris started living with him - the corporate side of it isn’t to his tastes, and he isn’t particularly religious either - but he still gives people presents to make their special day even better. He has no regrets at all.

- - - - - - - - - - -

“Whew, that was a good battle! You did well there, but I guess I still have the upper hand when it comes to battles, even when you have the advantage, don’t I?”

Marshal looks back at his opponent. “Don’t taunt me, Grimsley. You know it’s only a matter of time.”

Grimsley stares at him with a sly grin. “Oh, do I really know that? No, I don’t think so.”

Marshal groans, but he’s hiding a grin of his own. Grimsley may be infuriating at times, but he’s really a good guy. Not to mention that his snide remarks are quite the motivation to get better at battling. Grimsley continues. “Anyway, now that we’ve done our training session for today, it’s time to have some of that sweet, sweet relaxation time at home, don’t you think? Especially at this time of year.”

Marshal shrugged. “Leave, if you want. But when we return to this battlefield as foes, know that I will be the one to come out on top!”

Grimsley shrugged as he left. “And you know that I sent you a certain TM this Christmas to help you do that!”

- - - - - - - - - - -

A nameless girl finds her way round the new Victory Road. There are still trainers she passes, yet due to the day there are much fewer than normal. However, the girl has already celebrated this year, and now has something else to do - even through the stabbing wind that hurts her cheeks with the cold.

She navigates through a small woods, careful to avoid everyone else’s eyes, and finds herself in a cave. She switches on a torch, and runs her hand along the wall to find where the opening is. After some time, she finds it, and shines her light onto some marble steps. Those steps lead to a ruined castle, and then a ruined throne room, and she follows the path as it is laid out. And there, before her, is a gaping hole in the wall that lets the evening sun beam down onto her face. She stares out, a sad look in her eyes.

She says it aloud, even though there is nobody to catch her words. “Where are you right now? What are you doing? I know you can’t hear me, but... I can’t help wanting to know. Do you celebrate Christmas?”

She looks back around to check that nobody is watching her and thinking she is insane - although it’s a somewhat pointless fear, since nobody ever finds this place except her - before returning to her speech. “Well, I... I just wanted to wish you a happy Christmas, wherever you are. I’ll just... leave this here.”

She knows it’ll never be received, but she leaves a small envelope by the hole, in a small nook so that it can’t be blown away by any strong drafts. She then hesitates, thinking of whether she should say something else, but eventually decides against it, leaving the room to start catching dust once more.

- - - - - - - - - - -

A man stands in a throne room, a glorious white dragon beside him. A glint of white catches his eye, and he decides to quickly check what it is before continuing his mission. It’s an envelope, ever so slightly muddied and damp, with the ink looking to be about half a year old. The envelope says “If you find this” on it in neat handwriting. The man feels kind of rude opening the letter without knowing if it was his own, but it’s not like anyone else’s name was on it. There are only four words on the paper inside.

“Thank you. Merry Christmas.”

Last edited:

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
Heya Nerdy! Ooh, a cheery Christmasy one-shot?

First of all, the way you've set this up give it such a casual tone that it feels immensely realistic, and is just the kind of thing I love in writing like this. You know that I adore Gen 5, and the characters are my favourites, so it's obvious that I was going to enjoy this. That said, I think you nailed every character that you crammed in here - I particularly liked Cilan's brief moments, and am I mistaken, or are the final two White and N? I assume so. Also, I think starting off with the Delibird in the Giant Chasm was a great start, although, I'll admit, I got a teensy bit excited at the mention of the Chasm, thinking that there'd be something on Kyurem. The only critique I have, and it's a very personal nitpick, is that neither Cheren, nor Bianca made an appearance. I think you could have done a nice little interaction between those two, or maybe even individually, but Cheren and Bianca love aside, it was a fantastic little piece that really made me warm inside and geared me up for Christmas! Merry Christmas, Nerdy, and keep up the brilliant work; you have a knack for writing, so don't hesitate to write as much as you can!

I love pieces like this, and I thought this was really well-written! You nail the casual, light-hearted atmosphere in this, and I thought that made the build-up to the last two pieces much more effective.

And man, those last two segments were worth the wait! Hilda and N’s dynamic will always be one of the most interesting character dynamics of Pokemon for me, and you portrayed it very effectively here. How you do so in a rather quiet and muted way only made those last two scenes much more effective, and they were definitely my favorite of the bunch.

