• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fight to the Top

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
The Pokemon games always lead us through starting out as a novice who battles all the trainers in a region, their rival and some villainous team, and after all that we just go straight to the Elite 4 and Champion

To me it's a little too easy, I think to add a challenge the need to make the Elite 4 and Champion a little more difficult to get to

That's why I would like to see them implement a tournament in the games, akin to the Pokemon League they have in the anime, where when and If you win you can challenge the E4

Now it may sound like a bit much, but I feel like it adds a little more to game, and it makes you work a little harder to reach the top

also, I would like a system where there are 12 Gyms in a region, still only eight badges needed, but you can pick and choose which gyms you wish to challenge

what do you guys think?

Bariokie

rock dog
That tournament wouldn't happen.. :(

But what COULD happen is that they add the Hoenn region into X and Y, Just like HG/SS :)

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
I think it's already fine the way it is-- whether it's easy or not. But having more than 8 gyms and more challenges before the league are interesting.

Räven Velish

black lives matter
I like the gym idea. Like your mom in the beginning of the game accidentally gives you a badge case with 12 badges, and you still only need 8 badges, but the last 4 can be optional. It doesn't even have to be 12, it could even be 9 or 10. TBH, I just want more badges than 8.

The Musician

Heracross trainer
I've always loved the idea of having more than eight gyms in a region and not requiring completion of all of them to enter the Pokemon League. This could help to remove the linear aspect of travel and progression in the games.

One of the main problems with that, however, is regulating the levels of gym leaders' Pokemon if you are not completing them all or in a designated order.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Despite the other replies on this thread, I don't think the more gyms idea is great. Since people are joining Pokemon all the time, and it will be confusing for them to read someone say something like 'instead of eight gyms in this region there are 12, but you only need to beat the normal 8 as in the other regions' and they'd be like 'WTF?' Also I'm a bit lazy, even when it comes to gaming so I wouldn't be bothered to go around and find the easiest gyms. So I wouldn't get the full experience of the game.

But the tournament idea is amazing. I've really liked an idea of a bit tournament like that. More like the anime Pokemon leagues where there are hundreds of competitors. Rather than the eight in the PWT.

But I doubt either of these things will ever happen.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Well I don't believe the tournament idea is all that far fetched, I'm essentially it would work like your Battle Tower/Subway giving you random opponents to defeat, the first one would probably be similar to the first pwt in B2W2, I don't see why it couldn't work

@The Musician: Gym levels would be pretty much how they are now, the later the route the higher the levels, the point is to train and battle as much as you want with being forced to battle a specific Gym just to continue

@Shade2000: I'm the complete opposite, I loved HeartGold, but I hate the way your so under leveled (at least I am) around the Elite 4, I think a few more routes with trainers and Gyms could help stuff like that

Chronodia

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
I'd quite like to see something that extended the life of the main game as well, either through additional storyline scenarios that drew you away from the "main quest" as such, or additional obstacles thrown in your path. Despite their open world policy, Pokemon games have always felt very streamlined to me: you go here, then you go there, and so on. If you deviate, you get a line of random NPCs blocking your way, none-too-gently pushing you back onto the path the game wants you to follow, taking your hand quite firmly. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing - after all, finding wild Level 50 Pokemon in grass when you're only level 20 is as strong an indicator that you're not supposed to be somewhere as a physical roadblock - but it would be nice to see a little more choice and a little more variety in what was done, and a little more challenge in those choices.

But to be honest, I don't think it has to be something new: I'd be perfectly happy if they just upped the difficulty level of what they already have. Challenge Mode in B2W2 was a step in the right direction, but even that was utterly pitiful...and somewhat pointless, given how you had to unlock it. Forcing players to adopt actual strategies in battles rather than just "grind about five levels above your enemy and beat them down with brute force" would help make the Elite Four harder to get to, and probably make the games more fun as well. The problem with Pokemon is that, outside of levelling - which in itself doesn't take very long unless you take it to extremes - you don't really have to work to get anywhere. Making players work would amount to the same thing, I think.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
I'd quite like to see something that extended the life of the main game as well, either through additional storyline scenarios that drew you away from the "main quest" as such, or additional obstacles thrown in your path. Despite their open world policy, Pokemon games have always felt very streamlined to me: you go here, then you go there, and so on. If you deviate, you get a line of random NPCs blocking your way, none-too-gently pushing you back onto the path the game wants you to follow, taking your hand quite firmly. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing - after all, finding wild Level 50 Pokemon in grass when you're only level 20 is as strong an indicator that you're not supposed to be somewhere as a physical roadblock - but it would be nice to see a little more choice and a little more variety in what was done, and a little more challenge in those choices.

