• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fic ideas V.2

I've been working on this fic idea (mostly the worldbuilding) for the past few days and would love some feedback.

One of my favorite things about writing is looking at the world and its uniqueness. It's why I love Pokemon so much. Sadly, one of the things that drives me up the wall about Pokemon is the fact that it has so many worldbuilding holes. The newer games have done a bit better at explaining a bit more about the world, but a lot is up for interpretation and that's where I come in. I want to write a fic about the government of the Pokemon nation. I'm going to be grabbing ideas from all the different Pokemon canons: Anime, Manga, Games, and even Headcanons

The story will revolve around a decent trainer as he ends up joining the labyrinthine bureaucracy of the Pokemon Association. I'm imagining the Pokemon Association has a bit of a Federal Government of sorts connecting all the Pokemon regions (yes, even Fiore, Almia, and Oblivia since the Ranger Union is actually an agency run by the Pokemon Association). The Pokemon Association is a bit odd since it has its beginnings as a centralized authority for battling and as a Pokemon Rights group. But something happened to the actual governments of the various regions (I have no idea what) and stepped up to provide a central authority. It's only purpose is to create laws regarding Inter-Regional commerce and travel and create laws around Pokemon. But since Pokemon are pretty much the main economic force in the Pokemon world, the Pokemon Association has a lot of power.

I would go into more detail, but would love to hear what people think of the basis of the idea first before I delve into the hierarchy and running of the Pokemon Association.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
I can't really think of any plot for Eighteen Elements... maybe a "go to place, defeat a big legendary" plot? Also, I think Eighteen Elements needs a better name...

Last edited:

Creepychu

The horror
diamondpearl876

I keep running into the issue of me offering "limited information". :( I admit I'm not very good at writing out plot points or character descriptions bit by bit--usually I don't have to think so hard about what I want to do with the story--but I felt that what I had written for Kephi was actually worse than this (in terms of vagueness and content) and I did want to keep the original near-death experience premise, so I tried it out.

Ah, I didn't mean to say that you're being overly vague or anything. It's more a turn of phrase I use to emphasize that I'm coming at this from my own viewpoint, which means I don't necessarily see all the ways this scene would connect back to other scenes in your story, so writing choices that might not make sense to me might make sense to you since you'd know your intentions for it better than I would, and conversely solutions that seem reasonable to me might not fit what you want to get out of it.

Basically, it's just a reminder to stick to your guns in the places that are important to what you're trying to get across with this scene.

Okay, I've thought about this a bit more and would like to update.

Kephi's general backstory:

Kephi's past trainer, a licensed hunter from Unova, captured Kephi for his poison-typing. He taught Kephi to hone his poison-type attacks so that, should one of his hunting prey didn't die immediately, Kephi could inject a fast-killing poison to prevent the prey from dying a slower and more painful death. Eventually the trainer ended up having his hunter license revoked for accidentally hunting outside of the designated territory. When he continued to hunt anyway, the police sent out a warrant for his arrest.

Kephi's past trainer took him to Sinnoh, hoping to escape the arrest and also to obtain a hunting license in a region that wouldn't know what he had done. To prevent his license from being revoked again, he pays a breeder for a pokemon that is already strong and meant for battling (Leann). If his hunting license is on the line for another accident, he could try to argue that an accident happened during a pokemon battle rather than during a hunting incident. He does not train Kephi to be a battling pokemon to save time and also because of the negative stereotypes surrounding poison-types in LaON.

In LaON, it has already been established that Kephi has always wanted to be a battling pokemon. He trains himself when Annie doesn't focus on him, asks her to battle consistently and also encourages her to challenge the gym circuit. That said, I would say Kephi would admire Leann for her strength and would try to form a friendship with her. He learns several further things about her, such as her dedication, how tough battles have taught her to appreciate life more, etc.

As far as the practicalities of the scene itself you mentioned... I would forget the strangling idea because, as you said, it's highly implausible. I did go ahead and consider your proposed alternatives. I would say that another accident does happen, one in which Leann is the victim instead of the prey the trainer was trying to hunt. The wound is fatal and the trainer wants to implement a quick death, just as he would for any other pokemon. He knows, however, that Kephi is close with her and tells Kephi that he'll do it himself. Essentially Kephi asks himself, "What would Leann do in this situation, if she could do anything about it?" He comes to the conclusion that she'd do anything to keep herself alive, and thus tries to persuade the trainer to reconsider. I imagine the trainer as a strict, sergeant type trainer, and so I also imagine him refusing Kephi and scolding him for not following the standard protocol they've always followed. Kephi snaps and attacks him. Since he has not had formal training outside of poison, he feels no other choice but to use his poison-type attacks.

As you said, treatment would be first and foremost on the trainer's mind. From what I know, what should first be done is to try to dilute the poison with water. Assuming they're in a forest-like area, a lake would be nearby. The trainer tries to dilute the poison. if Kephi's predator instincts kick in and he's relentless, is it plausible for the trainer to "punish" him with suffocation, with the justification that he might also dilute the poison inside of Kephi? If this isn't plausible, what other ways can I maintain the near-death experience?

The rest stays the same (ie the hallucination of him killing her instead, the psychology of that being his desensitization to other peoples' experiences happening as a coping mechanism), except Leann would have to rescued and taken care of at a pokemon center as well, though she'd leave the hospital before Kephi and thus the two would still be separated and her whereabouts would be unknown.

Alright, let's have a look.

