• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fic Recommendation Thread

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
In the mood to settle down with a good 'fic but not sure where to find one? Why not ask the fanfic forum if they've read anything good lately? The idea behind this thread is pretty simple: post a brief description of the kind of story you're looking for, and other members can help you out by recommending any 'fics they think fit the bill.

The only rule is that you can't recommend a story you helped write. Feel free to recommend stories that aren't posted on SPPf, but one way or another, please include a link to the 'fic to make it easy for others to find.

To start things off, I'm looking for a good old original trainer story. I'd prefer one that's at least five chapters in and not featured on TVTropes, since I'm familiar with those 'fics already. :p

Terry93D

I'm not sure if by original trainer story you mean original story with a trainer or story with an original trainer, but may I recommend ClicheStorm?

And, seeing as the likelihood of you have read that is proportionally higher than my next recommendation as it is a completed fic on this website, I also highly rate The Sardonic Adventure of Briar Casey, by Fabula.et.Dolum on Fanfiction.net, and can be easily accessed through that wonderful tool so wonderfully entitled Google.

To continue: I am currently looking for comedy fics, in particular surreal comedy and dark comedy by preference but any sort of humor/amusing fic will do. Also any fics that fit into your default mental list of Things That Are Brilliant (I can't be the only one with a list like that!).

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I would like to take the time to say that for this thread, you can totally link to the fics you rec. Sure, I know it says that in the OP, but I'd just like to clarify that y'all have actual, official permission in this case to link to outside sources. (In fact, please do when it comes to FFN or Tumblr. Authors can change their usernames/pen names whenever they want on either site, so sometimes, just mentioning the author's name and the story title can be shaky business. I mean, in the case of The Sardonic Adventure of Briar Casey, you can totally still Google that, but in other cases, it might be easier to provide a link.)

That being said, comedy recs for Terry93D!

Probably one of the most hilarious fics I've read in the fandom is The Pidgey and the Beedrill by SuicidalToeSocks. The build-up's not actually all that funny, but it's the last third that's the amazing part, largely because it involves Cyrus giving The Talk to Team Galactic and why certain rules had to be implemented in Galactic HQ. It's still SFW in that nothing actually happens in it, but yeah, be warned that it's rated T for a character trying to describe sex using horrendously convoluted metaphors.

I would also like to rec Important Announcement by Psychic, as it is a 100% accurate description of the Serebii experience. Also by one of our forumers, The Retelling of Pokémon Colosseum by bobandbill is a must-read for anyone interested in Pokémon Colosseum or the indestructibility of drunk people.

And to keep the ball rolling (so to speak), I've got a request of my own.

I've had a pretty huge hankering for some nostalgia lately, but my favorites folder only goes back so far. And all of this is relevant because when I say "hankering for some nostalgia," what I mean is "I really want to read some seriously old fics." Like, pre-2005 old. I'd especially love complete trainer, Pokémon-centered, or Rocketshippy fics that are also not featured on TVTropes. Anyone got any recs (please and thank you)? :D

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
JX Valentine: Have you read Me and My Flame? It's been ages since I actually read it so I don't quite know how it holds up, but I have fond memories, and it's definitely old (2000, only has R/B/Y Pokémon except for a couple of G/S/C ones still called by their Japanese names - if that's not nostalgia, I don't know what is), completed, Pokémon-centered and not on TV Tropes.

Terry93D: Not a proper comedy fic, but [thread=587729]Salvage[/thread] by Negrek is both brilliant, dark and hilarious. It takes a bit for it to really get going (the first several chapters are pretty confusing and may be hard to get into depending on how much the bizarre protagonist and its vague goals manage to intrigue you), but if you stick with it it definitely sounds like something you'd enjoy. Personally I think it really hit its stride around chapter eight and has only gotten better from there.

I already have a long list of fics I've been meaning to read, but if you want to throw me some recs, I'm a sucker for a good friendship fic, including the Pokémon-human bond. I'm good with either pure happy fluff or heartwrenching tragedy (as in, for example, The Ties That Bind is one of my favorite Pokémon-human bond fics, and fanfics in general see what I did there with the sneaky extra rec), or anything in between.

Also, Scyther. If you know good fics about Scyther, send them my way.

