• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Final Fantasy Discussion

Calamity™

aka Lamia
At least Tonberry is nice enough to walk towards you slowly and stab you with it's knife lol.

lol This reminds me of Mission 34 in Final Fantasy XIII in the Haerii Archaeopolis. Some large undying Cie'th appears and Tonberry stabs it once near it's foot and it instantly dies. It's a shame Tonberry itself was so easy to beat in this game.

I love Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2. Final Fantasy XIII was the first major Final Fantasy game I ever played and it instantly drew my interest. I'm currently playing XIII-2 at the moment and it's great.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Really bummed that I don't have XIII-2

I guess another playthrough of XIII will suffice.

ForeverFlame

I love Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2. Final Fantasy XIII was the first major Final Fantasy game I ever played and it instantly drew my interest. I'm currently playing XIII-2 at the moment and it's great.

The problem with the XIII miniseries is that they're good games on their own, but they're not as good as IV/V/VI/VII/VIII/IX/X/XII/Tactics. I'd recommend that you play all of the FF games specified if you haven't already (IV is a good starting point, then try playing VI and VII). Then you'll see how shallow XIII really is.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
The problem with the XIII miniseries is that they're good games on their own, but they're not as good as IV/V/VI/VII/VIII/IX/X/XII/Tactics. I'd recommend that you play all of the FF games specified if you haven't already (IV is a good starting point, then try playing VI and VII). Then you'll see how shallow XIII really is.

Opinions, what would we do without them? FF I all the way to XII is Turn Based RPG but FFXIII breaks that tradition.

For a newcomer who has started off in FXIII, going back to Turn Based is like regressing. Sure its possible but it will likely be uncomfortable.

I don't like turn based RPG's all that much anymore except for FFX.

Vernikova

Champion
For a newcomer who has started off in FXIII, going back to Turn Based is like regressing. Sure its possible but it will likely be uncomfortable.

I never saw how a turn based system would be a regression to be honest (especially since this is a Pokémon board which is turn based). I assume that this person has played Pokémon so it shouldn't be that uncomfortable.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
I never saw how a turn based system would be a regression to be honest (especially since this is a Pokémon board which is turn based). I assume that this person has played Pokémon so it shouldn't be that uncomfortable.

But we aren't talking about Pokemon. Its like if Pokemon went ATB style and then went back to Turn Based style after everyone loved the ATB style.

See what I mean? Sure it might not work like that for him but in some cases it can get boring. ATB style requires constant attention and on the spot changes to your strategy which is a great strong point of the FFXIII.

Not saying Turn Based RPG is bad though. FFX is amazing and so are other Turn Based RPGs. But ATB is just plain better IMO for FF series. That or Kingdom Hearts style. (aka Free Roam, Hack and Slash RPG)

Which is why FFXIII- Versus looks so awesome.

ForeverFlame

Opinions, what would we do without them? FF I all the way to XII is Turn Based RPG but FFXIII breaks that tradition.

I don't like turn based RPG's all that much anymore except for FFX.

Actually, IV broke the tradition back in 1991. IV all the way to IX are ATB. XIII just introduced a shoddy modified version of IV's battle system that promotes laziness. It doesn't require strategy at all. You can just spam X and automatically win most battles. From IV to IX, you actually had to control multiple party members within the ATB time limits. IV had five party members that you were responsible for. It's especially brutal with the fastest ATB settings and no wait time set for spells/items.

Anyway, my main criticisms of XIII wasn't its battle system anyway. For a "fantasy", its story is pretty boring/generic/insignificant. Final Fantasy IV started off as a medieval story about knights and ended up featuring spaceships and aliens on the moon. VI started off as a quirky steampunk story and ended up dark and post-apocalyptic. What does XIII do? It has a group of rebellious misfits defying an authority figure. And that's it, for the entire game. It doesn't even have any decent deaths - Vanille and Fang are technically still alive, and Yeul (the only likeable main character in XIII-2) dies a thousand times anyway - heck, the plot revolves around Caius trying to stop her chronic death syndrome. It's hard to feel sympathetic for her when she dies that many times. However, I have to give XIII-2 props for going interesting places with its story progression. It probably beats out VI, VII, and Tactics in the grimdark department with DAT ENDING.

tl;dr: My general point is that XIII(-2) is like Khloe Kardashian. Not terrible, but disappointing when compared to its sisters.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Actually, IV broke the tradition back in 1991. IV all the way to IX are ATB. XIII just introduced a shoddy modified version of IV's battle system that promotes laziness. It doesn't require strategy at all. You can just spam X and automatically win most battles. From IV to IX, you actually had to control multiple party members within the ATB time limits. IV had five party members that you were responsible for. It's especially brutal with the fastest ATB settings and no wait time set for spells/items.

Anyway, my main criticisms of XIII wasn't its battle system anyway. For a "fantasy", its story is pretty boring/generic/insignificant. Final Fantasy IV started off as a medieval story about knights and ended up featuring spaceships and aliens on the moon. VI started off as a quirky steampunk story and ended up dark and post-apocalyptic. What does XIII do? It has a group of rebellious misfits defying an authority figure. And that's it, for the entire game. It doesn't even have any decent deaths - Vanille and Fang are technically still alive, and Yeul (the only likeable main character in XIII-2) dies a thousand times anyway - heck, the plot revolves around Caius trying to stop her chronic death syndrome. It's hard to feel sympathetic for her when she dies that many times. However, I have to give XIII-2 props for going interesting places with its story progression. It probably beats out VI, VII, and Tactics in the grimdark department with DAT ENDING.

tl;dr: My general point is that XIII(-2) is like Khloe Kardashian. Not terrible, but disappointing when compared to its sisters.