On the whole, continuing to hunt without a license after his strike seems like the only odd choice for the hunter's backstory, though given his methods, it's not too hard to swallow that he'd be operating a little bit outside strictly appropriate hunting methods. He may already have been pushing the rules of his license itself, after all, and it definitely provides a motive for suddenly wanting to visit a whole different region. On the whole, that's easy enough to write in a way that checks out. Likewise for wanting poison on hand for a quick kill, since I get the impression that he's more of a trophy hunter and wasn't planning to sell the meat. If the wounded pokémon thrashes about, they might end up damaging whatever it was he was trying to take off them after all. Having Leann as a kind of role model/subject of admiration seems like a cute idea that you could do a lot of things with, so that all seems to check out just fine.

As for the practicalities, rinsing out the wound and trying to wash away/dilute as much of the poison as possible is the first step yeah, other quick response being to wrap an ice pack around the wound so the veins contract and circulation slows, limiting the spread of the poison. Stronger poisons still need proper treatment though, and though he'd probably have a shot of appropriate anti-venom handy for these sorts of things, he'd definitely still want to hit up a hospital ASAP to have it properly rinsed. First aid measures are mostly a stalling tactic where poisons are concerned.

For the asphyxiation, if he's enough of a piece of work to do it, maybe with some very specific precautions, though I'm not sure he'd want to try his luck after just getting stung. A poison or steel type pokémon could do it for him easy enough, but that'd be introducing a whole extra character so that's kind of a non-starter practicality-wise. The other option is to simply have something heavy on top of Kephi; the weight would press down on his lungs and prevent him from breathing properly, which would have the same net effect. One approach for that would be having whatever big creature took Leann down collapse onto Kephi and just suffocate him through sheer body mass (maybe it wasn't quite dead yet and it was some final act, maybe Kephi tried to pull Leann out from beneath it after he chased the hunter off and ended up having the thing collapse on himself instead). Other possible things that could asphyxiate you would be fire or smoke, but those aren't really part of the scenario here, so if you think you can pull off the water angle in a convincing way, by all means go for it.

On the whole, it sounds like you're getting a decent enough game plan together, so I'd suggest just going ahead and trying to write this scene out with what you have in mind. If what you have planned doesn't work out mechanically, it should become pretty obvious to you as you are writing it. Plus, writing it out will help you find your confidence with the parts of the backstory that do click for you, which should get you a more solid basis to figure out the rest from and put quite a few of your doubts to rest in the process.

TyRush

Setting- and focus-wise, that all sounds quite interesting to me. I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to headcanon my way through question like this myself, so I'm always interested in seeing how other people approach the subject. With how vague and non-commital canon is on the topic, there's definitely a ton of fertile ground for world stories.

The only thing I'm really left wondering is what kind of plot you had in mind to go with this. Trainer ends up working inside the bureaucratic system is a fair enough starting point, but whether or not it makes for an interesting story is going to depend a lot on whether that trainer is interesting enough as a person or has motivations compelling enough to make us invested in following them through that process. Of course, that's likely part of the more detail that you haven't gone into yet, but without details on the plot and/or character(s) it's hard to say much beyond that it could be interesting.

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Okay... For the first time ever, I'm gonna post here on something I'm thinking of because...I have no one else to talk to on this.

I've been meaning to do a Megaman Zero fanfiction for a while and...I have two ideas. One being a prompt from the Fan Fiction Quarterly. The idea Leviathan (a girl Reploid general) misinterprets Harpuia (a guy Reploid general, and "brother") and that's it... I don't have any ideas for in between. I realize that what I'm saying is basically asking to help write the story, so I'll ask this: What can possibly be misinterpretted as romantic love? I seriously can't think of anything...

I have another idea, but I'll edit (or later post) it here when I have the time.

diamondpearl876

TyRush

Setting- and focus-wise, that all sounds quite interesting to me. I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to headcanon my way through question like this myself, so I'm always interested in seeing how other people approach the subject. With how vague and non-commital canon is on the topic, there's definitely a ton of fertile ground for world stories.

The only thing I'm really left wondering is what kind of plot you had in mind to go with this. Trainer ends up working inside the bureaucratic system is a fair enough starting point, but whether or not it makes for an interesting story is going to depend a lot on whether that trainer is interesting enough as a person or has motivations compelling enough to make us invested in following them through that process. Of course, that's likely part of the more detail that you haven't gone into yet, but without details on the plot and/or character(s) it's hard to say much beyond that it could be interesting.

Yeah, I have more plot ideas for the character. The writing will be a bit tongue in cheek. He's going to be glad he's working with Pokemon still in the Pokemon Association, but he's glad he's not living the fast and loose life of a traveling trainer anymore. That is until his various responsibilities force him to end up getting swept up in Pokemon world craziness.

Hey, does anyone remember this old thing? Well, it's time to bring it back, because I have a crazy idea.

I've started to notice that having characters travel to another dimension is kind of a thing I like to do. I don't know, I like it when characters are out of their element.

You know what game already does that? Fire Emblem: Awakening. The entire second half of the game centers on the Shepherds recruiting the children of members who had gotten married and had traveled across dimensions to stop their grim future from happening. Hell, the DLC stuff gives that concept a name: the Outrealms. So dimensional travel is a staple part of that game's lore. And the Risen, the main antagonists of the game, are also present in these realms?

So what if, somehow, the blight of the Risen was able to reach a realm that was very different from that of Ylisse or Valm? Someplace like...Ransei?