But to be honest, I don't think it has to be something new: I'd be perfectly happy if they just upped the difficulty level of what they already have. Challenge Mode in B2W2 was a step in the right direction, but even that was utterly pitiful...and somewhat pointless, given how you had to unlock it. Forcing players to adopt actual strategies in battles rather than just "grind about five levels above your enemy and beat them down with brute force" would help make the Elite Four harder to get to, and probably make the games more fun as well. The problem with Pokemon is that, outside of levelling - which in itself doesn't take very long unless you take it to extremes - you don't really have to work to get anywhere. Making players work would amount to the same thing, I think.

If you talk about streamline travel, that will be the same for many other RPG games as well, not only Pokemon alone. But really, that is the plot device of RPG games, which you (nor the game scenario editor) cannot do much, because without it, the player will not know what to do next.

Unlocking a higher difficulty level is also not something new, which it was done for almost all the Tales of Series games. But, since it is unlockable only at the post-game story, it is also nothing interesting, because when you are at that point in the gameplay, there is nothing much to achieve, that extra difficulty level is then became just an ornament inside the option.

To tell the truth, I'd like GF to learn the gameplay from Final Fantasy series, where you can travel to anywhere in the world up to certain point in the game, but yet have many places you can't go yet, due to story plot, or the level difference such that going to that place will one-hit-KO your party. Then, the middle boss during the plot (Gym leaders if in the case of Pokemon games) have a much higher level and status than normal monster encounterable in the wild, which the players need much more effort than just level-up to defeat.

I'd really hope GF to boost up the levels and power of all sorts of trainer battles (+ legendary Pokemon battle as well), so the situation of me as the player one-hit-KO the Gym Leader by just level-up will gone. Beating the Gym Leader so easily is really not interesting at all, that's why I prefer other RPG games, because even I level-up, the middle boss can still defeat me if I'm not careful, which gives me a challenge that I wanted to accomplish.

But I'm sure that will never happen for sure, because 1) Base states of the Pokemon were dead-set, and it will never receive a major alternation. Even there was a few Pokemon received a stat change in the past, the change was less than 10% of the original BS, so by over-all view, that Pokemon didn't change much from the original. 2) Because Pokemon is there to "catch", so making some Pokemon extremely powerful will just unbalance the player's team if player catch that Pokemon. 3) I found GF quite stubborn about a game's fundamental gameplay system. They may add new features to a new game of the same series, but never do major change to the things that were already done in the past. That is not only for Pokemon, but also for other games developed by GF (though, I do have to say, GF didn't developed a lot of games other than Pokemon).

Golemite

Cool idea, but I don't think it's going to happen.

However, the world needs something like THE official online Pokémon League. There should be an Elite Four and possibly the Champion, those consisting of who people vote five best Pokémon players around the internet. To get to them, there should be the Pokémon League tournament. All this taking place annually or so, with the tournament champion having the right to try to defeat the E4 and the Champ in a row during that time. Or something.

I would definitely follow such, even if I'm not much of a WiFi player myself. :) If there was one league over others, it would be extremely nice.

Well, in the game, the game could generate the tournament opponents from leveled lists or something, so that their teams would get progressively harder. Lots of choices and coding to be done, though.

randomspot555

I don't see how throwing in another group of trainers between the 8th gym and the E4 makes the game more difficult or challenging. If anything, it breaks the mold of the Pokemon game and just adds a layer for the sake of adding a layer.

If you want to do this, through trainer re-matches, you can already do this on your own. Spend a day or two at the Big/Little Stadiums, or use the re-match systems in Gen 4 if playing those games.

The difficulty of a Pokemon game is basically decided by the player. Often, when people say the game is "too easy" , they often seem to use their favorite, most powerful Pokemon and just steamroll through AI trainers. Perhaps if they used a Pokemon they weren't so used to or wasn't so powerful, or put limits on themselves such as how many and how often they can use items, it might be more difficult.

RoySceptile

Bakaner
^ I don't think people like that, because the game itself does not throw the 'challenge' at them.
And why would anyone play a game with Pokemon they consider 'bad' to try to add to the challenge? I think people want to be challenged with Pokemon they like.

