• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Final Fantasy Discussion

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Does XIII-2 have the same battle system as the first one? I don't wanna spoil much by looking at videos.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Does XIII-2 have the same battle system as the first one? I don't wanna spoil much by looking at videos.

Yes the Paradigm system stayed but you can now have quick time events and the leveling up system was refined to have 1 tree. Also Monsters can join you in your battle so you can sic a Behemoth on your opponent.

Or better yet a sunglass wearing Cactus lol.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
FFVII i was originally taken aback by the fact that it had bad graphics but i still regret not getting everything from it, i played it and when i got over the graphics loved every minute of it

Yeah, the storyline is absolutely brilliant in that game. I think some of us people who played it when we were young actually love the graphics. I know I do, which is why I'm not bothered whether or not they remake it. Nothing could beat the original!

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I pretty much lost interest after FFX. I don't wanna play online as I have a gaming addictive personality.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I pretty much lost interest after FFX. I don't wanna play online as I have a gaming addictive personality.

They all went downhill after FFX in terms of how a typical Final Fantasy game should be, so you're not missing out on much. Enix ruined it in my opinion.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
They all went downhill after FFX in terms of how a typical Final Fantasy game should be, so you're not missing out on much. Enix ruined it in my opinion.

Good thing its only your opinion. Final Fantasy Versus XIII is gonna be awesome from what we know of it.

Also XIII-2 takes all of XIII mistakes and fixes it. Just wait for the English review over here. It already has perfect scores in Japan.

Rakurai

It's mostly the same, but it's been streamlined in a number of ways, such as preemptive attacks not taking forever when there's a ton of enemies, and paradigm shifts being almost instantaneous.

The main additions are the blood damage (Damage to your max HP that adds a somewhat constant sense of urgency to battles, though it's healable through death, items, or monster abilities), and the ability to recruit practically all of the enemies (Excluding humans and cieth) from XIII for use as party members on top of dozens of new ones, each of which has their own feral link/ synchro drive attack to use (Essentially a limit break).

The crystarium system was also changed to having a more traditional level system for each role, and is straightforward, rather then having branching paths. There's also no limit on how high you can get each role (Outside of reaching the level cap of 99), meaning you can just grind now if a boss is too tough to beat.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Good thing its only your opinion. Final Fantasy Versus XIII is gonna be awesome from what we know of it.

Also XIII-2 takes all of XIII mistakes and fixes it. Just wait for the English review over here. It already has perfect scores in Japan.

They make all Final Fantasy games seem like they're brilliant. I hope they actually do make a more traditional style Final Fantasy, but I can't see there being any more games that are on the same level as VI - X from Square-Enix.

ForeverFlame

XIII-2 does have a secret ending after all! It's about a minute long and it basically explains Caius' motives. It takes place during Eternal Rest, so that ending is 100% canon.

Vernikova

Champion
I don't come here at all but I have to say that the "Crazy Chocobo" track from XIII-2's soundtrack is terrible as is most of the soundtrack. I feel it's a definite step down from XIII's soundtrack which I found to be okay in general.

Phoopes

There it is.

XII wasn't too terrible, but certainly not up to the standards of some, like IV, VI, VII, and X.

Rakurai

I don't come here at all but I have to say that the "Crazy Chocobo" track from XIII-2's soundtrack is terrible as is most of the soundtrack. I feel it's a definite step down from XIII's soundtrack which I found to be okay in general.

Amusingly, they seem to have anticipated that Crazy Chocobo was going to be hit or miss, as they included the option to change the chocobo riding music so you don't have to hear it. I'd have to disagree about most of the soundtrack being terrible, though.

Outside of the few out of place rap and metal songs, I'd say the soundtrack is as good, if not better then XIII, and I personally loved XIII's soundtrack.

Many of the songs are far better when you're actually playing the game. I especially like The Last Travel. It's a nice song, but it has even more of an impact when it plays as
you explore the desolate (Yet still strangely beautiful in its own way) future Noel comes from.

Last edited:

ForeverFlame

The orchestrated pieces are some of the best in the series. The heavy metal and rap aren't that great on their own, but they do add to the atmosphere a bit.

Vernikova

Champion
Amusingly, they seem to have anticipated that Crazy Chocobo was going to be hit or miss, as they included the option to change the chocobo riding music so you don't have to hear it. I'd have to disagree about most of the soundtrack being terrible, though.

Outside of the few out of place rap and metal songs, I'd say the soundtrack is as good, if not better then XIII, and I personally loved XIII's soundtrack.