I think it would be absolutely fascinating to see the Shepherds try to navigate the world of Pokémon: Conquest. Just the thought of them seeing a world in which the weapons that are normally used pale in comparison to intelligent, loyal creatures trained for combat fascinates me. How would they react? Would some of them adapt to the concept, and try to find a Pokémon for themselves? Who would be against that thought process? How would the Shepherds mesh with the warlord culture so prevalent in that game? What if Nobunaga showed up and caused trouble? Would Grima itself have an impact? Who knows, but I really want to try this out. Let me know if you have any suggestions for things to look for, as I'm still in the research part of preparing for this monster.

Spiteful Murkrow

Early Game Encounter
So what if, somehow, the blight of the Risen was able to reach a realm that was very different from that of Ylisse or Valm? Someplace like...Ransei?

I think it would be absolutely fascinating to see the Shepherds try to navigate the world of Pokémon: Conquest. Just the thought of them seeing a world in which the weapons that are normally used pale in comparison to intelligent, loyal creatures trained for combat fascinates me.

Whether or not the weapons pale in comparison is entirely up to how you'd interpret them. There's some folklore in the mainline games that suggests that being a swordsman wouldn't be total suicide even in the Pokemon world, and I'm fairly certain that a decent mage in Fire Emblem could toe the line well against a Pokemon, which given their abilities might as well be mages that speak funny.

How would they react? Would some of them adapt to the concept, and try to find a Pokémon for themselves?

That would probably depend on how they got there, but Pokemon is different enough from Fire Emblem that it would almost certainly be an initial shock. I think the latter would more or less be a given if your cross-over's more than a one-shot, since characters across canons interacting with each other is fundamental to such a premise. In terms of in-character motivations, I can't imagine that Crom or Robin would pass up on the chance to wield loyal and durable units, especially when they figure out that they'd be reasonably easy to recruit.

How would the Shepherds mesh with the warlord culture so prevalent in that game?

I think the cast of Awakening would actually adapt reasonably well to a setting like Ransei. They already have experience with warlords and cultures that lend themselves to creating warlords (Ferox for a friendly example, Valm for one that is less so).

What if Nobunaga showed up and caused trouble?

I can't speak for how he's portrayed in Conquest, but based off of what I know about Nobunaga from history courses, he would more or less be Walhart. Since the angle of 'ruthless, ever-expanding conquest' is more or less identical to Nobunaga's M.O. when he was alive (minus the god complex).

Would Grima itself have an impact?

That would depend on if Grima is awake for the events of your fic, and how you'd scale Grima's power to Ransei.

All in all, it sounds like it might be a fun concept to see, and I can think of a friend who would probably get a kick out of any yarn that came from this idea. I think the core step to take beyond what you have if you're serious about the idea would be to try and develop a scenario for it.

Last edited:

Creepychu

The horror
PhalanxSigil

I'm not familiar with the particular plot of Awakening, but unless Pegasus/Wyvern Knights have been pruned from the class list, it's not like facing big, loyal beasts in combat is exactly unheard of. I can't picture soldiers that have no qualms going up against a full-grown wyvern with an armed and armored rider standing in shock and awe at the sight of your average warlord minion unleashing a Bidoof or Petilil into the fray. Now obviously some pokémon might strike a more imposing figure and special ones like psychic types could certainly catch them off guard, but when you take a wyvern (let alone a proper dragon) as a measuring stick, quite a few pokémon are not going to seem that intimidating or even alien by comparison.

The presupposition that pokémon partners are simply superior to conventional combat training is also pretty dubious, since it leaves the unarmed human party of the duo as an obvious and open target. A skilled Assassin or Sniper could easily drop potentially threatening warlords before their pokémon even hit the field, and human-to-human the ones with extensive weapons training are going to have a pretty obvious advantage over the ones who don't have it. It should of course also go without saying that mages and priests bring their own advantage to fire emblem-style armies, partly in providing a counterpoint to pokémon special attacks and more pertinently in providing an advantage pokémon don't have through healing magic being able to patch up even severe wounds right on the battlefield. People from the Fire Emblem universe have a lot more to bring to the table than just ordinary weapons and already have their own traditions for taming strong creatures for use in warfare, so to be honest, wouldn't the culture shock be far stronger for the people in Ransei? Pokémon abilities might come off as a surprise at first encounter, but they can fairly easily be rationalized away as just another kind of Dragon/Griffon/Pegasus/Wyvern (possibly one with magical abilities) whereas the people from Pokémon Conquest's world would suddenly have to wrap their heads around the concept of humans wielding magic, something to which there is no clean substitute in their universe. I'd also expect characters who already have experience with interdimensional travel to be a bit more adjusted to encountering concepts and cultures that are alien to them, especially when compared to people who for the most part haven't event ventured outside their home continent. Ransei is pretty blatantly based on feudal Japan, and feudal Japan was about as insular and xenophobic as countries came.

To put it a bit more concisely, I think you should try to look at what these two very different universes coming into contact would imply for both sides of the exchange and also keep in mind that Fire Emblem is a pretty high-magic fantasy setting, complete with its own native mystical creatures and phenomena. Points of commonality (and ways in which both sides would try to rationalize the oddities of the other) are just as important for a fish-out-of-water type scenario as the differences between the two, and when you're writing crossover, it's the points of common ground that usually yield the best plot material.

