• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Final Fantasy Discussion

Recon

I've combed through this thread quite a bit and noticed while we do talk about the main series, we don't say a lot about the spin-offs So I'm going to bring them up now. If you've played on of the spin-off FF games, which one did you play and what did you think about it?

The only Final Fantasy Spin-Off I've played is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, which was my first ever Final Fantasy game, which got me interested in the series. I liked turn-based strategy games and was looking around for a new game, and I happened to find this one. I loved it. The graphics, the vibrant colors, the story, the diversity of characters, I liked it a lot, which is what pulled me into the final Fantasy universe.

So, what's everyone else's story?

TerraWolf

Banned
Currently playing IV, VII, and IX. IX's ATB gauge is slow, Trance is barely useful (can't save it for a future battle like in VII) but the characters are interesting

Vernikova

Champion

I haven't played many spin-offs to be honest. I should get around to playing Tactics at some point but only own a DSi and PSP Go (and a console). Most of the spin-offs don't interest me in the slightest though.

MarbleZone

All lies and jest
FFVI is, by far, the best one of the main franchise in my opinion. Tactics is also incredible.

FFVII's praise is also mostly deserved. Sure, people tend to go overboard and make it sound like God's gift to console gaming, I think that's clearly excessive, but it was a superb RPG for its time, Lego models or not.

X and XII had their charms as well, XII in particular was a very interesting change in formula, even if it felt less "FF-ish".

Currently playing IV, VII, and IX. IX's ATB gauge is slow, Trance is barely useful (can't save it for a future battle like in VII) but the characters are interesting

Well, it'd be pretty broken if you could open a battle with Grand Lethal, particularly a major/final boss battle.

I've combed through this thread quite a bit and noticed while we do talk about the main series, we don't say a lot about the spin-offs So I'm going to bring them up now. If you've played on of the spin-off FF games, which one did you play and what did you think about it?

<snip? snip.>

I've played the first Tactics Advance. It's pretty fun, but the storyline is thin and the main character is either an inconsiderate prat because he falls specifically into a set of tropes or he's just a massive prick (which would be more interesting), the backstory felt under-displayed, and the stat scales just feel wrong.

FFVI is, by far, the best one of the main franchise in my opinion. Tactics is also incredible.

I wholeheartedly agree with you there, my good sir. VI is fantastic in almost every regard. The cast is such that I enjoyed everybody, and the main character especially, which I believe takes a lot more work to achieve. At least in this particular franchise.

FFVII's praise is also mostly deserved. Sure, people tend to go overboard and make it sound like God's gift to console gaming, I think that's clearly excessive, but it was a superb RPG for its time, Lego models or not.

I'm sorry, but the writing is just atrocious. I try and justify it as best I can by saying that it was just due to the time period, but the 6 previous games before it were infinitely better written as well.

X and XII had their charms as well, XII in particular was a very interesting change in formula, even if it felt less "FF-ish".

Problem with XII is, nobody can shape up to Vaan. Sure, the story is about Ashe and she is for all intents and purposes the main character, but Vaan is a vessel to move the story and characters forward, and given that design choice he is exceptionally well done, despite him being an everlasting derp.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Problem with XII is, nobody can shape up to Vaan. Sure, the story is about Ashe and she is for all intents and purposes the main character, but Vaan is a vessel to move the story and characters forward, and given that design choice he is exceptionally well done, despite him being an everlasting derp.

I'm recently starting to play this game, and it's a bit hard for me to understand the system. Luckily, I wi-

I'M BASCH FON RONSENBURG OF DALMASCA!

Beat!

The Chords of Steel

I agree. FFVI is the best one. The cast of characters, the soundtrack, the final battle, Kefka!

I enjoyed FF VII but not as much as VI.

Electivirus

Not really, no.
I'm sorry, but the writing is just atrocious. I try and justify it as best I can by saying that it was just due to the time period, but the 6 previous games before it were infinitely better written as well.

As much as I like VII's story, the poor localization certainly didn't do it any favors.

Recon

This is why when I heard that Vaan was going to be in Tactics Advance 2, I had second thoughts. But since he first showed up at the halfway point and didn't show until much later, I could tolerate his presence a bit. And even better, he actually wears a shirt in this game!