Last edited:

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Unfortunately since I haven't read all that much fic lately (I'VE BEEN BUSY OK) I don't have any recommendations for the specific categories mentioned in this thread except for for Dragonfree, and I just remembered what I was going to recommend to her was something I beta read so... Yeah.

So instead I will just wholeheartedly reccomend Cutlerine's Time and Tide because I love the writing style and the setting and the characters and hnnnnng.

Anyway, I'mma split what I want added to my fic backlog into three categories:

Canon Character Centric

To help with my own experiments with them I'm looking for fics starring canon characters or at least featuring them in prominent roles. Particular ones I'm looking for are N, AZ, Steven, Riley, Wallace, Cheryl, Sabrina, Cynthia, and Nando, but I will gladly read a good fic starring literally any human character from the games (including most spinoffs) or anime that isn't Ash or his Pikachu. Only real caveat is the fic shouldn't bash other canon characters because that's immature and stupid and always pisses me off.

Post-Apocalyptic AUs

After reading Sike Saner's Origin of Storms and Spiteful Murkrow's Fledglings and the aforementioned Time and Tide I'm in the mood for some more post-apocalyptic alternate timelines.

Note the post. I don't want any directly apocalyptic fics because then I'd have to deal with the horror of all my favorite canon characters dying horrible painful deaths. (Sorry, Jax.) Post-apocalyptic I can deal with because that stuff's more in the background and I can just apply LALALA, I'M NOT LISTENING

Plus post-apocalyptic stuff fascinates me when done right, especially if the survivors have already picked up the pieces and tried to rebuild in weird and interesting ways.

Only other thing to mention here is that since two of the three fics I mentioned involve human extinction I have a slight preference for fics with humans still around.

Conquest Fics!

Because I'm honestly usually not all that interested in PMD fics.

But yeah, any fics featuring one of my favorite spinoffs would be much appreciated. Bonus points if it's OCs in a Conquest-y setting.

Only caveats for all those is I'd rather things not get too dark and depressing.

But yeah, anything for any of those is much appreciated.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Well, as far as Sabrina goes, I'm a big fan of Renn Ireigh's "Patchouli" series. You can find the first installment right here on the forums from yonks ago; the rest are on her FFN account. They're generally character studies, almost all from Sabrina's POV, and definitely worth a read. You do run into some of the fun of the pokémon canon here in that Renn Ireigh draws most heavily from Pokémon Special for her conceptions of the characters and events, so you might be a little confused if you aren't familiar with it, but the characterization itself works just fine with what you see of her in the games. The series also gives Giovanni, Mewtwo, and Morty a lot of screentime, so it's also worth a look if you're a fan of one of them.

I realized recently that it's been a long time since I've read a good parody 'fic of any kind, so I'm wondering if anybody's seen a worthwhile one crop up recently. Also, just a note on the thread in general--you don't need to reply directly to the person above you, and you don't have to request a rec of your own when you leave one. I obviously only responded to a tiny, tiny portion of Umbramatic's request, so if you have anything else for him, you should still feel free to post it.

ASCIInerd73

User of the Internet
Is there a good pokemon-centric journey fanfic that doesn't die off very quickly or just repeat the same formula for each gym badge?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Is there a good pokemon-centric journey fanfic that doesn't die off very quickly or just repeat the same formula for each gym badge?

Well, if you're looking for a trainer fic, there's always Roots by Mrs. Lovett. It's currently on hiatus as she works through a revision, but it's forty-two pages of pretty solid trainer's journey, complete with a ton of worldbuilding and a strict avoidance of the "same old, same old" when it comes to pretty much every Pokémon battle. The latter is really only helped by the fact that it's set in 1960s Sinnoh, before the Sinnoh League developed into what it is today. Because of that, while training isn't exactly a new concept to them, a lot of the characters go into various battles not knowing or understanding what modern-day characters might. So you end up seeing a lot of experimenting going on in the battles. Couple that with the fact that Pokémon are treated like animals, and you've got a new experience in every gym. But even then, every single character has their own style and personality—which is to say that every gym leader has their own style and personality. So while you do have characters go to various cities and while the story is focusing on the trainer's journey itself, every new gym leader presents their own challenges and philosophies when it comes to Pokémon.