Story is another subject that will cause the mother of all flame wars if discussed here.

If FFXIII battles are easy then I don't know what you are talking about. Sure if your characters are overleveled then its easy. But if you don't switch Paradigms in battle, you usually lose.

IV had a very limited form of ATB so I dunno what you are talking about. FFXIII lets you use items and spells without having a full ATB bar.

Also I found out recently that the battle system FFXIII uses is called CSB. (Command Synergy Battle)

But enough about this. We can agree that we all prefer different FF games. FFX is my favorite with VII in 2nd and XIII in 3rd.

If I played FF when I was younger then I-VI would probably be among my favorites. But the fact of the matter is that FF I-VI is old as hell. Even with the remakes.

Heck FFVII all the way to FFIX are old too as they released on the PS1.

Vernikova

Champion
But we aren't talking about Pokemon. Its like if Pokemon went ATB style and then went back to Turn Based style after everyone loved the ATB style.

Pokémon was merely an example. You're simply assuming that one will find a turn-based system jarring simply because it's different from what they play.

Do you agree with the notion that if someone keeps up-to-date on a turn based game in today's world that they won't have much problems adjusting to a game like VI from XIII?

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Pokémon was merely an example. You're simply assuming that one will find a turn-based system jarring simply because it's different from what they play.

Do you agree with the notion that if someone keeps up-to-date on a turn based game in today's world that they won't have much problems adjusting to a game like VI from XIII?

Yes I agree with the notion you proposed. You can still play the older games with little trouble. But there is always that thought in the back of your mind. That you wish the battles were more dynamic like the new FFXIII.

Like I stated in my first post, it will feel uncomfortable at times.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed

See what I mean? Sure it might not work like that for him but in some cases it can get boring. ATB style requires constant attention and on the spot changes to your strategy which is a great strong point of the FFXIII.

What about the scenario in which an ATB system was generally reviled, or even only met with a mixed reception? Going back to the old turn-based system in that case is hardly a stupid move.

And I, personally, much prefer thinking about every move I make, as opposed to (usually) mashing the confirm button or (occasionally) scrambling through menus so I don't waste the character's time. Which only really holds up with X or old FFs, but XIII does an exemplary job of jamming more decisions into less time (which is probably why you get to make so few, I guess).

If FFXIII battles are easy then I don't know what you are talking about. Sure if your characters are overleveled then its easy. But if you don't switch Paradigms in battle, you usually lose.

IV had a very limited form of ATB so I dunno what you are talking about. FFXIII lets you use items and spells without having a full ATB bar.

I guess ForeverFlame and I are just such pros at switching between 2-3 paradigms that we don't notice the inordinate difficulty. Unless you meant the bizarre design choices to have game over when one specific person dies and to allow the enemies to beat on you every time you make a "strategical" decision, then I suppose it's not quite as easy.

And the first ATB system, used in basically the same form in six other games, is limited, in comparison to choosing from an extremely short list of actions of one character? OK.

If I played FF when I was younger then I-VI would probably be among my favorites. But the fact of the matter is that FF I-VI is old as hell. Even with the remakes.

Heck FFVII all the way to FFIX are old too as they released on the PS1.

Gotta hand it to you for willfully ignoring great games because they're old. Thank God I don't watch movies, listen to music, or read literature older than me.

Yes I agree with the notion you proposed. You can still play the older games with little trouble. But there is always that thought in the back of your mind. That you wish the battles were more dynamic like the new FFXIII.

Unless, of course, you think it sucks compared to what the series has established. Changes aren't always positive.

Vernikova

Champion

Like I stated in my first post, it will feel uncomfortable at times.

Perhaps but if that is someone's worry then they probably should play many games before XIII right?

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Perhaps but if that is someone's worry then they probably should play many games before XIII right?

Well we can't all have been born in the late 1980s or early 90s when most of the old FF games came out.

The greatest part about FF IMO is the fact that you can get into the series at any point. Excluding I-IV I believe (correct me if I'm wrong please) without any continuity issues as all the games are set in a different universe, again excluding sequels and spin-offs.

So getting into FF by starting off in XIII isn't a bad thing. Sure old fans will whine about the "fact" that the person is playing a "bad" FF because it isn't one of the older titles but hey thats what trying all the FF games and forming your own opinion is about.

Topic time!

Whats your most hated memory in a FF game?

I hated this one time where I was playing FF III and I lost a huge 3 hour chunk of progress against the Cloud of Darkness thanks to a crappy save mechanic.

Vernikova

Champion
Well we can't all have been born in the late 1980s or early 90s when most of the old FF games came out.

My mistake. I meant shouldn't. A person who thinks that playing one of the old games would be boring shouldn't play them. After all, there's no point in playing a game if you think it will be boring.

Whats your most hated memory in a FF game?

Playing Duodecim.