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Whenever I think of Final Fantasy XII, I remember Eruyt Village and the story of the Viera. They were an awesome race to introduce. Jote <3

LokiTheGengar

Sith Lord Victorious
I agree. FFVI is the best one. The cast of characters, the soundtrack, the final battle, Kefka!

I just got VI yesterday on VC. Even coming off of Zelda: Skyward Sword's glorious fully-orchestrated tunes, FFVI sounds damn good, helped by the fact that there's no voice acting to deliver some of those absurd one-liners. God help the "son of a submariner" who localized that game.

Vernikova

Champion
I just got VI yesterday on VC. Even coming off of Zelda: Skyward Sword's glorious fully-orchestrated tunes, FFVI sounds damn good, helped by the fact that there's no voice acting to deliver some of those absurd one-liners. God help the "son of a submariner" who localized that game.

You should play the GBA version.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I've played the first Tactics Advance. It's pretty fun, but the storyline is thin and the main character is either an inconsiderate prat because he falls specifically into a set of tropes or he's just a massive prick (which would be more interesting), the backstory felt under-displayed, and the stat scales just feel wrong.

I've heard this claim elsewhere, but I really don't understand how Marche is such a giant prick. Maybe it's because I played it so long ago now that I've simply forgotten, but at any rate, I don't remember that vibe. I also liked Advance more than A2, so maybe I have some sort of subconscious bias, I dunno.

Whenever I think of Final Fantasy XII, I remember Eruyt Village and the story of the Viera. They were an awesome race to introduce. Jote <3

Well... technically, the Viera were around at least as early as Tactics Advance (no idea if they were in Tactics; I need to play that at some point, as I've heard it's very good). I think the only new race XII had were the Seeq.

You should play the GBA version.

If you can find it. I actually just recently bought a copy of it off Amazon, but it was fake. Possibly still playable, but I'm still trying to find a real copy that won't cost +$80-100, so I don't have to go with the VC. I guess I should have been aware that the odds of it being counterfeit were above average, though.

Vernikova

Champion
If you can find it. I actually just recently bought a copy of it off Amazon, but it was fake. Possibly still playable, but I'm still trying to find a real copy that won't cost +$80-100, so I don't have to go with the VC. I guess I should have been aware that the odds of it being counterfeit were above average, though.

I didn't realize that it was that rare to be quite honest.

Last edited:

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed

Eh, maybe it's not. New ones are that expensive, but I've only recently turned to ordering it online, as opposed to perusing game shops for it whenever I found myself in one, so I might've just been unlucky. Still, I always hear about how prevalent counterfeits are with GBA games, such as Pokemon, so I guess I should've figured it'd be the same with others that can sell for a lot.

MarbleZone

All lies and jest
God help the "son of a submariner" who localized that game.

Ted Woolsey, though Nintendo America should be blamed primarily, he was just playing by their rules. Same guys who felt Hellfire was inappropriate for Ifrit's attack and replaced it with Inferno and turned "you can burn to death" into "welcome to my barbecue". Yeah, the script sounds terrible, and I've never seen a single game use so many synonyms for "dead" without ever using the actual word, but it's part of the charm, it really is.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Well... technically, the Viera were around at least as early as Tactics Advance (no idea if they were in Tactics; I need to play that at some point, as I've heard it's very good). I think the only new race XII had were the Seeq.

Oh you're right! I just checked it now. Most of the non-hume species from FFXII were introduced in Tactics Advance. That's quite interesting. I guess I didn't know because I've always sort of hated the Tactics games.

I've heard this claim elsewhere, but I really don't understand how Marche is such a giant prick. Maybe it's because I played it so long ago now that I've simply forgotten, but at any rate, I don't remember that vibe. I also liked Advance more than A2, so maybe I have some sort of subconscious bias, I dunno.

Basically, his whole goal is to destroy Mewt's dreamworld because it's not "normal"/he wants to go home. He does this knowingly.

Yes, it's oversimplification, but.

It's not. It's just that it's really hard to get hard copies of and people don't like to give theirs up. I think it's available on PSN, but that might only be the PS1 port.

Also, I feel like my interest in that game is waning a bit over time. But.