• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Final Fantasy Discussion

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
If you mean re-release by a new platform with slightly touched up and not something releasing the same untouched game on the WiiWare/Eshop and PSN, then FFIX, XI, and XII have yet to get re-released.

I meant re-release in the general sense that a game's been released again since its original launch, but I digress...
And I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I know plenty of people who enjoyed FFIX despite what sales say.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Modern SQEX's thought process indicates that this is the reason why, which sucks.
It still outsold 6/14 FF games so far. But why would Square Enix care? SquareSoft didn't become Square Enix until after KHI came out, two years after FFIX came out.
I meant re-release in the general sense that a game's been released again since its original launch, but I digress...
And I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I know plenty of people who enjoyed FFIX despite what sales say.
Then every FF game so far has been rereleased. FFIX got a PSN PS1 Classics re-release. FFXI released on PC, then PS2, then Xbox 360 a few years later. And FFXII got an updated re-release called IZJS that still came out on PS2.

While the game sold less than FFVIII and nowhere near FFVII's, the game still sold 5M+ and is the second best rated FF game under FFVI. That clearly shows a lot of people liked the game, and so did I. Kuja sucked, the final final boss came out of nowhere, and Tetra Master was inferior to Triple Triad though.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
It still outsold 6/14 FF games so far. But why would Square Enix care? SquareSoft didn't become Square Enix until after KHI came out, two years after FFIX came out.

Then every FF game so far has been rereleased. FFIX got a PSN PS1 Classics re-release. FFXI released on PC, then PS2, then Xbox 360 a few years later. And FFXII got an updated re-release called IZJS that still came out on PS2.

While the game sold less than FFVIII and nowhere near FFVII's, the game still sold 5M+ and is the second best rated FF game under FFVI. That clearly shows a lot of people liked the game, and so did I. Kuja sucked, the final final boss came out of nowhere, and Tetra Master was inferior to Triple Triad though.

I love Final Fantasy IX! Is it really the second best under FFVI? How nice. I thought Kuja was a cool villain. Kinda girly looking but interesting. Though I must say I'm glad Kuja's not everywhere like Sephiroth is. It would probably have turned me off to the character. Overexposure is a big turn off for me. Will agree about the final final boss. He was not needed, they could have just like given Kuja another form. Tetra Master wasn't nearly as good as Triple Triad. I like FF9 overall over FF8, but when it came to the card games, FF8 was the superior one. Triple Triad was pretty fun. When you aren't playing with the rules Same and Plus. Random can be easily dealt with by just offing your weak card till you have nothing but good strong ones.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
lol I never actually got into Triple Triad and FF8 happens to be my favorite Final Fantasy game... I just never got into it for some reason. Maybe it's because I suck at card games. :p

SBaby

Dungeon Master
^ I had no idea FFXII HD was coming out! I'll admit, I had little love for the original release because I just couldn't get into the gambit system, but I'm willing to give it another try. Hopefully this time, I'm able to stay the course instead of letting my brother finish the game for me. lol

FFXII is undeniably the best FF game to come out of the PS2 era. There are very few drawbacks, and most of them don't detract from the overall value of the game or storyline (except for Vaan and Penelo who are pointless to the plot and never shut up, but everything else is so epic that it's more forgivable). And on top of that, the game takes place in Ivalice, by far the most interesting setting in the entire Final Fantasy franchise.

Last edited:

Austratus

a paper man
The new trailer for FFXIV's next major patch, version 2.5 (Before the Fall), was released today.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
I only beat FFX and FFXII when they were on the PS2, I have the FFX HD remake and keep getting murdered by Yunalesca's second form, I haven't gone back to it in nearly 10 months because of that. I do love 10 though, it was the first one with actual voices and it made me cry at the end, hey I was 19 at the time so...

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
lol I never actually got into Triple Triad and FF8 happens to be my favorite Final Fantasy game... I just never got into it for some reason. Maybe it's because I suck at card games. :p
Try Triple Triad again. You might just enjoy it next time you play.

I only beat FFX and FFXII when they were on the PS2, I have the FFX HD remake and keep getting murdered by Yunalesca's second form, I haven't gone back to it in nearly 10 months because of that. I do love 10 though, it was the first one with actual voices and it made me cry at the end, hey I was 19 at the time so...
Not including a cutscene skip in the HD remaster is a joke. I had no problem with Yunalesca at all, but for those who did like you, having to watch the 10 or so minutes of cutscene before the fight every time you die and restart is just absurd. FFX's ending song was okay. At least it wasn't as bad as FFXIII's My Hands and the lyrics making zero sense in correlation to the ending scene.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
I never played 13 everyone warned me away of how bad it was even though I bought to for my PS3, it was the first game I got for it and I haven't even touched it.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I never played 13 everyone warned me away of how bad it was even though I bought to for my PS3, it was the first game I got for it and I haven't even touched it.

