• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Final Fantasy Discussion

cryuel

Personally, I'd rather play the godawful Type-0 and Bravely Default's all 8 chapters agai... No, that game is just awful. I'd rather play and platinum Type-0 again than play FFIV. I hated that game. I think I only spent $10 on the PSP collection during a PSN FF sale, so at least the damage was lessened a bit.

Wait two more weeks. Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System HD might or might not be announced at Sony's or SE's E3 conference. Of course, you'll still have to wait several months (or even a year) after that for it to release, but that's enough time to play the others. Maybe even play the spin-offs, like Tactics or Dissidia.

That would be awesome if they (finally) announced that! :)

On what? If it's the Stella story, then WOW. They must have the best insiders or something because no one predicted that. Praise Kotaku, savior of gaming journalism!

FFXV Episode Duscae Ver. 2.0
Whoo! We get to fight the Catoblepas! And team attacks and manual dodge rolls are in! Glimpses of aerial attacks, and we can warp on top of rocks now. And looks like there's some new cutscenes added.

Not like we didn't know this before, but I'm sad to see Stella and, moreover, that specific scene omitted. :/ I mean, it's been here for pretty much a decade and now will be done away with. Would have liked to see how that ominous scene related to Etro.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
FFXV is cereal business, mang. I take no pleasure in making fun of this already grotesque and incompetently developed "game".

I just want to play it already. I missed out on Episode Cidney because I was always too busy with work but now that I have some free time I can no longer find any copies of Type-0 with the demo.

Wait, you didn't like Bravely Default? I've heard nothing but good things about it. I don't know whether it's "good" or not because I still haven't bought it but it surprises me that you didn't enjoy it because generally everyone I've spoken to has enjoyed the game. But this is your opinion and you are entitled to one so I will respect it and honestly some input would be good before I decide to spend money on a game I don't really know all that much about.

I just want to know who the rest of the characters are at least some backstory.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Episode Duscae, as in the name of the region the demo is set on. Personally think the whole Cidney debacle was way too overblown. Changing her design because she's "too sexy" pfft And pretty sure you can still find Day-1 copies of Type-0 everywhere, as it was overshipped. If nothing still, you can buy a code on eBay for ~$25.

If you can find the BD thread, you can see that I actually liked the game at first. But then I got disappointed somewhere, probably around Ch 3. It just got too formulaic and boring and everything felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again. Then Ch 5 came, and the whole game was pretty much repeated for 3 chapters straight to pad out content and the true ending. And it seems like Bravely Sequel also pretty much recycles a lot of things from BD. There are people who argue that gameplay matters most, but I don't care if you have awesome gameplay. If everything else sucks, then it's ultimately a horrible game IMO. Also, I actually liked Type-0 HD at first. But looking back, it's awful. Just the worst. $60 for it was and still is a rip-off.

Other characters in FFXV? Not much is known now that everything pre-2013 rereveal seems to be pretty much redone or erased completely, like the party scene. The Leviathan scene in the 2013 rereveal is also undergoing changes, as the devs are not sure whether to let you fight it underwater or not. Your party members are serving under your family and also your best friends. Stella is gone, most likely retooled into Luna. And everyone else is unknown.

cryuel

CANNOT believe it!!! I'm not one of those fanboys who thinks VII is the best VII ever made by any means (although I did enjoy the epic story a lot), but I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing what they make of the setting and the lore in beautiful PS4 3D!
Now, call me cynical, but it will likely take 7+ years for it to come out when they haven't even announced the release date (or year) of FFXV yet.. xD You'd think they'd want to get the latter game out this year due to the year symbolically overlapping.

Akashin

Now, call me cynical, but it will likely take 7+ years for it to come out when they haven't even announced the release date (or year) of FFXV yet.. xD You'd think they'd want to get the latter game out this year due to the year symbolically overlapping.

The NeoGAF user who first leaked this claimed they're aiming for a 2017 release. Time will tell, I imagine.

-Raiga-

Well, I'm happy they are "All in" with it at the very least. Because I'd prefer them to either A. Simply do an HD visual upgrade while changing absolutely nothing else, or B. What they are doing here and recreating the world from the ground up along with new dialgoue/gameplay to match the generation of system it's on.