So yeah, I think there's plenty of fertile ground for a crossover between the two and Ransei is certainly a region that could use more meat on its bones world-building wise, but without a more focused scenario I can't really say much more than that one way or the other.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the advice, you two! I'll definitely keep these suggestions in the back of my head. Here, I just want to address a few of the things you've said, as there are a ton of good points here.

Spiteful Murkrow

Whether or not the weapons pale in comparison is entirely up to how you'd interpret them. There's some folklore in the mainline games that suggests that being a swordsman wouldn't be total suicide even in the Pokemon world, and I'm fairly certain that a decent mage in Fire Emblem could toe the line well against a Pokemon, which given their abilities might as well be mages that speak funny.

Both you and Creepychu mentioned this, and I feel I need to explain what I mean by "pale in comparison." In Ransei, people don't use traditional weapons, as Pokémon are around. It's kinda like the mainline Pokémon games. I never meant that the Fire Emblem weaponry would be inferior in any way. That's just the situation for the Ransei natives. Learning how the warlords would also cope with FE weapons and tactics is something I really want to put in the story too.

That would probably depend on how they got there, but Pokemon is different enough from Fire Emblem that it would almost certainly be an initial shock. I think the latter would more or less be a given if your cross-over's more than a one-shot, since characters across canons interacting with each other is fundamental to such a premise. In terms of in-character motivations, I can't imagine that Crom or Robin would pass up on the chance to wield loyal and durable units, especially when they figure out that they'd be reasonably easy to recruit.

Not only is it a given that some of the Shepherds will obtain Pokémon, but I've already started the process of figuring out which one works best for which Shepherd. Believe me, that's gonna be fun.

That would depend on if Grima is awake for the events of your fic, and how you'd scale Grima's power to Ransei.

Trust me, I've thought about this long and hard. In terms of story progression, it's near the endgame. Grima is up and wreaking havoc. And considering the Risen's presence in the Outrealms, it's safe to assume that they'd become more powerful now that their master is awake.

Creepychu

I can't picture soldiers that have no qualms going up against a full-grown wyvern with an armed and armored rider standing in shock and awe at the sight of your average warlord minion unleashing a Bidoof or Petilil into the fray.

That's a good point, but what many Pokémon lack in an opposing figure, they make for in outlandish abilities and intelligence. I've already thought of a few ways in which the Shepherds will encounter a Pokémon that looks harmless, and yet does something that no one expects, and potentially throws them for a loop.

wouldn't the culture shock be far stronger for the people in Ransei? Pokémon abilities might come off as a surprise at first encounter, but they can fairly easily be rationalized away as just another kind of Dragon/Griffon/Pegasus/Wyvern (possibly one with magical abilities) whereas the people from Pokémon Conquest's world would suddenly have to wrap their heads around the concept of humans wielding magic, something to which there is no clean substitute in their universe.

...I actually didn't consider that. That's COOL! I hadn't looked at the issue from that angle, and it sounds really interesting.

I'd also expect characters who already have experience with interdimensional travel to be a bit more adjusted to encountering concepts and cultures that are alien to them

Not exactly. Yes, the Shepherds have explored the Outrealms before, but for the most part, the places they've encountered are very similar to their own, if not almost completely identical. Ransei will still be very strange to them. Although yeah, I do agree that the Ransei inhabitants would have a more difficult time reconciling what the Shepherds bring to the table.

without a more focused scenario I can't really say much more than that one way or the other.

This is the one thing i need to focus on the most. The world building will be fun, but I do agree I need to narrow down why this is happening. If you've played the Future Past DLC stuff, you'll know that Naga does occasionally call the Shepherds to intervene in situations in which Grima is prevailing in its quest to destroy a universe. It will definitely start in a similar fashion, but I do need to determine what happens from there. I've got quite a bit of work to in terms of plot, I'm aware, but at least it's a start.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll definitely keep them in mind.

TeamUniverse12

Team Universe Boss
For a while now, I've been thinking of something like a sort of Jurassic Park in Pokemon, though I haven't got much other than that. The original idea I had was the park would have Pokemon they way they were before being trained by human, basically ferocious and bloodthirsty. Now though, I kind of want to do it with Fossil Pokemon, as that would probably fit the overall 'Jurassic Park' theme better.

For a while now, I've been thinking of something like a sort of Jurassic Park in Pokemon, though I haven't got much other than that. The original idea I had was the park would have Pokemon they way they were before being trained by human, basically ferocious and bloodthirsty. Now though, I kind of want to do it with Fossil Pokemon, as that would probably fit the overall 'Jurassic Park' theme better.

Ah, I just had to respond to this. I had an idea to do a fic like this about three years ago, but never got around to it.

Anyways, I would think that it would be more original if it were before the Pokémon had been trained, since using the fossil Pokémon seems entirely too expected, and rather limited in it's scope, unless you plan on having variants of the fossil Pokémon due to extensive changes to their genetic makeup while creating them.

If you do it with untrained Pokémon, will it be a world that has just discovered Pokémon, or will they have their own Pokémon but certain species are considered too violent/powerful to be trained, so they are instead used in attractions worldwide?

Or have a world were people have found fossils of Pokémon and are now resurrecting them because curiosity and greedy corporate-ness (so a AU were Pokémon once existed, but have now been discovered. You wrote a one-shot detailing something like this, yes?)

Going off that last thought, they could discover that some Pokémon are fairly friendly, while others... not so much. The Pokémon could also be found to be quite intelligent, enough so where they can understand commands with proper training. This causes concern as to whether or not they can be contained and from there it gets into the Jurassic Park theme with the raptors and whatnot.

