• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fighting Ire With Fire! (631)

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This was a great episode. Monferno learning to control blaze by evolving was pure epic. Both Barry and Paul were great in this episode, though Paul seemed slightly ooc IMO. All these Paul and Chimchar plot episodes just continue to impress me.
10/10

Much better than whatever the heck "Chim-Charred" was supposed to be: it was okay in my eyes. Not bad, but not good. Paul was less of a d*ck than usual, which was nice, and Barry was good for once (normally, this guy made me want to smash my face in, too), Ash was nothing special/okay, Brock was bad and useless here (that is how he is in most DP eps, though, so I'm not surprised), TRio were bad as always here, and Dawn was also just okay this episode.

Rating: 70/100

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I actually felt pretty bad for Barry here; Paul snubbed him hard. Team Rocket's rocker disguises made me shriek in a good way and it was cool that Dawn learned the location of the Grand Festival. TR trapping Ash and friends in bubbles made me cackle, but Monferno's Blaze drama and eventual evolution made me yawn; I wasn't here for his antics at all.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I find it funny that Paul just watches Ash and the rest of the group deal with Team Rocket and not do anything until after they blast off by helping them save their Pokemon while Monferno was still on the rampage before it evolved and found a way to sort of control its blaze at that moment.
10/10

phanpycross

God-king
How on earth did Barry even beat Volkner, with all the empoleon spam he's been doing?

I kinda forgot how badass Paul sounded in the anime, Id hate to be the person meeting him in a dark alley after a loss :D

Considering monferno is a fighting type and empoleon is steel type, I wonder why they bothered bringing up monferno's disadvantage?

Barry's fining gag sucks, plain and simple, and remember when recharge moves needed to recharge, pepperidge farm remembers.

Great scene with monferno and Ash, I kinda regret saying DP Ash lacks personality...

Paul sure takes taking his time helping out Ash lol.

Great episode, infernape is pure badass in a bottle.

10/10.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I felt kind of sad for Barry when Paul got grouchy with him, tho Barry having all eight badges already was impressive. Monferno's evolution scene was amazing and I was glad that Paul got to see that. ^^

Paul's lack of involvement against Team Rocket seemed really cold of him + Monferno's evolution felt like it should've been saved for a better episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jun meeting his hero Shinji was a nice moment, but I always knew that Shinji wouldn't like Jun much since Jun was hyperactive and peppy. Satoshi's Goukazaru's debut at the climax was fantastic however. It made up for the episode's slow pacing.

Paul1985

Ana de Armas fan
I liked this episode and I'm glad Ash's Monferno evolved into Infernape.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Oh lookie here, Monferno evolved into Infernape in this episode and showed his hax power. And Paul helped out a little bit, too. Now that Ash has another powerful Pokemon on his DP team, things will get very interesting. ;)

Alloutℯ

Banned
Paul's declaration at the end of the episode came off as epic. This episode was very well written, well acted, and I never got the issue with BGM. It's always been fine by me.

ZilverLox

Banned
So we once again saw Paul and I can't help saying that I admire that guy more and more. He's got so many features which I would have as well if I were a trainer. The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm also reaching the conclusion that Paul as a character is at least as good as Ash. Anyway, with Infernape on his side, Ash finally has a Pokemon that certainly belongs to my all-time favorites. :)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
So we once again saw Paul and I can't help saying that I admire that guy more and more. He's got so many features which I would have as well if I were a trainer.

Eh, he was kind of an *** here with the way that he still looked down on Monferno up until his evolution sequence, though.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Given that this episode gave us the debut of Satoshi's Goukazaru, I do kind of wonder why Ohba didn't show up since his own Goukazaru could've been the catalyst for the evolution, instead of us getting another lukewarm Rocket-dan induced evolution.

Daizy

I call you honey
How ironic that Paul called the Sunyshore Gym Leader the weakest in Sinnoh. Kinda disappointed that we only got to see Paul's Electabuzz. Would've been nice to see all three final forms of the Sinnoh starters together for a change.

Scorbunnie

For the first time ever since I had witnessed Blaze I thought Monferno looked really scary and even though he evolved isn't it sad that Paul still didn't respect him?

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Of course I really liked this ep. Seeing Barry, Ash, and Paul all meet and talk together briefly was nice; this scene has been memed for the awkward tension and I see why. Seeing Paul be completely unfazed by Barry was funny, as was their disagreement on Sunnyshore. Of course he wouldn’t appreciate Volkner moping around, Barry probably didn’t care lol

Monferno evolving was a great moment; he still lost control of Blaze for a bit but it wasn’t as severe as Chimchar doing so. Ash letting himself be completely enveloped in Blaze was another great moment for him, that + Monferno learning to control Blaze if even for a bit kickstarting his evolution made a lot of sense. Infernape the goat is here yessir

Ahhhh but I loved all the Ash and Paul interactions. Ash warning Barry about his strength and acknowledging his merits was a big step for how he views Paul, and it’s not one-sided at all. Ever since Snowpoint and Acuity you can tell Paul has changed and is a lot more open and amicable; he would’ve just told Barry off before but he declined and gave a reason for why he didn’t want to battle. Having Electabuzz protect everyone and try to break the fall was a great character moment for him (I’ve said ‘great’ 3 times now). Ash thanking him and him just using his brother as an excuse for accepting Ash’s battle request made me smile; Paul is genuinely a tsundere lmaooo. Love ‘em

DarkusHeracross

Of course I really liked this ep. Seeing Barry, Ash, and Paul all meet and talk together briefly was nice; this scene has been memed for the awkward tension and I see why. Seeing Paul be completely unfazed by Barry was funny, as was their disagreement on Sunnyshore. Of course he wouldn’t appreciate Volkner moping around, Barry probably didn’t care lol

Monferno evolving was a great moment; he still lost control of Blaze for a bit but it wasn’t as severe as Chimchar doing so. Ash letting himself be completely enveloped in Blaze was another great moment for him, that + Monferno learning to control Blaze if even for a bit kickstarting his evolution made a lot of sense. Infernape the goat is here yessir

Ahhhh but I loved all the Ash and Paul interactions. Ash warning Barry about his strength and acknowledging his merits was a big step for how he views Paul, and it’s not one-sided at all. Ever since Snowpoint and Acuity you can tell Paul has changed and is a lot more open and amicable; he would’ve just told Barry off before but he declined and gave a reason for why he didn’t want to battle. Having Electabuzz protect everyone and try to break the fall was a great character moment for him (I’ve said ‘great’ 3 times now). Ash thanking him and him just using his brother as an excuse for accepting Ash’s battle request made me smile; Paul is genuinely a tsundere lmaooo. Love ‘em
10 years to late buddy