• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fic ideas V.2

I do think yours has promise! Some things strike me particularly, though. It seems impractical to find a Pokémon for every single child who passes through the orphanage; perhaps they are part of a government program or private psychological study to look at the effects of Pokémon as companions? (I'm sure Professor Juniper would be interested in studying that.) And I do wonder how you're going to deal with antagonism in this fic. In trainer fics, creating real antagonists is notoriously uncommon, with the exception being of the usual evil team. Not to say that there's anything wrong with an evil team (hell, I'm using Team Plasma in my fic), but it always makes me uncomfortable when people say "journey fic" and don't specify if the challenge in their fic is with one group versus another group or one group versus the elements.

Actually that is an incredible idea! Have a Professor funding it as sort of a starter system, didn't Prof. Oak in one episode take in injured Pokemon? Maybe the Orphanage is where they are sent once they are healed, not to mention once they realize how well it does people from all over the region might be willing to pitch in rather than catch and release. As for the opposition, besides rivals galore and at first a hostile home-base in that the group members don't get along, I will also have one or many of the teams, and one evil group of my own creation that they will have to look out for. It's a Journey fic in that the regular gyms, contests, musicals will happen, but much more than that, and the throne of the champion may not end up being the goal for them.

I've had some more time to think on your idea and realized my few adjectives and comparison were the only thing you received.

Speaking of that comparison. . .
Movie starts with North Korea invading the United States. Bunch of Kids escape to the woods in the mountains, they start fighting the oppressive rule every chance they get, they give people hope to fight back. I won't spoil the ending.

So you might see where I draw the parallels. Your story has a lot of promise and I don't see any holes I can Poke so far, besides why wold N know Flora exists? Unless. . . Cheren or Bianca told of their friend still living in a state of ignorance back home, hmmm. I think it will do great, thank your for the kind words and suggestions for my idea, I really appreciate it.

TylerPhoenix

I'm glad to be back!
In response to what people have said, of course. I'm writing the story regardless. It's just nice to be able to share the fiction of course!

I can't say too much without massively revealing a lot, but the key stuff is that the story is set in a Orre of the near future after Coliseum and XD, where the corrupt region is now under control of team Cipher, this, however, unknown to the population of Orre.

The story follows a young adult, aged 17, 18 perhaps, who is drawn into Cipher's criminal operations when he discovers a small briefcase left in the Phenac Gym. Curiosity bettering him, he opens it to find fresh evidence of the Shadow Pokemon scheme, a story his parents would tell him of, a dark time for Orre. Returning it to the address it belongs to, as if he never opened it, he starts to spy on the activity of Cipher, before almost being caught. After being forced into working for them, he steals more information and equipment, thus making himself their prime target. With the government and justice system seemingly ignorant to his evidence and accusations, to the point of the corrupt officials making him become the public enemy, he has to take matters into his own hands to defeat Cipher, somehow. But to do so, he needs to play his cards right.

Yet with a region held under the iron grip of Cipher, spies and agents with powerful and vicious Shadow Pokemon everywhere, how exactly can he survive and go un-noticed by the Criminal Syndicate?

I really don't want to say any more right now! Haha, spoilers.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
Can u tell a non-Pokemon Fan Fic here

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Can u tell a non-Pokemon Fan Fic here

Sure thing, m'dear! You'll find those fics in this forum. Word of caution, though: responses to those fics tend to be slow going. As in, sometimes, you might post something there, and you won't get reviews. Don't let that discourage you, though. There's always a chance you will get reviews, and so long as the view count is going up, you're sure to have an audience.

Silent_Vibrava

Fanfiction Writer
I have an idea for a new fan-fic, and I was wondering if someone could give me their honest opinion on how good it sounds like it would be. :)

What if there was a kid, who one day had a little "accident" that turned him into a Pokémon (not sure what yet, possibly a Charizard or Serperior, leaning on the latter), and he then had to find a way to get back to his own world... along the way he would make new friends with Pokémon, but would have to learn how to survive without any humans catching him... he would also have to go on a quest to find out how he could return to being a human (although I am not sure exactly what he will have to do to do that yet). There would be many twists and turns along the way, but this is just the overall concept of my fic idea. :)

It is better, but this should be used as just the beginning; you should expand it to be something much bigger. I would add a lot more to it than it just being a "keep away from the human" fanfiction. It would be more interesting if the Pokemon was never human in the first place, and they'd be the first Pokemon ever to successfully escape from their Pokeball.