I really do hope they pull an HG/SS with the music though, and only add stuff to the existing scores instead of remixing or changing it. Crisis Core decimated one of the greatest scores of all time(well, it screwed up about every other area of the game as well but..), so I don't want to see that repeated.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
CANNOT believe it!!! I'm not one of those fanboys who thinks VII is the best VII ever made by any means (although I did enjoy the epic story a lot), but I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing what they make of the setting and the lore in beautiful PS4 3D!
2017, FFVII's 20th Anniversary. FFXV and FFVIIR are done by two different teams.

Wow, Square Enix really pulled the "In case of emergency button" earlier than expected! It's just started development so we'll have to be patient.
No, they're perfectly fine financially. Mobile has been extremely successful and profitable for them. What they did say in regards to releasin so many JRPGs on PS4 however is because they want to help boost PS4 sales in Japan. I think this basically confirms Dragon Quest XI on PS4 because of the huge push they're trying to accomplish. Based on what has leaked, it seems pre-production was as early as 2013, early development last year, and full development started just a few months ago.

Navin

MALDREAD
Well, I'm happy they are "All in" with it at the very least. Because I'd prefer them to either A. Simply do an HD visual upgrade while changing absolutely nothing else, or B. What they are doing here and recreating the world from the ground up along with new dialgoue/gameplay to match the generation of system it's on. I really do hope they pull an HG/SS with the music though, and only add stuff to the existing scores instead of remixing or changing it. Crisis Core decimated one of the greatest scores of all time(well, it screwed up about every other area of the game as well but..), so I don't want to see that repeated.

If they do option B, then I hope they don't try to hurry to release and make sure everything is solid. The game will sell regardless, but positive reviewer feedback will boost sales too.

Hopefully, they port to PC too.

Although, I wish they would remake FFVI from ground up.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
If they do option B, then I hope they don't try to hurry to release and make sure everything is solid. The game will sell regardless, but positive reviewer feedback will boost sales too.

Hopefully, they port to PC too.

Although, I wish they would remake FFVI from ground up.
They're not. FFVIIR has been planned for at least two years now.

It is coming to PC. Just "First" on Playstation. Whether that means 6 months to a year to even longer, we don't know.

And FFVI remake is coming. Verendus, who teased FFVIIR in 2013, just teased it last week.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
They're not. FFVIIR has been planned for at least two years now.

It is coming to PC. Just "First" on Playstation. Whether that means 6 months to a year to even longer, we don't know.

And FFVI remake is coming. Verendus, who teased FFVIIR in 2013, just teased it last week.

That's cool for FFVI. I still haven't got to play it yet. Just give me a remake of FFV for the 3DS and I will be a happy Platinum fan.

As for the remake of FFVII, how amazing I just played the game for the first time this year and now they are remaking it. Does that mean Aeris won't get to say "This guy are sick" I loved that. They have to keep that. I've said that FFVII didn't age that well, but for the most part I could enjoy it. And since I just played it and ranted on my hatred for Ruby Weapon. I would certainly play FFVII again and I think it's cool it's getting a remake. I'm not sure if I want to get the remake seeing as I have the original one, but I think it's great for all the fans who wanted a updated version. I'm sure watching Cloud and friends kill Ruby Weapon in HD will be wonderful. I still hate Ruby Weapon.

-Raiga-

Honestly now that I think of it, I really don't get why they didn't opt to just do a sequel? If history has taught us anything, you make a knockout remake and no matter what it will never be mentioned in the same breath as the original (see Link between worlds or HG/SS). I honestly can't think of a single remake that was successful than it's predecessor in terms of money, critics, etc. combined.

But by doing a sequel you don't tarnish the original game at all, and in allows them to make all of the changes they are seemingly preparing for this remake without backlash from long-time fans. Now, I get that advent children was a sequel of sorts, but that doesn't mean an incredibly varied world like FF7's doesn't have more stories to tell.

Oh well, I'm sure the guaranteed money is at least part of the reason for this remake, so I guess it's the safer route to go.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
That's cool for FFVI. I still haven't got to play it yet. Just give me a remake of FFV for the 3DS and I will be a happy Platinum fan.
Nothing teased for FFV yet. There's even a FFX spin-off teased. SE's already busy with both FFVII and FFVI remakes, and the 3DS will most likely be dying or dead (next platform already out) by the time they get around to it.

