• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Final Fantasy Discussion

Recon

Is it just me or does the 2 main characters + 1 monster battle system resemble the battle system in ToS: DotNW?

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Is it just me or does the 2 main characters + 1 monster battle system resemble the battle system in ToS:DotNW?

This is exactly right.

I managed to find a hard copy of FF8 for four dollars used today. I couldn't pass that up, but it still seems completely ****ing mad. I can understand FF13 for $8 (which is what I got it at and still feel a little ripped off over it), but wow.

Rakurai

I think my only gripe with the monsters in XIII-2 at this point is that they didn't bother to alter the movement speed or attack speed of the monsters after you recruit them, which can make them borderline useless even if they have good stats and abilities.

A Hoplite I recruited literally spent almost 10 seconds chasing an Uridimmu around trying to get close enough to hit it due to the combination of how slow it is and how bad it is at turning, coupled with the fact that its target was almost constantly darting between party members and jumping backwards at random intervals.

Seriously? I paid thirty dollars for a used copy of FFVI Advance. I must be dancing mad.

Well, I think that $30 is either rather fair or entirely too much for FF6 thanks to PSN having it for $10, but you do have to buy a PS3 for that and have a way to pay them.

However, I'm fairly certain that $4 for a copy of FF8 is a pretty good deal. Even if that is the game that gets the piss beat out of it by the fanbase...

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Yeah, you can get it for dirt cheap now, considering how much it was only a few months ago.

Recon

Seriously? I paid thirty dollars for a used copy of FFVI Advance. I must be dancing mad.

I see what you did there.

IMO, I think that FFVI was one of the best FF games, even better than VII (flameshield on!). Kefka was a freaking bad*** and his surprise at the end? Holy ****.

Shneak

Finally got around to playing the demo. I kind of suck at XIII-2 though. Any tips?

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Finally got around to playing the demo. I kind of suck at XIII-2 though. Any tips?

Guy joining the FFXIII bandwagon hate: Just keep pressing X, you noob! Seriously, why are you even playing this Japanese game? Mass Effect and Skyrim Rulez!!

My response: keep changing paradigms.

Anyways, anyone know what the soundtracks are in the FFXIII-2 CE? That sweet 4-disc soundtrack is probably the biggest reason why I am even getting the game (come on, just TWO main characters and a monster fighting by your side? FFX-2 AT LEAST gave you THREE characters...).

PS. How long is FFV? I got it on PSN, but haven't got far because there's still some games in my backlog that I want to finish. I just recently beat Siren. I got FFVI already bought and downloaded, but don't want to start it until FFV is done.

Vernikova

Champion
Anyways, anyone know what the soundtracks are in the FFXIII-2 CE? That sweet 4-disc soundtrack is probably the biggest reason why I am even getting the game (come on, just TWO main characters and a monster fighting by your side? FFX-2 AT LEAST gave you THREE characters...).

There isn't anything special in it.

V is, like, a 40-hour game rounded up.

Rakurai

Defeating monsters with a feral link gives you a higher chance of them turning into a crystal afterward, moreso if the synchronization rating is high (The more button inputs the feral link requires, the higher the max synchronization rate can be).

You can also abuse the retry option in encounters with multiple monsters by defeating a monster you want, then retrying if it doesn't crystallize.

If you want instant gratification, monsters that are classified as "early peakers" on their status screen reach their full potential very quickly, and are often pretty/extremely overpowered compared to other monsters of a similar level in the same area.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
There isn't anything special in it.

V is, like, a 40-hour game rounded up.

Can you be more specific? Are the soundtracks horrible, or something like that? Like there's really nothing special about FFXIII-2's music selection? There were a couple of soundtracks that I liked in FFXIII that I wished I had in a CD so I could transfer it to my PS3, IPhone, and PSP. Also, how many songs are there? And how long is the WHOLE 4-disc soundtrack?

Fenix

Tremulant
I've only played FFIII and FFIV (the DS remakes) and enjoyed what they were. III had a silly save system and the amount of grinding needed was unbelievable.

Being a PC gamer (that also plays games on Nintendo handhelds sometimes) I really didn't get the chance to play many of these series games.

My best friend is a huge Final Fantasy fan though, and she has made a series of videos covering the entire game and some key fights and has put them on Youtube. So I have kind of played FFX too, I guess?

Rakurai

Can you be more specific? Are the soundtracks horrible, or something like that? Like there's really nothing special about FFXIII-2's music selection? There were a couple of soundtracks that I liked in FFXIII that I wished I had in a CD so I could transfer it to my PS3, IPhone, and PSP. Also, how many songs are there? And how long is the WHOLE 4-disc soundtrack?

There's 79 songs, and the soundtrack is just over five hours in total length.

Compared to XIII, the soundtrack is very diverse in terms of the styles of music used, and I personally love it. Overall, a lot more people seem to like the soundtrack then hate it as far as I've noticed from comments, though there are a few experimental songs (Rap and metal songs, to be specific) that are really hit or miss (Miss in my case).

Last edited:

Shneak

I'm just not sure how to use the paradigms well. I seem to be a very offensive person, so I usually just used those, but I don't know how to use the defending paradigms with good timing and use.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
I'm just not sure how to use the paradigms well. I seem to be a very offensive person, so I usually just used those, but I don't know how to use the defending paradigms with good timing and use.

Medic/Sentinal/Medic is your best bet if you die a lot. Also don't forget to upgrade your crystalium so you have more attack and other stats.

Rakurai

As far as defensive paradigms go, I find myself using MED/RAV/COM, MED/MED/SEN and SEN/SEN/SEN the most often.

The first is for those moments where a single party member is becoming the target of a lot of abuse due to bad luck, the second is for when everyone is hurting badly, and the third is used solely for the purpose of mitigating damage from slow, choreographed attacks like Atlas' punches.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna

What the roles basically do-
Commando: Deals a massive ampunt of damage when an enemy has been staggered
Ravager: To stagger an enemy
Synergist: To buff your characters; might not seem useful at first, but the later bosses and missions are a *****, so these are needed
Medic: To heal team partners
Sentinel: To defend yourself and attract enemy attention so that your other guys can keep on doing their thing
Saboteur: To mess up your enemies

When fighting strong enemies, I recommend you start with Sentinel/Saboteur/Synergist. Buff your guys, weaken your enemies, and use Sentinel so that your Syn/Sab guys don't die. After that use Commando/Ravager/Medic. To heal, increase stagger rate, and deal damage. After your guys are fully healed and your enemy is staggered, use Commando/Commando/Ravager. Ravager to keep on increasing the stagger rate, and two Commandos to deal a f@ckload of damage......
Only if you have the right abilities