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
I think you quoted the wrong post of mine... and got them mixed up. For this new fic, the Pokémon was never gonna be human at all. Maybe I worded it wrong... I mean that she was going to be a HUMAN'S slave, not gonna be a human herself/himself lol. XD Is this the post you were looking at? ;)

Thanks for the help Silent_Vibrava and fixthe_fernback. I have actually never played the Pokémon MD games (but I want to sometime), but I guess I will just have to scrap that idea... well, what about this one?

A Pokémon that has been captured in a Poke ball by some little kid, when she NEVER wanted to be captured and turned into a human slave (in her mind). So she decides to escape one day, with the past always haunting her... she left her ball behind, but if the little girl was to ever come back for her, the ball could zap her up again... she thought that she was just being paranoid, until her nightmare comes true... the little girl was after her, and the Pokémon was now on the run... but along the way of her journey to escape from this little girl and all of the other treacheries that come to her along the way, she must face her greatest fears...

Well, I am not sure if this is exactly how the fic would go, but it is just a very rough first draft kinda thing... what do you think?

EDIT: No one has been posting on this thread lately, and I don't wanna double post, so I thought I would just edit this post I had already made instead. I have been thinking, and I REALLY love the idea of a fic where a kid turns into a Pokémon like I have already explained to all of you... I like the idea of this fic as well, but not as much... isn't it best to write a fic that you actually LIKE writing about, even if no one else cares about it or anything? As long as you make sure it is well written and stuff? Since I really wanna explore this idea with the Human turned Pokémon story, although I have never played PMD as of yet. Another thing I wanna add, is that do you think it is truly a good idea to cancel my fanfic? I have been working hard on it for so long, is it worth it to just abandon now? Or would it be considered foolish to not? Sorry for all of these questions, but I really want this to be figured out with proper answers from everyone if you don't mind. ;)

Last edited:

Silent_Vibrava

Fanfiction Writer
This fic won't come out until the Discovery Challenge is finished, but I've been having so much fun writing an experimental chapter.

Team Aqua disbanded decades ago until an unpredictable, hedonist pirate named Stentorian hijacked the name. His small crew of hyper-sexed pirates revive the organization, completely from boredom and, well, because it sounded cool to do. Meanwhile, he attempts to fend off and convert his nemesis, an asexual inventor who values order above all else.

Basically, it is a fiction centered on the villains and, for once, it is the hero that always gets the short end of the stick. The inventor will try to use their inventions and detective skills to stop Stentorian but consistently fail.

Last edited:

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
Got an idea for a trainer type fiction: Willow is a graduate from Aspertia City, and starts with an Oshawott, following the beginning up to Castelia City. After her parents go on holiday, an end of the world thing happens, and a virus is accidentally released from a lab in Unnova, and many people die. However Ash/Msity/Gary are brought in from Kanto to help and they end up travelling around Unnova in order to try and help the towns/cities to cope in the crises, whilst on the side lines Willow still gets the badges for the league whilst the government try and sort out the problems.

Ash/Misty/Gary now about 25 in age, using Gary's team from HGSS.

I have a plot for what happens along each route/town at the moment but I need some advice on how to make this fiction better.

Battlestar

TRC Boss
Does this virus kill people and pokemon? If so how fast? Are there symptoms? Are some people immune?

What's the importance of willow? Will he eventually intersect with Ash's gang? Is the fated encounter early or late in the story?

Also why would Ash, Misty, and Gary be sent to Unova? What's so special about them needing to be there?

Anwser these and think about the questions. It will make your story much more logical.

Best of luck, looking forward to reading it.