Honestly now that I think of it, I really don't get why they didn't opt to just do a sequel? If history has taught us anything, you make a knockout remake and no matter what it will never be mentioned in the same breath as the original (see Link between worlds or HG/SS). I honestly can't think of a single remake that was successful than it's predecessor in terms of money, critics, etc. combined.

But by doing a sequel you don't tarnish the original game at all, and in allows them to make all of the changes they are seemingly preparing for this remake without backlash from long-time fans. Now, I get that advent children was a sequel of sorts, but that doesn't mean an incredibly varied world like FF7's doesn't have more stories to tell.

Oh well, I'm sure the guaranteed money is at least part of the reason for this remake, so I guess it's the safer route to go.
Because fans have been asking for a remake for almost a decade. They didn't ask for a sequel, just a remake. Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus are sequels. Besides, a true FFVII-2 would cause 100x more backlash than this will ever make.

And yes, there is at least one single remake that was successful, and that is Resident Evil 1 Remake.

Navin

MALDREAD
Honestly now that I think of it, I really don't get why they didn't opt to just do a sequel? If history has taught us anything, you make a knockout remake and no matter what it will never be mentioned in the same breath as the original (see Link between worlds or HG/SS). I honestly can't think of a single remake that was successful than it's predecessor in terms of money, critics, etc. combined. But by doing a sequel you don't tarnish the original game at all, and in allows them to make all of the changes they are seemingly preparing for this remake without backlash from long-time fans. Now, I get that advent children was a sequel of sorts, but that doesn't mean an incredibly varied world like FF7's doesn't have more stories to tell. Oh well, I'm sure the guaranteed money is at least part of the reason for this remake, so I guess it's the safer route to go.

Perhaps it's because they don't want to tarnish the original story and characters by making a potentially sub-par sequel (Dirge of Cerberus got poor to mixed reviews). People already claim SE has milked the game enough. Then again, Dirge's ending left room for a follow-up.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a sequel either. But, Advent Children seemed to bring a close to Cloud's tale.

Akashin

Huh? A Link Between Worlds is a sequel, not a remake.

But yeah, it's like Void Ventus said. A remake is what everybody's been asking for, not (another) sequel.

Recon

I'm going to say I'm cautiously optimistic about the remake. I mean Square doesn't have the BEST track record let's be honest.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I'm going to say I'm cautiously optimistic about the remake. I mean Square doesn't have the BEST track record let's be honest.

Square does have an incredibly track record. FFI-XI, KH, Vagrant Story, Chrono Trigger, DQI-VII, FF Tactics, Xenogears, etc etc.

Square had one horrible console generation, whoop-de-doo. As Square Enix, they still had KHII and BbS, DQVIII-IX, FFXII and FFXIV A Realm Reborn, Deux Ex Human Revolution, Sleeping Dogs, etc etc.

...It's perfectly fine to still be cautious though, but for me it's mostly because of Nomura. He was director for FFXV, KHIII, now FFVIIR. FFVIIR in general is pretty much already a completed game just needing several significant modern upgrades, so it's nothing like FFXV and KHIII, but this dude just can't keep still. Always gotta get his grubby hands on everything.

Recon

Square does have an incredibly track record. FFI-XI, KH, Vagrant Story, Chrono Trigger, DQI-VII, FF Tactics, Xenogears, etc etc.

Square had one horrible console generation, whoop-de-doo. As Square Enix, they still had KHII and BbS, DQVIII-IX, FFXII and FFXIV A Realm Reborn, Deux Ex Human Revolution, Sleeping Dogs, etc etc.

...It's perfectly fine to still be cautious though, but for me it's mostly because of Nomura. He was director for FFXV, KHIII, now FFVIIR. FFVIIR in general is pretty much already a completed game just needing several significant modern upgrades, so it's nothing like FFXV and KHIII, but this dude just can't keep still. Always gotta get his grubby hands on everything.

Should have rephrased that to say RECENT track record. Oh well. Still cautiously optimistic.