Many of the songs are far better when you're actually playing the game. I especially like The Last Travel. It's a nice song, but it has even more of an impact when it plays as
you explore the desolate (Yet still strangely beautiful in its own way) future Noel comes from.

The "better while actually watching or playing" thing comes up a lot and it's probably true much of the time. It's just that I don't plan to buy this game anytime soon after the North American release just because of a rule-of-thumb I have with games these days so all I'll have to listen to will be the soundtrack alone. Though I guess I could watch some walkthroughs to see if they change my mind.

The orchestrated pieces are some of the best in the series. The heavy metal and rap aren't that great on their own, but they do add to the atmosphere a bit.

Could you specifically list them? I'll try them out again to see if I change my mind but none of the songs sound any better than "Blinded By Light".

Though if we're going to compare orchestrated pieces from throughout the series, I prefer most of the Distant World albums, FFVI Grand Finale, and FFVIII Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec. I guess that would be unfair though considering that those are essentially greatest hits albums for the series.

ForeverFlame

Caius' recurring leitmotif. So amazing. It shows up in a number of Chaos-related songs. It's easy to see why, because it starts off with a loud and vocal "Dea Mortis" (Goddess of Death), the entire premise of the game. It also has a feeling of serenity and tragedy, which hints towards Caius' true nature. It sounds like it came straight out of Final Fantasy VIII. Caius' theme is also present in Followers of Chaos, Eternal Paradox (sounds like it came from a Hollywood movie), and also Heart of Chaos

There are other good songs as well, but all of the Caius-related songs are my favorite.

Rakurai

I'm spending so much time musing over what monsters I want to use and what formations I'll use them in that I feel like I'm waiting for a Pokemon game.

I just hope they'll include bosses that are tough enough to warrant having a trio of extremely tricked out monsters, since from what I've seen, the overall difficulty is considerably lower then in XIII.

Rowdy

I'm spending so much time musing over what monsters I want to use and what formations I'll use them in that I feel like I'm waiting for a Pokemon game.

I just hope they'll include bosses that are tough enough to warrant having a trio of extremely tricked out monsters, since from what I've seen, the overall difficulty is considerably lower then in XIII.

I'm guessing you have the pre-order that will net you an Omega Weapon capture, huh?

Rakurai

Actually, I did the Gamestop preorder, because I much prefer Serah's alt costume to her standard costume, and I don't plan on using Omega as a monster. Granted, being able to have a notorious FF V boss on your team is cool and all, but it's not quite as appealing to me when I have virtually every single monster from XIII plus more to use, and I'll be able to use the costume from get-go, whereas I'd only have a realistic chance of beating and recruiting Omega in the endgame/postgame.

I also strongly believe they'll end up releasing the Omega DLC on the PSN in the future, since it would be completely unfair to the US players if they didn't (Both JP and EU players have access to all of our pre-order bonuses).

Last edited:

satanicjesus

Favourite Final Fantasy and why?

FFV, FFIX, and FFXII are my favourites. FFV for its job system, FFIX because of awesome and FFXII for its world.

Favourite characters and why?

Faris (pirate!), Freya (jumping rat!) and Balthier (skypirate!)

Upcoming releases.

I'll be buying FFXIII-2 but maybe not right away. It's an FF game, it won't disappear fast like an Atlus game.

General opinions on the different games.

FF (PSP) - I thought the graphics were very cute. It's battle system is OK. I played it twice. The second time I had everyone at level 99 and had two saves, one for beating the game and one for the optional stuff and my saves got wiped. :(
FF3 (DS) - Only played this once. I did enjoy it, especially because of the job system. But now I've played FFV, I can't replay this.
FF4 (DS/PSP) - I played this almost right after beating FF3 and thought I wouldn't like it as much because of no job system, I was proven wrong. It's a great game. I've now started FF4 on the PSP.
FF5 (GBA) - Brilliant job system. First time I played it I maxed the clock at 99.59 and I didn't even master all the jobs. I'm currently replaying it to master every job on everyone.
FF7 (PSN) - First time playing this. The blocky graphics don't bother me too much.
FF9 (PSN) - I'm only at the Mages Village and I know this is one of my games ever. It's also my first time playing it.
FF10 (PS2) - I do like this game, from the sphere grid to the battle system to the characters. I'll be picking up the PSVita version.
FF10-2 (PS2) - I like the job and battle systems but some of the other stuff was very annoying.
FF12 (PS2) - I loved exploring and wandering around just killing stuff.
FF13 (PS3) - I own it but I haven't played it yet.