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
Thank you for the advice certainly going to make my story more padded out certainly editing out much more of it now.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Also, why is there a lot of traveling going around in a place where there was apparently a highly contagious, highly lethal virus? It sounds like you want a post-apocalyptic fic—which is cool—but the virus angle and a badge quest just aren't flavors that mix. I mean, even if the league wants to have some semblance of normality in the region, keeping the gym circuit up and running would basically put a lot of people's lives at risk.

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
So make it more post with the badges/travelling angle then pre/continious apocalyptic with the badge thing is better then how it was before?

That way it would work a lot better that way so I'll re-work the plot lines instead.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
After watching Shofu's, XENON's, and 6fthax's reactions (they are youtube lets players) on the MEGA EVOLUTIONS, I suddenly have a new idea the popped inside my mind.

A nationwide anniversary is coming to my country which is also going to be showcased on History Channel. It's all about the history of the Benigno Ninoy Aquino Assassination.

But this time, I'm mixing it with Johto's past with my own variations. It will involve the story of Mega Ampharos as the heroine in correlation to Ninoy's wife, Corazon Aquino (a.k.a Cory).

So, I think I'll have to review that historical moment again.

Keizaal

bring me to life
^ Before writing anything on Mega Evolutions, maybe you should wait until X/Y come out for more info?

Anyway, I've had a couple ideas for a White Nuzlocke fic I'm planning on writing.
I've seen too many Nuzlocke fics where the Trainer does this and that and a Pokemon dies. Pokemon don't die in battle in the Poke World and they don't explain how they die. I've had a couple ideas spewing in my head and I wanted to share.

Please note that this isn't a full idea yet and I'm not even sure if I'm going to be writing this, I just need feedback on the "death and talking Pokemon" explanation.

First, Pokemon deaths. It all started hen a scientist, whom I'm thinking is going to be Colress, tried to replicate the PokeRus Virus and spread it across Unova as a "gift" to the world for making Pokemon stronger. (Colress' original goal is to bring out the 'true strength' in Pokemon) However, a calculation or a flaw in the formula went wrong and the Virus backfired completely, making every Pokemon in Unova weaker, giving them the ability to die. Nobody knew of the virus spreading across Unova and Trainers continued to battle, not knowing that when they knock out a Pokemon, it dies instead of fainting. Word of the currently-incurable virus didn't get around fast enough and the population of Pokemon in Unova dropped significantly, forcing the Unova officials to enforce rules for Trainers, knowing that banning Pokemon Trainers completely would cause an outrage.
1. Trainers were to teach their Pokemon to never deliver the killing blow
2. If the Pokemon knew that it was going to faint/die, it and its Trainer were to surrender, losing the battle and saving the Pokemon's life.

Of course, there are evil Trainers that don't go by the rules and battle trainers, delivering final blows, killing Pokemon, and breaking hearts. It isn't as common, however. There have been countless "accidents" since the system and its rules are flawed.

Now, for the Talking Pokemon, a device designed by Silph Co. and imported to Unova is an accessory that allows a Pokemon to talk. (The device is more of a translator) It is an electronic necklace/choker that goes around the Pokemon's neck.

The story of the fic is based on that and is just the retelling of Pokemon White. It isn't until the sequel, (sigh Yes, I know that sounds dumb, but it is still an idea!) the Nuzlocke for Pokemon White 2, is when the protagonist finds Colress and tries to find the cure. I have an idea/headcanon where at N's Castle, Ghestis makes an attempt on the protagonist's (Hilda) life, trying to collapse the castle on top of her and her team as Ghestis is being taken away by Cheren and Alder. Ghestis, when he re-assembles Team Plasma, tells them to eliminate her on sight, knowing that if she was still alive, she would try to stop his plans 2 years later. Hilda is rescued by N (Might change this, still working out the details on this part of the idea) and is told of Ghestis' orders to Team Plasma to eliminate her. Hilda them basically becomes a fugitive due to Plasma's power over Unova and goes by a different identity, Rosa. She decides not to tell Cheren, Bianca, or anyone else that she is alive, afraid that Ghestis will find out. The side-plot for the White 2 Nuzlocke is her trying to find her old team, if they're still alive. She finds out that Ghestis has them and is using them to draw her out.

