• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fiction theme and its frequency of emphasis

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Hey everyone it's lanturn again!

I'm gonna need some more help about this new fic I'm writing, it's about bond and all that (if you saw my fossil thread, you'd have known :D).

I'm not asking for literal help, I'm just asking a question here. I think that this question might help others who are writing with a theme in mind.

Anyways, the fic will be about bond with pokemon and all that. However, I came across this stumbling block (for me at least). I have this one huge question that'll really help me down the road: how often should the main theme be emphasized?

Should the theme about bonding appear in every chapter? Or every few chapters? Or only when a new pokemon is caught? How often should it be emphasised? And what should happen in those "filler" chapters (if that's what you want to call it).

Thanks~

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
It should only be in as many chapters as you need it to be. That could be one, it could be all of them. I feel that a little reinforcement of what you're trying to get across every once in a while is okay, but not constantly. Then it would feel like you're shoving it down our throats. Filler chapters are just that; filler. They don't contribute to the plot whatsoever. This is the place for all your silly stuff or just a change of pace. If you want to take a break from the plot then a few filler chapters is good. This doesn't mean you can't have the main theme flowing through out it of course. It essentially comes down to preference. Do you want people to constantly know what you're trying to show? Or is it better to slide it in a chapter here and there?

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Yeah, I think the important thing is not to "force" the theme. Let it happen naturally when possible. Don't think with the mindset "I should bring in my theme here and here and here." If it's really a theme, I think its emphasis will appear recurringly on its own, just through the characters.