As a huge fan of Jurassic Park (both the books and the movies), I wouldn't mind seeing a fic on here based on it, even though I've already seen a few Pokémon/Jurassic Park fics before. If you do decide to make one, I would be interested in assisting you with writing it or providing ideas/feedback, if you'd like.

TeamUniverse12

Team Universe Boss
Thanks for responding, I really like some of the ideas you've put forth.

(so a AU were Pokémon once existed, but have now been discovered. You wrote a one-shot detailing something like this, yes?)
It's only loosely based on my old one-shot, I intend on having it take place in the main universe, with pokemon and humans living alongside each other. The original idea I had for this was going to be pretty much a continuation of the one-shot, though I decided to change that because I wanted it to be a bit more original.

I've got the idea of 'Primalology'(VERY early name, I know it's a terrible name), which is the study of how pokemon lived before humans.

I've actually already posted the story, though it's only the prologue, since I'm focusing on my other story, The Elegant Jaw, at the moment.

mutedsanity

Consulting Trainer
Ooh boy...

I know this is going to be a wall of text, so let me begin by saying I'm not sure this really fits here, given its length and rather lack of the narrative itself because that would even unbearably longer. And, as you can probably tell, I only really made this account because I've always loved Pokemon, and had this strange kind of ever-building analysis of what it would be like to truly be in that universe. What the actual streets and houses and shops and things would have to be like. And what it would be like to travel, and that led to thinking about the lack of acres and acres of orchards and wheat and corn and vegetables that would always turn up for days even when driving by car.

So, I've been thinking of this kind of 'explanation' to things in Pokemon. I've been thinking about it almost since as long as I can remember, by early Elementary school, certainly. But back then it was pretty whimsical 'I bet all the grocery stores are stocked by Pokemon gathering fruit from all the forests' and imagined asking a Pokemon for help getting the cereal I liked. So this is not exactly a fic idea, per se, but more an extrapolated explanation of a lot of stuff in the Pokemon Universe. I'm not sure exactly if this is the right place for this, but a lot of it is my own wild speculation and another member recommended I talk about this here, so here we are.
As I got older I started to make up my own 'Journey' stories for my Pokemon characters (I hope I'm using that right, I think I know what it means from reading through this forum a bit) some of which were of course interwoven with characters from the show which I always loved to watch even as I got older, especially in middle school. But much of that was left lacking both in the limited material I had on the actual 'World' of the Pokemon 'Verse at my disposal. Eventually I stopped watching the anime, getting more and more into the game and then at some point someone told me about the Pokemon Special Adventures manga. I didn't want to dive into it at first, but then when I figured out that it didn't star Ash and that the world was much more like the games my interest was piqued. Imagine me, short dark hair, sitting slumped beside a bungalow feet stretched toward the chain-link fence facing the street, playing my old GameBoy with its magnifying lens attachment, looking up blinking into the failing autumn sunlight just as the decision was made to read the first volume that night instead of watching Star Trek, which would always be there anyway if it turned out I didn't like it.

But even after I had sated myself once I got to the Emerald arc, I had burning questions whose answers I couldn't yet come up with. Most prominent of which was What do people in the Pokemon world eat? That sly question which people who like being clever often bring up when discussing 'Things About Pokemon Which Beg Explanation' (hello, yes, umm... also one of those people, clearly, yes) another popular one, Who's Ash's dad?, and by extension, the other characters' parents? Both in the game and manga if parents aren't prominent in the characters' lives they aren't really mentioned. It seems to suggest that it is commonplace that often children are raised by one parent and that there is an understanding that no one need to ever discuss why this is. Not even idle conversation, although I can't be sure how extensive the anime is on this subject because I haven't seen most of it by now. I confess a much heavier bias towards the manga since I like it a lot more. Anywho, after learning about that post by AndyNemo of Tumblr (or perhaps it was someone else, I also confess to often not being as diligent as others on confirming authenticity) about how Giovanni was the good guy all along and they have a fantastic breakdown of the Rocket motto which reveals the secret if you look at it contextually. (I would of course put a link here not only as a good break in the wall of text, but to be fair to the progenitor of the idea, only I'm so new that I cannot yet do so; spam filters, y'know)