Gah, I'm sorry for all the text and jumbled-up nonsense. I just had all these ideas in my head and I needed feedback.

Silent_Vibrava

Fanfiction Writer
Please note that this isn't a full idea yet and I'm not even sure if I'm going to be writing this, I just need feedback on the "death and talking Pokemon" explanation.

First, Pokemon deaths. It all started [w]hen a scientist, whom I'm thinking is going to be Colress, tried to replicate the PokeRus Virus and spread it across Unova as a "gift" to the world for making Pokemon stronger. (Colress' original goal is to bring out the 'true strength' in Pokemon) However, a calculation or a flaw in the formula went wrong and the Virus backfired completely, making every Pokemon in Unova weaker, giving them the ability to die. Nobody knew of the virus spreading across Unova and Trainers continued to battle, not knowing that when they knock out a Pokemon, it dies instead of fainting. Word of the currently-incurable virus didn't get around fast enough and the population of Pokemon in Unova dropped significantly, forcing the Unova officials to enforce rules for Trainers, knowing that banning Pokemon Trainers completely would cause an outrage.

This is actually a very interesting, original concept. The scientist should definitely be Colress, and maybe have some type of story arch to him grieving about the unintended impact of his research. I'm not only interested in the Pokemon-trainer dynamic; how the wild pokemon would cope with new found vulnerability to each other would also be very interesting to read about.

1. Trainers were to teach their Pokemon to never deliver the killing blow
2. If the Pokemon knew that it was going to faint/die, it and its Trainer were to surrender, losing the battle and saving the Pokemon's life.

Of course, there are evil Trainers that don't go by the rules and battle trainers, delivering final blows, killing Pokemon, and breaking hearts. It isn't as common, however. There have been countless "accidents" since the system and its rules are flawed.

Now, for the Talking Pokemon, a device designed by Silph Co. and imported to Unova is an accessory that allows a Pokemon to talk. (The device is more of a translator) It is an electronic necklace/choker that goes around the Pokemon's neck.

While it is your fic, I feel that having talking Pokemon would essentially ruin the more serious atmosphere I think you are trying to paint. I would use it once or twice for a few choice Pokemon, but I wouldn't make it an integral part of the story.

The story of the fic is based on that and is just the retelling of Pokemon White. It isn't until the sequel, (sigh Yes, I know that sounds dumb, but it is still an idea!) the Nuzlocke for Pokemon White 2, is when the protagonist finds Colress and tries to find the cure. I have an idea/headcanon where at N's Castle, Ghestis makes an attempt on the protagonist's (Hilda) life, trying to collapse the castle on top of her and her team as Ghestis is being taken away by Cheren and Alder. Ghestis, when he re-assembles Team Plasma, tells them to eliminate her on sight, knowing that if she was still alive, she would try to stop his plans 2 years later. Hilda is rescued by N (Might change this, still working out the details on this part of the idea) and is told of Ghestis' orders to Team Plasma to eliminate her. Hilda them basically becomes a fugitive due to Plasma's power over Unova and goes by a different identity, Rosa. She decides not to tell Cheren, Bianca, or anyone else that she is alive, afraid that Ghestis will find out. The side-plot for the White 2 Nuzlocke is her trying to find her old team, if they're still alive. She finds out that Ghestis has them and is using them to draw her out.

I would try to make original characters to follow the story arch in, but that is just my preference. All in all, I'd love to read this fanfiction if it is written well.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
^ Before writing anything on Mega Evolutions, maybe you should wait until X/Y come out for more info?

This. Difficult to work with canon if there's very little information out about it. We don't even know the exact canon explanation for how Mega Evolutions work.

Also, about the "Pokémon mixed with the Aquino assassination" plot, er ... please don't. I know that sounds harsh, but dude, wasn't the assassination a terrifying time for everyone involved? Filipino civilians had no idea what was going to happen, and they were fresh on the heels of a period of martial law that was instated to silence political opposition. There's a reason why there was a massive uprising afterwards. And even then, integrating a non-serious franchise with such a serious moment in history almost feels like it's making light of pretty powerful events. I know you're Filipino and therefore proud of your history, but as someone of Filipino heritage myself and whose family was there during Marcos's reign, I'm a little antsy about seeing such a nerve-wracking moment of history be portrayed in a fanfiction for a franchise centered around magical monsters. I mean, seriously. Civilians died during that time. A lot of civilians.