Play FFXIII. People hate it too much. It's really not a bad game at all, considering it's as linear as FFX, which you have played. FFXIII-2 is fine too, but you can decide for yourself if you want to keep playing this time travel bullshet after you've finished FFXIII.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I thought FFXIII as great, and XIII-2 and XIII-3 are both good as well, I'm not sure what it is that people don't like about them. I thought the story and world were pretty cool and the characters are likeable enough, with one or two exceptions. But that's pretty normal.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I thought FFXIII as great, and XIII-2 and XIII-3 are both good as well, I'm not sure what it is that people don't like about them. I thought the story and world were pretty cool and the characters are likeable enough, with one or two exceptions. But that's pretty normal.
It's the linear design, which FFX also had. And Hope and Vanille as the annoying kids (I don't remember if Palompolum were annoying, but I never cared about those twins). I have no idea what people say when they say the game "plays itself". Doesn't every FF play itself? You're just choosing commands and waiting for them to activate to deal damage. The final Cieth mission, Vicetrex or something like that, was more difficult for me than FFVII's end-game Weapons.

EDIT: Tales of Hearts R is your only unfinished game? O Backloggery master!
And was that your review on ToS: DotNW? Is it that bad?

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
It's the linear design, which FFX also had. And Hope and Vanille as the annoying kids (I don't remember if Palompolum were annoying, but I never cared about those twins). I have no idea what people say when they say the game "plays itself". Doesn't every FF play itself? You're just choosing commands and waiting for them to activate to deal damage. The final Cieth mission, Vicetrex or something like that, was more difficult for me than FFVII's end-game Weapons.

Yeah Hope and Vanille are the only annoying ones, and Hope's better in XIII-2 and XIII-3. As for linearity, that's exactly what I expect from JRPGs. I just watch some animes go through some sort of ridiculous plot and then the credits rolled after I pressed a few buttons and some flashy things happened.

EDIT: Tales of Hearts R is your only unfinished game? O Backloggery master!
And was that your review on ToS: DotNW? Is it that bad?

My only unfinished game that I plan on actually playing, I have a ton of games that I just accepted I had no real interest in ever playing.

And I'd rather not talk about DotNW.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I don't have a PS3, because I'm poor. Never got anything past the PS2, so XII is as high as I can go in terms of actually playing the game. At least as far as I know. Since I won't be getting a PS3 or PS4 anywhere in the near future, I watched one of the XIII and XIII-2 movies. I can't comment on the gameplay. I know many people bash it and say XIII was like one long hallway. I haven't actually played the game, so I can't judge that. But from the characters I got to see were pretty interesting. I got attached to them just by watching their stories unfold. And call me crazy but I kinda liked XIII-2's story more. I actually found XIII-2's story easier to follow then XIII. If I ever get a PS3, I want to get these games.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
Maybe I will play 13 eventually, I have a new TV so it's not dark as hell anymore and bigger so the text doesn't make me squint or have to stand close to the TV to read it. It's on top of my armoire so it's kinda far from my bed which is the only real seating I have in this room. The ones who warned me away are my boyfriend and his PSN/Skype crowd, they waste hours on end on 14 so I often feel left out when I do see my boyfriend. I mean there's only so many Titan Extreme modes I can take watching over and over and over again before I just want to smash his PS4 out sheer boredom.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't have a PS3, because I'm poor. Never got anything past the PS2, so XII is as high as I can go in terms of actually playing the game. At least as far as I know. Since I won't be getting a PS3 or PS4 anywhere in the near future, I watched one of the XIII and XIII-2 movies. I can't comment on the gameplay. I know many people bash it and say XIII was like one long hallway. I haven't actually played the game, so I can't judge that. But from the characters I got to see were pretty interesting. I got attached to them just by watching their stories unfold. And call me crazy but I kinda liked XIII-2's story more. I actually found XIII-2's story easier to follow then XIII. If I ever get a PS3, I want to get these games.

I think XIII's story is a lot easier to follow than the time-travelling paradox-filled XIII-2.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I think XIII's story is a lot easier to follow than the time-travelling paradox-filled XIII-2.

Lol we had an argument about this before. I still think time travel was a retcon and FFXIII was able to stand by itself

You don't need a PS3/360 to play FFXIII. You can buy it on Steam, or rent in on your PS4/Vita/supported mobile devices through Playstation Now and stream it from there. I have a horrible 10DOWN/0.9UP even with a wired connection, and the service still runs pretty great.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster

I had a easier time with XIII-2 for whatever reason. I got it right away and didn't have to wrap my mind around it like XIII's plot.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I had a easier time with XIII-2 for whatever reason. I got it right away and didn't have to wrap my mind around it like XIII's plot.

I don't believe you. FFXIII-2 was still very confusing even after playing FFXIII.

Kinda lame that it looks like the FFXV demo isn't coming out the same day as Type-0 HD. They've already cut out magic in the demo, and just recently, Tabata confirmed we won't even be able to drive the car. Just how much are they going to cut?? Maybe he should have said no to freaking Mevius and focused on XV instead, freaking typical Squeenix.