That doesn’t take away from the other segments, though! Like I said, the light-hearted tone that pervades throughout the fic really works in making it a good read, and the interactions between these characters felt very real for the most part. The Marshal-Grimsley segment caught my eye for being a bit different from the rest, but still keeping that light-hearted feel even if it was a much more intense scene. I also like that first segment with the girl and her Minccino.

One thing that I thought could use some improvement was the dialogue of some of your characters. The Lenora-Burgh exchange in particular didn’t feel as natural as I thought it could be, in that the two’s dialogue felt a bit stiff, and the scene with Curtis and Yancy giving out the presents read a bit odd to me, especially that last bit about them being kind. Comparing that to Marshal and Grimsley’s dialogue and the triplets’ exchanges, I think you can improve the interactions in those two segments a bit better.

Re-reading it I was also wondering what happened to the very first scene with the Delibird since it didn’t seem like it was brought up again, but I kept reminding myself that this was more disconnected vignettes than anything. Still, you do have some semblance of connection with the girl and the Minccino and obviously Hilda and N, so that only magnified the question.

But that didn’t take away from the story, which I did think was very sweet and executed its project rather well. Good job with it! :)

Ok, I’m gonna say upfront that I thought this fic had been completely buried by all the Yuletide stuff, so it makes me happy that somebody else has reviewed it! I already replied to TikTok through VM, so I’ll just stick to Dramatic Melody’s review.

I love pieces like this, and I thought this was really well-written! You nail the casual, light-hearted atmosphere in this, and I thought that made the build-up to the last two pieces much more effective.

And man, those last two segments were worth the wait! Hilda and N’s dynamic will always be one of the most interesting character dynamics of Pokemon for me, and you portrayed it very effectively here. How you do so in a rather quiet and muted way only made those last two scenes much more effective, and they were definitely my favorite of the bunch.

Thanks! Part of me knew that I wanted the last section of the piece to hold some more emotional weight than the others, so I kept an eye on how light or dark the other parts were to keep them happy. I also didn’t want the last part to be too sad, though, since it was nearly Christmas and all, so instead I tried to go with a more bittersweet feel. I’m happy you enjoyed it!

That doesn’t take away from the other segments, though! Like I said, the light-hearted tone that pervades throughout the fic really works in making it a good read, and the interactions between these characters felt very real for the most part. The Marshal-Grimsley segment caught my eye for being a bit different from the rest, but still keeping that light-hearted feel even if it was a much more intense scene. I also like that first segment with the girl and her Minccino.

As a matter of fact, the Marshal-Grimsley part was one of my favourites to write, mainly for Grimsley since I had quite a bit of fun with his dialogue. I had never really thought of how the Male Unova elite four members would be together until I wrote this, and I ended up going “Hey, they could actually be quite good bros!”

And I’m happy you liked the Minccino bit too! I’d kind of expect it from you since your one-shots almost always focus on those background NPCs that nobody else notices, but it’s still awesome!

One thing that I thought could use some improvement was the dialogue of some of your characters. The Lenora-Burgh exchange in particular didn’t feel as natural as I thought it could be, in that the two’s dialogue felt a bit stiff, and the scene with Curtis and Yancy giving out the presents read a bit odd to me, especially that last bit about them being kind. Comparing that to Marshal and Grimsley’s dialogue and the triplets’ exchanges, I think you can improve the interactions in those two segments a bit better.

I did kinda have a few struggles with those two scenes, I will admit. For the most part dialogue isn’t really my thing unless it’s comedy dialogue, which is why my one-shots other than this one and The Brightest People tend to be in first person focusing on memories rather than what’s happening, and just about all of my shipping Drabbles that I actually like and aren’t embarrassed about except one have no proper dialogue at all.

Re-reading it I was also wondering what happened to the very first scene with the Delibird since it didn’t seem like it was brought up again, but I kept reminding myself that this was more disconnected vignettes than anything. Still, you do have some semblance of connection with the girl and the Minccino and obviously Hilda and N, so that only magnified the question.

The Delibird bit was just kind of a way to set the festive atmosphere, tbh. I didn’t think about it too much, and it turns out I might’ve needed to think about that a bit more XD

But that didn’t take away from the story, which I did think was very sweet and executed its project rather well. Good job with it! :)

Thanks! I’m really glad you enjoyed it, and happy extremely late Christmas!