Not that this post answered those particular questions, however its generally understood that new information or a fresh perspective can open up all kinds of new thoughts once its had time to process. And I thought, well yes it makes a lot of sense that Giovanni is behind the scenes trying to keep their worlds from being split up by crazed cults of doom by keeping them from harnessing enough power to do so. Who else is?
By this time during my education, I had learned much about How Things Are Run i.e. governments and what is needed to sustain the different types of lifestyles within the societies we have observed in human history. So when looking at Pokemon, we have the answer to whatever factors go into making the world we see in the games and manga and anime, we just don't have the equation itself. So we have to work backwards; I must work within the laws established within the windows from which we see their world. And I have come to the conclusion that these myriad island nations are overseen by a benevolent autocratic dictatorship called The Pokemon League.
I'm not saying that the League is evil or anything, I said that they were a benevolent dictatorship, but still, y'know, a dictatorship. They are all clearly ruled by their strongest trainer, the League Champion of their region apparently serving as the primary policy maker of that region's Pokemon League chapter. And in a society whose economic system is clearly heavily dependent upon Pokemon, the one who controls official policy regarding the treatment of Pokemon and the Pokemon industry has almost all the power in that society. The only other powerful entity that intervenes on matters of national security being the International Police who we don't see until Diamond and Pearl. Other than those two organizations it doesn't seem like any other entity is running things or otherwise keeping an eye out for organizations trying to take over their regions.
Especially in the manga, Giovanni sometimes arrives as a sort of deus ex machina to intervene in cataclysmic events he had been monitoring usually for reasons of personal gain which are often left not entirely clear. So perhaps we could tentatively add Team Rocket to that list, however, there a few problems with that. First is that they are actively working against the current reigning government which officially makes them enemies of the state if not an outright terrorist organization according to their laws, for upsetting and endeavoring to upset the current balance of power which can and has been bad for their society. Second, they do not respect Pokemon as much as the League does, though I have my own theories as to why this is. They regularly engage in research deemed unethical and dangerous to Pokemon and humans by the League, and have likely hurt or killed many Pokemon and people in the course of their activities as well. Thirdly Team Rocket members themselves have been central to a few apocalyptic events, and while they did so while not under the command of Giovanni, they still did so under the Rocket banner and so that should count against them as a whole.
I imagine Giovanni, and Team Rocket while under Giovanni, to be the ones plugging up holes and filling up cracks that the League and the International Police don't see, behind the scenes, most of the time. I mean, we only really see their world through people who are pro-Leaguers, so who knows what sorts of things the mysterious and inscrutable Giovanni and his Team Rocket get up to while the League isn't looking? Perhaps they saved the world on their own a few times, seems to happen often enough that they'd get their chance eventually. But even if they do save the world, and keep it spinning, they are still a criminal organization. They do not get their revenue from tax payers or donations so they must run front businesses like the casinos to make/launder money or they just take what it is they need. They also further their own research to stay on top of world developments in fields they feel the League is neglecting, employing top scientists which make legitimate breakthroughs. What sort of brilliant scientist would join an obviously illegal research group? Some of them were evil, yes, but most aren't; in their hideouts they don't always fight you, even though you are an intruder. And the ones that do, well, you just happen to be on opposite sides of a line drawn in the sand; I'm not saying that the scientists, whatever you think of them, are innocent. They must have known what they were getting into, but I do want to point out that a society in which a large amount of legitimately brilliant researchers feel the need to become criminals in order to make money is not a very balanced society. It's something similar to what has been pointed out about the Scooby-Doo universe, why are so many brilliant people turning to petty crime? Why does everywhere the Mystery Gang goes there seem to be a plethora of large, abandoned buildings or carnival grounds or factories or amusement parks or whatever in which they perpetrate their schemes? There has been speculation about the economic collapse of their world as the reason for most of the plots of that show. But I digress. You can see parallels (or at least where I could draw parallels) between these phenomena in these different worlds, so it doesn't seem so far fetched to suggest that tight economic control on what someone can or can't do with their skills could be effecting the Pokemon world; in their case control via the League dictatorship, rather than the realities of the aftermath of an economic breakdown.
So what does all of this projected politics of the Pokemon 'Verse do to answer my question about what people eat in this world? Well clearly there is enough food to sustain everyone, and it must all be grown or otherwise cultivated somewhere, and the only place that I can think of big enough to feed all the people we see living in these large island communities would have to be another, much larger region than we've seen so far (if not, then perhaps a couple regions on the larger side of the ones we've seen) dedicated economically to providing these smaller, united, super-powered island nations with what they need to sustain their society. Looking at it from every angle I could think of, this seems to be the most likely solution to how the Pokemon world can operate as we observe it. I also think that by necessity, this large region would also have to have a relatively small Pokemon population since clearly Pokemon in the other regions have all but obliterated the regular animal population. We hardly see normal animals at all in the series, and usually as part of the background or something; which makes sense since how can a regular mouse compete with a Rattata or Pikachu? How quickly do you think the natural populations of animals in those regions fell to the rise of Pokemon? I think that control over Pokemon populations in a society which knows that they will all starve if they go the way of the other nations would be very, very important to them.
And it is about here that this spins off further and further into my own wild projections of what that continent would be like, and how those people would live. For example, this nation themselves would not be home to very many technological advancements, but it does reap all the benefits of the research performed in the other, Pokemon oriented nations because that's what they trade their food for. There would be less an emphasis on self-oriented goals, and more promotion of the value of regular, productive members of society. And I mean productive in the classic, literal sense; what do Pokemon trainers actually produce? They have strong Pokemon, yes, that is something intrinsic that they 'make' and they have the vast technical knowledge and training to use them extremely well, but how does that keep society spinning on a daily basis? We are of course familiar with the grand adventures they go on to save the world from total destruction, and of course the entire world would have ended many times over if not for them, I am not denying that. But the reason they keep doing so is to protect the infrastructure that holds up their way of life, infrastructure made up by post carriers and grocery store clerks and dentists and contractors ect. But it is these people, much more like you and I than these prodigy Pokemon trainers, which hold up the world while its not being threatened by crazy people with incredibly powerful Pokemon. So it would make sense to me that in a society where their only advantage is to produce what the other nations cannot that they would stress more the importance of making something that has value to everyday society, rather than the pursuit of personal grandeur.

Anyway, so that is the gist of my 'explanation' for Pokemon; I have my own narrative that I have thought up to weave through this world, but this post damn long enough already so perhaps some other time. If you're still reading this then, well, thank you. I am a trained writer; I am used to telling things through narrative, not separating the world from the story. At least, not when writing things down. So I didn't really know how to start, or how to end or what I should mention and what I should leave out. I've also never written any of this down before, so this is also a very rough draft. So if you've stuck it out this long, you've had much more patience with me than I have. I feel I have reached the end of what my own mind can muster up from all these years of immersing it in Pokemon and I am interested to know what other Pokemon fanatics think of this thing I made up. The only other thing I could possibly ask from you is to tell me what you think. What you think works, and what doesn't work, and why. Or if you have questions, or whatever, really. The only thing worse than being told it's bad is being ignored completely, heh.