Besides that, not everyone knows about Filipino history, and I don't think plopping Pokémon smack in the middle of one of its major events would be a good way to teach folks here.

That said, on to Keizaal's idea.

Right off the bat, I notice something you may need to take into consideration.

making every Pokemon in Unova weaker, giving them the ability to die.

... The fact that can already die, and they have for quite some time. That's true in every known canon, actually. In the games, it's a major plot point in Gen I and FrLg (with Pokémon Tower and the ghost Marowak), and you're required to visit Pokémon graveyards in at least two other generations. (You need to visit Hoenn's Mt. Pyre to obtain the Red or Blue Orbs, and both BW and BW2 have you visit Celestial Tower to advance to another gym.) Various manga revisit these graveyard locations, and the anime even has the balls to step forward and give us movies that show us legendary Pokémon are mortal too. (Latios and Darkrai in particular. Celebi nearly dies as well.)

To be frank, the reason why death is never explained (in the games, at least) is entirely a meta reason, although the games seem to imply that battles never use killing force anyway. Note that every Pokémon that's knocked out in the gameverse is considered to be fainted, not killed. It's like a boxing match or martial arts fight for them. Yes, you aim to hurt, but you never aim to kill, even if you could. (The anime, meanwhile, runs purely on cartoon logic and is inconsistent about this matter, and Special is straight-up, "The **** do you mean Pokémon don't die in battle?")

Tl;dr, right off the bat, you're on shaky territory canonically if you don't mind me saying. While you could always go the historical route, you'd have to make this an event that happened eons ago, before the events of pretty much any canon. And even then, the idea of having a constructed virus might be a bit too scientifically advanced for a far-flung past, and I'm not sure if explaining it with "this came from a lost society" would help. That and you'd have to give up using Colress and the protagonist of White 2 because it's also canon in that universe that Pokémon die. (See Celestial Tower.)

I also agree with Silent_Vibrava about talking Pokémon. Every Nuzlocke does this, but it's very rarely necessary. At best, it makes the Pokémon seem like humans in animal suits, and while it helps a reader connect with these Pokémon and feel even more overwhelmed by their deaths, this is also the easy way out. I'd hate to be blunt about it, but yeah. It takes a lot more effort to make a reader feel something over a non-sapient character's death, sure, but a lot of Nuzlockes seem to forget that there's a reason why death affects us so much. The focus of the death should really be on the why part of the way death affects us, not on the fact that we're losing something that can talk. That and, honestly, if you succeed in getting someone to cry over an animal's death despite the fact that it's an animal, what that says is you've got an extremely powerful bit of writing that relies on tone and character reactions. In other words, when you kill off a non-sapient character, you're forced to highlight the reactions of the survivors, so our attention hones in on the way this death would affect the trainer.

Moreover, at the same time, the explanations for these kinds of things just feel either forced, Sueish, or nonexistent. In this case, the explanation could be a bit shaky, depending on how old the device is. If it's a widely distributed piece of technology, sure, it might be fine after a bit of tweaking, but if it's a new invention, one has to wonder why Silph is exporting all the way to Unova. That and not every Pokémon has a neck, meaning this already gets awkward for Pokémon like Magnemite. Finally, there's the question of how it works, given the fact that you'd have to program every last word in whatever language you're using into the device, plus you'd have to figure out a way to drown out a Pokémon's natural cry. You might be able to get away with handwaving all of this in any other genre, but considering the fact that you're going for a sci-fi edge, you would need to put together an explanation.

In short, it's an interesting idea on the surface, but there are a few fundamental issues/canon contradictions to it that might not allow it to work. If you want to go about writing a story in which a virus decimates the Pokémon population, that'd be an interesting thought, but if you do it, it would be better to avoid bringing in the idea that this pandemic suddenly gave Pokémon the ability to die ... because they've always been able to do that.

