• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Final Fantasy Discussion

Akashin

"Sigh", okay.

Oh wait Nomura is the project director, okay then.

I guess.

I guess I'll play it when it releases fifteen years from now.

You're free to wait fifteen years to play it if you feel like it, but--as has been stated numerous times already--the plan is currently for FF7R to coincide with FF7's 20th anniversary in 2017.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Plans can fail.

Akashin

Hence my saying, "currently."

All I was saying was that, as it stands, we have something resembling an idea of when we can expect the game.

I'll be glad when the current project is done. There's nothing fabula about Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy games.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I'm aware. Doesn't change the fact that it's not a particularly apt one at the moment.

It's perfectly apt, how long have we been waiting for Versus XIII, which is now XV?

Just trying to liven up the mood.

@KantoPkmnMaster: I see what you did there.

Last edited:

Akashin

It's perfectly apt, how long have we been waiting for Versus XIII, which is now XV?

Just trying to liven up the mood.

@KantoPkmnMaster: I see what you did there.

My sense of humour could use some serious work anyway, so fair enough.

My sense of humour could use some serious work anyway, so fair enough.
I'm more susceptible to offensive humor myself. The best humor is that which takes no prisoners.
On a FF related note however, what are the thoughts on the other Final Fantasy game that was announced? Will you actually play it?

cryuel

Wow, Square Enix really pulled the "In case of emergency button" earlier than expected! It's just started development so we'll have to be patient.

Of course this would be the go-to game in case of an emergency, but I don't think that is why they're making it. They likely had plans for it way back in pre-PS3 days and like FFXV decided to move it to PS4, though likely didn't start producing it for PS3 in contrast to Versus XIII. Square Enix is doing very well financially now, particularly with the success of XIV, so the way I see it FFVIIR allows them to gain reputation in succession to FFXIV:ARR and with that reputation allow to widen their financial and creative scope for future games.
A 3D remake of VI would be awesome~

2017, FFVII's 20th Anniversary. FFXV and FFVIIR are done by two different teams.

No, they're perfectly fine financially. Mobile has been extremely successful and profitable for them. What they did say in regards to releasin so many JRPGs on PS4 however is because they want to help boost PS4 sales in Japan. I think this basically confirms Dragon Quest XI on PS4 because of the huge push they're trying to accomplish. Based on what has leaked, it seems pre-production was as early as 2013, early development last year, and full development started just a few months ago.

Not saying they're the same teams, although if we are to be technical the directors were the same for quite a while there. ;) The average main title FF game since FFX takes about 7 years to make though.

-Raiga-

Of course this would be the go-to game in case of an emergency, but I don't think that is why they're making it. They likely had plans for it way back in pre-PS3 days and like FFXV decided to move it to PS4

I think this was a safe bet too. While I do feel the tech demo they made of the game for the PS3 really was all it was intended to do, one can't help but imagine they were testing the waters for how strong interest in a remake would really be. And, if the intention was really only to make a graphical/audio update to the existing version, than I think the PS3 would have been a better choice, especially now knowing how much of a jrpg workhorse the console turned out to be.

But yeah it doesn't feel like an emergency button type situation to me, which is why I'm actually fairly excited for it. If the game is truly being done for the sake of the 20th anniversary, it reassures me a bit that the game won't deviate too much from areas that were already proven to be golden.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
So, I heard That the remake of FFVII will have a different battle system. Not the ATB bar. I've only played V, VII, VIII, and IX so far so I don't know how Final Fantasy is beyond the ATB bar yet. Some fans are really happy it might be gone, others are raging about it possibly being gone. The rumor is it's going to be something like Advent Children. I didn't grow up with VII, nor is it my favorite FF that I have played (but it is really good) so to any who have a opinion on the matter, how do you feel about a Advent Children influenced battle system? For me, it doesn't matter but I get why both sides are either happy or mad/sad about it.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Considering AC is a movie, not a game, there's 100% of its "battle system" not affecting FFVIIR.

What AC had however is flashy and acrobatic fight scenes. Fights during motorcycle bike chases against The Three Stooges (exponentially more ambitious than FFVII's escape from Midgar bike chase), acrobatic and aerial tree traversal fight against Wannaberoth, acrobatic and destructible environment fight against Moe, vertical aerial party co-op against Bahamut, and insane animu fight against Sephideux. Taking inspiration from AC would either mean copying KHII high level Critical playstyle, or late game FFXV gameplay (if it's going to retain the fast paced combat it was supposed to have back when it was still vsXIII).

I'd rather it not be turn-based anyway.

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
A change in the battle system was inevitable.

Don't care that much that it's being changed. I am gonna wait and see what the system is like.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
BTW, Gamescom is this week (next week?), so expect more new FFXV info and gameplay as was confirmed shortly before E3.

So apparently there may also be a Final Fantasy XII remake in the works if the recent rumors are to be believed.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
So apparently there may also be a Final Fantasy XII remake in the works if the recent rumors are to be believed.

It's XII HD Remaster, not remake. Verendus from NeoGAF has been right on all of his game leaks so far (except for release dates, there were no KH game(s) on PS4 in 2014).