EDIT:I think that perhaps I'll post the narrative I have in mind in a separate post to this one and just refer to this post instead of going into detail in the other one. I think I can avoid making that a wall of text as well if I do.

Last edited:
Would you hypothetically read this?

Hello, I recently got a story idea in my head, and I wanted to get a general idea of what people thought of the concept.

The protagonist, Marcel, doesn't initially want to be a pokemon trainer, aside from keeping a pet Mudkip. He's been working as a Jr Aide for Professor Treename (yes, that name is a placeholder), but one day, the Professor finds a talking Riolu. The Riolu has no memory of why it can talk, only traumatic impressions and a few scars around its throat and cranium. The Professor thinks that the best way to figure out what happened is to send Marcel out to bond with the Riolu as a trainer. He believes that if the Riolu went out and saw the world it would jog his memory, and it would be helpful psychologically if he had a trainer to open up to. He also thinks that Marcel could use the life experience anyway. So a reluctant Marcel, his Mudkip, and the Riolu set out together to collect badges and hopefully uncover just what happened to the Riolu.

This is not my first fanfic, just my first Pokemon fic, so I do think I have the experience to pull this off. My main concern is what people think of the idea of a talking Pokemon, and is Riolu too cliche. I can't do much about the talking Pokemon bit, but I was considering using a Meinfoo or something instead. Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated :)

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Hello, I recently got a story idea in my head, and I wanted to get a general idea of what people thought of the concept.

The protagonist, Marcel, doesn't initially want to be a pokemon trainer, aside from keeping a pet Mudkip. He's been working as a Jr Aide for Professor Treename (yes, that name is a placeholder), but one day, the Professor finds a talking Riolu. The Riolu has no memory of why it can talk, only traumatic impressions and a few scars around its throat and cranium. The Professor thinks that the best way to figure out what happened is to send Marcel out to bond with the Riolu as a trainer. He believes that if the Riolu went out and saw the world it would jog his memory, and it would be helpful psychologically if he had a trainer to open up to. He also thinks that Marcel could use the life experience anyway. So a reluctant Marcel, his Mudkip, and the Riolu set out together to collect badges and hopefully uncover just what happened to the Riolu.

This is not my first fanfic, just my first Pokemon fic, so I do think I have the experience to pull this off. My main concern is what people think of the idea of a talking Pokemon, and is Riolu too cliche. I can't do much about the talking Pokemon bit, but I was considering using a Meinfoo or something instead. Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated :)

Folding this into the Fic Ideas thread!

In any case, I think it'd be interesting. It's not every day you have a fic that deals with a protagonist who's forced to go out onto a journey, and it'd be fun to see Marcel's thoughts on that. There's a lot of potential for character growth just with that. On top of that, it'd be cool to see what you do with the concept of a talking Pokémon as a rarity. Normally, authors have Pokémon be able to speak or be restricted to animalistic noises, which means they don't really address Pokémon communication at all (or do so with a kinda fudged explanation), so it'd be nice to see someone tackle that concept head-on.

Long story short, I think the general concept is awesome, talking Pokémon and all (especially given that the talking Pokémon is actually not a common thing). As for whether or not you should use Riolu, tbqh, I think your second idea of using Meinfoo sounds more interesting, not only because Riolu is (as you've said) a rather common Pokémon to use but also because people just sort of accept that Riolu has odd powers thanks to the whole aura thing. Meinfoo has less of a reputation, so it'd probably be more significant to use one in the plot you're going for.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your story around the forum~! :D

Hey guys,
I have this idea for a fic about a group of young trainers who are enlisted by Steven Stone's S.T.O.N.E. Organization to participate in the Rangers Initiative. This is a group of kids who are being trained by Steven Stone to be a response team whenever Team Rocket (or someone else) decides to terrorise the cities of Johto or Kanto again. I think that the members will be Red, Blue, Gold, Silver and Green. I am trying to give a bit of an Avengers feel to it. Any tips on how I can make this a great story? Should I also write little intros for these characters?

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
Hey guys,
I have this idea for a fic about a group of young trainers who are enlisted by Steven Stone's S.T.O.N.E. Organization to participate in the Rangers Initiative. This is a group of kids who are being trained by Steven Stone to be a response team whenever Team Rocket (or someone else) decides to terrorise the cities of Johto or Kanto again. I think that the members will be Red, Blue, Gold, Silver and Green. I am trying to give a bit of an Avengers feel to it. Any tips on how I can make this a great story? Should I also write little intros for these characters?

I think that's a pretty cool idea. Only thing is, why is it Steven Stone's organization and it takes place in Kanto/Johto? I think it should expand to every region, but it's your idea, not mine ;)

Hey,
thanks for the quick reaction. Well, I was thinking that I could give it an interresting spin because I could maybe work in somesort of power struggle between Steven and his dad who is still the director of the Organization. I chose these regions because of the characters I wanted to use. They are originally from those two regions, but I could always 'travel' to the other regions.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Hey,
thanks for the quick reaction. Well, I was thinking that I could give it an interresting spin because I could maybe work in somesort of power struggle between Steven and his dad who is still the director of the Organization. I chose these regions because of the characters I wanted to use. They are originally from those two regions, but I could always 'travel' to the other regions.