And I could really go on and on, but tl;dr, if you want a trainer fic, Roots is one that might keep you satiated for a bit.

Psychic

Really and truly
This is kind of a long shot, but I'd really like to read some fics about people (or even Pokemon) learning to use/control their psychic powers. I'll definitely have to give "Patchouli" a read, I've never heard of that series before!

I'm also really interested in fics about the Elite Four and Champions (preferably canon characters) from any region!

~Psychic

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Unfortunately I can't really offer Psychic much, although Patchouli does include some E4 members, and the last story does focus specifically on Sabrina learning to control her psychic abilities. If you're interested in Lance specifically of the Elite Four, purple_drake of course has a lot of great stories that center on him, and they do have some other E4 members playing relatively minor roles, too.

I'm looking for pokemon POV stories! What ones do you think are good? Either one-shots or longer works are fine, but nothing from the contest we had here, please (although that's a good thread to check out for anyone interested in pokemon POV writing in general!). PMD 'fics do not count.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Anybody have a funny, character-driven story that isn't too long?
Phoenixsong's "The Best Game" is a wonderful, humorous one-shot about Blue, Red, and Leaf. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet.

(I'm still interested in pokePOVs if anyone has them.)

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
I'm looking for a Pokémon fic that's post-apocalyptic themed, similar to Fallout, Mad Max, the Book of Eli, the Road, or something along those lines, but has Pokémon also. To me, I love the whole theme of survival, scavenging, and rebuilding, but has gritty fighting with traces to the civilization that once was.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Canon Character Centric

To help with my own experiments with them I'm looking for fics starring canon characters or at least featuring them in prominent roles. Particular ones I'm looking for are N, AZ, Steven, Riley, Wallace, Cheryl, Sabrina, Cynthia, and Nando, but I will gladly read a good fic starring literally any human character from the games (including most spinoffs) or anime that isn't Ash or his Pikachu. Only real caveat is the fic shouldn't bash other canon characters because that's immature and stupid and always pisses me off.

Well, there's my Obsession, which focuses on the collector from the second movie. There ARE some other canon characters in it but they don't play a major role.

Conquest Fics!

Well, you already know that you've taken a glance at Your Light. I eagerly await your review!

Dragonfree

Just me
Unfortunately, Blackjack, this thread has a rule against self-recs, as stated in the first post. Nothing against your fics, but this thread is for plugging others' works. Perhaps you'd like to VM people instead if you think your work is a good match for their request?

Creepychu

The horror
I'm looking for pokemon POV stories! What ones do you think are good? Either one-shots or longer works are fine, but nothing from the contest we had here, please (although that's a good thread to check out for anyone interested in pokemon POV writing in general!). PMD 'fics do not count.

You have likely already heard of this one since it's spent a lot of time on top of the thread list, but Fledglings is entirely pokémon PoV and a very interesting read. Definitely worth taking a look on the off chance you haven't already.

The Walrein

Threads are not dead, if on the bumpable index they lie,
and with strange aeons, even old requests may receive reply.

To start things off, I'm looking for a good old original trainer story. I'd prefer one that's at least five chapters in and not featured on TVTropes, since I'm familiar with those 'fics already. :p

How about The Long Walk? It has charming worldbuilding, a relaxed plot that focuses on personal growth and relationships (although not entirely without drama), interesting battles, and unusually mature protagonists for something in the OT journeyfic genre. It hasn't updated in about a year, but I know that the author is still highly active on another forum, so I have reason to believe that the fic will eventually get active updates again.

Or, for something with a bit more of an edge to it, there's Ripe And Ruin. It's about a teenager from lavender town, Geneva, who knows very little about training and lacks confidence in herself, but leaves on a journey to try to catch up with her long-time romantic interest, Pierce, who's focused on success and has no interest in being slowed down by her. It's dark in a way that feels natural given the world that's been developed, and has very realistic-feeling characters, a gastly starter, and a well-done Pokemon POV chapter.

I already have a long list of fics I've been meaning to read, but if you want to throw me some recs, I'm a sucker for a good friendship fic, including the Pokémon-human bond. I'm good with either pure happy fluff or heartwrenching tragedy (as in, for example, The Ties That Bind is one of my favorite Pokémon-human bond fics, and fanfics in general see what I did there with the sneaky extra rec), or anything in between.

