• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Final Fantasy Discussion

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not doubting your honesty, I was just surprised is all.

Have you played all the games in the "Lightning saga"?

Yeah, I beat all three XIII games and I played XIV for a few months. Other than that it's only Tactics Advance and I'm currently playing Bravely Default. Also Theatrhythm.

Austratus

a paper man
I don't think there will be FFXIV stuff at TGS. Squeenix is gonna hold their own conference for that.
They've had FFXIV events the whole of TGS, having to do with Ramuh.
Yeah, there's the Ramuh challenge, the Eorzean census (upcoming soon), as well as the rumored info about the patch. This falls at the tail end of XIV's anniversary festivities that have been going for the past month-ish-- not to mention that 2.4's launch falls before the XIV Fan fest in October, so and big info would be likely to be shown off now rather than later.

Why? Unless you don't have a PS4 or Xbox One, just wait for Type-0 HD. You get the game for free for buying a $60 demo of Final Fantasy XV. Also, the PSP version has severe balancing issues.
Don't you have it backwards? :p

Kidding aside, I have no plans-- immediate or near-future-- to get a new home-console. A relative *will* be picking up the HD port for themselves alongside their eventual PlayStation upgrade, but it's not feasible for me.

Yeah, I beat all three XIII games and I played XIV for a few months. Other than that it's only Tactics Advance and I'm currently playing Bravely Default. Also Theatrhythm.
That's not a bad taste, to be honest.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Go buy either FFT on PS1, or War of the Lions on PSP/Vita (all available on PSN). After that, go emulate them if you want. Tactics Advance and its sequel are inferior to the original

Don't you have it backwards? :p
The demo is 3-4 hours long. MGSV Ground Zeroes was only an hour long, and I paid $30 PLUS TAX for that. I should be paying SE $120 for such a long demo!

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Go buy either FFT on PS1, or War of the Lions on PSP/Vita (all available on PSN). After that, go emulate them if you want. Tactics Advance and its sequel are inferior to the original

I may play the original Tactics eventually, I want to play more of the numbered entries first. While I really, really enjoyed Tactics Advance the sequel is utter garbage and I couldn't play it for more than 3 hours.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I may play the original Tactics eventually, I want to play more of the numbered entries first. While I really, really enjoyed Tactics Advance the sequel is utter garbage and I couldn't play it for more than 3 hours.

OG Tactics is set in Ivalice. So you should also play the main FF game set in the same world, FFXII. Either import the International Zodiac Job System, or wait for an inevitable FFXII IZJB HD Remaster. Go get FFX/X-2 HD though. When you play FFX-2, you'll be embarrassed by the all-female cast being too girly and being all naked when changing dress spheres, only censored by a white glow. Then when you play FFXV, you'll also be embarrassed by the all male cast having a bromance, their job being to go on a road trip to get their prince hooked up to a beautiful blonde or something.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
OG Tactics is set in Ivalice. So you should also play the main FF game set in the same world, FFXII. Either import the International Zodiac Job System, or wait for an inevitable FFXII IZJB HD Remaster. Go get FFX/X-2 HD though. When you play FFX-2, you'll be embarrassed by the all-female cast being too girly and being all naked when changing dress spheres, only censored by a white glow. Then when you play FFXV, you'll also be embarrassed by the all male cast having a bromance, their job being to go on a road trip to get their prince hooked up to a beautiful blonde or something.

I'm probably going to play through FFI and FFII (I have the PSP remakes released a while back) after I finish Xillia 2, then I'll get X/X-2 HD.

There's also nothing wrong with a good bromance.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I'm probably going to play through FFI and FFII (I have the PSP remakes released a while back) after I finish Xillia 2, then I'll get X/X-2 HD.

Are the PSP versions of 1 and 2 even on PSN? The only ones I'm missing on my Vita (besides XI, XII, XIII trilogy, and FFXIV of course) are FFI, FFII, and FFIII. The 3DS is also getting a 3D version of FFI (not a remake, but how certain NES games get slightly updated to have the 3D on). Japanese players get it for free for buying FF Explorers, and I think it can be bought separately later. No word if US and EU are getting it.

And yeah, what I thought too. But then there are people complaining about the game being too much a sausage fest. Who wouldn't want a main FF game about something so laid back and new to the series as a Prince and his friends escaping their home, and going on a stupid and fun road trip to meet a Princess from another kingdom? Noctis isn't even the loner/serious type anymore like we all thought at the beginning, so it's nice to have a fun and happy protagonist once again since Vaan almost a decade ago.