Well, in that case, why not choose a different leader? After all, the majority of your characters are from Kanto/Johto (and you've probably got your heart set on using them), and there doesn't seem to be a specific reason why the organization has to be led by Steven. Moreover, Steven is based in Hoenn, which has very little Team Rocket presence across the various canon universes, so it's difficult to imagine why he would be interested in them rather than, say, Teams Aqua and Magma. Or even Team Flare, if we mix in a little animeverse canon. So as an alternative, there are plenty of decent choices from Kanto/Johto, such as Lance, who is (according to the anime) canonically a G-man/someone who works with the police forces to take down Team Rocket anyway. Or you could even use Looker, who's not based in any specific region and is part of the organization explicitly geared towards taking down all of the evil organizations around the world. It wouldn't take much to say Looker's assembling a team of spunky trainers to fight Team Rocket.

...I mean, besides the awkwardness that is the fact that this organization is relying on a task force of only five kids/teens instead of far more experienced trainers who were already trained specifically for law enforcement. This kind of premise may work for the Power Rangers, but I think part of the charm of the Power Rangers is that it acknowledged how ridiculous that exact premise was and shamelessly ran with the cheese. Avengers, meanwhile, uses a bunch of heroes who are not only older but, for the most part, have trained with their abilities for a long while and were chosen specifically for their abilities by a man who's spent decades being a cold, hard fighter. That's why they don't necessarily have to answer the question of why they were chosen to fight the forces of evil: because they are literally the only people who can punch evil in the face and not die, and they know this because they've been doing it before they signed up.

Point is, I'm a little worried about the idea of an Avengers-style fic because you're taking a bunch of kids/teenagers and the heir of a tech company and banding them together to take out a great evil, so the comparison isn't entirely there. (Meaning, it kinda feels like you chose the characters before thinking about their roles in your fic, which isn't necessarily bad so much as something that makes this more of a challenge to get to work, if that makes sense.) If, however, this was a sentai fic that drew comparisons with the Power Rangers, then that might be a bit easier to swallow because, well, the Power Rangers acknowledges that it's a block of cheese, and it just kinda runs with it and the ridiculousness of asking five ordinary teenagers to fight the forces of evil using Jackie Chan-style martial arts.

Or in other words, it could work but probably more as a PR-style sentai fic than an Avengers-style, band-together-a-bunch-of-characters-and-go-style fic. And either way, probably not with Steven Stone as the leader. I mean, even if you brought in that power struggle, that would kinda draw attention away from the fight against Team Rocket, which may be something you don't want here. Besides, Kanto and Johto are filled with a lot of really interesting characters who actually are against Team Rocket, so any one of them would probably be a better choice for your Zordon/Nick Fury-ish character.

Good luck!

Firebrand

Indomitable
Well, this was on the Bumpable Thread Index, so I figured I'd bring it back around.

I've been sitting on an idea for a couple weeks now, and I thought it might help me to flesh out if I actually wrote it down somewhere. So... here goes. I kind of want to write "The Spectacular Hawlucha Man!"

The story is basically like any major superhero comic franchise, in that a hero (or collective of heroes) fights villains and defends the city, just with pokemon trappings. The story would focus on an engineering student who, along with his partner Hawlucha, moonlights as a vigilante in one of the outer boroughs of a metropolitan city fighting crime lords and terrorists. The city (I've considered using both Castelia and Luminose, but neither of them seem to work for my purposes. Luminose lacks the grit I'm looking for, and I want the city to have several outer boroughs that don't involve crossing bridges, or have to deal with a big desert in the backyard. I'll probably make one up, which would give me more creative freedom anyway) has many of these Pokemon-partnered vigilantes who guard the night against threats, though the way they are regarded is largely dependent on the neighborhoods they protect. Someone like Blaziken Man, a billionaire inventor who guards the wealthy cosmopolitan city center is regarded as a celebrity, whereas Hawlucha Man is seen by the police as little better than the thugs he takes out. Others, like a man I'm calling the Ronin, who wanders the same borough as Hawlucha Man with his Samurott and hunts down muggers and violent with a sword, are seen as a dangerous psychopath and a danger to the public, despite that he never harms innocents.

Basically, none of the heroes or villains necessarily have any powers, they are able to do what they do through intense physical conditioning, and their skillsets match what their pokemon partners' are. For example, Hawlucha Man has designed a rudimentary wing suit to compliment his martial arts training, Blaziken Man has a much more high-tech suit complete with flamethrowers, the Ronin carries around a sword, another character with a Machamp and Gurdurr partner has made himself a hydraulic-powered suit that augments his strength. A cat burglar uses a Sneasel, a botanist gone rogue uses a troupe of Exeggutor to poison and hypnotize people, a mafia boss and his machine-gun toting lackey use an Empoleon and Blastoise respectively.

I sort of know I'm playing off a lot of super hero cliches with this concept, but that's sort of the fun of it all. Some I'll probably play as straight, others a bit tongue in cheek. As far as overall plot goes, I have several major events mapped out in my head, but it all boils down to various villains beginning to work together for reasons the heroes and vigilantes can't fully comprehend, and this worries them because up until now everyone has pretty much been content to act on their own agendas, and none of these match up. So to combat this, the vigilantes all have to come together, but this requires them to confront the implicit caste system in the city.