For something on the 'pure happy fluff' end, I recommend Eevee's Story. It's a cute and light story told from an Eevee's perspective, and focuses on their relationship with their trainer and several other trainer's Pokemon (actually more the latter than the former, funnily enough). As a bonus, it's fully complete, clocking in at 63,087 words.

On the 'heartwrenching tragedy' end, there's Don't Say Uncle and Futility, which are about game-verse Red and Blue's relationship. The former is a one-shot about the two being friends, while the latter is a very infrequently updated chapterfic told from Blue's perspective about how that friendship falls apart after Red is possessed by a mysterious force. (Don't Say Uncle isn't necessarily set in the same universe as Futility, but there's nothing to contradict the idea and Futility has more emotional impact if you consider it as being such).

I'm also really interested in fics about the Elite Four and Champions (preferably canon characters) from any region!

~Psychic

How about The Long Road? It's a series of well-written vignettes taken from Steven Stone's journey to become the Pokemon Champion.

I'm looking for a well-written example of a Chosen One fic - on this site, FFN, anywhere. Preferably complete. Any suggestions?

Okay, I have to admit I've never actually finished reading this one myself, and I'm not strictly sure it counts as a 'Chosen One' story, but Dear Diary on the nuzlocke forums is complete and well written! It's a nuzlocke fic very loosely based off of Black version told from the perspective of the trainer's Pokemon. Blair, the trainer, is a 'Chosen One' just like the Black/White protagonists in the game, but is also a really, really terrible person, and these elements are well-explored in the fic.

There's I Became A Vulpix, which is technically from the perspective of a human who wakes up in the Pokemon world in the body of a severely-injured vulpix, but the protagonist has more of a Pokemon-like mentality than many Pokemon-from-birth characters. (Also, it's the 'human' Pokemon world, not the PMD pokemon world). She's adopted by a well-meaning but emotionally distant trainer from a wealthy family who's training to join the police force, a career which the protagonist is also roped into. A lot of the fic focuses on the relationship between the protagonist and the Ninetails also owned by the trainer's family, and there's a huge amount of detail and attention paid to the protagonist learning how exactly Pokemon powers work in this world and how to use them. There's also some very slow-burn mysteries going on in the background alongside the worldbuilding and character drama.

Also, you might like Tyler's Search, about an Eevee who goes on a quest to find his parents after they were captured by humans. It has some dark elements but overall remains on the lighter side of its 'T' rating. Unlike a few other fics in the genre, it doesn't portray trainers as monolithically evil, but it also doesn't suggest that kidnapping sapient creatures from the wilderness is completely okay so long as an evil team isn't doing it. It's a completed fic, at 253,350 words.

Okay! For my recommendations, I'd be up for some humor-focused stories which aren't parodies or comedic retellings of the games/anime! Nothing against those types of stories, but I feel like there's a largely untapped well of Pokemon comedy outside those bounds, and I'd be happy to see some examples of it.

Also, if anyone has any good Pokemon POV stories that haven't already been mentioned, I'd be glad to know about them! I'm probably already familiar with anything on the TV Tropes recommendation page or anything that's been published on this forum in the last two years, and I'm also familiar with Trainerless and Hyphen, to name two other random fics. I'd generally prefer non-PMD fics unless they have a strong focus on what it'd really be like to be a member of a different species or have other strong 'xenofiction-y' elements.

Misfit Angel

Vengeful Ferret
How about The Long Walk? It has charming worldbuilding, a relaxed plot that focuses on personal growth and relationships (although not entirely without drama), interesting battles, and unusually mature protagonists for something in the OT journeyfic genre.
I can happily second this recommendation! This is a very good summary for the story as well. I made my own recommendation of it earlier today on another forum, here's what I said:

It's a story that features a young and honorable man who wants to escape his dreary life to make a name for himself as a pokemon trainer, as well as a young Joy who doesn't want to get into the family business. There aren't massive amounts of tension in it and there isn't a very clearly defined antagonist, but you can feel things simmering between the two and the extended Joy family, who don't trust them when they're together. It's currently sitting on 28 chapters + 3 interludes.