And seriously, while it's ultimately up to you (because you can also make a talking Pokémon's death dramatic), I'm a bit skeptical about whether or not it'd be necessary here.

Last edited:

gorgonfish

ribbit-ribbit
I've been wanting to write a story that blends the game/manga/anime versions of the Orange and Sevii Islands together for a while now, but I'm having trouble with how to structure it. The story would be about Celio, Lorelei, and Archer and involve some of the worldbuilding from Pokemon 2000 (orbs, bird trio, and Lugia mostly) along with events that took place on their pokemon journeys as children that create conflict in the present. Would it be more interesting to start at/near the beginning of their pokemon journey and do a more episodic chapter structure so there doesn't end up being an endless number of chapters, or focus on their conflicts as adults with sporadic flashback chapters to give context and foreshadow plot points?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I've been wanting to write a story that blends the game/manga/anime versions of the Orange and Sevii Islands together for a while now, but I'm having trouble with how to structure it. The story would be about Celio, Lorelei, and Archer and involve some of the worldbuilding from Pokemon 2000 (orbs, bird trio, and Lugia mostly) along with events that took place on their pokemon journeys as children that create conflict in the present. Would it be more interesting to start at/near the beginning of their pokemon journey and do a more episodic chapter structure so there doesn't end up being an endless number of chapters, or focus on their conflicts as adults with sporadic flashback chapters to give context and foreshadow plot points?

If you think you can pull something that ambitious off, I would suggest going with the sporadic flashback idea. The reason why is because it sounds like you're taking an original idea and often-forgotten characters, so right off the bat, this concept feels very fresh. The last thing you want to do is add something stale to the mix, and going with the history/trainer fic format might just do that.

Besides, it sounds a little like you're aiming to focus on the characters as adults; it's just that the current events began in their childhood. (That is, assuming I'm understanding this correctly.) So you'll definitely want to set their adulthood as their present (i.e., as the main period of the story, the one you talk about right off the bat) and then go back to flashbacks when they become relevant. In short, it just sounds more like a coherent plot idea if you set it in their adulthood and reference their past, rather than attempt to do a full-on trainer fic about their childhoods.

gorgonfish

ribbit-ribbit
If you think you can pull something that ambitious off, I would suggest going with the sporadic flashback idea. The reason why is because it sounds like you're taking an original idea and often-forgotten characters, so right off the bat, this concept feels very fresh. The last thing you want to do is add something stale to the mix, and going with the history/trainer fic format might just do that.

Besides, it sounds a little like you're aiming to focus on the characters as adults; it's just that the current events began in their childhood. (That is, assuming I'm understanding this correctly.) So you'll definitely want to set their adulthood as their present (i.e., as the main period of the story, the one you talk about right off the bat) and then go back to flashbacks when they become relevant. In short, it just sounds more like a coherent plot idea if you set it in their adulthood and reference their past, rather than attempt to do a full-on trainer fic about their childhoods.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! The only thing that was drawing me a bit towards the full-on journey aspect was the worldbuilding opportunities: Celio and Bill first meeting, how/if the six pokemon limit worked before the PSS was introduced, pokeball creation before Silph Co mass-produced them, the chance to play with the gym leader roster, and the formation of Team Rocket. The bulk of the story is in their adulthood. You're right, though, as a Trainer Fic it'd get stale quickly. Focused flashbacks, that build character and plot, would work better than a very, very slowburn chronological story.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! The only thing that was drawing me a bit towards the full-on journey aspect was the worldbuilding opportunities: Celio and Bill first meeting, how/if the six pokemon limit worked before the PSS was introduced, pokeball creation before Silph Co mass-produced them, the chance to play with the gym leader roster, and the formation of Team Rocket. The bulk of the story is in their adulthood. You're right, though, as a Trainer Fic it'd get stale quickly. Focused flashbacks, that build character and plot, would work better than a very, very slowburn chronological story.

No prob.

I'd also like to say that I'd be all for background/worldbuilding stories of any of these (because mmm, delicious headcanon from other people), but you definitely don't want to do too much in one story and then forget what your main plot is.

HOWEVER! This doesn't mean you can't explore these ideas in side stories! :D