Austratus

a paper man
The 3DS is also getting a 3D version of FFI (not a remake, but how certain NES games get slightly updated to have the 3D on). Japanese players get it for free for buying FF Explorers, and I think it can be bought separately later. No word if US and EU are getting it.
The original (Famicon) Final Fantasy is already on the eShop in Japan-- the version associated with FFE will have updated graphics along the lines of the PSP remake as well as 3D support.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Are the PSP versions of 1 and 2 even on PSN? The only ones I'm missing on my Vita (besides XI, XII, XIII trilogy, and FFXIV of course) are FFI, FFII, and FFIII. The 3DS is also getting a 3D version of FFI (not a remake, but how certain NES games get slightly updated to have the 3D on). Japanese players get it for free for buying FF Explorers, and I think it can be bought separately later. No word if US and EU are getting it.

As far as I know the PS verisons of FFI and FFII aren't on PSN but the version of FF1 included with Explorers is actually just the PSP game.

And yeah, what I thought too. But then there are people complaining about the game being too much a sausage fest. Who wouldn't want a main FF game about something so laid back and new to the series as a Prince and his friends escaping their home, and going on a stupid and fun road trip to meet a Princess from another kingdom? Noctis isn't even the loner/serious type anymore like we all thought at the beginning, so it's nice to have a fun and happy protagonist once again since Vaan almost a decade ago.

Everyone just needs to lighten up.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
As far as I know the PS verisons of FFI and FFII aren't on PSN but the version of FF1 included with Explorers is actually just the PSP game.

Everyone just needs to lighten up.
Ahh okay. I personally never liked the the older FFs. I didn't even like FFIV that much. Hated how they kept "killing off" party members and constantly changing my party.

It's just hypocritical when YRP got their own all-female game, and Lightning and Serah were the faces of FF for an entire console generation with the FFXIII trilogy. It's not like Ubisoft with their "It's hard to animate women". If the game doesn't call for a female party member, then no reason to force it. Original FFI model Goblins, FFV monsters, FFVI Magitech armors, Shakespearen influence, action RPG. FFXV is doing what seems to be calling back to the much older FFs, and also writing it around a story never before used in a FF game. Plus, FFIII NES was the first and only (until now) to have an all-male cast, so you could say it's also got a bit of "homage" to that game.

Austratus

a paper man
Finally got in my LE copy of Theatrhythm Curtain Call, yesterday.

I'll... be busy with this for a while. So much content.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Finally got in my LE copy of Theatrhythm Curtain Call, yesterday.

I'll... be busy with this for a while. So much content.

And yet they still won't put in the rest of Dancing Mad xD
Nah I know I can't complain really, compared to the first one there really is so much more music and stuff to do - I'd never even heard anything from Type-0, Crystal Chronicles or Chocobos Dungeon before I'd played this game, and I can't believe I'd been missing out on so many great tracks all this time. Plus we're getting new DLC tomorrow, so that's something to look forward to, yay.

Still not quite sure why Aerith's Theme is a BMS, though.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I bought it pretty much only to play Crazy Chocobo. I haven't played it a great deal yet, I'll probably start playing it more when my circle pad grips arrive.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I bought it pretty much only to play Crazy Chocobo. I haven't played it a great deal yet, I'll probably start playing it more when my circle pad grips arrive.

Crazy song is crazy. Still hunting a full combo on that one; best so far is 24 greats and 2 misses. But I'm mostly working on Force Your Way atm - want to see if I can match my full critical run from the first game.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Crazy song is crazy. Still hunting a full combo on that one; best so far is 24 greats and 2 misses. But I'm mostly working on Force Your Way atm - want to see if I can match my full critical run from the first game.

I played that one with a friend and we pretty much just stopped playing and laughed through the whole first half of the song. There's just no comparing its difficulty to the other songs I've played, was not expecting it at all.

Austratus

a paper man
Still not quite sure why Aerith's Theme is a BMS, though.
It's because they converted all of the previous EMS songs to either of the other types to throw in the new EMS stages.

Though, now that I think on it, it's appropriate that Aerith's Theme is BMS because it actually plays in a particular boss battle.

... the Jenova-LIFE battle following Aertih's death.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
It's because they converted all of the previous EMS songs to either of the other types to throw in the new EMS stages.

Yeah I know that, I was just thinking that it might have been more suited to being an FMS instead - but now I know that it was actually used as a battle bgm in the game, I'm more inclined to think that maybe it does work as a BMS after all.

It is a bit of a shame they had to get rid of the old EMS sequences though. Playing along with the Waltz for the Moon scene from VIII was one of my favourite things from the first game.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry

You should get Final Fantasy IV: The complete collection. This is arguably the definitive edition of Final Fantasy IV, although admittedly it is less difficult than other versions of Final Fantasy IV.