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
To me it's a little too easy, I think to add a challenge the need to make the Elite 4 and Champion a little more difficult to get to

That's why I would like to see them implement a tournament in the games, akin to the Pokemon League they have in the anime, where when and If you win you can challenge the E4

I don't really see this as necessary and if you find it too easy then that's the way the games have always, been. Try something yourself to make the games harder, do a bug monorun or a nuzlocke or something. Pokemon has always really been about the self made challenge, moreso than the actual challenge posed by the games.

Also, I wouldn't exactly say no to this, yet, I don't really think it's really needed. If you want a tournament, then just play Battle Subway.

also, I would like a system where there are 12 Gyms in a region, still only eight badges needed, but you can pick and choose which gyms you wish to challenge

Maybe, like how in some of the games you can play gyms out of order. But the real thing I would ask is, why change it at all?

Despite the other replies on this thread, I don't think the more gyms idea is great. Since people are joining Pokemon all the time, and it will be confusing for them to read someone say something like 'instead of eight gyms in this region there are 12, but you only need to beat the normal 8 as in the other regions' and they'd be like 'WTF?' Also I'm a bit lazy, even when it comes to gaming so I wouldn't be bothered to go around and find the easiest gyms. So I wouldn't get the full experience of the game.

Why in the world would anyone be that confused about this? People join games all of the time, and even children would understand. Then there's the fact that you'd be too lazy to complete all of the gyms, well wouldn't that be better, make the game less of a slog?

But the tournament idea is amazing. I've really liked an idea of a bit tournament like that. More like the anime Pokemon leagues where there are hundreds of competitors. Rather than the eight in the PWT.

You could really do battle throught hundreds of competitors? But you can't battle twelve gyms? Hmm.

To tell the truth, I'd like GF to learn the gameplay from Final Fantasy series, where you can travel to anywhere in the world up to certain point in the game, but yet have many places you can't go yet, due to story plot, or the level difference such that going to that place will one-hit-KO your party. Then, the middle boss during the plot (Gym leaders if in the case of Pokemon games) have a much higher level and status than normal monster encounterable in the wild, which the players need much more effort than just level-up to defeat.

I'd really hope GF to boost up the levels and power of all sorts of trainer battles (+ legendary Pokemon battle as well), so the situation of me as the player one-hit-KO the Gym Leader by just level-up will gone. Beating the Gym Leader so easily is really not interesting at all, that's why I prefer other RPG games, because even I level-up, the middle boss can still defeat me if I'm not careful, which gives me a challenge that I wanted to accomplish.

Pokemon is meant to be enjoyed by children, actually functioning as a gate into playing harder, more challenging RPG's. (As far as the main part of the games themselves competitive battling is completely different). As I have said before, you can pretty much create your own challenge in Pokemon, just by choosing the weak Pokemon or restricting yourself. The levels are meant so that anyone can really beat them, if they know what they're doing, I'm sure that people who know less about the game have wider views and different opinions on them.

RE: Pokemon vs Final Fantasy. Pokemon and Final Fantasy are very different, and they're as similarly as they really should. Pokemon does it's own way of restricting player's movements, which is very similar. (Plus don't say that Game Freak should learn from Square Enix. Judging by the recent quality of the main series games, the learning should be the other way around.)

Cool idea, but I don't think it's going to happen.

However, the world needs something like THE official online Pokémon League. There should be an Elite Four and possibly the Champion, those consisting of who people vote five best Pokémon players around the internet. To get to them, there should be the Pokémon League tournament. All this taking place annually or so, with the tournament champion having the right to try to defeat the E4 and the Champ in a row during that time. Or something.

I would definitely follow such, even if I'm not much of a WiFi player myself. :) If there was one league over others, it would be extremely nice.

This couldn't really happen. And it would just be better to do an online leaderboard anyway.

randomspot555

^ I don't think people like that, because the game itself does not throw the 'challenge' at them.

That's nice. But the fact is if someone wants to fight another set of trainers between point X and point Y, they already can. Games shouldn't be overhauled to cater to someone's personal fan-fic.

And why would anyone play a game with Pokemon they consider 'bad' to try to add to the challenge? I think people want to be challenged with Pokemon they like.

If the complaint is "Pokemon is too easy", then the answer is "stop steamrolling it with the same 6 monsters you've been using for a decade. Try something different" I didn't say bad, but challenging.

The fact is, Pokemon games can be more difficult. People who complain about it being too easy simply aren't trying.